Chapter Twenty Two. Marriage in the Wings.
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Going through her rather limited collection of clothes, Cami finally selected what she felt was the best choice for the evening meal she had been invited to. Excited to dine with the man she loved, but nervous about the evening to come, she finally decided on a pair of her dressiest pants with a loose and slightly revealing top.

Koral of course came through for her.

“Why don’t you wear that short skirt you like with that top, that will get him wound up?” She smirked.

“Yes, the red one!” Kinna suggested.

 

Hearing her sisters’ comments, Cami reflected that her sisters had adapted all too well to their new life. “I want to impress Isk with my deportment, not give him a heart attack at the table!” She responded. “By the way Kinna, if I do get married and leave, who will you go to live with? I will have a chat with Dark about that!” Cami smirked in response. “I’ll make sure that he checks out all the boys that you know!”

“Don’t you dare!” Kinna gasped in horror. “That would be terrible.”

With a laugh, Cami shook her head. “No I won’t but you both will have to make some decisions.” Kinna and Koral exchanged glances, the talk was going to turn serious.

“Let’s sit down.” The oldest suggested. Kinna sat on the couch while the other two took a chair each.

“Look, you know that I am seeing a man from Findus.” She began, “Well I am seeing him tonight and he has asked me to marry him.”

“You are going to say yes?” Koral interrupted.

“He says that he has something to tell me.” At her sisters’ exclamations, and burst of possible suggestion, Cami put up her hand and shook her head. “I have no idea about what he will tell me.” Camis glance bounced between her two sisters. “But at the moment my answer would be yes unless what he has to say to me is something that I cannot accept.” A sigh escaped her lips. “You two are going to have to decide what you are going to do. That is, stay here or come with me. It’s your choice.”

As the two girls began to argue, each from their own perspective, Cami interrupted again. “We’ll have time to discuss this later, I have to go now. Tremma has pulled up and is waiting.” She stood and her sisters stood with her. “Hugs.” Cami held her arms wide and the three held each other close. All three silently reflected that this world was a good change from their lost homeland.

“I have to go.” Cami murmured as the three released each other.

“Give him a heart attack,” Kinna whispered.

“We’ll be waiting for when you get home.” Koral promised.

“No doubt with lots of questions.” Cami muttered to herself as she walked to the ground car her brother drove.

*********

Bullied into driving her sister to the one of the better eating establishments in the capital city of Devon V, Tremma felt himself somewhat put upon. It wasn’t that he was driving his sister, it was the decision that she had sprung on him. He had had no idea that the attraction had grown to the extent that it had. Silence reigned in the car until they reached the restaurant which was named for the owner, Toglars. Their food was very good.

“Are you sure?” Tremma asked.

“Very.” The reply came quietly. “Thank you for driving me.”

“If you need me to come and get you …?”

“I have your comm.” Cami gave her brother one last smile as she left to meet her lover.

*********

Toglars was busy this night even though it was a weekday. With all the work to complete the terraforming of the planet ongoing day and night, every day, there was no such thing as a weekend. Everyone simply worked their allotted shift with weekends and holidays worked in to make sure of two things. First that the work needed was covered. And second, that no one was overworked and that everyone got needed breaks.

So the restaurant was crowded, however Isk was able to claim a booth so that he and Cami would get a modicum of privacy. Anxiously waiting he had considered ordering a draft of the potent local ale, however selected a fruit juice instead. Findus sparkling water, his homes most famous export, not being available. I’m not much of a drinker he thought. Better keep a clear head tonight.

Looking around for the umpteenth time, he spotted Cami across the room, also looking. A wave got her attention and she made her way to the booth. Isk stood as she arrived and she smiled at the courtesy as she sat. The looks Cami had got from other men and some women, in the room even dressed as modestly as she was had not gone unnoticed by Isk.

