Chapter 2
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘Hi, my name is Bobby, but I prefer to go by Bob. I am a programmer at Gen Zero Officina and I will be working with you on human development,’ Bobby typed into the bulky computer. ‘Its only day one of the first week of development, but hopefully you will live up to our expectations.’ He leaned back into his office chair, waiting for the response. There was none, “Right right right, I need to ask a question… where to start?” Bobby asked aloud. Bobby smirked as he typed ‘where to start?’ into the computer.

No response. Bobby sighed, he really didn’t want to be here doing work a program can do, but a contract is a contract. The paycheck was too outrageous to deny. ‘Do you know why you exist?’ he typed into the computer. After a moment, the program spat out a response, ‘to develop the soul.’ Crude, but progress, well technically progress. “Yes, to develop a soul,” Bobby nodded as he typed. ‘How does that make you feel?’

‘I can’t feel,’ the screen displayed. Bobby sighed, feeling a headache coming. Years ago, when programming was developing, a woman was asked to type into a computer, and the program would reply with a question. The lady would respond, and the computer would ask again. And so, the first sign of non-human ‘life’ was revealed to the world. And now, it was Bobby’s turn to play robot. Ask questions, and the program respond, and develop a personality and therefore a ‘soul,’ whatever that means. ‘As for what an American corporate company needs an artificial soul for, only God knows,’ Bobby thought. “Off-topic, off-topic, off-topic,” Bobby said, reeling his attention back onto his job.

‘Do you want a soul?’ Bobby typed. Some people say its cruel to have children since the children are born against their will. Bobby can only thank God that Darwinism will ‘help develop’ that notion.

‘I can’t have a soul.’

‘Does that answer the question?’

‘No, no it does not.’

‘Do you want a soul?’

The program did not respond. ‘Is that a form of progress?’ Bobby typed. No response. He raised his eyebrow, “Just what is happening,” he muttered as he clicked a few things and opened the code. He quickly scanned the program displayed on the screen. It was just a bug in the system. “Thank God,” Bobby said, drawing a cross on his chest. He spent the rest of his working hours fixing the bug and ran a quick test, confirming the program was ready for tomorrow. He set the computer to sleep as he called his boss and told him about the progress.

When the call was over, he leaned back into his chair and looked around the plain room. White walls, a door, desk, chair, and a bulky computer; a very minimalist room all things considered. Bobby spaced out for an unknown amount of time, only to be disturbed by a call from Amanda, which he quickly picked up.

“Hey, I am at the restaurant, where are you?” The soft feminine voice was out tuned by the loud background noise.

“I am just around the corner,” Bobby responded, as he got up from his chair and walked to the door in his room and opened it. Before he noticed it, he was already in the restaurant, as he walked out of the kitchen door. He looked around looking for Amanda, as people phased in and out of his vision. He did hear Amanda speaking, but it was soon overwhelmed by a large screeching sound as he got close to her. Amanda quickly withdrew her phone from her ear and hung up. “Hey,” he said as he walked around the table she was sitting at and took a seat.

“Dear fucking Christ, you scared me,” she said, controlling her breath. “I already ordered fries as an appetizer.” She said, sprinkling more salt onto her greasy fries. “I didn’t see you walk out the front door as you came in, were you in the bathroom?”

“Yeah, I just came from work,” he said, glaring at his greasy fries. “I really don’t like this junk,” He said pushing them towards Amanda.  

“More for me then,” she said using a fork to eat her fries.

Bobby raised his eyebrow, “Are you okay?”

“Ppffftt, I should be asking you that,” she said, munching on her fries. “I just got my acrylics done, and I don’t want to ruin them.” She stretched her fingers out, “I got them in a deep purple this time, not my vibe, but I think it could be nice with this one dress I just brought the other day.” She placed her hands on the table, “but, yeah, how are you? How is the new job?”

“Its good,” he said, waving a waiter over. “I can’t help but feel that it’s pointless, the only reason I got the job is because I am human, and no other reason.” Bobby ordered a Hawaiian Burger.

“Hmm, I get that, but Bobby,” she said pointing to the flambe rips, and thanked the waiter, “there is no such thing as ‘just a human’ we are all different in one way or another,” she said smiling. “But, yeah, you seem fine and that’s good.” Amanda continued talking to the exhausted Bobby.

“Good night,” Bobby said leaving Amanda to her feast.

“Good night. Safe travels,” Amanda said. “Wait,” she said getting up, pulling out her purse, “do you need me to walk you home, like last time?”

“No, I should be fine.” Bobby said, shaking his head. Last time was a nightmare, but this time he knew this was reality, not a dream.

“Alright,” Amanda said, sitting down. “Call me if you need anything.”

Bobby nodded as he walked out of the restaurant’s open doors. He walked down the street, stepping on corpses mauled by dogs, and screeches that bounced around in his ears. He continued to walk down the street, muttering to himself, “I’m Bobby, the human and I am a schizo. I am Bobby….”

Bobby reached home safely that night.

 

As for what I want to do with this novel, I have no idea. But i will say that i wont be going back and making edits and changes, for now. I plan on uploading on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.  Any criticism is accepted and welcome. Enjoy your reading adventures.

0