[01] – [Crest of the King]
428 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before I met with Agatha, that day when my life took a grossly unexpected turn. I had lived in a village that didn’t even have a proper name and wasn’t listed on any map. I was the youngest son of a single parent family who did a little farming on the side to survive. My mother was in her mid thirties and up until recently remained the most beautiful woman I’d ever seen in my entire life. My older sister Celina was no slouch though, threatening to usurp her title in my mind at any moment.

I don’t know exactly when it started, but probably around the time I was four years old and tripped on a stray root or weed or something and ended up skinning my knee on a sharp rock just outside my home, staring at the sight of the red blood oozing out of me caused a strange sensation to occur in my mind. It was like a tornado of mist, and through it on occasion, would present hazy memories that were both mine, and not.

For nearly a year, memories of another time and place plagued me, and I felt estranged from this world, my life, and my dear family. At first I couldn’t grasp the reason why things felt more different here than in those intangible memories, but I later understood it had to do with the people of the village. Primarily, those who had reached the age of fifteen and could be called adults.

Unlike the other children my age–my beautiful and caring older sister included–The adults had in the center of their forehead a sort of symbolic mark that resembled a tattoo drawn in silver ink. I had no idea what it was at first, exactly, but I was fixated on it for the longest time. My mother was reserved in ever letting my fingers–which in her defense were almost always dirty from playing outside–touch the mark she had on her forehead. She did however tell me back then as a young boy that they were important, and that my older sister and I would also one day get our own shortly after our fifteenth birthday when the 『Crest Witch』 came to visit our village.

「Silan, this silver mark is called a 『Crest』 and it is given to us by the Gods. It remains hidden until a person reaches their fifteenth year of life and becomes an adult. There are many different ones, and they all represent different jobs in our society. They also confer to you a special ability, which is to be exemplary at that job compared to others who do not have it.」

「So, if I get a 『Crest』 that says I can have a job that uses swords or magic, then I’ll be the best at it?」

My mother smiled tenderly at me. I was young and didn’t understand how detailed or niche a Crest could be.

「That’s right. If you had one of those Crests, you could even be an Imperial Knight or a Court Mage.」

「Whoa! If I become one of those, then I can get a job at a castle and bring mom and Celina to live with me in their capital city!」

My mother had picked me up and put me on her lap, gently stroking my hair. It was one of the few times I had seen her face strained with worry at how to answer.

「While that would be nice, the only thing mom wants Silan and Celina to worry about is being happy.」

「Don’t worry, mom. I’ll make both you and Celina happy!」

I had no idea back then how catastrophically wrong my promise would become.

My childhood was spent much like any other child in this nameless village, save for the education both Celina and I received from our mother. I played around with the other few children in the village, and got in trouble from time to time as any normal young boy would.

There were times over the passing years in which we struggled. Days where we had little to nothing substantial to eat while we waited for our garden to produce crops, subsisting on whatever could be foraged from the woods nearby; roots, mushrooms, berries, and the occasional fruit that would be split three ways.

In my tenth year of life, I was given a present by my mother and sister; a short sword that had seen far better days, sure, but a short sword of my own at least, that I could practice with. With that, I would spend hours each day swinging it, holding tightly to my dream of being an Imperial Knight or something that would guarantee a good income and status.

Both my mother and my sister also dreamed of a better life, and so encouraged my dream of us eventually leaving the village and moving to a bigger town or even a city, staying together as a happy family who took care of each other, always.

My sister was two years older than I was. In my thirteenth year of life, Celina had become old enough to have to gather at the village square when the pilgrimaging 「Crest Witch」 would come to visit our nameless city once each year and reveal the crests of those who were old enough. Mother went along with her while I stayed home.

When my sister returned later that day, it was with a silvery symbol in the center of her forehead. According to what the 「Crest Witch」 had told her about it, the crest was a rare one. It was the Crest of the Alchemist.

With Celina’s crest now revealed, there was a debate at home as to what to do about it. Alchemists were far too rare to waste away in a village without a name, but also required a lot of time to learn their trade. Mother seemed to be a bit familiar with Celina’s crest, and suggested that my sister begin her Alchemist training under a man named Garvil who possessed the 「Herbalist」 crest, and ran the village apothecary.

His shop was to the south end of the village square near a flower field that led straight into a thick forest known to be full of wolves. My mother had gone to visit him one day shortly after my Celina’s crest was revealed, negotiating for my sister to become his apprentice for a number of years while she learned how to utilize the special knowledge her crest would bestow upon her.

This apprenticeship meant that she had to leave our house and go to his, as traveling back and forth between our home and the village square was a long affair one way, and untenably exhaustive both ways, if she was to learn from him everyday.

I wasn’t exactly happy with the idea of having my sister part from us, even though she would be living only two hours’ walk away in the village square. I was far less happy about things after mother had invited Garvil to dinner one night at our home. There was something about him that didn’t sit right with me. It felt like his eyes were drawn more to my sister than my mother, and it left me suspicious that he saw my sister more as a woman than an apprentice!

But, there was nothing I could do except voice my concern to the both of them after he left. My mother’s face which was usually tender and warm towards us both was held tight like a mask, and my sister who seemed excited at first now had a look of confusion when I pleaded for Celina’s apprenticeship to not happen. That it would only take two years until I got my crest, and then we could go to a bigger city, and she could train under someone else.

That was when the matter of our poverty was brought up. I knew we were poor, but my mother never really explained to me how poor we were. All my whimsical child-like dreams of just picking up and going to a bigger town or city never once took into account that it would cost a significant amount of money to do so.

Though mother had never said anything to us about what it was exactly, her crest was not one suitable for something like farming or laborious tasks. If Celina had the time and resources to experiment with Alchemy on her own, she could one day learn her crest’s abilities naturally. But it would also take far longer than learning under someone with a similar, if lesser, crest than her own. As an apprentice she would be fed and housed by Gervil as she worked for him, as well as earn some coin for the future, which meant the strain that mother underwent in trying to support us both, however it was she did so outside of trading our vegetables, would be lessened to just me and her.

But, still, it didn’t feel right.

For weeks I continued to beg my mother and sister to reconsider. But my usually kind and infinitely patient mother had done the unthinkable to me one day. She had slapped me across the face and told me to stop being childish. People had to work to eat, to live, to survive in this world. Nothing in this world came free, and anyone offering such things would eventually take something priceless as payment from a fool who believed it!

The act of my mother slapping my face shook me. I was willful, I admit, but I had for the first time in my life felt betrayed by my family.

「If anything happens to Celina, I swear to the Gods that I will never forgive you!」 I spat venomously in return at my mother.

I left the house that day, retreating to the woods nearby where I had built for myself a small wooden room up in the trees years ago, where I could be alone and do things a teenage boy would do. I mean, aside from my sister, there were a few pretty girls my age or older in the village, and I think it’s safe to say I had a need to use my imagination with them creatively to help vent my anger out in other ways.

I didn’t return home for days out of stubbornness, and as a result, I wasn’t even home on the day Celina left to begin her apprenticeship with Garvil. So, I just kept myself secluded in my tree fort more often than not after that. Whenever my mother tried to talk with me as I tended to the fields outside of our home, I ignored her. I wasn’t angry about the slap across the face anymore, I was angry that she fully understood my concerns and still sent my sister to that lecherous old man’s apothecary home to apprentice under him.

For the record, it’s not unusual to have a teenager with a freshly revealed crest work for someone older and more experienced. If I became a swordsman or a mage I’d likely be apprenticed to someone older and more experienced as well if the possibility was there. This was at its core, a matter of a gut feeling that bothered me immensely.

Celina had come to visit from time to time, assuring me that nothing improper was going on and that she was learning well how to make salves and potions and other concoctions that would be useful to know should she ever want to open her own apothecary once we moved to a new place while I found work as a swordsman or knight. She even gave mother a few coins she had earned as well on each visit to help out the household, but remained stubborn about her apprenticeship with Garvil.

I knew she and mother often talked about my change in attitude, calling it my rebellious phase.

It irked me to no end how I was being looked down upon now. But what can be done when the people I cared about refused to take what I had to say seriously because to them I was still a child?

I felt like even the hazy disconnected memories I had of that other world spoke to similar ends.

A year had passed without incident. But the rift that had formed in our family hadn’t been sealed. It grew wider instead. I still harbored distrust towards Garvil, and I remained certain that my gut feeling wasn’t wrong.

I didn’t know at the time what was going on. I didn’t talk with my mother, so how could I?

I didn’t know of the deal that my mother had struck with Garvil until my mother fell ill one day and collapsed. A friend of my mother, an old silver-haired midwife named Matilda–the same woman who had delivered both Celina and myself–had come to see how she was doing as she recovered in bed.

「You’re with child.」

I was secretly standing outside the door when I heard Matilda speak. There was no response from my mother other than 「I see. It was bound to happen eventually without proper contraceptives.」

How could my mother be pregnant? Something didn’t add up. I knew enough to know that you need a man in the picture for that to happen, and the only man around here was me. I certainly wasn’t responsible… So, the question came to be… who was?

