Chapter Eight. The Club, First Day.
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a start, Cami sat up, momentarily confused at being by herself in a strange bed, in a strange room. An alcove really, privacy granted by heavy curtains. Looking at her comm she saw that it was almost the seventh period and she had time before she would leave with Nia and others on her first day. Cami decided that she would rise early and get ready before the others.

Lying in bed, and feeling foolish about her thoughts the previous night, Cami wondered idly about the society she had been born into. She had wondered before why they people of Ti Lepus had split themselves up in the various classes the way that they had. Also, why were the Council of Ministers elected only by high status men? She had never discussed this, and other things she had wondered about, with anyone else as she was afraid that they would laugh and tell others. That would be bad and cost her and her family status.

As her brother had said, that loss is what everyone feared. They all wanted to climb the ladder of their society and join the high status. Cami knew that the ‘sis’ in her name told everyone that she was a member of the lowest group of the servant class, the same way that the ‘ot’ in Nia’s name told Cami that Nia’s family was in the lowest level in the service class but that also meant that Nia had more status than Cami as the service class was ranked higher. Who had decided all this? Cami wondered to herself. And why was it so important at the time? The school texts had been silent on that point and she remembered the danger about asking the teachers that question. She also remembered the people of the underclass that she had seen from the flyer. They obviously weren’t happy as the warning from her guardian had made very clear. This can’t go on, can it? She thought. She shivered as she realised that what she had thought was dangerous for her to tell anyone.

Looking at the time on her comm which now read point five into the seventh period, she decided that she would rise, wash and go to the common room where the kitchen was and get breakfast. Quietly, so as not to disturb the girls that she was rooming with, she rose and slipped into the bathroom. By the start of the eighth period she was dressed in her second best smock, had taken the elevator to the correct floor and was walking down the corridor to the combination kitchen, dining room and common room. Apart from a few staff, the room was empty.

“Ah, new girl, couldn’t sleep, right?” The matronly cook behind the service counter smiled a good morning to a suddenly nonplused Cami, unused to being greeted this way by strangers.

“Yes, strange bed.” Cami managed.

“Of course, quite normal.” Was the cheerful reply. “Let’s get you fed. Trays are at the end.” A pointed finger showed where. “Now what’ll you have?”

At a loss, she had never eaten this way, Cami surveyed the choices in front of her. Picking foods more or less at random, some because they looked familiar and asking what others were, Cami soon had what she hoped was a reasonable meal along with a small pot of tea. Taking a seat near a window, Cami sat down to breakfast and at the same time, admired the canyon landscape. I wish father had explained about eating like this, she thought wistfully as she ate.

Finished, the young girl took the tray, stacked with her dishes, apart from the cup of tea she had left at her table, to where the soiled dishes were left then returned to her seat. Several other girls had wandered in and been served, this included Nia and her other two roommates.

“Up early I see.” Nia nodded to Cami, as she took a seat opposite her at the same table. They chatted for a while, exchanging stories. Nia picked at her food and asked Cami where she came from. Surprised, Nia made the obvious remark. “That’s a long way away.”

“Yes, it is.”

“How did the club find you?” Nia ate as she talked.

Cami stared at the way Nia’s breakfast of sausages and bird eggs along with some vegetable roots was disappearing. It was a combination that Cami felt clashed with her own breakfast of cereals and the milk of a domesticated herbivore.

At Nia’s repeated question, Cami, deciding not to say anything about the strange episode a few months earlier, shook her head and answered. “I don’t know. Someone must have told them about me because the counsellor at my old school said that she had received a request for an assessment of me several months before,” Cami shrugged, “that’s all I know.”

“Hmm.” Nia leant over the table, “That’s strange. Maybe it was a gray, keeping an eye on you/” She wagged her eyebrows up and down.

Cami didn’t smile but she gave the sort of look that a fourteen year old girl gives when someone is being silly and said so.

“Well it is strange.” Nia said in her defence.

Checking her time, Cami saw that it was almost at the ninth period, she stood. “I must go and check everything that I need. I don’t want to make any mistakes on my first day.”

“Oh you will but don’t worry, just don’t make them again on the second day. That could hurt you!” Nia gave her a look that, if it wasn’t a smile, was still somewhat comforting. Walking out, Cami saw that her other two roommates were still eating their own breakfast, something that Cami was glad of. Getting ready was going to be ordeal enough.

