Chapter Seventeen. Cami meets the Underclass.
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tired and confused, Cami stared around as she emerged from the service tunnels into an untidily packed basement. “Should I go outside?” she asked out loud. The sound of her voice echoed in the room and startled her, the fright almost convinced her to turn to go back into the tunnels but an emerging problem changed her mind, she needed a washroom.

Carefully opening the only other door and hoping that it lead out of the basement, she found some stairs leading up several flights to a second door. Carefully opening this door Cami saw that it opened onto a corridor with numerous doors on each side. Having no idea of what type of building she was in, Cami cautiously crept down the worn wooden floor of the hallway. Reaching a corner she peeked around finding yet another corridor which had still more doors.

The floor here is just as bad as the other corridors, a lot worse than at ma and pas, she thought. The rooms must be small too. No bathrooms inside, the doors are so close together.

Finally she found a door marked with the correct sign, women’s washroom.

*********

Stepping into the bathroom, Cami came to a complete stop. What she found shocked her! Instead of the private stalls and wash stations she was familiar with, the toilets were partitioned off with gaps under all the doors and partitions exposing the floor. Large gaps existed between the top of the partitions and the ceiling, although this did not worry her quite so much. Equally surprising, the handwashing basins were set in one long counter top with no partitions what-so-ever!

For a fraction she stood there, unable to decide what to do until need forced her into action. Quickly checking the stalls, she picked out the cleanest one, then, first making sure that it had all she needed, relieved herself. Done she tided her clothes washed her hands and checked her face in the sole mirror provided. Seeing evidence remaining of the meal she had eaten earlier, she washed her face as best she could. Wrinkling her nose at the used towel hanging on a roller, Cami dried her hands and face, all the while wondering, what part of the city is this?

Leaving the noisome room behind her she put her thoughts into words, “Where am I?” The sound of her voice echoing down the empty hall startled her and she glanced around, uncertain about which way to go. Deciding to continue in the same direction that she had been heading when she had come up from the tunnels she kept moving, finally arriving at another set of stairs, some going up and others going down to a hall of some kind.

Hesitating for a fraction at the muted rumble of many voices that she could hear, Cami caught the enticing scent of a well cooked meal. The bit of bread and jam she had eaten earlier barely took the edge off her hunger and a random whiff of cooked food decided her. Cautiously she started down the stairs, following her nose. A sound at the entrance to what apparently was the room which the smell of cooking was coming from, had Cami freezing at a bend in the stars.

Crouching down, Cami watched as two men, both wearing the black beret and black jacket common to the underclass came out of the double doors, talking at the same time. She stifled a gasp and listened as they scuffled to the doors a few dozen centis from the foot of the stairs. The underclass! This is Nether West, but I was told never to go there! The unexpected memory froze Cami in place on the stairs.

“That was some crazy thing, arr, eh?” One said to his companion.

“Aye, I hopes that girl don’t get hers, that would be rum!” the second man replied.

“Eh, right. She got away clean! The black one musta….”

The pair had gone through the door and what else they might have said vanished in the throb and bustle of the street that came and went as the door opened and closed.

Cami sat back, what girl were they talking about, was it me? She wondered. And who where they meaning when they said the Black One? The snatch of conversation that Cami had overheard puzzled her and she sat still for a fraction. Another couple came out of but they talked so low that Cami could not make out what they were saying. These were followed three people, a man and two women all dressed in the garb of the underclass. To Camis eyes, none looked friendly as she remembered what she had been told about the part of the city where the underclass lived. Don’t ever go there, Jan ot Weir had warned her when they had arrived all those months ago.

About to move down the stairs, Cami froze as the doors to the kitchen opened again. A man and two women came out.

“… and I don’t know why all the fuss,” a rather thin woman spoke whined.

“Look, I have to go,” the man growled, “I have to get up with my brother, Ilari.”

