Exodus, II: Premonition
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AI placeholder artwork generated above using Juggernaut XL 8.0 — CC0 1.0


 

“Father, I had a dream last night after the session at the Assembly,” the son, Crown Prince Sun King II, privately reveals to his father, King Sun King I.

The father and son sit together in a small study in the relative privacy of the King’s Bay Palace, a by no means modest royal residence.

“A dream of what, my son?” the father asks.

“Fire raining down from the starry night — the bay ablaze. It was the Empire. Heaven’s Martials had arrived,” the son explains.

They both sit quietly for a moment before the father interrupts their contemplative silence, “As rational men, we can only come to one conclusion… That this is a vision from the First! The Assembly may dismiss your reasoning, but they cannot dismiss the First. I shall call for another session. The Assembly must be informed of this at once!”

The son lets out a long, deep, frustrated sigh as he rests his face against his palms, rubbing his eyes and shaking his head before voicing his pain, “It’s just all so tiresome, Father. Can’t they be convinced by reason and history alone? All the scrolls in the King’s Library couldn’t convince what a mere dream could. Respectfully, Father, this is not the way of rational men.”

“Tsk! Such nonsense, son! Only an irrational man would dismiss a vision. To do so otherwise would be blasphemy! You must have faith, my son. You cannot have reason without faith. Your destiny is irrefutable now. The Assembly will support your quest without question if they are all of rational hearts,” the father exclaims.

The day after tomorrow, the Assembly reconvenes. There is much hushed speaking after the father invited his son to reveal his vision to the assemblymen.

Assemblyman Rigid Back III stands to speak as the other voices become quieter, “Members of the Assembly — we would be fools to ignore a vision from the First. Respectfully question and oppose the reasoned argument of His Highness I may, but to do so to a vision would be absurd! In my humble view, His Highness must heed this vision. It is His Highness’ destiny! I implore all fellow assemblymen to endorse His Highness’ journey beyond this land. May the First guide His Highness and keep His Highness safe!”

As the assemblyman returns to his seat, the father rises and swiftly calls for a vote. The Assembly is unanimous. The son shall depart the island on his quest. Sitting, tired and reserved, the son sighs in both relief and resentment.

0