In her room she cleaned herself up and collected all the items that she was going to need. Some makeup, which she had never worn before; spare underwear and a spare top to go under the smock. She also had a cheap and somewhat gaudy hair band, an adornment that she had never worn before either but had been told to bring. Her costume that she would wear was waiting for her at the club. A woman employed by the club would help her with her makeup and check her before she went out amongst the patrons.

Finally ready, she sat on her bed and checked the time. Deciding not to wait any longer, she stood up, raised her chin, squared her shoulders and left for the Trigon Club.

*********

Arriving early, Cami used her implant as she had been instructed yesterday and let herself in through the side door. Going straight to the changing room, she went immediately to her assigned locker and started to undress. “Hello, Cami.” Caused the young woman to jump. Turning around she saw an attractive, dark haired young woman wearing the same lingerie that was the clubs ‘uniform’ watching her. Instinctively, she covered herself with her hands and the clothes she was holding.

“Dara is no longer your mentor. She got a contract last night.” The young woman stepped closer. “I am Lin ion Jun and your new mentor.”

“Oh.” Cami stared at Lin.

“Yes.” Lin shrugged. “It happens. Any of us can get a contract at any time.”  Lin’s look turned speculative. “You didn’t wait for her this morning but left on your own. Why?”

“I wanted to get here early. I am used to doing things on my own, after all I am two years older than my sisters and my brother Tremma is two years older than me.” For some reason Cami found it easy to talk to Lin.

“A little independent are we,” Lin raised an eyebrow, “You will have to be careful with that, some of the high status women like to see some independence, others don’t” Lin turned business like. “Now hang your clothes up and I will show you around. You know where to put your key?” Cami nodded. Her implants would lock the plastic key into a special holder. This was done so that the management could, if necessary, get into any of the lockers using their own key. The code for the use of the personal implants was supposed to be unbreakable, contrary to rumors that the grays knew how to. This was quickly done.

“Ok, let’s go get your uniform and see the madam who will show you what to do with your face.”

Lin turned away but Cami stood exactly where she was. “I don’t have anything to wear.” She stuttered, trying to cover her nudity with her hands.

“All the other girls will be just the same when they arrive. You’ll see.” Lin turned back to Cami. “You’ll have to get used to it, in a period you’ll be out there with a dozen other girls and you’ll have to show yourself off,” Lin struck a poise, “just like me!”

Slowly dropping her hands, Cami moved forward. Again her chin went up and she squared her shoulders. If she can do it, so can I, ran through her mind as she gathered the makeup, head band and followed Lin ion Jun to the artist who would do the makeup.

On the way Lin stopped at a set of tall cupboards and opened them. “Do you remember your sizes?”  She asked Cami who passed the information over. Lin showed the sizes to Cami as she removed the correct set of bra and panties, passing them over.

“Don’t put them on yet, you’ll want to get your face done first,” Lin cautioned Cami, “You don’t want to get any makeup on them!”

Cami agreed and in a fraction she was sitting and a kind looking, elderly lady who cooed ‘ohh’ and ‘ahh” over her facial structure said, “You don’t need much help my dear, we will be subtle and will quickly have you in your costume!’

Before she knew it, Cami was dressed, hair and face made up, hair band in place and ready for her first day as a hostess in the Trigon Club.

*********

The Trigon club was actually two separate clubs; the one in the front, a café open to non-members while members had access to the real club through a discreetly placed, semi concealed door. There was also an area, called the viewing rooms, where the members could meet and interview the young employees whose contracts they may wish to purchase. While part of the remainder was taken up by the kitchen and service area, the changing room for the young women, offices and staff room, about half of the entire club was devoted to semi private alcoves where the club members could meet. These ranged from alcoves for large groups for twenty or more as well as smaller groups down to small tables for just one or two patrons. It was to these last that Cami was assigned and there she received her first call to take an order.

“Stay calm and good contract,” from Lin sent her on her way to the booth that she had been called to. Unconsciously squaring her shoulders, Cami gathered herself and went to her first client.

*********

Approaching the booth which was occupied by two well dressed women, Cami concentrated on breathing and retaining her composure. “Yes madam?” she said as instructed, taking the table comm from its holder.

The lady to her right, elegantly costumed in a green one piece dress, spoke first.

“I will have a glass of Findus sparkling water, thank you,” she replied, her eyes appraising Cami with undisguised interest. Cami entered the order and turned to the second woman.

