Chapter Twenty. Cami Strikes Back.
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lori was surprised, the last thing she expected was that Cami sis Nep would want to approach the Dark Lord.

“I must speak to him!” Cami pleaded with Nurse Lori Janist. “I must!”

“Why do you want to see him?” Lori asked. “What do you expect Him to do?”

“There is something I have to ask him.” Cami insisted.

“What?” Lori frowned; this was not the Cami she had gotten to know. This Cami was scared but also determined, the planets inherent stubbornness showing.

A sound at the door of Camis room caught their attention. Lady Sydney stepped in from the corridor. Standing behind her was another Lady, Lady Sofia, she remembered. Both had concerned looks on their faces.

“He will see you Cami, but be warned, his mood is … uncertain.” When Lori moved to go with them, she stopped at Lady Sydney’s upheld hand. “I am sorry,” Sydney said, “but we were told to bring Cami only.” The three left.

For a fraction, Lori considered following them, but the warning about the Dark Lords mood held her back. She had only seen Him twice, once just after Camis arrival and next, when He seemed to have run into her by accident in the corridor. That had been quite enough to convince her not to risk his wrath. Even as she wondered, How did he know, the import of her conversation with Usher Heidi was now clear in her mind.

*********

It took less than a fraction for Cami and her escort to descend the two flights of stairs and reach the room where the Dark Lord was waiting for them. At the entrance to the room, Cami glanced at the two Ladies, squared her shoulders, lifted her chin and stalked into the room, stopped with her hands on her hips and opened her mouth to speak. Nothing came out as she was stunned speechless, the Dark Lord was asleep in His chair! Sydney and Sofia had exchanged smiles at first at Camis determination, but these now changed to startled looks.

Giving a soft laugh, the blue-eyed companion that both Cami and Lori had heard mentioned but Cami had seen only the once, was sitting in her own chair just reached out and touched His knee. The Dark Lords eyes flickered open and He turned His head.

“Ah, you are here,” He said, looking the trio over, “step closer Cami, I see that you wish to make a request of me.”

With uncertain steps, the young woman moved closer to the chair. She looked around, seeing that only the five of them were in the room reassured her.

“I was told back home that you can do anything, grant any wish, nothing can be hidden from you, nothing can stop you.” She stopped talking. Silence reigned,

The Dark Lord remained expressionless. After a fraction He replied. “People say lots of things. Most are untrue.”

“What I have said, is that true?” Cami persisted, stepping further into the study.

Again the Dark Lord delayed his reply. “In part.” He stopped and looked away, then looked back. “There are things I cannot do and things that I will not do.”

Cami stepped closer. “I want to ask you to do something. Will you do it for me?”

There was silence again. The Dark Lord seemed to be struggling with his answer. The three Ladies watched, caught by the drama of the moment.

“I will consider what you want, but you must tell me.” He finally replied, arms now folded across his chest. “Choose your words carefully and speak the truth.”

“Will you save my family and my friends?” Cami had reached the Dark Lords chair, and was gripping one chair arm with both hands. The two stared at each other. One in need, the other expressionless, but moving to a decision.

“I will try,” He replied after a fraction. “But if they say no, I will not force them. They must make their own choice.”

“Even the young ones?” Cami spoke with urgency, reaching out as if to take His hand.

“I repeat, I will do what I can.” He suddenly smiled and took Camis hand, holding it for a fraction. Releasing the hand but continuing to smile, He told Cami to go back to her room. Cami gave a tentative smile and left the room.

The three Ladies exchanged glances then stared at the Dark Lord who was now standing.

“Well I have to go there some time anyway.” He said somewhat defensively. “And I may not be able to persuade them. They are a stubborn lot! Also, Cami, though she hasn’t fully realised it yet, has one more task to fulfill before this is over.” The Ladies just looked at him in silence. “Say nothing of this,” He added, then with a sigh, left. At his departing nod, Sydney followed.

*********

The six ambassadors, all Ladies of the Circle, had held their meeting with Chief Councillor Leja Leves and two other councilors. It had taken several days to arrange and only reluctantly had Leves agreed. The meeting had lasted the best part of an afternoon but ended in failure when Chief Councillor Leja Leves refused to compromise. Now the deadline imposed by the Dark Lord and laid down by the ambassadors was at hand and no one knew what was going to happen when time expired. The whole task force was on alert for any contingency.