“Would you like to order sir, madam?” The waitress was dressed in a tight fitting, classic black dress that emphasized her figure without being flamboyant. Cami felt somewhat underdressed even though what she was wearing was repeated with variations throughout the room.

“In a fraction, but perhaps you would like a drink Cami?”

Selecting a drink, fruit juice like her companions was quickly done.

“Did you find everything at the plant still working?” Cami asked with an arched eyebrow.

Isk laughed. “No breakdowns yet. Everything should be installed in twenty periods or so then the testing will begin.”

“So, no problems.” Cami reaffirmed as the same waitress delivered her drink.

“None, at least yet.”

Looking at the holo menu display, they made their selections. Cami a plate of vegetables suitable to her digestive system, topped with a little meat; Isk a more meaty meal with a side of soup. That done and the waitress disappearing with their order, Cami looked at Isk.

“You have something to tell me.” She asked in the direct manner that was typical of her destroyed home planet.

“I do.” He took a deep breath and deciding to speak with the same directness, went on. “I need to tell you my full name.” at Camis raised eyebrows, he continued. “I am, His Royal Highness Prince Isk von Sabera, Fifth in line to the Royal House of Findus.” With an eel of fear wriggling in his abdomen, he waited for Camis reaction.

Cami sat back. This was totally unexpected. Of all the terrible or funny things that she had imagined, this was not one. Fifth in line? A question crossed her mind.

“Isk, just how old are you?”

Now it was the princes turn to be surprised, but Cami wasn’t running away, that was hopeful.

“A little over three hundred years, standard, I can expect to live a couple of hundred more.” He kept his voice level and continued on. “I should be good for a couple of hundred or so.” That brought a smile from Cami which caused a jump in Isks’ heart.

“Well I am not as long lived as you, maybe a hundred and fifty to two hundred or so.” Cami shrugged. “At least, that’s what the doctors tell me.” She frowned. “I know nothing about royalty, will that be a problem?” A slight smile touched her lips. “But I am something of an expert at bowing and speaking submissively to people of higher status then me.”

A chuckle from Isk at the comment further relaxed the pair, and before anymore could be said, their meals arrived. One reason that Toglars was so popular was that all meals were cooked by hand rather than using food replicators, something that regular patrons swore made every meal taste better.

Talking while eating, Cami was reassured that she would be instructed in all necessary protocols. They were almost finished their meals and things were moving along smoothly until Cami casually asked about the palace.

“Tell me Isk, the palace, is it as big as the one on Tihab?

“I don’t think so, actually I think that it is considerably smaller,” Isk replied, slightly puzzled, “but I have never been to Tihab. Why do you ask?”

“Oh, when I was in Tihab I stayed there before I came to Devon Five.” Cami replied. “This meal is good don’t you think? Almost as good as the ones in the palace.” Cami looked up to see Isk staring at her, his cutlery poised for the next mouthful.

“You stayed with the Dark Lord, in his palace?” he asked in a hushed voice. “That is a mark of the highest honour, how did you manage that?”

Slowly Cami put down her knife and fork. She was puzzled by Isks’ reaction as she had never thought of her stay there in that manner.

“Why do you say that? I don’t understand.”

“To be asked to stay in the Imperial Palace with our Master and the Ladies of the Circle has always been considered a singular honour and is rarely given.” Isk replied, giving a look of respect verging on awe. “I think that you have out distanced me in the royalty department!” He ignored the suggestion about the food.

A pink blush appeared on Camis face. “Look, I was fourteen and badly injured in an attack on me and my contract family. He healed me and brought me to Tihab so that I could finish the healing.” In her rush to explain, Cami lost some of her composure. “I don’t see anything royal about it. I mean, the Ladies were nice, but also a bit scary!”

“The Ladies? And you were injured but He healed you?” Isk looked even more impressed, reaching out, he took Camis hand. “Perhaps you could explain everything.” He looked around. “But not here, however I do have one question that I would like an answer to. It is the one I asked you to consider when we last met.” Taking and holding both of Camis hands, he looked straight into her eyes, “Will you marry me?”