How strange, Cami thought, the underclass talk so differently and are so emotional. Not at all like Jean. She strained to hear more.

“Your brother, is he such a big hat eh? You run to him when he calls, quick, quick!” The thin woman either was angry or was making fun of the man, Cami couldn’t decide.

“Ina, don’t be squzzy, Edek has to go, and you know that’s natch.” The other woman’s voice sounded soothing to Cami.

“Well I have to go first,” Edek laughed and before Cami realised what was happening, Edek was stomping up the stairs.

“And when you’ve gotta go, you gotta go.” The second woman also laughed even as she called out to him.

*********

At the sound of boots on the stair, Cami gasped, the man was coming up the stairs! For a tiny fraction she froze, then goaded by sudden fear she stood and trotted as quietly as possible back up the hall until she came to the ladies bathroom. Hesitating at the door, she turned automatically at a shout, right hand sliding to her knife.

*********

            Just one thing was on Edeks mind as he climbed up to the second floor until he caught the sound of soft footsteps. A frown lined his saturnine forehead as he began taking the stairs two at a time. He knew that there should not be anyone upstairs as this was a private residence, each room being owned and occupied or rented and everyone from this floor would be at work now or eating in the dining room. That meant that there was a stranger, possibly a thief present. The thought of calling the patrol never crossed his mind, those guardians of the law were not welcome in Nether West at the best of times, besides he felt confident in his ability to handle any situation.

Coming to the top of the stairs Edek quickly checked the corridor to his left and then the right where he saw a young looking girl, about to enter into the women’s washroom, surprised he called, “Hold’en there.” A frightened face turned towards him.

“No closer,” she said holding her left hand up to stop him while her right slid behind her back.

Eyes narrowed, Edek coolly appraised the young woman. Clearly young, well dressed, she obviously did not belong in Nether West. Indeed, a second look at her clothing had alarm bells going off in his mind, this girl is high class, what is she doing here and what is she holding behind her back? He wondered. At a sound behind him he quickly glanced to where the two ladies he had been talking to were now standing at the top of the stares. They stared at the unexpected visitor clinging to the common bathroom door.

*********

Too scared to move, Cami stood frozen, her eyes flicking between the three adults studying her. Out of ideas and at a loss to say anything, she waited to see what the three people from the underclass would do. At the back for her mind was the door leading to the basement and the tunnels, just a few dozen paces away.

I could make it if I try, she thought.

*********

“OK girl,” Edek, a lean young man wearing hard worked clothes spoke as soothingly as he could to Cami, “don’t go freaky, I won’t hurt you, not unless you get gnarly and I have to.”

“Don’t get closer.” Cami repeated.

“Yours’re not around here.” It was a statement.

Cami shook her head.

“Watcha called.”

“Cami.”

*********

“You be Cami?” The older woman stepped up beside Edek as she spoke, causing Cami to slide several steps down the corridor.

“Keep back Flo!” Edek growled at Flo, a well-built, comfortable looking woman.

“Cami sis Nep?” Flo ignored the younger man and took a step closer, “You be the girl who lives with the Dressler’s?” At Camis nod, Flo continued, puzzled. “Why you be running away?”

“Don’t get natch with the girl Flo, she be trouble. Just let her go, willy-nilly.” Ina, the third adult put in, she was a thin woman with a sour, suspicious face.

*********

Taking in the thirds woman’s sour look and grating tone, Cami decided that she wasn’t very nice. She took another step backwards, a glance showing her that she was almost at the corner.

*********

“Stop Cami, we won’t crack you.” Flo studied Cami, took in the exhausted look and haunted gaze. “What you be doing in Nether West?”

The thin woman grunted and appeared to be about to speak but closed her mouth at a look from Flo. Edek frowned as he looked Cami over. His eyes narrowed and he suddenly spoke again. “What you be running from?” He asked.