*********

In his crowded office, Trem de Markus smiled as he waited for the visitor he expected. While he had been one of Leves representatives, it had been an act. The men now with him were all of the high class and leaders in the community looked uncertain but resolved, trusting in Markus judgement. Sitting beside Markus was the previous Chief Councillor who had been working with Markus from the beginning. Without warning the office door slid open and the Dark Lord walked in, His eyes scanning the room. “Gentlemen, welcome.” He said as He stepped aside revealing Cam sis Nep and a Red Haired Lady. The men stared at the Lady, they all recalled the stories they had heard about the Circle of Ladies, one often mentioned was a Lady of uncommon beauty, crowned with a cloud of red hair.

Councillor de Markus however stared at Cam sis Nep. “But she was killed with a knife!” He exclaimed. The silence was profound as the other councilors switched their gaze to the young woman. Stunned, they saw that she was dressed in a brightly patterned dress and sleeveless jacket which, while the dress covered both her arms and her knees, was still short enough to cause comment here. But the intimidating presence of the Dark Lord accompanied by one of his Ladies was enough to keep even these men silent. With her new found confidence, Cami matched Councillor de Markus stare with stare.

“I was healed.” She replied calmly, throwing a glance at the Dark Lord.

After a fractions silence, Markus spoke again. “What do you want?” He asked Cami.

“Freedom.” Was the flat reply.

*********

Before coming to Ti Lepus, The Dark Lord had gone to Camis room and spoken privately to her.

Sitting in a chair while Cami trembled on the edge of a couch, He finished with, “Only you can do this, I cannot help you, anyone watching will see that it is not you, not natural.”

Terrified, Cami just stared back at Him, The Dark Lord, the man who healed me can’t help? The thoughts burned through her mind. How can I do it alone? “What will I say?” She whispered. “I don’t know what to do.”

“What do you most want, what questions have you being asking yourself Cami? Think of them and you will know what to say. Also what happened to you and who ordered it.” The Dark Lord replied. “What is the one thing you really want for your people?” He sat back on the couch.

Surprised, as Cami opened her mouth to reply, the Dark Lord raised His hand. “You don’t need to tell me, I don’t need to know,” He replied, “the ones who do are the people of your planet.” He continued as they both stood, “You need to get dressed now, change into whatever you want to wear. Oh, there is one thing I do suggest from personal experience that you do before we leave.” He pointed and Cami looked, made a face as she looked back at Him then walked into her bathroom and shut the door.

*********

On the legions command battleship Maiden Constance everyone waited. “Point one period to time, sir,” the navigator reported.

“Noted,” Captain Thompson, the ships commander replied. She glanced at Lady Andrea and Lady Dana and the slender Lady with light brown who was only known as the Dark Lords companion, then looked away. The Dark Lord had vanished, to where, no one knew. Also gone were four of the six ambassadors, without explanation.

*********

In his office, Chief Councillor Leves laughed, while secure in his belief that he had won, he could not completely disabuse himself of all tension. He turned to his senior military officer.

“Any reaction from the Empire’s forces?”

“Nothing, sir. No raising of shields, at least not by the closest ones. These are the only ones we can read remotely from the transfer station.”

“Good, they will do nothing!”

His military advisor was unconvinced, but said nothing.

*********

“Time, sir,” the Navigator reported. General Major Dennus, the officer responsible for the ladies protection looked at the only Ladies present, opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by the unexpected appearance of the holograph image of Cami sis Nep. Not even the Ladies were able to react before the image opened its mouth to speak.

“I am Cami sis Nep and I was almost killed in the savage attack on my contract family the Dressilers, this was ordered by Chief Councillor Leja Leves. He is the leader of the agitators and is responsible for the murders and my injury which came later.”

*********

“Midday has passed, Chief Councillor.” The military advisor turned to Leves and continued, “There is still no reaction from the Empire’s forces.”

Leves smiled. Then his smile vanished. “What is this?” He stuttered, “But she’s dead!”

His staff stared at him, some exchanging looks.