Where before I didn't care a lick about where she went, now I had begun to keep a close eye on my mother, trailing her in secret when she left the house. However, she never went anywhere out of the ordinary. Months passed by and her belly slowly grew in size. And as winter came once again and the year turned, I finally reached my fifteenth year of life.

When the 「Crest Witch」 came to the village again, I would finally be able to gain a noteworthy crest and be able to do something about Celina’s apprenticeship.

It wasn’t every winter, but snow sometimes fell in our village. When it did, traveling to and fro from our house to the village square became incredibly difficult at times. Mother was getting closer and closer to being due, no longer able to keep secret the fact that she was pregnant from me.

I hadn’t questioned her up to this point, accepting that a grown woman, even if she was my mother, was entitled to a private dalliance. She was still young and beautiful, I couldn’t fault her if she had those kinds of needs once in a while. But I guess I really was a child to have not connected the pieces more quickly than I should have. Celina didn’t visit our home this month, instead sending a local hunter we knew to deliver a small pouch of coins to us. Her earnings.

I could see that even my mother was worried about something now.

「It’s Garvil, isn’t it?」

While mother was making a thin vegetable stew with a rabbit I had hunted in the woods next to our house for her, only because I was aware that she needed to eat for two, I suddenly spoke my mind.

Because nothing else made sense.

「Hahaha! It all makes sense now.」

「Silan, what are you talking about?」

「Has it happened yet? Has that son-of-a-bitch laid his hands on her? I know you haven’t gone to see him since Matilda came after your collapse.」

「He wouldn’t dare! Silan, in exchange for her apprenticeship, he and I…」

「Mother. Did you really believe that he wouldn’t dare? Don’t you remember when he came over for dinner years ago? His eyes didn’t even look in your direction once, and you’re every bit as beautiful as my sister!」

My mother’s hand reached for her belly.

「He… wouldn’t…」

「Really? I know I would. You only ever think of me as a child, but I would certainly do exactly that sort of thing if Celina was what I wanted. Furthermore, to have a mother and daughter pair as beautiful as you two are with swollen bellies made by me? It’s a man’s dream, mother. I know that I wouldn’t hesitate for even a moment!」

My mother collapsed on the floor when I said that to her in an unsteady voice.

「I have lived all my life with you and Celina. I know exactly how unnaturally beautiful both you and my sister are. Why do you think I haven’t taken a fancy to any of the town daughters here? Or their mothers, full of wrinkles, pock-marked faces, and sagging breasts! How can any of them compare to you two who may as well be faeries? It’s like comparing a candle to the sun at midday!」

「Oh… no…!」

「I would pray, mother. Because I’ve put up with it long enough. I’m going to fetch Celina, and if I find out it’s the case, and that he’s laid even a single finger on her… I will kill Garvil.」

My mother turned to reach out for me, cried out for me not to go, but I had wrapped a cloak around myself to protect me from the falling snow, and exited our house into the powdery field outside.

It took a long while before I reached the village square. There were no villagers outside. Who would be foolish enough to go outside in the snow at night when it’s the coldest?

While I owned a sword, I didn’t bring it with me. It wouldn’t have been too useful anyway. Instead, I had a single small dagger concealed in my sleeve, just in case it was necessary. I hoped I wouldn’t have to use it. I truly hoped that the gut feeling I harbored for over a year now was wrong. But it wouldn’t go away with only wishful thinking.

I first tried to open the door to the apothecary without knocking, but found it was locked. It was just as well, because there was a string with a bell attached to the front door which would have alerted both Garvil and Celina to a customer having entered.

So, I circled around the building looking for a window I might crawl through. Rather than fight or cause a commotion, I wanted to get Celina out of there quietly. I felt my guts churn when I heard the worst sound in the world. The moans of a woman coming from where I imagined the bedroom of this place would be.

What happened after hearing those moans was vague to me. I know I was overcome by some kind of dark emotion. When I recovered enough to wrest control of myself from whatever possessed me, I was standing over the slumped and bloody body of Gervil. Lying in the bed, naked and screaming while trying to cover her front, was my sister.

My sister whom I dearly loved all of my life.

My sister who had been violated enough by this disgusting man to have a swollen belly herself.

In my hand was a dagger covered in Gervil’s blood.

On my face was surely a look of disgust.

Not at Gervil’s dead and prone form which leaked the last of his life’s essence.

But disgust aimed at my sister, for some inexplicable reason.

「Like mother, like daughter. Did you know mother was pregnant with his child as well?」

Celina looked at me aghast. I’m sure I looked like a monster to her.

「W-what?」

I lobbed the dagger at Celina.

「I won’t apologize for making either of you widows. Now that I know that I was right all along, I don’t care anymore. I begged you and mother both not to let this apprenticeship happen, but neither of you loved me enough to listen. I’m leaving, Celina. You’re free to find me and seek revenge if I’m not already dead by then. I’m sure I’ll be captured eventually when you have to report what I’ve done. I suppose the last thing I can do as your little brother is wish you can find the happiness we all once dreamed of, even though I’ve probably deprived you of it, just like you both did me.」

I turned and walked away after saying my peace without so much as a farewell. There were no witnesses to what I had done save for Celina. I was careful to take my boots off before I left the apothecary, and my sister, behind. No blood trail followed where I headed.

There was nothing of importance back home except the woman who birthed me, fed me, raised me, taught me, and ultimately discarded me. So, I went straight to my hideaway fort up in the trees of the woods next to my home for the last time. I cleaned my bloodstained boots, grabbed my dull sword, and took the few coins I had been given as an allowance over the years which I never spent and hid here before carving into the wood on the inside the admission that because Gervil had laid his hands on my mother and sister, I had killed him.

If the children they give birth to grow up and one day find this place, I suppose they deserve to know why they have no father. Perhaps they will ask their mothers the right questions if they wish to seek vengeance, but in all likelihood, I will be dead by then.

I took only what I needed and left the rest along with a hastily written letter on a tattered piece of parchment with coal chalk on the doorstep.

I had grown up in a village without any proper name. I was capable of hunting and farming, and I spent a great deal of time over the last five years swinging a sword and using a bow. I was confident I could leave this place and survive on my own. I understood as I passed through the woods to the north, heading in the direction of the nearest town I knew of, why I had been so overcome and slew Gervil.

I desired my own sister.

My sister who I grew up with, I wanted as my own lover. I didn’t even care that he knocked up my mother. It was that he dared to lay his filthy hands on my sweet and beautiful sister… I didn’t think I was some beast who was capable of incest, but I knew the feelings deep inside of me were true. It was my eyes who looked at Celina with desire. Not the same desire to put a baby inside of her, but the desire to always have her by my side. To always have her kind gaze directed only at me.

From the tornado of memories inside of me, a specific fractured memory pushed to the forefront of my mind. Like all the memories, holding onto it was like trying to grab the morning mist but having only damp palms as a result. All I could do was relive the brief moment as always.

An orphanage.

A young boy, alone.

A board consisting of squares and strange statues that stood on opposite sides.

No family he belonged to, no others he could call friends, the child holding a single statue in his hand. It was a black piece adorned with a crown.

The child was waiting for something.

For someone.

Anyone, to join him.

When no one did, the boy’s hand swung across the board and all the statues went flying.

The memory passed in an instant, and tears began to flow down my face.

I knew that it was me. Not Silan, but me nonetheless.

One foot in front of the other trekked I, onward, until I reached the next town. It was a village hardly different from the one I grew up in. The only difference was that it had a name, even if it wasn’t large enough to appear on any kind of map. Woodstone Village. Named only for the fact that it had a stone quarry and forests in abundance.

When I entered the village, it was night. I had found an inn, for even my own nameless village had one. I paid a single copper for a shared room with a hay bed. I didn’t need extravagance. I just needed to sleep for a little while.

When I awoke the next morning, I paid a little bit more for a meal, purchased some rations and then set out once again.

Though the ground was also covered in snow here, there were many villagers bustling about. Most of them were talking of the latest news in the nearby Kingdom of Veruni’s capital that was probably long outdated by the time it had reached here.

It seems there was drastic infighting within the royal family, and all the members of the direct bloodline to the throne had somehow managed to kill each other, leaving the kingdom without a monarch to rule it. Aside from a few concubines with illegitimate children who remained alive, none of them could ascend the throne for some reason.

It was juicy news for someone who cared. It meant nothing to a vagabond peasant like me.

There was one thing that caught my ear, however.

News regarding the whereabouts of the 「Crest Witch」 .

While in the larger cities of the nearby kingdoms, it’s said there are temples where those who have come of age can go anytime to have their crest revealed. But for those who live afar, who till the soil in remote lands, it is part of the duty of a 「Crest Witch」 to make a pilgrimage each year and reveal the crests which need to be revealed, lest they never be.

I somehow felt like it was my destiny to have it done by a 「Crest Witch」 rather than at some temple. So, listening to the news, it seems that heading Eest was the best way to encounter her. Consequently the East also happened to lead to the Veruni Kingdom.