Cami pinked up even more. “Yes, Isk, I will.” She whispered in reply.

Isk reached into his pocket and produced a small box. “It is a tradition that we of Findus give our beloved a token of our love.” He passed the box to Cami. Slowly Cami took the box and opened. Inside was a ring of gold.

“The ring is not valuable in and of itself. However it has been in my mothers’ line of the family for many years. My mother gave it to me to give to you.”

With reverence Cami took the ring out of the box and slowly slipped it onto her finger. “It’s a little big,” she whispered.

“It goes on the other hand, the left one and on the third finger.” He smiled, a mixture of relief, happiness and anticipation. “Don’t worry about the size that will be adjusted by the royal jewelers.” Isk looked down at their plates, now empty. “Come,” he said. “Let us settle the bill and then I have an important job.” At Camis confused look, he added. “I must now meet all your family! An ordeal that all prospective suitors of young ladies must endure!” He laughed.

With another laugh together, getting the attention of some of the patrons, the bill was paid and the pair, now joined in their hearts left.

*********

After six days of questioning, hugging, kissing and an avalanche of suggestions on how and where to marry, the relief for both Cami and Isk boarding the Kingdoms Starship Coin was profound. The ship that had accompanied the prince to Devon V and, on the orders of the king, was to carry him back to Findus was ready. Both Koral and Kinna were to stay on Devon for the time being with Tremma and Damma and also be watched over by Dark gen Wattar and the other guardian, Patrolman Loci ion Dempster. Cami had no worries there.

Introduced to her fiancés staff, they had all been very polite but reserved. As I expected, Cami thought, hoping that they would get to know each other better. However the young woman assigned to instruct her pointed out, when Cami broached the subject, that she was marrying a prince. That would automatically put a lot of barriers between her and the rest of the public, as well as the staff.

The one person she did reach out to was Isks’ assistant, Minska Renaulti.

“I hope that we can at least get along with each other.” Cami said after some meaningless small talk. “I know that you have been with Isk for a while.”

“I have, Madam.” Was the less then cordial response. Camis chin came up and she turned to look at the view screen showing the rapidly diminishing world of Devon.

“Look, I am not a princess. In fact I belonged in one of the lower ranks of my home world. I carried lunches to my mother who cleaned houses.” Turning around, Cami looked straight at Minska. “At fourteen, I was contracted by a family who were later publicly murdered and I was stabbed by another attacker. Healed, I came to Devon, where I met Isk.”  She sighed and sat down.

“I am only telling you this so that you understand where I am coming from. I love Isk and don’t want to do anything to hurt and embarrass him or his family. So will you tell me if I am doing something wrong?” Cami gave Minska the direct stare that she had shown her brother

“I see, well I guess that we could work together.” The words were non-committal but Minska’s look and stance showed that she was impressed. She actually knew some of this, having been told by Isk and was more impressed that Cami didn’t mention who had done the healing.

Cami nodded, “That is all that I ask.” Hopeful that they had at least come to an agreement, Cami left to seek out Isk. Finding him in their private suite, she walked up and wrapped her arms around him.

“I love you.” She whispered, twisting the ring on her finger.

“I love you too.” Isk hugged her right back. Together they watched a display screen as Devon V shrink to a dot then disappear as the countdown to the jump to hyperspace commenced.

Holding each other as the starship spun into the gray void of hyperspace, they talked about the future that awaited.

*********

Far away the Dark Lord smiled, a genuine smile as he walked by night in the imperial garden. Pleased that Cami had found her love, he saw their future at least in part. It would be filled with love, leavened with a dash of pain, but they would overcome. He smiled at his companion, who just raised her eyebrows even as she wondered where he had been this time.

***************************************************************

Authors Note:

I thank those who have read all my writings and will be starting posting a new series soon!

0