*********

Jean ne Pator, the Dressiler’s housekeeper sat at the large picture window. The family member who had inherited the dwelling had assured her that the position she held would be retained and her status improved. Looking out the window and remembering back when the Dressilers had told her about the Dark Lord and described his powers in a casual conversation, she knew that the family would never move in. Picking up the remote controller, she waited. When it started, she intended to open the window and step out. She too thought that Cami had been killed and was stunned by Camis appearance, this apparition changed her mind and she began to listen intently.

*********

Tension was, if possible, even higher on the bridge of the Maiden Constance. Captain Thompson glanced at General Major Dennus as she called for an update and watched the hologram speak. Absently she noticed that the Ladies had vanished.

*********

In his office in the Council’s building at Lepus Mal, Leves was sitting behind his desk also watching Cami speak. He had commed General Dennus and demanded that the transmission be cut and was shocked to learn that the Empire had nothing to do with it and was as surprised as he was.

*********

“I am telling you this because I have wondered about the ways our lives have been ordered for some time as I am sure that many of you listening have also wondered. I never talked to anyone about this out of fear. Fear that mine and my family’s status would be affected, and I am sure that many of you have the same fear.” Cami paused and took a breath.

“Well I am no longer afraid. I have been stabbed and healed. I owe my life to the Dark Lord who healed me and to him I owe a debt of gratitude I will never be able to repay. I also know that because of what I will say now I will never be able to return to Ti Lepus, but I will always hold it in my Heart.

“However I fear for my planet. I have felt the power that the Dark Lord holds within himself and tell you now that the legends are real! But I won’t speak any more about that, what I will speak of is the murdered family that I lived with. The ones that brought my contract with the Trigon Club.

“The mother and father were Cheaine and Rentap Dressiler and the day that they brought my contract was the happiest day of my life and the day that they were murdered was the worst.”

*********

Captain Thompson stepped away from the comm station and stepped over to where Dennus was staring at the holo schematic.  Looking and listening to the ghostly projection, the Captain shook her head. “I don’t know how He did it and I am quite certain I don’t want to know.” Captain Thompson looked at her superior officer, “Everyone seems to be listening and there is a lot of comm traffic.”

Dennus spoke heavily. “I doubt that we will see any shuttle craft with people trying to escape, they just aren’t like that.” He turned away. “Any information as to what is going on down there?” He stabbed a finger at the display.

“Lots of comm activity and people moving around in the streets.” The Captain gave a wave at the display. “Other than that it’s hard to tell.”

“Any signs of unrest?” Dennus asked Major Hunt Van Houser.

“It’s already started, sir. This is totally unreal for the planet, I mean, there are people running in the streets and I mean all the streets!”

“Could this become a general uprising?” Dennus was taken aback by the strange turn of events and wanted to be ready for anything.

“Anything is possible right now sir. The attack on the Dressilers was broadcast live and got a lot of play.” The Major replied. “There was a lot of unrest and sympathy for them when it happened. How He swung this I don’t know.”

“I am certain that our Master has planned well and that he has a backup plan.” Dennus had not forgotten a conversation he had, had with the Dark Lord by the window in the palace. They stood for a fraction in silence.

“Captain.” Dennus turned to face Captain Thompson. “If you need me, I will be in my office. Gentleman.” With a wave to his staff, who quietly followed, subdued and shaken by the unexpected turn of events. Everyone wondered where the Ladies had gone and where the Dark Lord was.

*********

Cami had continued talking to the population.

“The Dressler’s were a wonderful family. I was scared when they first optioned my contract and then accepted it but they accepted me fully and wholeheartedly. Dinis their son and Kapat their daughter accepted me almost as family and their mother Cheaine was wonderful; their father, Rentap kind and understanding. Kapat and Dinis, their children also accepted me openly. They also accepted my family, my da and ma, my brothers and sisters. The day the Dressler’s all died was terrible, I have had help but I know that I will never be totally free of the horror of it.

“None of you can come close to understanding what I have gone through. I don’t expect you to, but I will try to explain it. Think of your happiest day you have ever had. I don’t know, say a walk with friends or family in the sun. Or rain, if you prefer.” Cami paused. “Then imagine that your day is ripped away from you.” Cami spoke in a harsh whisper as she brought her hands to her face.