Deciding on how to move forward, I quickly purchased some travel rations, not knowing how long it would be before someone sent word to other nearby villages for the capture of Gervil’s murderer. I decided to hurry Eastward in the hopes of at least knowing what my fate would have been; What crest would have been revealed to me.

Would I have been a knight, or a mage?

No, mage was unlikely. I didn’t have the first clue how to use magic.

Knights were virtuous, and knowing the darkness inside of my heart that made me desire my sister and slay her child’s father… I knew that wasn’t a possibility anymore.

I was half-grateful for the somewhat warm day, though it impeded my progress at times thanks to some of the snow underfoot melting away into puddles. It was three days of travel and one nasty encounter with a single wolf who held me in the same regard as the jerky I ate, before I made it to the village of Valburgia with fatigue as my only battle scar. Thankfully, the Wolf was not so interested in adding unnecessary iron into its diet.

~~**~~

The first thing I did was head to the nearest inn to secure my lodgings for the night. One look from her towards my bare forehead had her gauging my age mentally before asking me if I had come in advance to meet with the 『Crest Witch』 who was expected to arrive in town in two days time.

I had said I was, since word had been sent to Valburgia village already. In small villages like this, even though it was much bigger than my home village, usually a rider was sent in advance to notify the village head in order for them to spread word to all the families with children who had come of age in a timely manner. As the procedure would be completed in a single day, it was imperative that no child-come-adult miss out on their yearly opportunity. So, making sure to extend my stay for the extra days until the 『Crest Witch』 arrived, I watched as my funds dwindled once more.

I was shown to the shared room by the Innkeeper’s daughter. She was crest-less like I was, having short dirty brown hair cut that didn’t go past her ears. A slender build gifted to her by nature and not the telltale signs of starvation fit snugly into a white and brown two-piece shirt and short outfit, instead of a dress as one might have expected. She was without a doubt the tomboyish type of gal.

「Aihn’t nev’r see’d yah in th’village before. Yah came from afar ta’ stay fer the Crestin’?」

She had a thick and pleasing local accent one would expect from a village daughter.

「That’s right. I was impatient waiting in my home village and wanted to have it revealed as soon as possible.」

「Tha’s nice. Ah also am wait’n. If’n the Gods see fit ‘n all, ah’d be mighty pleased t’get a cookin’ crest, like Baker!」

「You want the Baker’s crest?」

「Sure do. An’ not jes’ fer bread, mind. Ah like cookin’ other thangs ‘s well. But Ma sayd that ah shouldn’ get mah hopes up fer anythin’ like the Chef’s crest, us bein’ common folk ‘n all an’ them’s bein’ fancy noble crests ‘n whatnot.」

「There’s nothing wrong with dreaming big. I’m hoping I have an Imperial Knight’s crest revealed by the witch.」

「Tha’s one o’dem fancy crests ain’it? What fer protectin’ nobles in th’Capital ‘n such? Yah like swords ‘n stuff, mister?」

「I do. You don’t have to call me mister by the way, my name is Silan.」

「Nice t’meet’cha. Ahm Tae.」

We shook hands pleasantly.

「Welp, this ‘ere room ‘s th’commons. Ain’t no one else stayin’, so’s yah can take yer pick o’where ta’ bed down. Hay’s fresh, too. Forked it m’self yesterday.」

「I appreciate that. Nothing like a fresh bed of hay.」

「Ah’ll come’n git yah fer supper. Won’t be nothin’ fancy-like, jes’ soup’n bread.」

「Tae, as long as it’s not stale bread along with tough and salty jerky, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it.」

She nodded.

「If yah be need’n anythin’, yah can ask fer me. Otherwise, enjoy yer stay, Mister Silan.」

「I appreciate your hospitality, Tae.」

「Ain’t nothin’ special.」

She stared at me for a moment before leaving.

I was tired from traveling for three days, sleeping outdoors in a defensible position or up in the trees. Traveling alone was by no means the most intelligent thing to do. My trip here had me passing through forests, grassy hills, and crossing streams without bridges. The first thing I did when Tae left was to take off my boots and strip down to my undergarments then collapse into the most comfortable looking hay pile.

I slept straight through the afternoon until I was lightly shaken awake by Tae.

「Ain’t mean ta’ disturb yah, but it’s time fer supper.」

「It’s that late already? Thanks for waking me up, I was really looking forward to eating something good.」

「Ah tol’ ya’ it won’t be nothing fancy-like.」

As nice as it was being woken up by a girl, I was in a somewhat indecent state. I was only wearing my undergarments and covered up with my cloak acting as a blanket.

「I’ll be right inside once I get dressed.」

「Ah’ll get yer bowl made a’fore yah reach th’table.」

She left me in peace to put on my clothes. Once dressed, I found the mess area inside the Inn and sure enough, Tae had brought out a decent sized wooden bowl with a spoon and a good sized piece of brown bread.

I wasn’t the only patron the Inn had. I don’t know if the other folks in the mess area were staying here, or if it simply made extra money on the side serving food to townsfolk who didn’t want to be bothered having to cook for themselves, but it didn’t matter. The soup was thick, the vegetables were thick, the quantity of meat was about what I expected for the price I paid along with the common room, and I could see the delighted smile on Tae’s face as I tore into the bread, dunking it into the soup before stuffing it in my mouth and letting the flavor soak onto my tongue.

「Ish rewwy goob!」

My mother had taught me not to speak with my mouth full, but I think in this case, she was happy to receive the compliment as such. She couldn’t stay for long, since she was also tending to some of the other patrons, I made sure to clean my bowl as much as possible to show my appreciation for her already skillful cooking.

I stepped outside to see the starry sky, and wondered about Celina and our mother. I had to get the best crest I could. I’m not an ingrate, even if I felt unforgivably betrayed by them. If I can become an Imperial Knight or something that can make good coinage, I’ll make sure to send some to them, somehow.

I went back to the common room to lay back down, the cool night air that began to penetrate the room made me glad I got fully dressed. I swung my sword for a bit to help digest the soup, and then laid down to rest. I closed my eyes to meditate, hoping it would help me become drowsy after having slept for many hours already. Exhaustion is a wonderful thing, however, since my body decided it would rather cooperate by letting me do nothing and pass into unconsciousness rather than try to wear it out more with exercise.

The next day, I was awake when Tae entered the common room, letting me know breakfast was also available.

「Ain’t much but a plate o’herb eggs ’n fatback with bread from las’ night.」

「Sounds scrumptious.」

I got up again and brought all my belongings with me before following the Innkeeper’s daughter. Just in case anyone checked in, I didn’t want my things to get lost since I had planned to wander around the village after this.

There were noticeably fewer patrons gathered in the mess for breakfast. By notably less, of course I meant only myself and Tae who had joined me. Was I someone of interest to her? The eggs were a tad spicy but cooked in the bacon grease, and the bacon itself was nice and soft. To my delight, the bread was even buttered, too! Tae was without a doubt happy to receive further praise on her cooking from me.

「What’cha plannin’ on doin’ t’day Mister Silan?」

「I was just going to go for a light walk around the village.」

「Okey. Would’ja like some company? I knows a couple’a nice spots around ’ere!」

「You aren’t busy with work here at the inn?」

「Shucks, no! Right now you’se the only one stayin’ here.」

「Then, as long as it’s okay, I’d be happy to have you show me around Valburgia.」

Breakfast wrapped up, and soon the both of us were outside of the inn. Without any sense of distance, Tae had grabbed my hand and we began walking around without me having a clue of where we were headed.

At first it was just around the immediate village square. Valburgia’s was much bigger than both my home village and Woodstone which I passed through only a few days prior. It had a general store, a shop that was both the cobblery and the tannery, a smithy–though they only made farm tools and pots and pans and such. A carpenter’s shop run by a large family. A seamstress’s shop which was the local hangout for the ladies of the town to gossip at, a livery which had some horses and mules that I suspect the hay in my bed was sourced from, and a bit aways from the village itself, situated on a river, the miller’s place.

「This ‘ere‘s Raiyan’s place.」

「Raiyan?」

「His Pa is th’village’s miller. We been friends fer a long time. Ah figure if’n I get me the Baker’s crest, an’ he gets th’Miller’s crest, we’ll probably wind up together.」

「Why’s that?」

「Ain’t it obvious? A miller turns wheat ta’ flour, an’ bakers use flour fer jes’about everythin’ they bake!」

「So, it’s only because of business?」

「Ah’m not sure. Ma sayd I’m at the age for fancyin’ menfolk, but I don’t know what it means.」

「What it means to fancy someone?」

She nodded.

「I know it means things like kissin’ an’ huggin’, but I ain’t never done none o’that mahself.」

「You said you two are friends, right?」

「A’huh.」

「Do you not feel the desire to kiss and hug this… Raiyan?」

「Not really. Ah mean, I like spendin’ time with ‘im when we go dippin’ in th’stream up aways from ‘ere.」

「Dippin’?」

She bumped my shoulder with hers.