*********

Cami glanced over her shoulder at a sound from behind her. “I have to go,” she pleaded. “They might be following.” She brought her hand from behind her, crouching and holding the knife she had found in the tunnels in front of her. The three watching gave out a hiss of in taken breath.

*********

“Now that’s a bigge knife,” Edek smiled hands on his hips, “what gotcha in mind to do with it?”

“Quiet,” Flo commanded the young man. “Cami, you didn’t answer me, why you skooting.” She frowned as a thought came to her, “Where be your contract family?” Flo slowly moved forward.

“Don’t get closie close, Flora, she’ll be into cutting you.” Ina cautioned the older woman. At Camis sudden step forward, Edek stepped in front of Flo.

*********

Hearing Flo’s full name, Cami remembered with a start what the man who had helped her escape had said, Listen for Flora.

“Your name is Flora!” That brought nothing but a stare and a startled exchange of looks. “Flora, your name is Flora?” Cami repeated, taking a step forward. “Please tell me it is.”

“Yea.” the matronly woman replied, frowning as she moved out from behind the young man.

With a wail, Cami ran forward giving Flo, Ina and Edek such a surprise that they all took several steps backwards.

“Knife, knife!” from the group brought Cami to a stop. Oh yes, better get rid of that, she thought. “Here, take it,” she held the knife out. “He said to watch for Flora.”

*********

Slowly Edek stepped closer to Cami and with care accepted the knife. Cami never looked at him, still staring at Flo as he took it. Another frown creased his forehead and balancing the knife in his right hand, he turned and spoke to the women.

“This is edgy, let’s get outa this place.”

Flo and Ina nodded and Flo held out her hand to Cami. “Come along little one,” came with a reassuring smile. “My bedy place is nearby and we’ll chit chat there.”

Following, Cami began to speak but was immediately shushed by Ina. “Speak not here, no good if others hear.” Covering her mouth with her hand, Cami went with the two women. Edek following, watching carefully all around.

About thirty paces past the stairs leading down, there were more stairs going up to the next floor. Flo lead the group to these and started up.

*********

At the top, Cami stopped for a fraction, looking around. She could see that this part of the building was different from the one below. The doors were further apart by several paces and the floor was polished with a durable clear finish that brought out the grain of the wood.

“Your walls are nicer here then below.” Cami spoke more calmly than she felt. “Painted with pictures.” She moved to look at some of the murals but Edek took her arm and lead her to where Flora was waiting at her door. “Hey what are you doing?” Cami protested.

“We have to get out of eyes seeing.” Edek replied.

“Come in Cami, we’ll talk in here.” Floras voice stifled any more protests from Cami.

*********

A period later Cami sat curled on a couch watching the two women as they talked together. Edek had been sent on an errand to fetch someone called Ilari after Cami had described how she had gotten into the tunnels under the city.

“All dead, killed.” Ina whispered, running her gaze over the tearstained face of the young woman. “You be the only one who scampered alive.”

Cami sat silent, she had finally given into her pain and terror as she had described the attack and was now exhausted. “I’m thirsty,” she said suddenly sitting up and looking around. “Is there anything to drink here?” Straight away she felt embarrassed at speaking in such a manner.

“Would you like tea?” Flo asked quietly. “You can also eat if you like,” she added.

“Thank you Madam Flora.” Cami stood and lowered her eyes, holding her hands behind her back as she did.

“Sit down Cami.” Flo said, exchanging a glance and a nod with Ina as she spoke. Ina left, heading to the small kitchen. “And call me Flo, all here do.” A slight smile creased her lips as “Call me Ina,” came from the kitchen.

Looking around as she sat, Cami belatedly realised that only the three of them were in the room. “Where’s the young master?” she asked.

“His name is Edek ne Fosker and he is my son.” Flo spoke softly, “After you told us your story, I sent him to get his older brother, Ilari ne Pator.”

