Ch:26 – Cycle Three
819 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Poll out on patreon to decide Mio path! Since it's a loop story, from time to time, I'll allow the majority in there, to take on some decisions.

 

Once Angelica was out of sight, definitely not including me on her agenda and company, I heard the wolf calling out for Medusa.

“Take her to the next exam.”

“Evaluation next, is it?” 

“Correct. Now go,” he scorned us, still upset from being bullied by me, showing us a half-ferocious face, allowing the menacing fangs to be seen. But surely, it didn’t last long, as it was replaced by what looked to be a friendly grin, of someone who could handle some jokes.

I waved him goodbye, causing Medusa to lead the way out to what was called the training field. Upon arriving there, I got a glimpse of the barren lands which were flattened to avoid anyone getting hurt by tripping. It was wide enough to be able to run for quite a while. Surely, forth and back would allow any of us to run endlessly if it came to it.

A group of spirits ran on this field, along with an instructor who stared at them, yelling from time to time, “the last one to end the thirty laps will run five more!”

‘That’s so gruesome...’ I complained in my mind, understanding this was likely part of my fate.

“I’ve brought the new recruiter, ma’am.” The width of her back, arms, and legs, as she turned, became unfathomable to my eyes, as it was all firm muscles. The many lines that pressured the clothes to the point of almost ripping with the slightest movement made my mouth open, wondering when such would happen. It made me wonder if she was human at all.

“A child?” Her tone was rough, almost mistaking it for a male one.

“Greetings, ma’am, I’m Mio,” I focused on my information, allowing the parameters to be shown to her.

“But a child?” She seemed nervous, realizing why I had this name, still unable to accept a part of me. “Merely 8 years old with...”

Her finger hovered at the numbers, then her eyes glanced at me, then at the information once more. Her reactions were many, from resolute, to her eyebrows raising whenever she did some calculations, to the faint grins as if satisfied about something.

“What am I gonna do with you,” she pondered for a while, causing the rest of the spirits to halt and blank out at my existence. They seemed grateful to me as I stole the instructor's attention. However, their legs seemed in suffering, shaking from running, possibly a consequence of the addition of other exercises. 

“Are you Mio’s incarnation?” With a swift sway of her head, she added, “That’s not right. I meant if you are Mio’s reincarnation since her body is gone.”

“I’ve just been given the same name.”

“In that case,” her bulky arms crossed one another, causing the biceps to get even thicker. “What do you wish for?”

‘Everyone seems to ask me the same,’ I sighed, feeling rather tired from the subject.

I extended my arms to the side, turning my palms to one another as if holding something very big, “I want enough power to do as I please.”

“Definitely not the same spirit. The old Mio fought to protect others and defeat evil if necessary.”

Her arm extended all the way in my direction, ending with an index finger and a strangely polished long and sharp nail.

“You seek far more.” She grinned, allowing her eyes to roam to my information, “endless potential. Your wish does fit your future talent.”

At her words, I gleamed happily, hoping that this meant she would teach me the way.

“You can join the others.”

“Sure,” as soon as I did, her words pierced the air, causing a fake sense of turbulence, but loud enough to make my ears hurt.

“Back to running! You measly group of spiritual nuggets!”

From the distance of the instructor and far closer to me, I could hear a girl who seemed close in age speak, “why does she keep calling us some sort of food?”

“Nuggets?”

“Blocks of chicken meat that go into the oven,” she clarified whilst panting.

This conversation gave way for a red-skinned spirit to speak his mind, “we’re pieces of a bird who can’t even fly.”

They laughed, giving me a strange sense of comfort but also of unity. It seemed these would be my new allies, possibly friends one day, but it was too early to tell what this cycle had in wait for me.

“I’m Red, an orc, she’s...” we glanced at the girl who looked like she’d faint at any given time.

“Name is Mimi, nice meeting ya Mio.”

“Same here.”

“Less conversation more running! You scoundrels! And what are you doing here looking at them? Go join them!” Quickly, I saw her grab Medusa by the collar, throwing her at us, causing some of us to fall like pins in a bowling ball game.

“What are you guys doing resting on the dirt? Up and running lads!” 

By supporting each other, we got up. I could tell getting my legs to work like they hadn’t in a while was quite the effort, ‘tiring but it’ll help me get used to this body.’

Since I hadn’t had the chance to stay alive for a long time before, I ran at a far lower pace than them, being the slowest of them all. That got me to take a sight of their backs, ‘are they new too?’ 

After counting them along with myself, the total number of spirits was eight. Certainly, this wasn’t all Angelica had for an army. My heart stood hopeful for that to be the case, not that war was something that I looked forward to.

‘If I become strong...’ things like killing might become inevitable. I took a deep breath, trying my hardest to come to terms with it. 

‘Unlike Earth, things like taking lives are acceptable...’ the possibilities of my future deeds increased, reducing a bit of my humanity to gain a bit of resistance to the cruel events that passed and which some may repeat.

15