「Yah know! When yah take yer shoes off an’ dip yer feets in the cool water.」

It wasn’t something I had particularly done. There was a stream in my old village, but it was way on the opposite side of where I lived. There were only encroaching woods from my house to just before the village square.

「I’ve never gone dippin’ before. Is it fun?」

「Shucks yeah! Why don’ we go an’ you can give it a try!」

With nothing better to do, she tugged my arm along and we walked together along a downward slope until we were right on the stream’s embankment.

「Now alls’ yah gots ta’ do is kick off yer shoes an’ dip yer feet in th’water.」

She was the quicker of us two, kicking off her shoes with practiced ease and then taking a step into the stream before sitting down on the grassy shoulder. I followed suit, and we were both sitting down with our feet in a cool stream of running water.

「In the summer, there’ll be li’l fish what nibble on yer toes. They ain’t gots no teeth so it don’t hurt none, but it’s kinda ticklish an’ fun.」

She swished her feet in the water while both of her hands touched the grass. She has a sort of pleasant demeanor that gives off a homely atmosphere around her. She plucked a nearby piece of straw and put it between her lips. Tae laid back in the grass after that, and her hand reached over to my shirt and pulled me down a moment later.

I looked up at the sky, my eyes full of endless blue and the occasional puffy white cloud. As if she hadn't had enough of it already, her hand sought for my hand until she found it again. Then she pulled my hand with it upwards.

「Ain’t no better way ta’ relax.」

「So this is your definition of fun in Valburgia?」

「A-huh. What’s yer version o’fun where yer from?」

「It’s probably not much different from this. There are some nice woods near my home, and I built a little fort up in the trees to use as a hideaway.」

「Yah like climbin’ trees?」

「I don’t know if I like climbing trees, but there wasn’t much else to do, and I was good enough at it.」

「Ain’t it dangerous? Woods’re home ta’ all sorts o’critters what wanna hurt yah.」

「There wasn’t anything too dangerous in the woods by my house. From my tree fort I could pick off wandering rabbits with a bow and arrow.」

「Ah wish ah could hunt. Ma won’ let me. Sayd it’s menfolk business. D’yah think so too?」

「Not at all. I think anyone can do it if they try, but I wouldn’t recommend hunting dangerous things unless you really were skilled and aware of your surroundings. But for something like a rabbit? I absolutely think you could hunt one.」

「Yer… th’first what said tha’ t’me.」

I lightly squeezed her hand. In response she slid her body next to my own until our shoulders pressed together. We continued to stare at the skies, until she made a sudden proposition.

「Mister Silan, yah wanna see my secret spot?」

「Secret spot? If you show me it, would it remain a secret?」

「Yer only in th’village until th’crest witch comes tomorrow, ain’cha?」

「Pretty much. Once I have my crest revealed, I’ll be moving on.」

「Then it’s fine, s’long‘s yah promise yah won’t tells anyone.」

「I promise.」

「Good, grab yer shoes ‘n les’go!」

She sat up and hopped to her feet, gripping my arm with her other hand to help me up. We grabbed our shoes with our only free hand and headed upstream, I believe, until we came across a rock formation that began the current stream. Water cascaded from a different stream about twenty feet above us.

「Jes’ a li’l bit o’climbin, and thar’s a cave on th’ledge.」

It wasn’t actually climbing up a rock face or anything. There was a rocky ledge footpath that required some dexterity and cautious jumps to traverse, as well as one proper pull-up to hoist our bodies up and onto the ledge that held an amazing secret.

「Wha’cha think?」

「It’s incredible…」

Some of the water that fell, instead of falling into the stream below, flooded into a cave. But the cave wasn’t dark. It had all sorts of luminous gems or minerals that reflected the little light that came from outside. In the center was a really cool pool of water.

「Las’ one in’s a rooster-egg!」

While I was taking in the sight, she had let go of my hand and stripped herself of all her clothing. I only knew this because she lept from right next to me into the pool and she wasn’t wearing anything but her skin as she plunged into the water.

「Ya~ooh! It’s shuckin’ cold!」

She waved to me after that, and I got a free glimpse of her chest. They were both the size of half a full-grown orange, with a small soft protuberance at the center.

「C’mon in already!」

I could think of only one or two occasions when my sister and I both played in a stream naked. We weren’t much older than eight and six respectively, and it was an innocent thing. Tae certainly gave off an innocent vibe, but I was a man. I knew what it meant to join a naked woman in this manner.

But I was also a teenager full of vigor. So, I stripped off my own clothes and joined her. I don’t even think she paid attention to the parts that made us different.

Gods alive! The water was way colder than I thought!

「Hehehe~ I tell’d yah it was shuckin’ cold!」

Yes, shuckin’ was the proper euphemism for how cold it really was. That excited part of me was threatening to turtle up at this pace. Not that I was going to lay my hands improperly on Tae. We were simply on an outing as acquaintances to alleviate our boredom.

She swam over to me, even though our feet could touch the bottom of the pool easily enough.

「Yer the first person a’sides me what come here.」

「Really? None of your friends ever found this place?」

「Well, I trieds ta’ show ‘em, but none of ‘em could make it up here. Raiyan, Peena, Deego, and Nella was all too scared ta’ jump, or not able ta’ pull theyselves up at th’end. So far, it’s jes’ been me, an’ now yah what come’d in my secret spot!」

She took my hand again and half-waded half-swam to a certain spot in the middle of the cavern pool. She hefted herself up onto a partially submerged platform of rock and used it as a seat. Thanks to that I was treated to a special view of her own secret spot. Realizing the inherent danger at staring at that for too long, I looked up at her face. My eyes, however, aimed about a foot lower than her chin.

「Are yah lookin’ at mah bowbies Mister Silan?」

「It’s a man’s duty to.」

「Ah see. Yah think they’s nice?」

「Definitely.」

「Ah knows menfolk is supposed ta’ like ‘em somethin’ fierce, a’couse Ma sayd so. But ain’t they jes’ fer feedin’ li’l un’s?」

She was just too, too, defenseless and naive. Unless I was being conned and seduced, though I just couldn’t believe she was capable of doing so intentionally.

「Do yah like ‘em somethin’ fierce, like Ma sayd?」

「Without a doubt. But Tae, you should only show them to the man you fancy.」

「But I ain’t gots nobody ta’ fancy.」

She slid down from the submerged platform and into the water, putting her arms around my neck and pressing those two devastating devices into my bare chest.

「I ain’t gots nobody what wants ta’ huggin’ and kissin’ me neither.」

「Tae…」

「Am ah bad fer wantin’ ta’ knows about it?」

「Then, just a little, okay?」

She bit her lower lip and nodded. I put my arms around her and brought my lips to hers, slowly joining them together. It was both my salvation and my regret that it was really shuckin’ cold water we were swimming in, because that wasn’t going to be happening, no matter how innocently coquettish she was behaving. My lower half was an upside-down soft shelled turtle retreating from the world.

But the kiss was nice.

Really nice.

Soft lips, soft skin, soft on the eyes…

「T-tha… was… fun…」

Even with the luminous nature of the cave, I couldn’t see her fully blushing face.

She swam away after that, and we both left her secret spot a short while later. Now that we were fully dressed once again, and safely down from the hidden water cave, we both put on our shoes and wandered back to town, once more holding hands, and this time I was able to see her blushing face properly.

We ended up going to a wide field of flowers when we followed the stream in the opposite direction for a while. I had brought my sword along and she wanted to see me swing it. I can’t say if I was particularly good or bad, but I, being a man, tried to show off to her anyway. There was an eagerness on her face as her eyes followed my sword with each swing. I got the impression she wanted to give it a try.

Since I got to enjoy myself in the cave at her expense, shouldn’t I also return the favor?

「Tae, want to give it a try?」

「Wah? Yer gon’ let me swang it?」

「As long as you hold it properly and don’t do anything reckless.」

「Ah swear ah won’t!」

I carefully handed the sword over to her and showed her how to grip it properly with both hands. While short swords can be held with one hand, it’s best for a complete amateur to use both hands to reduce the risk of injury or the sword slipping out and going flying in a dangerous way.

I know this from personal experience back when I began training with it when I was ten years old.

I showed her how to do the three basic strikes I practiced. The overhead strike, the angular rising strike, and the angular falling strike. She seemed to get the hang of it, but her body was off balance quite a bit. She would be better served using a lighter weapon, I think. When I saw that she was beginning to take deep breaths from overworking herself, I had her stop for her own good.

It didn’t take any of the fire out of her, though.

「Tha’ was real fun Mister Silan!」

「I’m glad you thought so. A short sword might be a bit much for you right now, but something with a lighter weight to it might be much more suitable for you to train with. Also, since you have a thin body and move quickly, it would be better overall to have a weapon that works with your mobility. I’d recommend a long dagger, personally.」

「So’s somethin’ like mah Ma’s kitchen knife?」

「Daggers are a bit different in how they are shaped, but the weight might be similar enough. Just be careful, and make sure your hands aren’t slippery or sweaty when you’re holding it.」

「Ain’t no problem. Got’s plenty o’flour in th’kitchen ta’ keep ‘em dry!」

I decided not to worry about that.

