Chapter Thirteen. The Jump and a Fight.
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Running hard down the back straight, Cami concentrated on her rhythm as she approached her next jump, this a water one. After this was a wall jump followed by the fence, the worst one with the whippy branches of a bush standing straight up to catch the legs of those who don’t clear it. More than one race had been won or lost at the fence. From the start line there was a dash with each competitor keeping in their own lane down the front straight to the first set of four hurdles, followed by a second set of four less than a dozen steps later. After both of these had been cleared, they were removed to allow the sprint to the finish. The hurdles were followed by a wooden beam, the water jump, then the wall. The last obstacle set up in the center of the final turn as always, the hated fence. After the second set of hurdles, each competitor could leave their lane to follow whatever path was best for them, they just had to clear each hazard!

Clearing the fence easily, keeping as close as possible to the inside of the track, Cami drew another breath and stretched her legs as she settled into her sprint out of the curve into the straight. Hard on her heels was her main competition, a student from another school. While this was not a fully sanctioned event, Cami had lost to this girl each time they had met earlier and was determined to beat her this time!

Coming into the home straight, Cami willed the last bit of speed out of her legs, the reserve she had saved till this moment. Sprinting as fast as she could, Cami raced for the finish, spurred on by the approval of the spectators roaring their delight, something only allowed in public at times such as this.

Breathe, she urged herself. As the finish line grew closer, she felt that she could hear the pounding footsteps of her competition gaining on her, but the cries of the spectators encouraged her to greater efforts.

Breathe faster, move faster, hold on, the thoughts pounded through her as the finish line seemed to grow closer but oh so slowly!

With a final surge she crossed the finish line, barely managing to retain her feet, oblivious to cheers from those watching. Then her coach was there, a bottle of concentrate in her hand, moving her off the track.

“How did I do?” Cami gasped, gulping down a mouthful of the drink.

“You did well, Cami,” her coach Nessi ot Rimma was a member of the service class, reassured her, “you won!”

“I did?” Cami took another swallow of concentrated vitamins, electrolytes and sugars along with other essential minerals. “Who came second? Third?”

“Don’t worry about that.” Nessi counselled the girl she was beginning to view as her best chance to advance in status. “I want you to go to the training room and do your recovery exercises. A quarter of a period now!”

“Yes Coach Rimma.” Cami took the proffered towel to wipe her sweat covered face and keeping the drink, headed to the schools exercise room where she would carry out the set of cooling down routines that had been designed for her.

*********

As Rimma watched Cami leave, another coach joined her. “New is she?”

“Who?” Nessi replied innocently.

“The girl who just set a new record in the jump for her age group, that’s who?”

“Yes, she did, didn’t she!” Nessi didn’t smile, not openly. “She has been with me since the beginning of spring, not long after the Green Leaf Festival.”

“A contract girl then.” The coach from a different school murmured. “Going to be interesting. Better keep an eye on the one she just whipped,” Came the unnecessary advice, “that one doesn’t like to lose, especially to contract girls.”

“Thanks, I will.” Nessi nodded. She knew all about the second place finisher, a girl whose family was high in the service class with a status inset of ra. Almost fifteen, this was the last set of races that she would be running, and she had really wanted to win as her status would improve. She was also known to have a nasty temper, and there had been talk of harassment of contract girls by her.

*********

Oblivious to this background, Cami had settled on a stationary bicycle after she had spent some time on a treadmill. A considerable number of girls were in the room, some warming up, others cooling down from the same race or other competitions, there had been field events taking place at the same time as The Jump. Some had even congratulated Cami on her success.

“Nice run.” A girl who had been in the same race complemented Cami.

“You have really come along,” said another, a girl Cami recognised from her new school.

“Thank you, I have a good coach,” Cami replied.

“You have Coach Rimma don’t you?” The girl, Cami didn’t know her name, continued.

“Yes,” Cami nodded.

“You’re lucky, she’s really good.” The girl said as she walked away.

One of those cooling down on a treadmill was glaring at Cami. Ninna ra Conga was upset that she had lost to a new girl, one who had been recently been contracted and was from the far side of Ti Lepus to boot. She had beaten Cami easily the first time that they had met, while in the meeting, Cami had been on her heels but had faded to third. But this time, Cami had taken the early lead and held it to the end. Ninna ra Conga was not happy.