“And you madam?”

This woman covered in a light grey dress and jacket, did not raise her eyes from the comm she was holding.

“A pot of tea, thank you,” she ordered, “and make certain it is hot. The last time I had one it was quite tepid when it was served.” She put her comm down and ran her eyes over Cami. “New are you?” was delivered in a slightly interested voice.

“Yes Madam.” Cami replied. “Do you have your own blend of tea or would you like the house blend?”

The second woman raised an eyebrow and looked Cami over with fresh interest. “Hmm, intelligent, good.” She murmured, “The house blend will be in order, thank you.” The first woman still regarded Cami with interest but stayed silent.

Cami felt a slight pounding in her veins from the tension she felt, but managed to keep her voice calm. “Certainly madam, will there be anything else?”

“Not right now, thank you.”

Punching the order into the table comm, it was only configured for placing orders, Cami walked on trembling legs to her serving station. There she retrieved the order and sent it onto the kitchen were the tea was prepared. Next she drew the glass of Findus sparkling water, placing it onto a tray with a cup and saucer for the tea. Arriving at the kitchen serving bar, she recovered the steaming teapot and returned with everything to the booth. The drinks were served with as much elegance as Cami could manage but it appeared sufficient.

“Ready to order madam?” With the replies entered into the tables’ comm unit, Cami returned to the serving station where she confirmed the orders, and let out a soft exclamation in release of tension.

“Good work, the first is always the hardest.” Her mentor said encouragingly as she moved to stand beside Cami. “But no time to relax, you have another table waiting.”

*********

Her first day over, Cami sat slumped on her seat in the private changing room used by the young contract women. Looking around at the other girls Cami saw that they were all nude, semi-nude, changed or changing and she didn’t really care. She wondered to herself if Leda had felt the same on her first day.

“So, how was your first day?” Still dressed in her costume, Lin ion Jun came and sat beside Cami.

Taking a deep breath, Cami sat up and looked at the slightly older girl. “I’m not sure how you can do this.” She replied. “It’s just six periods and I am both hungry and exhausted. You, well you look just as fresh as you did earlier!”

“I have a bit more experience than you. You’ll get used to it.” Lin replied. A sudden silence caught their attention. Even dressed in the usual concealing style for Ti Lepus the manager of the Trigon Club was a figure of imposing authority. All those present watched without seeming to as she walked up to her newest girl.

“Cami, I see that you did well today.” The manager sat down in a vacant seat.

“Thank you, Madam Manager.” Cami stood as she replied, eyes cast downward in proper fashion the manager noted in silent approval.

“Yes Cami, you did well. All food and drink delivered safely and nothing spilt.” A rare smiled appeared then disappeared. “Especially on the club members or their guests!” She turned to Lin. “You are the mentor for Cami?”

“I am, Madam Manager.”

“Good, get Cami changed and back to the virgin fortress.” She left, leaving behind a surprised huddle of girls who never suspected that she knew the nickname for the boarding house in which they all lived.

Lin further surprised Cami by letting out a small chuckle. “Let’s get cleaned up, dressed and leave.” She said. Half a period later, they were on their way back to the boarding house.

“You were a little clumsy but that will improve with experience. The drinks were fine, never skimp on the drinks that will get you more complaints than anything else. Work on improving your speed in delivery of orders.” More advice was proffered and Cami listened carefully to her mentor.

“One thing I was wondering about.” Cami said. “I am supposed to be too young to be handling drinks with alcohol in them, won’t we all get into trouble?”

  “Don’t worry about that.” Lin relied confidently. “All these clubs have an exemption on their licence. Just don’t sip any of the drinks!”

“Oh no, I won’t do that.” Cami replied, aghast at the idea. They continued to talk as they walked back to their rooms to eat.

*********

A couple looking like any other sat in a café on the other side of the street. The man who seemed to be in his thirties was dressed in dark, somber clothes, while the seemingly younger and petite woman was wearing somewhat lighter clothing. Neither looked anyway out of the ordinary compared to any other citizen. The man’s eyes followed the pair as they walked down the street.

“That young woman, the new one, she could be the catalyst bringing death and destruction to this planet.” He said to His companion.

“That little thing, are you sure? The same one from the bus?” The woman asked incredulously.

“Very sure.” The Dark Lord replied softly, His eyes still following the pair. “Just like us all those many centuries ago.”

 

 

0