Dropping her hands and taking a deep breath, Cami continued. “The blood, the sounds of the weapons, the swift horror it all, the shots that barely missed me, it was over so fast and I was running for my life because I knew that I was in bad trouble.”

Cami stood in silence for a fraction. Markus, who had watched in fascination like the others in the room, moved to cut the feed, but stopped when the Dark Lord raised his hand.

Lifting her chin up Cami continued. “Let us not forget to that many others were killed or injured by the killers, completely innocent of anything except that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Killed because they were in the way! My heart goes out to them and their families.”

*********

Osterwald ra Tyrrel and his wife Sirian hugged each other as they listened to Cami. Their four children were sitting on the floor, eyes wide open as they listened. Their oldest a girl a few years younger than Cami turned to her parents. “Does this mean that I can do what I want to do now?”

Her parents looked at each other. “I don’t know Lanni, I don’t.” Osterwald answered his daughter.

“Well, I like her.” Lanni said. “She seems awfully brave!”

Osterwald stared at his daughter. Giving a swift look at his wife, he pulled out his comm unit and sent a message to the security company that had been engaged to protect what was now his company.

*********

Back in Libus Re, Jarmel, Yives and Dar is Nep all watched, surprised beyond measure at what Cami was doing. They stared at her projection and wondered what was going to happen next. Dar nodded with pride as his sister continued her talk.

“At least the others are safe, Cami saw to that.” He murmured to his parents. At the soft note of his comm, Dar nodded and smiled, “I was expecting you to call. “ He smiled at the face of Edek ne Fosker.

*********

Abandoned by most of his staff, Leves had painfully made his way to the Emergency Command Center in Lepus Mal. This was not a well fitted out back up to the government’s main offices. It was just a set of offices with some communication links.

“Get me in touch with the Empire, now!” Leves was gasping. He wondered why he was so short of breath. Not enough exercise. He thought.

“Sir, we will try.” The senior officer, a member of the militia sat at a console and desperately touched icons on the sensitive touch screen. After trying for a fraction, he turned to the Chief Councillor. “Sorry sir, it is hopeless. I can’t get a signal to the next block, it appears that we are being blocked by someone.”

Leves took a closer look at the colonel. He saw that the colonel was quite expressionless, more so than any citizen would normally be. Were things getting that bad?

 “What’s happening, tell me?” Leves demanded. “I am still chief minister.”

“There is growing unrest in the whole country.” Was the reply. “Just a fraction.” The officer listened then turned to Leves. “It appears that the council of ministers is meeting with Councillor Trem de Markus.” The Colonel replied. “At least that is the information I have just received.”

Leves stared at the militia officer, he had never met him before. “Look around,” the officer continued. “You pissed off the most powerful man in the Empire and this is just the start of what he does.”

“What should I do?” Leves felt suddenly helpless.

The officer just stared at him, face blank.

*********

By now Cami was in the finishing stages of what she wanted to say. “I somehow made my way to Nether West where I found some sanctuary. People there tried to help me but the agents of Minister Leves tracked me down. There was a battle and one of Leves men managed to stab me and left me for dead, or at least they thought that they did! They were wrong! The Dark Lord saved me and he healed me, just like he wants to heal everyone listening.

“While I was recovering I thought about the Dressilers, what happened to me, why we were all divided up the way we were. It is just wrong! People should be able to do what they want to do so long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else. Not be put into a certain type of work just because they are born into a particular class someone made up. It should be their choice, not what they have to. Some can be lucky, I was but I am rare and everything I hoped for was snatched away from me and people that I loved, yes loved, were murdered just because someone wanted power.”

Her hand stabbed out, her finger an accusing dagger, her final words were spoken with a cry from the heart. “Chief Minister Leves, I mean you!”

*********

Now alone in the command post that he had retreated to, Leves cringed.

*********

The broadcast ended, the people of the planet began to talk to each other. In as strongly structured society as this one it took a while for the fractures that had appeared to widen, but they did. In this case, it started with Jean ne Pator who called her family.