“Oh. He is?” Cami looked around rather distracted. This room was about the same size as her parents’ old living space but the kitchen was separated by a low counter and she could see Ina doing something there. A bedroom was visible through a door. Is there just the one? She thought, and is there a bathroom behind that closed door? The import of Flo’s words slowly percolated through Camis mind.

“Ilari ne Pator? The housekeeper where I lived was Jean ne Pator! Is he related to her?”

“He is her brother, I was his father’s second wife.”

“Oh.” Cami wondered what that meant. I’ll just have to wait and see, ran through her mind. “She must be really upset.” Cami looked away then turned back, “I left my comm back … there, can I speak to her on yours, my parents also?”

“Of course you did, left it behind.” Flo turned towards the dining room table, then stopped and slowly turned back. “No, that be a bad thought.”

“Why?” Cami was confused by both the refusal and the change in the way Flo had spoken. “And your speech, it’s changed back?”

“If someone is looking for you, they may be watching both your parents and Jean.” Flo replied soberly. “Until we know more, let’s not be hasty.” She paused, “As to my speech, I too was once a housekeeper for a family. Not high class but pretenders, as we called them behind their backs. They dismissed me for a younger, more attractive house keeper when they moved up.”

Cami did not know what to say to that but luckily she was saved by a call from the kitchen.

“I have tea.” Ina came in with a loaded tray and began setting places at the eating table. “Come, let’s all sit properly for tea.” Cami rose slowly and took what she considered to be her proper place, the daughters’ seat on Floras right.

“Your cousin, what will he do? What will he want?” Cami asked after a taking a sip of tea. She felt that the delicate business of Flora being dismissed was best avoided. She knew that she, herself would be sensitive about that, having had nightmares dreaming that she had been dismissed from her contract after she hit that girl at the meet. “Why do I have to talk to him?” A frown creased her forehead.

“We have been waiting for a long time for something like this to happen.” Ina, interjected.

Camis frown deepened, “I’m puzzled, what do you mean, waiting for what to happen?”

“Ilari, he be a leader, got a following but not like those who attack you and yours.” Flo watched Cami closely, Ina as well.

“Big man is Ilari,” Ina said, “much respect he has, not only among us in Nether West, others as well. They talk lots to him.”  Ina offered a biscuit to Cami who accepted with polite thanks. Cami studied the thin, sour faced woman and pondered what sort of life she had lead. If the life for her parents had been difficult as part of the lower servant class, how much more difficult both Ina’s and Flo’s must have been she.

“Who talks to Ilari?” Cami wondered aloud.

“You hush about that girl.” Ina relied, “There is no need for you to known.” She shrugged picking up a biscuit herself as she continued, “Anyhow, I don’t know, Ilari no say and I no ask.”

“Oh, I won’t ask then, but he doesn’t tell you anything?” A shake of the head answered her question. There was silence then Cami looked across the table at Ina. “Can I ask you something?” She said.

Raising her head from the biscuit she was contemplating, Ina looked at the young girl, then gave a glance at Flo before turning back to Cami. “You could, doesn’t mean I answers.” The reply came back slowly. “You have lots a questions girl!”

Cami swallowed, she was old enough to realise that she was going to pry a little into what could be a delicate subject. “Do you have any family, Ina?” She braced herself for an explosive response.

*********

Ina sat silent for a fraction, How to answer in a way Cami might understand? She gave a sigh, might as well speak the truth. Without looking at Cami, she replied. “I have no family. They all be dead.”

*********

Aghast, the reply was even worse than Cami had expected, she stammered out an unsteady “Sorry,” all she could come out with, even as she looked to Flo for help. No wonder she looks so unhappy, Cami thought. Before she could say more, a chime from the door, followed by its opening drew everyone’s attention away from the strained atmosphere.

“Who’s there?” Cami jumped up, stepping away from the table as she spoke.