We walked back to the Inn afterwards where we eventually parted. I returned to the common room to rest, noting that there were two new occupants sharing the inexpensive room with me. They were a couple somewhere in their early to mid twenties, and I could already tell that it was going to be a long night.

I kept my personal effects close to me as I laid down on the hay bed, and replayed the memories of Tae I firmly captured in my mind back in the place she called her secret spot.

When it came time for dinner, she came to let us all know.

Tae was taken up with having to help out with the patrons who came to eat at night, and only had time to bring me the evening’s fare. A thick stew with mild herbs and salt boasting a lot more vegetables than yesterday’s soup, but still only a little meat. The bread was also freshly baked as well, and it went down the hatch with no effort at all.

I think I may have even gotten some preferential treatment!

Sadly, I couldn’t do more than wave to her as I saw myself out and back to the commons. I took off my boots and nothing else, draping my cloak over my body and some of my things, keeping my sword hidden within quick reach, just in case. My eyes were closed and my breathing steady.

When the couple who was sharing the room seemed to believe I was asleep, well, couples do as couples do. I appreciated them keeping things as quiet as they could.

Morning came and they were gone. None of my things went missing as I hoped, and Tae had come to shake me awake for breakfast, which was the same as yesterday.

「Th’Crest Witch’ll be comin’ in ta’ the village ‘round midday. Are yah gon’ leave after gettin’ yer crest?」

「I’ll probably have to restock on some travel rations first before I leave, but that’s the plan.」

「Ah see. Ahs can maybe sneak yah some extra bread if yah’d like?」

「It’s not necessary. I don’t want you to get in trouble for my sake. I’d rather you get that Baker’s crest you want instead of getting punished by the Gods’ with a Thief’s crest or something.」

「Thar’s a Thief crest?」

I shrugged. I only meant it as a joke. If there was one, it was news to me. I got up and collected everything before patting her on the head.

「I might not have known you long, but I’m sure you’re a good woman, Tae.」

She smiled at me, then took my hand, perhaps for the last time and escorted me to the mess hall inside the inn for breakfast. There were already many people loitering about the village square. According to the Innkeeper, they were the family of some of the soon-to-be adults that would be getting their crests revealed today.

I enjoyed another breakfast of bacon and spicy herbed eggs cooked in the prior’s grease. It might not have been healthy, but it sure shuckin’ tasted good… as Tae might have put it.

Now, there were about ten children who had gathered in the village square, not counting Tae and myself. Almost every child here was fifteen years of age as I was, though it’s possible one or two were sixteen, but unlikely. Peasants didn’t have birthdays like nobles did. Newborn babies weren’t even considered people really until they safely passed their first year of life, such was the commonplace circumstance of infant mortality and disease in remote villages like this one and the one I called home.

When the green moon appeared in the night sky during the first month of each year, the only time it happened to turn green, that marked the day a commoner increased in age.

The 『Crest Witch』 pilgrimaging this year wasn’t the same one who came to my village when Celina had her crest revealed. That one was an old crone, while this one was a young woman. She couldn’t have been much older than I was. She wore long white robes and had silver hair that came down only far enough for the ends to touch her shoulders.

One-by-one, us soon-to-be adults lined up and went before the 『Crest Witch』 and she revealed our crests. It was done through magic that was known only to them, the procedure aided by a tray they wore around their neck that had two small bowls. One of a viscous orange substance, and one of a silvery ashen powder. The 『Crest Witch』 would dip the thumb of one hand into the orange oil-like substance and smear it on the forehead just above the bridge of the nose and brow-line, and then she would dip the other thumb into the silvery powder and press it firmly onto the center of the freshly oiled forehead.

When she removed her thumb, the silvery powder would move itself to the appropriate place, as if drawn by some divine design and would take shape into the crest one would wear for the rest of their life. In all my life in the village, I had never seen anyone else with a crest similar to my mother’s, and only Garvil had a crest similar to my sister’s. But the crests these children walked away with were far more recognizable.

『Woodcutter』, 『Hunter』,『Miller』, 『Farmer』,『Weaver』… All crests one would expect the children of villagers, who have been born from and to villagers for generations to have.

The lucky boy before me had 『Merchant』 revealed as his crest, and I had felt secretly happy for him. Being a 『Merchant』 meant he would most likely never starve a day in his life from now on. He might even open a shop in the village, or he might one day travel from place to place trading on a wagon.

If I had only been born sooner and had a similar crest, none of what happened to Celina would have happened.

When it was my turn after the boy, the first thing I noticed about the silver-haired witch was that her fingers showed no traces of the orange oil or silvery powder on them, yet I was sure she hadn’t had the chance to wipe them, for there was no towel she had used, nor any stains on her clothes.

I stood before her confidently, ready for the Gods’ judgment.

Looking at her forehead, the crest she had was that of a 『ⓦ』

Her right hand digit dipped deeply into the orange goo and she pressed her thumb above my right eye sliding it to the left over my other eye before removing it. Then her left hand repeated the process with the silvery powder. When her silver-dusted thumb pressed firmly against the center of my forehead, it felt like a burst of electricity shot into my mind directly.

My forehead had tingled for what felt like a good long while, though I knew it was only seconds as it was for all the children before me who underwent this same process. When it was done, the 『Crest Witch』 was staring at me with gaping eyes.

She immediately dropped to her knees before me.

I had no idea what was going on.

「What’s wrong?」 I asked her nervously.

Did my crest reveal that I was some kind of serial killer or something and she was begging for her life?

I guess I really was no good down to the bone.

「Please, stand up. Tell me what’s wrong.」

She lifted her head cautiously.

「My Liege! This humble one pays allegiance to the one who bears the『Crest of the King』.」

Crest… of the… King?

「Please get up, miss. I think you’re scaring the other villagers who came to have their crests revealed.」

What the hell is the Crest of the King?

「As you command, Milord.」

She quickly rose and snapped her fingers.

The 『Crest Witch』 did not travel alone on her pilgrimage. There was also a small retinue of guards with her. Two of the guards quickly came over at her snap and with a nod from her, knelt before me.

「Sire!」 they both said while closing their fist and crossing their arm across their chest in some kind of salutation.

By now there were more than a few villagers looking on at the spectacle.

「To think I would find Milord so soon into my pilgrimage!」

The 『Crest Witch』 had a look of sublime happiness on her face.

「Taybor, Gheel. Go rent the best room at the inn at once. If someone has already purchased it, buy them out!」

Hah!」 They responded and quickly dashed away.

「Milord, there is much we need to discuss, will you please head over to the inn where we can talk further?」

I had no reason to refuse, if anything it would take me out of the eyes of everyone present here. I also had quite a few questions for her, the most obvious being why the hell I have something called the Crest of the King. Should a peasant like me even have something like that?

「Is it related to the…」 I pointed up at my forehead.

「It most certainly is.」 she confirmed.

I readily agreed, and as the Inn was pretty much only a few feet away, one of the guards hastily returned to inform the 『Crest Witch』 that they had done as she asked. I was escorted by the guard named Taybor right back to the inn I had been staying at for the last couple of days.

This time, however, I was ushered into the much more spacious top floor. It had a huge bed, a wooden basin for taking a bath, and wooden drawers for storing clothes in. Not that I had anything extra to store. I only had the clothes on my back, my sword, and a few items for survival in the small pack I carried, like a canteen and a couple remaining pieces of jerky I wasn’t too keen on eating if I didn’t need to.

It must not have taken much longer to reveal the crests of those who went after me, because the 『Crest Witch』 had entered my room after knocking for a moment. She immediately moved a chair and placed it behind me for me to sit on while facing the bed. I obliged since I thought it would make things easier for her if I did.

「May I be seated, Milord?」

「Please.」 I replied.

She took a seat on the bed barely two feet away from where I was sitting.

「I apologize if I startled you earlier. It would have been a grave discourtesy to not acknowledge the King at the moment of revelation.」

「You mean when the crest appeared on my forehead?」

「Yes, Milord.」

「You did what you felt you had to do, I guess. Can you tell me exactly what having this crest means? You keep calling me Milord, but I’m only a peasant.」

「Nonsense! The crest you have signifies your absolute legitimacy by the Gods as a man worthy of being a King! Rather than a King who inherits a throne through bloodline, yours is direct proof of your lordly caliber!」

「Lordly… what?」

「Lordly caliber. Crests are manifestations of the Gods’ will, to bring out and enhance the natural talent of the person they are given to. In the case of Milord, to have the Crest of the King means you are a King among kings! You are someone the Gods’ themselves have acknowledged as being worthy of the title and status of King!」

「Even though I am a peasant?」

「Milord. The moment your crest was revealed, you ceased to be a peasant. You are royalty, standing above even the nobility!」

That was a lot to take in. It certainly didn’t seem real. I should have received the crest of a swordsman or knight, even a guard… but… King?