Jean had kept in touch with them all, especially her older brother, Ilari ne Pator, one of the acknowledged leaders in the underclass community. The discreet messages kept them informed as to what was really happening, things that they weren’t getting from the news media but information that Jean had picked up from listening to what the Dressilers had talked about amongst themselves as well as what they had told her directly. This had been quietly spread amongst several prominent members of the underclass who, on hearing what she said now, called a meeting.

*********

As Cami’s broadcast finished, a sigh seem to pass through the fleet. No one had slept, all had stayed awake, captivated by the unique circumstances of the event.

Onboard his flagship, the armoured planetoid Golden Sun, Admiral De Johnston, overall commander of the task force, slumped back in his chair then turned and eyed his staff. They stared back at him, not one was willing to speak the obvious question on their minds: What do we do next?

Amused the Admiral considered asking them what they felt their next move should be but refrained, after all he was the Admiral. “Communications, get me Captain Thompson on the Maiden Constance.” He ordered.

“Yes, sir, stand by.” A pause. “You are connected, sir.”

“Captain Thompson?”

“Sir, you have orders?” The Captain replied.

“Not yet, please canvas our Master for His intentions, I am standing by to talk to Him if he deems it necessary.” De Johnston responded.

There was silence for a fraction. “I will approach Him if he is here sir, He disappeared before the broadcast began.” Captain Thompson drew a breath. “Please stand by, sir.”

“Will do, Captain. Communications, keep this link open.”

De Johnston turned to his staff. “I see no need to keep the locals here. Order them to get ready to return to their duties in this galaxy, but to wait for my order to depart.”

*********

In the silent office, the Dark Lord quietly regarded Trem de Marcus and the men who had joined him. In approving the attack on the Dressler’s, Leves had made a critical mistake. While appearing to agree and support Leves, almost all the ministers and high officers had actually turned to Trem de Marcus. Always brutally honest with themselves, they knew that having ordered one set of murders, Leves would not be beyond ordering others. They also knew that the only way to stop Leves was to band against him immediately, to wait would be fatal.

“I think that you know what it is that you must do.” He said. “The planet cannot go on like this and you here present must be the authors of change. If you cannot usher in the necessary changes, then I will take action. This I do not want to do. You are warned.”

“What about the girl?” One asked. “She will need protection.” Looking around they realised that Cami had left with the red haired Lady.

“Cami knows that she will not be able to return and why. If she stays she will become the focus of attention and a flash point to be attacked. By leaving she will become an icon to be rallied around.” The Dark Lord replied calmly. “Some family members and certain friends have also been taken under my protection.” The ministers and officers stared at this. Marcus, somewhat used to the Dark Lord by now, held his smile inside. Unknown to the others, the Dark Lord had been working with Trem de Marcus for many years in an attempt to bring peaceful changes to Ti Lepus.

“I will give you time, such changes cannot be performed overnight. The Dark Lord continued. “Let us say a thousand years. Yes, it is now the 20th Augar 414, I shall return then.” He smiled. The smile turned dangerous. “But I will be watching even if you don’t see me.” The soft words sent a chill through all the listeners. “Do not worry about visitors from other planets, I will make certain that people believe that I destroyed you. Do not force me turn that belief into reality.” His gaze swept the room, then with a nod to de Marcus, the Dark Lord turned and walked out the door.

“Let’s get to work gentlemen.” Trem de Marcus sat back behind his desk. The men in the room nodded. The policemen left to arrest Leves, a special committee of the Scrutineers had quietly convened and after reviewing the evidence, issued an order authorising Leves arrest. The militia to assist in restoring order, a task that would keep them busy for a long time and others to start the process of change.

Checking his comm, Marcus saw with no surprise that Jean ne Pator was trying to comm him. “Yes Madam Pator.” He said, taking the call.

*********

 On the Maiden Constance, Captain Thompson rose to her feet. “Present location of our guest Ladies?”

“In the area of the Ambassador’s suites, sir.” The first officer replied.

“Thank you. First Officer, you have the bridge.”

“Yes, sir.”

The suites she needed were reasonably close, so Captain Thompson arrived faster than she really wanted. Coming to the suite that was the most likely location of the Dark Lord, she took a breath and reached for the annunciator but the door slid open before she could touch it. Shaken, she quickly recovered having been warned by General Dennus, and spoke to the Lady she recognised as Dana.

“My Lady, if he is present, may I speak with our Master?”