A tall, rather thin man stepped through the door with some authority, taking of his cap as he did so. Watching him carefully, the two traded stares and Cami noted the eyes, wondering why they seemed familiar. Stepping further back as the man approached the table, she was surprised, even shocked when the man stooped and kissed Flo on the cheek. “Hello elder sister, I nanna thought seeing you this day,” cleared the mystery, confirmed by Flo’s, “G,day big bro.” The man straightened up and turned his eyes to Cami.

Looking back at him Cami studied the man who she guessed was soon going to become very important to her. Ilari suddenly spoke, “So you’re her, they said that I would know you.”

*********

The stares his comment drew amused Ilari although he held his laughter inside as he continued his appraisal of Cami sis Nep. Her steady gaze returning his, even though she was clearly fearful and uncertain, brought a nod of approval from him. It was clear that this girl had some depths.

“Where be Edek?” Brought him back.

“Getting some of us together, we needs protection.”

“I don’t want trouble.” Flo insisted.

“Passed that, trouble we had as soon as those fools pulled the trigger on those guns.” The flat reply raised frowns from both Flo and Ina. “The patrol and the secret police will be here soon, me guesses.” Ilari continued. “One at least would have been here sooner if he hadn’t been delayed by locked doors.”

*********

Cami watched Flora exchange a puzzled look with Ina then both looked at Ilari. “What means you?” Flora asked. Cami put in as well. “Delayed, how you know that? I don’t understand how you would know that.” Cami continued to stare at Ilari, “and what do you mean by they said that I would know you?”

When Edek had passed the knife to Ilari, he had recognised it. A strange woman, deeply cowled and cloaked had given its’ sister to him some years before, She had spoken, You will know the bearer of this knifes sister, she will bring relief to your people or disaster for the planet.

When he pressed for more, the lady had silently bowed and left.

*********

“I get lots info from lots of sources,” Ilari replied, “but no talk now, we gotta fast move, or you’ll be in lots a trouble.” He beckoned to Cami. “You gotta come with me, I have some men around who will much help. We gotta get you to safe place.” He turned back to Flo.

 “Have yah gotta cloak that Cami can burrow under? Her clothes, they give her away, dead.”

A fractions digging in a rather full closet and Cami was donning a cloak that to her eyes had seen better days. A cap, similar to the ones that she had seen others wear completed the picture.

Standing impatient at the door, Ilari urged Cami to hurry. “We go fast now, but slow on the street. Blend in and keep eyes open. No talk, your voice dead giveaway. Leave talking to me.” Cami gave a tremulous nod to the rapid fire instructions, then turned to Flo, bowing.

“I thank you Madam Flora and Madam Ina, you both have been much help to me today.”

The motherly woman stood and returned the bow, “It was nothing Cami. Anyone would have done the same.” Seemingly overcome, Ina simply bowed back.

“Let’s go!” Ilari looked out the door, checking the corridor. Two hard looking lean men standing there lost their lounging posture and straightened up, one heading down the stairs while the other looked around for possible dangers.

*********

Walking down the grubby and dismal street which was their apparent destination, lined with shabby buildings Cami was aware of a sense of growing unease, both in herself and her companions. They had been traveling for almost two periods, she was getting tired and hoped that they were close to their destination.

Walking through Nether West had been a revelation for Cami. The part of the sector she arrived at was, she discovered, a combined living and shopping area that made for a lively, noisy and crowded street scene. All the people she could see seemed to be happy at least for the time being. Stores were open and stalls lined the street, most attracting numerous customers. People were exchanging greetings and chatting with each other in manners that she had never before seen. Cami was entranced, the warning she had been given and her recent experience temporarily forgotten.

“Is it always like this?” She asked Ilari who was walking on her left side, closest to the buildings they were passing. “I mean this is so different than what I am used to! Even from my old home.”