Stepping of her machine, she started to walk towards the standing bike that Cami occupied. One of the other girl athletes, a senior girl, one of high status Cami guessed from the respect that had been shown to her, put out an arm to stop Ninna. The two girls exchanged some words then the senior girl nodded, spoke some more and moved her arm. Ninna held her face blank as she moved towards her prey.

Cami, meanwhile had not been totally unaware of the subtle nuances in the room. A newcomer, she kept herself aware of her surroundings which were so different from what she was used to. She also watched the girls of different ages so that she could learn from them. Contract girls like herself clearly behaved differently from the girls who seemed to be of high status. These last seemed to know each other quite well and chatted freely whereas, the contract girls tended to keep to themselves. Just like me, Cami thought as she wondered about the differences.

As soon as had Ninna entered the room, her eyes had sought out Cami and she continued to stare at her as she used the treadmill. Now, as she walked across the room, Cami instincts went on alert. Since the incident when she was traveling home on the public conveyance, she had spoked to the self-protection trainer who had quietly given her considerable additional training. Not much, just some instruction and practise on where and how to hit using both hands and feet. She had never told her parents or family, or the Dressilers.

As Ninna came close to the bike she stopped on Camis right with her hands on her hips. “Well, what do we have here?” She sneered. Almost two full years older than Cami, she was also taller and heavier.

Staring back, Cami continued to slowly cycle. “I would say that it is obvious.”

“What?” Snapped Ninna, taken aback, usually her victims just remained silent. The logical and honest response caught her off balance.

“Well,” Cami replied, “It’s obvious what I am, a girl on a stationary bike.” Ninna just stared, open surprise on her face. One of the contract girls giggled while the senior girl, one of high status, who had spoken to Ninna frowned and started to walk towards them, she was too late.

Forgetting whatever warning she had received, Ninna snapped. “You little basticka, you!” she snarled as she reached out and grabbed Cami by the hair, intending to drag her of the bike. Instinctively, Cami reacted, with her right hand she grabbed one of Ninnas arms while striking out with the heel of her left palm. More by luck then aim, she caught Ninna right on the nose, hard.

 The unexpected pain, something she had never felt before, caused Ninna to let go, cover her nose with her hands and stagger back into the arms of the senior girl. Seeing the bloody result, this girl reacted fast. Pointing to one of the junior girls, she yelled, “Get me a towel” Ninna was attended to and taken away by another senior girl. Turning to Cami the first girl spoke swiftly.

“I saw what happened Cami! Ninna struck first! Hit the shower, then find your coach! Tell her what happened and give her my name.”

“What is your name?” Cami asked even as she wondered how the girl knew who she was.

“Premma de Markus.” At Camis wide eyes, Premma saw that she recognised the name. “Go,” had Cami moving swiftly but with deliberation out of the training room, she never looked back.

*********

Showered and changed, she found Nessi ot Rimma standing at the coach’s space for her school, making entries into her log. Causally glancing at her prospect, she gave a second and longer look. Seeing not very well-hidden distress, she waved the young woman over.

“Ok, what happened?” Nessi listened without comment until the end. “Who was this senior girl?” Camis answer brought a whistle, “de Markus, hmm interesting, you have some firepower in your corner if they want to make trouble.”

“Why should they make trouble, I just defended myself?” Cami wondered.

“I know the family; they are desperate to gain high status designation and will do just about anything to achieve that.”

“Oh.” Cami still looked distressed. “And I guess that I may have done something to affect that.”  She stopped then started again, looking up at her coach. “What should I do?”

“Talk to your contract family right now, tell them everything. I will see to things here at the meet. Don’t worry about that, I know what to do.” Nessi gave a nod to Cami, and with a ‘see you tomorrow’ ringing in her ears, Cami left.

Nessi ot Rimma did know what to do. Aware of the politics involved, she immediately found Premma de Markus, and asked her about the incident. After Premma confirmed Camis story, Nessi went to the central security station, reviewed the security record, asked for and obtained a certified copy of the automatic recording. By now the official organisers had become aware of the incident and Nessi was ready for them.

*********

Cami wasn’t ready also she wasn’t looking forward to telling the Dressler’s, no, not at all. But she knew that she had to, and her coach had spoken with urgency. Leaving the athletes area, she found the Dressilers were where they said they would be waiting. One look had Rentap on alert.