「How can I be a King? I have no Kingdom to rule.」

「That is a trifle for the moment, Milord. To have a King who bears the Crest of the King is an honor! There are plenty of lands in need of a king, and you merely need only choose where you would like to rule.」

「Huh?」

「Ah, excuse me, that’s not entirely correct. The Temple will need to legitimize your crest firsthand, of course. But after that, any kingdom which isn’t currently ruled by a king or any lands which you may wish to claim as your demesne and become the king of by divine rule, will be fully backed and endorsed by the Temple.」

「So you’re saying I can just… pick a kingdom as long as it’s not one already being ruled by someone, or just found my own?」

「That is correct.」

「It’s a bit much to accept all at once. Telling me I’m a king now when barely an hour ago I had been a peasant all of my life.」

「All I can say is that It must be the Gods’ will.」

I didn’t place much faith in whatever Gods she held in such esteem, and if anything what she was saying felt like a scam of some kind. But there were certainly things lacking in my education. I mean, I didn’t even know what kind of crest my own mother had, and Celina had a rare crest. Was it really possible?

「Crest Witch. Can I ask you about a certain crest?」

「My name is Agatha. I will be happy to answer any questions Milord may have.」

I figured I would never find a better chance than to ask Agatha right now, so I described the crest on my mother’s forehead. It had something that looked like a hat on the top, two curved lines arching outward, and a square with legs in between the lines below the hat.

「Milord. What you are describing is the crest of the Imperial Concubine.」

「What’s that?」

「You may think of them as women with the specific task of pleasing Milord in the role of a lover or companion. Their skills in the bedroom are without comparison.」

「Wait. You’re saying they are like… um… royal prostitutes?」

「Heaven forbid! Having such a crest would deign them on par with the nobility! Though it is rare to find one among the commoners, it’s not all that uncommon for some noble families to produce a daughter with that crest and offer her to their king.」

「When you say offer…?」

「I mean in the capacity that they should bear you an heir. Of course the heir of an Imperial Concubine is below that of a Queen, so even if a child should be born from one first, any children born from a Queen married to you would immediately be set ahead of them in the line of succession.」

I rubbed my head. This was already way too complicated.

「Does Milord know of someone with this crest?」

I waved my hand.

「It’s not important. I had seen it before and was curious as I didn’t know what it was, nor did anyone else. Anyway, you said my crest needed to be legitimized?」

「Yes. While I don’t have any doubts that it is the Crest of the King, it is temple procedure that your crest be witnessed and confirmed by no less than three of the high-clergy–temple officials of upper ranking–before an official proclamation can be made. Once that happens, it is only a matter of course of establishing your rule.」

「I take it, I’ll be beholden to the Temple for their help in legitimizing my crest, then?」

「No. While it would be beneficial to maintain amicable bonds with a King, it’s not mandatory. The Temple takes the stance of serving the will of the Gods before the will of the King.」

「Sounds a bit convenient. But I’m not one for making needless enemies, especially out of the Temple.」

「You wish to be on amicable terms with the temple, Milord?」

「At the very least I would like to not be on antagonistic terms.」

「I am relieved to hear you say so.」

Agatha put a hand over her chest, a nice full chest even hidden behind her robe, and sighed peacefully.

「Milord, the nearest country with a Temple able to legitimize you is where I have just begun my pilgrimage from. Usually a 『Crest Witch』 such as myself would continue onward to the next location in our path, but in such cases as we find someone revealed to possess the 『Crest of the Saint』, 『Crest of the Hero』, or 『Crest of the Sage』, of course including your 『Crest of the King』, we have been instructed to abandon our pilgrimage at once and return with said person immediately. Therefore, may I please ask Milord’s permission to accompany us at once to the Temple?」

「Like… now?」 I inquired of her insistence on hurrying.

「Sorry, Milord.」 She panicked slightly. 「The immediacy of which I meant would be to depart from this village tomorrow morning.」

「Yeah, that would be fine with me.」

「Thank you, Milord.」

She bowed lightly, breathing another sigh of relief.

「You said the nearest country. By chance is that Veruni Kingdom?」

「That is correct. We will return to the Temple at Veruni and either I will return to my pilgrimage afterwards, or another 『Crest Witch』 will be sent to continue on from where I left off.」

「Agatha, does the temple usually have some kind of person that acts as a liaison with the king?」

「There are times when that is the case, Milord. Not all kings wish to associate with the temple, however.」

「Can it be somebody I choose?」

「Milord? I imagine as long as they belong to the clergy, that shouldn’t be an issue.」

「Then, if it’s not too much trouble, and since you seem easy enough for me to talk with, and seeing as how I don’t want to be on unfriendly terms with the temple who are going to be responsible for legitimizing my crest and all, could it be you?」

「P-pardon? Milord wishes for me to be his liaison to the Temple?」

「Yes. If that’s alright with you?」

「A-are you c-certain, M-milord? I’ve only recently risen from a novitiate to an acolyte! This is only my second pilgrimage!」

「You are knowledgeable about crests, right?」

「Yes, Milord. Ever since my crest was revealed five years ago and I entered the Temple, my primary education has been to identify all known crests.」

「Oh, are you twenty years old?」

「Yes, Milord.」

It was a bit surprising. She looked younger, but also carried herself as someone a bit older. I snapped my fingers when I thought of something important by thinking about her age.

「I’m currently fifteen as you know. Is my age going to be a problem or a negative factor in being backed by the temple?」

「I think the matter of age would only apply to someone inheriting the throne by blood rather than by divine appointment. As you hold the Crest of the King, there should be no problem with you establishing your rule as soon as possible. Milord is an adult now…」

That made things a lot easier.

「Any recommendations for where I should go?」

「Is Milord asking me what lands I suggest he become king of?」

「You are free to interpret it that way. Obviously if this is real and I’m somehow going to be king of someplace, I’d like it to be where I’m able to gain a firm foothold from the start. That includes having support from the temple, who I do not wish to be on bad terms with.」

「I’m sorry Milord, I don’t know if I’m qualified to answer that. However, if you entrust me to deliver you a proper answer, I’d like to first discuss it with people I trust back at Veruni Temple.」

「That’s fine with me. I’d appreciate your advice at that time.」

「I will endeavor so as to not disappoint you, Milord.」

「Alright. It will be nice to work with you now and into the future, Agatha.」

I extended my hand in an effort for us to shake hands. Instead she got off the bed and onto her knees, taking my hand and kissing the back of it.

I guess they don’t do handshakes at the temple?

「Are there any other questions this Agatha can answer for Milord?」

My stomach growled. Not because I was hungry, but because of those eggs cooked in bacon grease I ate earlier.

「Right. I shall take care of it at once!」 Agatha proclaimed, before excusing herself.

She also let me know if I needed anything else before she returned, Taybor the guard was stationed outside the door and would execute my will… whatever it might be.

While I wasn’t on some kind of crazy power trip high at the moment, the idea of laying down on a soft bed over fresh hay was much more appealing to my newly established royal circumstance.

Pomf~

Not even the bed I grew up with at home was as comfortable to lay on as this one was.

Now that I was alone again, my thoughts turned inwardly at my mother, who from what Agatha had said about her crest, was some kind of noble babymaker? I admit the whole concept of what an Imperial Concubine was didn’t fully register to me, but was my mother that kind of important person? It was difficult to believe.

If that was the case, however, who was my father? Why would my mother debase herself with someone the likes of Garvil the Apothecary?

I had far more questions than answers.

There was a light rapping at the door a while later. It opened with a creak until the head of the guard, Taybor, briefly poked in.

「Excuse me, Sire. Lady Tannimeade has come to see you.」

「Lady Tannimeade?」 I asked, not knowing who that was.

「Yes, Sire. She’s a novitiate with the temple who is traveling with us. Will you allow her to enter?」

「Ah, if she’s part of your group, then that will be fine, Sir Taybor.」

「Sir Taybor? Milord, you need only call me Taybor. I’m not of the nobility.」

「Is that right? Then, Taybor, if you will, please send her in.」

「At once, Milord!」

The door opened wide and a young blonde haired beauty with her hair in a long thickly woven braid draped over the front of her white dress came in pushing a cart full of delicious looking food and drink.

「Milord.」 She curtseyed, 「I am Lady Tannimeade. If it pleases you, for the duration of your stay here and on our return to Veruni Kingdom, I will be in charge of serving you.」

Not going to lie, she was beautiful. Not as beautiful as my sister, but that’s an impossible standard to meet.

「If it is not an inconvenience to you, I will appreciate you doing so.」

She smiled at me.

「You already sound like a king, Milord.」

Somehow I could already tell this was the case. While I conversed with Agatha earlier, I felt at times there was a certain manner in which I should talk to someone, and that manner was never for me to appear as if I was beneath anyone.

It was strange, but if it was the mannerism of a king, then who was I to argue? I mean, even if it wasn’t, who would dare argue with a king?

I still found the sudden situation of me being declared a king by Agatha kind of unreal, but that may change in time if it turns out to be the case.