“Most days yes, now be quiet.” Glancing up Cami saw Ilari’s eyes flickering from side to side. Glancing around as casually as possible, Cami at first couldn’t identify the men that Ilari had brought with him. As they passed out of the shopping area, Cami began to see some of the same kind of tenements that she had seen from the flyer several months ago. Lounging around these buildings were people that Cami recognised from her earlier train view; sullen, unhappy people, men and women both along with a few children. These moved slowly out of the way of the group as it passed. The eyes that followed them adding to Camis sense of unease and the gathering rain clouds only heightened the sour mood.

All the people Cami saw were dressed in much the same style, a dark shirt, pants and jacket amongst the men while most of the women wore a long skirt and top or a dress combined with a more feminine jacket. A beret usually of a dark blue to black colour topped the men while a small hat seemed standard for most of the women. One thing that Cami saw to her shocked surprise, was that many of the younger women and some older ones as well, were openly wearing pants, something that no women was supposed to do. If ma could see them, she thought, I wonder what she would say let alone Madam Dressiler! That thought brought such pain to Cami that she closed her eyes and come to a brief stop. At Ilari’s concerned glance she just shook her head and started walking again.

As they had left the shopping area, Cami and Ilari were joined by a woman, also wearing pants, and a man. Neither of the two introduced themselves, nor did anyone speak but the woman, she looked to Cami to be in her early twenties, went straight to Camis right side while the man took position a few steps behind her. They continued this way in silence, Cami assuming that Ilari knew who they were, besides she had been told not to speak. As they progressed deeper into Nether West the buildings they passed showed increasing signs of poor maintenance. Having left the shopping and residential area most of the crowd was gone and even fewer people could be seen. The two men from the apartment building were several paces ahead of them, while a glance backwards revealed that there were three men as well as the man who had come with the woman. All this for me? Cami wondered.

The walk continued with changes in direction and Cami grew anxious both with the ominous silence and that all the buildings she could see were rougher and dilapidated, showing clear lack of maintenance. Adding to the grim atmosphere, the rain that had stopped that morning now returned as a soaking drizzle. There were no workers housing or shops that Cami could see, just closed anonymous buildings that gave no clue to their past use or function. “Just about there,” Ilari muttered as he wiped the rain of his face, “now it gets dangerous.” Looking around, Cami saw that there was no one else in sight. This concerned her, she wasn’t sure why but along with what Ilari just said, it did.

“What was that?” Ilari startled Cami with a shrill whistle. The men moved in closer on hearing the whistle.

“If we are going to be attacked, this is the most likely place.” The grim answer caused Cami to look nervously around. “Be ready.”

Be ready to do what? Cami wondered to herself.

Moving with Ilari to the center of the street, Cami watched as he signalled the men to get closer and then turned to the woman still standing with Cami. The rain grew heavier, along with the wind, coming in gusts. Puddles began to form.

“Signy.” He nodded at Cami.

“You’re Signy?” Cami turned to the woman, who was now grimly wrapping a studded leather belt she had pulled from somewhere around her right fist. Cami stared at this and she recalled the fight she had had at the track meet. It was clear that this fight would not be like that one at all.

“Yes.” Signy replied shortly as she scanned the buildings lining the street. “Now listen up, we are heading to that building on the right, the second one on the end.”

“You mean …” Cami stopped as the compact woman grabbed the arm that Cami was about to raise.

“Don’t point,” Signy hissed, “just follow me, if things get rough, run.” The now compact group started to move towards what Cami assumed was their final destination. The same two men were in the lead with Ilari following then Cami and Signy. Last were the four men now close behind. The expected attack came with the group almost three-quarters of the way down the block to their goal.

Leaving a pair of double doors swinging drunkenly open a group of six men burst out of a building to the left, while another gang, of four this time, ran around the corner in front of them. All were carrying a club, knife or similar weapon. From behind, another dozen or so men blocked any retreat in that direction.

“Ok, everyone, we are going through.” Ilari shouted as he charged the four blocking their way in front, splashing his way through the puddles. Cami stared as a knife appeared in his hand.

0