“What happened?” The rest of the family started at the sharp question. They gasped at Camis forthright but distressed response, “I hit a girl who was attacking me.”

“Tell me everything,” Rentap said quietly.

*********

Back at the Dressilers apartment, the family at in silence, subdued by the events of the day. While Cami winning was a deserved high, the aftermath had cast a cloud over the event even though at the inquiry Cami had been vindicated. Looking around, Kapat glanced at the young girl sitting beside her.

“Where did you learn to do that?”

Along with the rest of the family, Cami started at the abrupt question, but she knew what Kaput was talking about.

“I had been having lessons in self-defence for several months before coming to Lepus Mal.” Cami replied. “They were part of my athletic training at the Middle Club at the Girls Room in the Collective Hall. They were increased after I was attacked by a drunk on the transport taking me home one day.”

After a fractions silence and stares at this unexpected revelation, Rentap asked the obvious question.” Why didn’t you tell us?”

“I wasn’t asked,” Cami huddled down in her seat, arms across her body, “anyway, it wasn’t something I wanted to talk about. Actually I wanted to forget it.” The others nodded, that was reasonable. For a fraction, there was silence then Cami finished. “I had seen drunks on the transport on other days, but they had never bothered me before.” There was silence while the others waited for Cami to continue. “If the policeman hadn’t been there that day, I don’t know what would have happened. It was scary.”

“Yes, that was good for you.” Rentap agreed while the others looked on. Dinis and Kapat with interest, Cheaine with a slight frown. “Do you know who the policeman was?” Rentap asked.

“He said his name, I think that it was Dark something, Water or something like that.” With an effort Rentap kept his face blank. Dark gen Wattar? How big a coincidence was that! While the children didn’t notice, they were concentrating on Cami, he saw the look that Cheaine threw him. With an inner sigh, he knew that he would have to explain, so he turned back to the day’s events.

“Well the standing committee held the other girl at fault, not you Cami. She was also put on probation for the remainder of this year and all the next. It was obvious that you had no choice but to defend yourself. While I disapprove of violence, it’s clear that your actions were in self-defence.”

Cami thought that Rentap was acting rather pompous and from the expression on his face when he saw the looks that the rest of the family was giving him, he agreed. He coughed, “Well it’s been a long day, let’s all say our good nights and get to bed.”

*********

Subdued, the three children said their goodnights and left. Rentap also left while Cheaine went to the kitchen to set the menu for the next day and authorise any necessary purchases. Going over the list of items she discussed them with Jean ne Pator, their housekeeper. With a brisk nod she approver the menu and purchase’s Jean suggested.

Studying her mistress, Jean decided to speak up. “Madam, if I may.” She began.

“Of course.” Cheaine spoke in surprise.

“Do not be too hard on Cami.” Jean said. “She did what was necessary to stop someone from hurting her.” Jean looked directly at her mistress and emphasised what she said next. “And No More!”

With a feeling of unreality, Cheaine stared at her housekeeper. “I am not sure I understand.” She said.

“Cami defended herself and stopped. That is a hard thing to do. It shows that she hadn’t lost control. That is good.” Jean looked directly at Cheaine. “I don’t think you understand how hard it is to do that, to stop hitting someone who is hurting you. We of the underclass know what it is like to be abused by others and defend ourselves. Consider, if someone was hurting Kapat, what would you do to stop them?”

“I think that I would do what is necessary.” Cheaine answered slowly.

“That is what Cami did.” Jean replied.

*********

Laying on her bed still dressed and staring at the ceiling, Cami wondered if she had ruined everything with her hitting that girl! Would she be sent back to her family, with the ominous words ‘unsatisfactory completion’ stamped across the contract? With her mind focused on these unpleasant thoughts she jumped to her feet at the soft chime of someone announcing themselves at her door. Opening it, she was startled to see Kapat standing there.

“What do you want?” Cami asked in surprise.

“May I come in?” The slightly older girl asked. Even more nonplused, neither had been in the others bedroom before, Cami stood back to let Kapat in.

 “You had two sisters to share your old bedroom with, didn’t you?” Kapat asked looking around. “And your old room was smaller than this?”

“Yes,” Cami watched Kapat, puzzled.

“Really, however did you cope?”