「If that is all, I will return when you are done eating.」

「Wait.」

I was sitting on the bed and looked up at Lady Tannimeade.

「If Milord is worried about the food being poisoned, I can assure you that both Agatha and myself supervised the entire process.」

「That’s not it. While I was enjoying my privacy, I would prefer to have some company.」

「Milord is inviting me to dine with him?」

「Yes.」

「Then I will graciously accept your offer.」

She pushed the food cart in front of me so I didn’t need to adjust myself while sitting on the bed, and then moved the chair I was sitting on earlier and sat herself on the other side of the cart.

「I trust you will excuse me if my manners are lacking.」

She nodded.

「Of course, Milord.」

There was quite a lot of food on the cart, and I can think of very few times there was ever this much served at any time when I lived together at home with my mother and sister. Sausages, beef, cheese, boiled potatoes and carrots, some kind of gravy. The smell was heavenly. Did Tae go all out, or was this made by someone else?

Lady Tannimeade took the initiative and filled a plate for me with various things, then offered it to me politely. I graciously took it, and found I had no issues using the fork and knife that was also provided.

「I gather from your title of Lady, that you are most likely a noble?」

「Barely, Milord. I am the third daughter of the Tannimeade Barony of Veruni.」

「Barony?」

「Barons are among the lowest rank of landholding nobles, Milord. We are merely a step above single-generational Knights.」

「I see. Thank you for explaining. May I ask what brings a noblewoman such as yourself out on a pilgrimage with Agatha?」

「My crest, Milord, is that of the Linguist.」

「Linguist?」

「It enables me to rapidly learn and converse in any language.」

「That sounds incredibly useful.」

「It is not uncommon for this crest to be found amongst the nobility.」

「So you’ve come on the pilgrimage to help in the capacity of a… translator?」

「It is as you say, though not entirely. As I’m the third daughter of a Baron, there is nothing I stand to inherit unless I am fortunate to marry into a better family. I had decided rather than to waste my life waiting for an opportunity that may not come, joining the temple and putting my crest to use for them may be a better use of it. Also, they pay fairly well.」

「And how many languages can you converse in, if I may ask?」

「Eight, Milord.」

「Impressive.」

「Though I thank you for the compliment, it’s hardly the case. There are some with the crest who speak upwards of twenty.」

Twenty? Were there even twenty languages being used between the three nearby kingdoms?

「Would you like me to list them?」

I shook my head.

「I doubt I would know any besides the common language we are speaking now. But I could certainly see how useful you’d be.」

「Useful, Milord?」

「Ah, Agatha was telling me of some things I need to do once we arrive in Veruni Kingdom. It occurs to me that if there are people in Veruni who don’t speak the common language I do, that it might be troublesome for me.」

「Milord need not worry. While there is a dialect unique to Veruni, it is rarely if ever spoken these days. It would be more common to find old books written in it.」

「All the more reason I might find myself troubled.」

The way Lady Tannimeade ate was elegant, and though I felt I was eating in a somewhat clumsy manner, I could feel my own hands wishing to cut the food into appropriate sized bites before my fork brought it to my lips. It was a different feeling of knowing something that differed from the experiences I would briefly witness from the tornado of memories in my mind.

「You eat quite gracefully, Lady Tannimeade.」

「I have had many years of etiquette lessons from a young age, Milord.」

「How well would you say your education is, compared to the other nobles?」

「Well enough to have graduated from the Academy. I went there from the age of thirteen, and graduated at seventeen.」

「May I ask of your age?」

「I am still seventeen, Milord. My birthday is before the summer solstice. Graduation was at the end of summer for those in their final year. It’s been nearly half a year already since I have left the Academy.」

Right, she’s a noble. Nobles have birthdays, while commoners do not. How could I have forgotten that?

「My apologies.」

「I have taken no offense that Milord needs to apologize for.」

「Was it not rude to ask a Lady her age?」

I tried to smile in order to fend off the awkwardness of not exhibiting the most basic knowledge even a peasant knew.

「Perhaps in being so direct it may be construed as such. Usually there is a softer approach if one is curious about asking a Lady’s age.」

「Do enlighten me.」

Lady Tannimeade took the time to offer me advice on how to navigate the topic of age by speaking with complements and intentionally vague wording. She called such methods of extracting someone’s age without asking them directly, conversational arithmetic. I couldn’t help but think she was both clever and capable.

「Milord?」

「If I am made king of some country, would you like to be in my employ?」

「Pardon?」

「Though I feel like I’m robbing the temple of someone extremely valuable, I think the one thing this crest of mine is surely telling me already is that I would be a fool not to secure worthy personnel such as yourself.」

「Milord wishes to hire me…?」

「Should I happen to come into a kingdom, I would.」

「I, quite frankly, don’t know what to say.」

「You are free to take as long as you’d like to consider it, or decline it outright. But I think I would lose out by not having you near to me in some kind of advisory position.」

「Near to you?」

I nodded.

Her face flushed red.

「I’m sorry Milord, I must be misconstruing something. I’m merely the third daughter of a baron, and you are a king.」

「Is that a problem? Am I not allowed to select capable people from the nobility?」

「Not at all! Certainly as a king you have every right to do so, though it would certainly be a breach of decorum to take a woman who is already married…」

What is she talking about? Married women can’t hold official government offices? If that’s the case, that would be some of the first legislation I personally change. While I don’t necessarily believe a woman is as good as a man at every single thing, I do acknowledge that there are plenty of things that they certainly excel at over a man, and every effort should be put into cultivating those skills for the betterment of whatever kingdom I rule over.

Was this an influence from the other me? The one who lived in that world of memories?

A series of strange symbols floated in my mind and I felt like I understood something profound that I always knew, yet felt missing.

I shook my head for a moment before slapping my cheeks.

「Are you alright, Milord?」

「Ah, Yes. I think I’ve finished eating. Thank you for spending your precious time with me, Lady Tannimeade.」

She, who had long since finished her plate of food, stood up from her chair and curtsied again.

「It was my pleasure to accept your invitation, Milord. Please rest well for now, Agatha will come to meet with you later.」

Another curtsy was given before she took the food cart with her out of the bedroom. I laid back down on the bed, with a full stomach the likes of which I couldn’t remember in the longest time.

With the revelation of my crest, it felt like there was a conflict with the small tornado full of memories. Thoughts and considerations as ephemeral as mist, that even if I tried, I couldn’t reach out and pluck were ever present now behind my eyes. I was certain that the strange symbols I saw a few moments ago came from one of those memories.

It had to do with a bizarrely written language.

And, as crude as it was, my royal wand was poking up from my trousers. Lady Tannimeade was certainly beautiful, and only two years older than myself. Was she also like my sister and would only ever think of me as a little brother? Somehow, the thought made me sad. She seemed quite intelligent, and that only amplified her beauty to me.

Though I had the Crest of the King, I was a long way from actually being one.

I closed my eyes while relaxing all sprawled out on the bed, but a full stomach and a soft bed were able to overpower me quicking into an unintentional, yet comfortable sleep.

A knock at the door later on brought more food along with Agatha again.

「Did you enjoy your rest, Milord?」

「Ah, yeah. This bed is probably the softest I’ve ever slept on.」

「Are you alright, Milord? Are you in need of… anything?」

She had a queer look on her face. When I followed her line of sight, it was to the tent still somehow going on in my trousers. How embarrassing!

「I’m fine, Agatha.」

「If you’d like, I can see if there is someone…」

「Please don’t tell me you’d consider using whatever funds your temple gave you for your pilgrimage for something like that.」

「...」

I sighed and rolled over.

「Lady Tannimeade, perchance?」

「If you had come earlier I might not be able to deny it, but this one just is a normal after-waking occurrence to a healthy fifteen year old man.」

「As you say, Milord.」

「Agatha.」

「Yes, Milord?」

「Can I ask you to call me by my name when we are alone?」

「Your name, Milord?」

「Silan. My name is Silan.」

「Certainly, Milord Silan.」

I sighed into my pillow.

「Drop the Milord. Just Silan.」

「...S-silan.」

「Thank you, Agatha.」

「Yes, well, I have brought you something to eat for dinner. Taybor is resting and Gheel has taken over watch outside of your room.」

「Right.」

「Just to keep you informed, our contingent has been resupplied and we will be ready to leave in the morning at first light, unless you wish to sleep later.」

「I think I’ve slept enough as it is.」

「Very well. Shall I disturb you in the morning with breakfast shortly before we are ready to leave?」

「Please do.」

「Are you certain you don’t have any extra needs?」

「Agatha… please leave me with a shred of dignity.」

「Ah… A-as you wish, Milord. Good night, Milor–Silan!」

She quickly vacated the room.

I sat on the bed upright and meditated this time, trying to reach into the storm of memories that existed in my mind. I hadn’t made any progress in grasping any of them, and my concentration was shot when two quiet raps came at my door before it opened and closed on its own.