For a fraction, Lady Dana stood unsmiling then moved aside waving the captain in. Advancing into the room, she moved to stand before the seat now occupied by the Dark Lord with Captain Thompson following. The Captain saluted as His head slowly raised.

“Captain Thompson, I distinctly remember designating General Major Dennus as my contact with the Legion.”

The tone was mild, but Captain Thompson heard the undercurrent of rebuke. Standing stiffly before her sovereign, she met His graze squarely and replied. “You did, sire, but I am Captain of this vessel.”

A slight smile flickered on the sovereign’s lips and disappeared.

“You have a request for me from Admiral De Johnston?”

“I do, sire. He requests orders.”

“And?”

“And nothing, sire. He simply needs to know what your intentions are as regards the task force.”

“I see.” There was silence for a fraction. “I will consider this. Send General Dennus to me and advise the good Admiral that orders will be forthcoming soon.”

“Yes, sire.” Again Captain Thompson saluted, turned on her heel and departed. Once outside, she removed her cap and ran her hand through her hair, taking a deep breath at the same time.

At the General’s office, she passed the message on, giving a précis of her discussion with both Admiral De Johnston and the Dark Lord. Dennus’s only comment was to the effect that it was better her then him. With a smile, he affirmed that he was not upset and, yes, this was the Captain’s ship.

On the bridge, Captain Thompson contacted Admiral De Johnston.

“Our Master is considering His options. General Dennus is now with Him and I expect that we will be getting orders soon sir.”

“Thank you Captain Thompson, we appreciate your effort. Out.” The holo disappeared.

Turning to her officers, Captain Thompson issued orders getting the ship ready for departure. Not sure where they would be going, she instructed the Navigator to prepare three possible routes. First to the Rim Station providing the most direct route to Tihab. Next to the Administrative Planet of Marker’s Star galaxy and finally one in the opposite direction, in case the Dark Lord wanted an excursion. The planning was to prove redundant.

The Maiden Constance was in excellent condition so was quickly made ready for flight with the crew stood down from defensive stations. Therefore unoccupied crew members had plenty of time to talk. As with all such events, some of the crew in their bull sessions began the usual exaggerations and embellishments, none of which were corrected.

Barely a half period after Captain Thompson’s visit, the Dark Lord along with the Ladies, General Dennus and his staff, stepped onto the bridge.

“Attention.” The Ships Master brought the bridge crew to their feet.

“Back to your tasks.” The Dark Lord quietly commanded.

“Sire.” Captain Thompson was standing at her command post.

“I have instructions for the task force, Captain.” To all appearances the Dark Lord appeared to be quite composed. Captain Thompson kept her thoughts to herself and waited for the instructions to be given. “Kindly contact both Admiral De Johnston and Vice Admiral Hojo. There are separate orders to be given to each of them.”

“At once, sire.” A nod was given to her third officer who hurried to complete the order. The connections were quickly made.

“Sire, you have orders for us?” Admiral De Johnston spoke first being the senior officer.

“I do. First, Admiral Hojo, you will escort us to Tihab. Please make ready to do so. We will depart on your ready signal.” The Admiral gave a bow and saluted. “Do not leave us just yet, Admiral, I wish for you to hear the rest of my instructions.”

“As you wish, sire.” The Admiral was not concerned, this was a commonplace measure to keep all commanders in the loop.

“Admiral De Johnston, I wish you to prepare your task force to advance to the Rim Transfer station in preparation for transit to the Triangulum group. But before you make the transit, I wish to discuss this and other matters with Marshal of the Legion Sharon Du Massi. So you will need to await further orders there.” He paused and smiled. “The Marshall will have her own ideas.”

The Triangulum group had been recently colonised in the Empire’s last expansion phase several hundred years ago. While most of the galaxies in the group had been sparsely populated, there were several small but growing political groups of various kinds. Most had happily agreed to being absorbed into the Empire seeing the advantages, however, some had resisted. Taking the long view, the empire did not use force but waited for developments. However a couple had tried to use force and had received retaliation in kind. None had fought to the death, although this had been threatened. Internal dissension, encouraged by the Empire’s agents, had been sufficient to bring down governments that opposed joining the Empire.