Taken aback, “We just did.” Cami replied, “My sisters had bunk beds.”

“And you didn’t have a window?”

Cami shook her head, still puzzled.

“Oh, that must have been a big change for you.” Kapat seemed to be at a loss to say more. Cami wondered what had brought her to her room and decided to ask.

“Kapat, what do you want?”

“I was wondering,” Kapat wandered around the bedroom. “Have you ever hit someone before?”

Defensive, Cami replied with a brittle “No!”

“Neither have I. I don’t know what I would do if someone attacked me.” Unconsciously, Kapat sat on the bed. Slowly, Cami Joined her

“Did you know the girl you hit?” Kapat asked.

“I only remember her first name, Ninna, but we had raced before, although she had always won.” Cami shrugged, it was becoming a habit of hers. “She was older, faster and better trained.” Then Cami grinned and gave a rare giggle, “At least until Coach Rimma had worked with me for a while! I have really learnt a lot from her, like how to run a race, manage my breathing, when to put on a sprint, things like that.”

“You ran that last race really well” Kapat also smiled. “We were really proud of you.” With her head to the side Kapat looked at the strange girl who had come into her life. “Will you have to race her again?”

“No, she will go onto seniors now.” A resolute look appeared along with a frown. “But I bet that she will try to make trouble for me, maybe Premma de Markus too.”

“If she does, she will have more trouble than she can imagine. No one will want to upset the de Markus clan on purpose and father is friends with her uncle who is a minister. I bet that her family is pretty upset with her right now. That was a severe punishment that she got and it’s going to cost her a lot of friends and some status as well!” A pensive look appeared on Kapats face. “I heard about her from some other girls who have transferred over from her school.” What was said next, really surprised Cami. “You may have made some new friends!”

“Well I wouldn’t have wanted to do it that way!” Cami sat up in surprise. “Was Ninna that disliked?” Kapat nodded. “Oh, well, sometimes you get what you deserve.” Cami stopped than spoke again. “I just hope that she stays away from me.”

“You would hit her again?”

“Only if I had to. I don’t want to, but sometimes you have to defend yourself.” Camis chin came up in her characteristic way as she continued, “I am also going to take some more self defense classes, Coach Rimma said that she would help me with them.” A mischievous look appeared as Cami continued, “Want to join me?”

“What, join you?” Kapat gasped, “In defence classes?” Cami laughed at the horrified look Kapat displayed at the thought. “Cami, how could you!” Kapat scolded Cami then laughed herself.

It was the first time the two girls had ever talked to each other alone and they continued for a while longer. Finally they hugged said good night and Kapat returned to her bedroom.

It had been a traumatic day for the family and Rentap missed the news so he did not hear about the execution of a writer for treason in a minor southern town. Not that he would have considered it a matter of significant importance.

*********

Nikie di Frim didn’t miss it. When she heard of the execution of their journalist patsy she just smiled. She hadn’t bothered to follow the trial, the subsequent appeals or the live broadcast of the gruesome execution of their unknowing patsy.

Kirkrup her husband, sat back and laughed.

“A drink to celebrate.” He said, passing to her; her favorite beverage, a foaming mug of local ale.

“So, what is next?” She asked.

“We increase the pressure on the assembly with more demonstrations and acts of violence. Not us of course, but those of the underclass and service classes who are up for this. They make useful fuel.” Contempt dripped from his answer.

“We need to start training small groups of really reliable members of our group.” Nikie mused.

“Train them with what? And how many?”

“Weapons, whatever we can get. And just a few, for a special project.”

“For what purpose.” Smiled Kirkrup, thinking that he knew what his wife had in mind and liking the thought.

“For an act of violence that will set this planet on fire!” She hissed, her face ugly in its hatred. “She has probably forgotten all about me, but I will never forget or forgive her for her insults, nor for her act of betrayal when we were young. And her husband is associated with the empire too.”

Nikie smiled, a predator’s smile. Her husband laughed again.

*********

The Dark Lord was also aware and considered carefully what he was going to have to do. Summoning the Council of Tantalus, he announced his decision. He would return to Tihab along with members of the Circle. He did not tell them that he would also go to Ti Lepus and continue work that he had started there.

“Their soft touch,” He said referring to the Ladies, “may be needed to avert the disaster that looms, but there are other factors at work including one that no one else sees.”

0