Though it was dark in the room, there was a lamp on the table that provided enough light for me to see what was obviously a peasant girl standing in my room just a few steps from the door. I was under the impression the guard Agatha left to guard my room wouldn’t be letting anyone in, but when the girl who was dressed in not her usual clothes but a proper brown dress with a tan sash tied around the waist and thin straps of fabric over her shoulders, I knew Agatha had no intention of leaving me with the dignity I asked for.

「So’s. Yer th’Kang now, ain’cha?」

Tae. She had entered my room with a cart full of food.

「That’s… what they’re telling me.」

「Ma an’ that lady what gave us all th’Crest both say’d I should be makin’ myself up ‘ere fer ya.」

Good god. They sent this sweet and innocent girl up here for me to devour along with the food? I mean, Tae wasn’t a girl per se anymore, as she had the crest on her forehead revealed the same as me now, so technically she was an adult woman according to society. But still… she had shown her naivete and defenselessness to me already. How… could I sully her?

「Did they mention anything about hugging and kissing me?」

Her face lit up and she nodded.

「Yas. Ma say’d yah might fancy me lots if’n ah climbed inta’ yah bed.」

Agatha… I’m disappointed in you for letting this happen.

「Then I’ll leave the decision to you. If you aren’t sure you want to do this, you can leave now. I won’t be upset or hold anything against you.」

「An’ if’n ah do?」

「Now that we have crests, we’re both men and women and not children anymore. So we’d be doing things that only adults should do at night together in a bed.」

「Ah’ve seen Ma and Pa huggin’ an’ kissin’ each other once‘r twice a’fore when ah came’d in their room by mistake at night. They’d always be right happy th’next mornin’. Yer talkin’ ‘bout tha’ kind o’stuff, ain’cha? Kind o’like what we’s done at mah secret spot…?」

「Tae. The hugging and kissing would be much different than what we did in your secret spot.」

「D’yah fancy me at all, Mister Silan?」

「I would be lying if I said I didn’t.」

「Ahs tol’ yah that ah ain’t never fancied nobody a’fore. A’course ah ain’t ever met’cha before yah came ta’ our Inn. An’ why ah likes holdin’ yer hand s’much fer some reason…」

She walked over to my bed where I was sitting up. She took my hand for a moment before pressing it against her left breast. I could feel her heart beating wildly under her slim frame.

I knew only one thing for certain at this moment.

It was not only unkingly, but absolutely unmanly not to invite her into my bed tonight.

「Tae…」

I reached my free hand around her body just under her butt and hefted her up into my lap so she straddled me. The hand of mine she held against her chest began to softly squeeze her soft half-an-orange sized breast while my other hand caressed her cheek with my palm, my thumb touching her lip, which she kissed as she held it as well.

Perhaps an instinctual thing for a woman and a man with zero distance, together in a room at night. I don’t know for sure, because this is the first time for me as well, even though I knew good and well about the birds and the bees. But I don’t think there was anything that was going to stop the momentum we had right now.

Her hands looped themselves around my neck and my hands groped at her chest while our lips joined together. Her soft lips against mine at first, both of us eager to steal superficial kisses from each other until it became more aggressive, fueled by the curiosity of our burgeoning libidos. Closed lips opened wide with desire and the warmth and welcome strangeness of our tongues wishing to invade and explore each other’s mouth’s first, as if it was some precursor to an expedition that would go much deeper and further later on if the results were good.

We kissed and kissed and kissed some more. To the point where our mouths were considering drying out. Her hands had already reached down to lift up in a single motion over her body and head the brown dress she wore, wishing to feel my hands kneading her breasts the same way hers did to the bread dough she loved to bake. She had also undone my shirt from the front, revealing my bare chest which she rubbed with her hands, not even understanding why.

She was the one to push me down first, her lips kissing my neck at first until she was kissing my pectorals and caressing my body as much as I wanted to do to her. In a moment of confusion, perhaps a small mercy for us both with her not knowing the next step because the both of us still had clothes covering up that half of us, I rolled her over and pinned her down, repeating to her body what she had done to mine.

I couldn’t help but wonder if she was beginning to understand the reasons adults fancied each other and wanted to kiss and hug each other as they rolled in the hay–or bed–together.

As I sucked on her breast while teasing her nipple with my tongue, her hand slipped down to our lower halves, not to grasp at my blunt blade, but to find purchase inside her own panties as it slid within to an entirely different secret spot.

「Ah feels all tangly down ‘ere, Mister Silan.」

「It’s fine to touch yourself there, Tae. If it makes you feel good.」

As if being told so was all she needed, I felt the back of her hand against my crotch as we were pressed together and she used her hands for a bit of self-spelunking. She moaned softly as she did, her lower lip trembling as she did. I quickly snatched it up with my own as I abandoned her breasts for a moment, but continued to caress her thin and soft body.

All of our kisses had already begun to leave red marks on each other’s body. My own pants had slipped off, probably by my own volition though I don’t exactly remember at what point I had allowed it. Her hand slowly retreated as my manhood, restrained only by my own undergarments, pressed firmly against her similar situation.

Fabric against fabric, our bits behind them rubbed against each other. I had both of her hands pinned over her head, with my own, all of our fingers interlocked with each other. I couldn’t help but bite lightly at her neck as my lower half pressed hard and thrusted against hers until she began to whimper lightly and whispered to me of her desire for another kiss.

We, both inexperienced, melted into our final kiss as our lower halves experienced the first release of pleasure with each other. Her undergarments were stained with her feminine desires, her strong legs wrapping themselves around my butt as the final thrusts stained both of our undergarments as my seed was no longer able to remain restrained. Moans escaped our lips into each other’s mouths as we released our youthful passions individually, until I collapsed softly onto her body, my head resting in the valley between her breasts as her chest heaved up and down, sweat coating the exposed halves of our bodies fully.

「Mister Silan…」

Her hands stroked my back automatically.

「Yes, Tae?」

「Was what we jes’ done… fancyin’ each other?」

「It was.」

「Ah… didn’ do anythin’ wrong, did ah?」

「Not at all. Did you enjoy it?」

「Yas. Weren’t nothing like ah expected, but it done felt miles better’n dippin’ mah feet in the water.」

She sighed sweetly.

「Yah ever done’d fancyin’ another woman a’fore?」

「You’re the first and only, Tae.」

She put a little effort into squeezing me tightly with all four of her limbs.

「Ah ain’t know why, but hearin’ yah say so’s makin’ me feel mighty happy right now. Yah feelin’ peckish like ah am, Mister Silan?」

「You’re asking if I’m hungry? Yes, I guess so. I think I’m more thirsty than anything…」

I rolled off of Tae who immediately got up and went to the food card she had brought with her when she came to my room. There was a large pitcher of juice to which she poured me a glass first and brought it over before doing the same for herself, downing it in one go, and then making us some plates and bowls of food.

「Ah ain’t cooked it all meself, but I hopes yah enjoys it.」

Compared to how I ate as a peasant in my hometown, this was nothing less than a feast fit for a king. We ate, drank, and felt merry simply being next to each other. After we stuffed ourselves, we returned to the spacious bed and laid down together. I held her protectively from behind and she never let go of my hand. It was very late at night now and we were both feeling groggy from everything that happened between us and full bellies.

We had tried to make some light talk, but we weren’t really coherent anymore.

The last thing I remember is asking her what crest she eventually received, since I hadn’t even thought to ask her while we experienced our first burning youth together. I never got an answer, or if I did, it was after my eyes closed and I had fallen asleep.

When the morning came, Tae was nowhere to be found. I had woken up shortly before Agatha rapped on the door and entered. There was already a cart full of breakfast, and I noticed that it seemed to have been eaten from already. Furthermore, there was also a plate that had been prepared for me, so Tae had to have only left a short while earlier since the food was still somewhat warm.

I can only think that she was afraid to say good-bye to me.

She was a good girl. I’m sure the man she chooses in the end will be lucky beyond compare, since she still had her body’s treasure to give him.

「We’ll be waiting for you downstairs when Milord is ready.」

「I’ll dress and eat quickly. Do you want anything to eat, Agatha?」

「We’ve already eaten, Milord. If you’ll excuse me…」

Agatha left.

I ate my plate quickly, noting it didn’t taste nearly as good as the breakfast Tae served me in the previous days of my stay here. Afterwards, I joined Agatha and the others downstairs when it was time to go. I got a bright smile from Tae’s mother, the Innkeeper, which was enough to let me know I needed to hightail it the shuck out of this village before the truth came to light that we didn’t go all the way.

Hopping into the wagon that Agatha and Lady Tannimeade also rode in which was parked outside, we headed back East towards Veruni Kingdom, with our destination being the Temple.

It was only once we cleared Valburgia village that I gave Agatha a ruthlessly stern lecture on leaving me some dignity. Her apology was insincere, since the marks on my neck left behind by Tae prevented any dignity from being returned.

My only comfort for the first leg of the journey on my Royal Road was to see a smile on Lady Tannimeade’s face out of the corner of my eyes after I explained what really happened last night.

I was a perfect gentleman and a stand up guy…

…who probably broke some poor girl’s heart already.

What a way to start my reign as king!

10