Promises of full citizenship in the empire, along with freedoms such as of travel, association and other benefits including election of their own representatives had been sufficient in most cases. When more alien races whose whole being were largely incompatible with the dominant hominoid character of the empire were encountered, the Empire proceeded even more carefully. Often they were brought into association with the Empire. Usually there were only a few points in which there were conflicts as, in most cases planets in which each were interested were very different, so the two tended to tolerate each other quite well.

However, piracy was rampant in the Triangulum group and posed a significant problem. So Admiral De Johnston knew that if he went there, he would be very busy.

“By your command, sire. However, I have one point that I would like to raise.” The Admiral paused.

“Please continue, Admiral.”

“Admiral Hojo’s command. It is a potent, well balanced, and well-disciplined force. Could this be returned to me? It would be of great assistance in dealing with the pirate problem should we be forwarded as you suggest.” Admiral Hojo looked pleased at the implied commendation.

The Dark Lord smiled. “An excellent point, I will raise it with the Marshal, but as force distribution is her responsibility, the final word must lie with her.”

“Thank you, my Lord.” At a nod from the Dark Lord, the connection was cut.

“Captain, I will be with the General for a while, please advise when we reach Tihab,” He turned to General Dennus. “Your office, General.”

The group left the bridge. As they did, the First officer turned to the Captain. “We are ready to jump and have received instructions from the Admiral’s ship to proceed on his mark.”

“Destination?”

“Rim Transfer Station sir, the one we came in on.” He paused. “What did He mean sir, that remark about Tihab?”

The Captain gave her First officer the sort of look a senior officer gives a usually competent junior officer who had just made a foolish remark. “We’ll see,” was all she said.

 “Jump sequence engaged.” When a number of craft were jumping to the same point, they had to go in proper order. No one wanted to arrive in the same space as another craft. That would be loud, messy and final. “Closing view shields.” The Navigator was now controlling the ship.

“Countdown commencing, automatic jump coming up … now!” The ship board announcement was for those who had a reaction to hyper jumps. The battleship gathered itself and jumped.

“Time for transit?” the Captain asked.

“Eleven point six two standard period’s sir.” The Navigator replied.

Captain Thompson keyed her desk comm to ship wide mode. “To all hands. We are now in hyper. Estimated transit time eleven point six periods. There will be an officer mandated ship-wide inspection in two standard periods. That is all.” As she closed her comm, a small smile played on her lips, such inspections were never popular. An officer mandated inspection meant that each officer inspected a different part of the ship and not one for which they were normally responsible. To keep all officers on their toes, officers had to inspect a different area of the ship each time such an inspection was ordered. This meant that the officers had to study the next area they were going to inspect as the different sections were rotated each time.

No part was exempt, so Captain Thompson took the precaution of speaking to both General Dennus and the Dark Lord.

Finding both, along with the three Ladies and the general’s staff, in Dennus’s office she explained what was to happen. General Dennus agreed immediately. The Dark Lord smiled, raised an eyebrow and slipped a glance at the three Ladies. They all were wearing a cat’s smile that caused Captain Thompsons heart to sink. Out of the corner of her eye, she noted that a smile was playing on Dennus’s lips as well.

“We will be cooperative, Captain. We understand that such inspections are necessary for the efficient running of the ship.” The Dark Lord threw another look at the Ladies.

“Thank you, sire.” Captain Thompson withdrew, thinking that it was possible for the Dark Lord to exercise control over the Ladies. At least, she hoped He did.

*********

Transit time passed normally. The inspection went off well, much to the Captain’s relief. The inspection of the quarters occupied by the Dark Lord and the Ladies was also carried out without any difficulties or games played by the Ladies.

“Coming up on hyper shutdown sir.” The First officer informed the Captain

“Acknowledged.” To Captain Thompson’s mild surprise, neither the Dark Lord nor the Ladies were present.

“Shutdown, sir. Coming out now.” The shields covering the main windows were raised and the Navigator bent over his console. “Rest of Task force also arriving.”

“Position?” There was a pause.

“Sir, we are at Tihab.” The astonishment was clear in the Navigator’s voice. “Along with the whole escort force.”

The Captain sat back in her chair. “It seems that our sovereign did not want to delay his return.”

0