Chapter 9
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bobby sighed, as he leaned back in his chair. Class was over. It was finally over. He saw all the other students leave immediately, as they rushed out like their lives depended on it. But Bobby continued to sit, leaving his notes sprawled all over the place. He could barely read what he wrote. His notes were just scribbles of madness. He could barely hear the lecture, let alone see what the professor was writing on the chalkboard. Bobby scribbled down whatever he could glimpse from the lecture.

It wasn’t a bad feeling. That everything was over, and everything was at rest. Well, except for the barely outlined figures trying to steal the chalk in the professor’s hand. He let the silence overtake him, granting him peace from whatever Professor Dave’s and Mr. Yu’s meeting was.

At least, that was what Bobby saw. Along with the professor walking over to him. ‘Oh, dear Christ,’ was all Bobby could think. ‘Do I have to deal with another student?’ He stared directly at him, ‘Or was it because I was late?’

The professor stood in front of him, stroking his beard. He plucked a piece of candy wrapped in plastic from his beard, “I would offer you one, but it’s against the college’s rules.” He said, unwrapping and eating it. “What can I help you with?”

“I don’t need help with anything,” Bobby replied in confusion.

“Well, that’s peculiar,” he said, continuing to stroke his beard. “Then, what did you think of the lecture?”

Bobby almost didn’t hear him over his obnoxious chewing, “It was okay, just tir-“ Bobby was cut off with a ‘pop’ from the professor’s bubble gum.

“Then, you are lucky it’s only two classes for first years,” he said, nodding. “Normally, there would be no classes during new student orientation.”

“There is a new student orientation?” Bobby asked, raising his eyebrow. ‘Something that would explain this whole mess would be great.’

“Well, it was unfortunate. But David wanted to overtake Florence.” He shook his head. He continued stroking his beard and took out another piece. “So, everything is in your pamphlet.” He blew another bubble and popped it, “Normally, I would guide the orientation. Students always love a good show of magic.”

‘Everything is in the pamphlet,’ Bobby thought. He looked at his notes and finally saw the pamphlet under that whole mess. He would have to look through it later.

“So, you want to see some magic?” The professor asked. Bobby looked up, and now noticed his full face. He had blue eyes, and gray hair, with a beard that reached his oversized belly.

It was either yes or no, and nothing simpler than that, but Bobby had a hard time thinking what to answer. Mainly because the loud chewing was obstructing his thoughts.

“Well, magic or no magic?” He said with a smile. But Bobby continued to stare at him while drooling. “Seems like you need help with something else,” he said sarcastically. “What’s your name?”

“I’m Bob,” Bobby automatically replied. And before he knew it, the professor was flipping through multiple sheets.

He called out his full name, “Bobby Walter Johansson, I don’t have you down for attendance,” he said looking up, “if you came late, you would just have to tell me, and I will give participation credit.” He put down his notes on Bobby’s desk, “same for the future, just tell me.”

“Yeah, I did come late,” he said with a sigh. “I talked to Professor Dave after my first class. And it was intense. But why bother with giving credit if there is only one exam?”

He nodded, “yes, class attendance is also helpful for next year. At that time, we will update the honor students’ list.” He picked another piece of gum and chewed it. “Anyway, you came late. Do you have the notes you missed?”

And Bobby could easily answer, “I don’t have any notes.”

He chuckled, “sarcastic, aren’t we?” He picked up Bobby’s notes and slowly flipped through them, becoming more and more aghast. “You don’t have any notes…” He looked at Bobby, “I have an office where I can explain the lecture. Most likely, there will be another class here later.”

Bobby was hesitant to answer again. The professor sighed, “Then, I can’t help you.” He shook his head, popping another bubble. “True, my classes don’t hold much value. But, at least I have office hours. Not many professors can say that.”  

Bobby started to gather his notes, and stuff them in his bag. ‘A laptop would be so much more convenient,’ he sighed. Then he remembered that Amanda said she’ll bring a laptop to him tonight. He immediately found his phone and texted Amanda to meet up tonight. And he left the lecture room, and soon found himself in his dorm room.

He came here this morning and dropped off his suitcase, and immediately rushed to find Professor Dave’s classroom. And only now did he realize how grand and wide it was. There were two desks, two beds, two windows, two of everything. The room was perfectly symmetric. And he stood there, not sure which side to take.

He sighed, ‘left then,’ thinking to himself. ‘Not like it matters.’ Bobby thought, as he started to unpack his suitcase. After he was done settling in, he laid down on his bed. It was a tough day, but he could not sleep. And then he remembered the pamphlet, and how everything was in it. With nothing better to do, he got up and shifted through his ‘notes’, finally finding it.

“This campus is in New Athens?” Bobby was baffled, again. ‘This campus is in the city?’ He immediately faced the window and saw students wandering around. They were actually alive; unlike everyone he saw in the city. ‘How is that possible?’ Then Bobby realized that magic is real. Or something. Magic is something. Bobby continued staring through the window, unsure how to proceed. He continued staring out the window, until he noticed Yu Xiao barging in with his guards. He just ignored them, he had to meet Amanda soon enough.  Or at least he wanted to before Yu Xiao walked up to him. “This One will acknowledge the presence before This One.”

He sided eyed him, beyond done with his shit. ‘I actually have to deal with this, for absolutely nothing?’ Bobby sighed, “Mr. Yu, I have to go now, I don’t have time to talk.” He walked pasted Yu Xiao but was surrounded by the bodyguards. “Why do you need bodyguards on campus?” But he never heard his answer, as he saw a large eagle’s claw swiping towards him, nearly trying to decapitate him. But the illusion shattered as it touched Bobby.

An awkward silence ensued.

“Can I go now?” Bobby asked automatically. ‘Just what is going on?’

But Yu Xiao didn’t respond, and finally he nodded. “This One allows you to leave This One’s presence,” he nearly mumbled.

‘So it was real, whatever “real” means,’ Bobby thought, walking past the bodyguards and into the dorm hall. “Now, to meet Amanda.”

Soon enough, he found himself standing in front of the gold rimmed glass doors of Flamme des Chefs. He walked up the steps, finally noticing the interior design. The place was coated with gold, shimming like the morning sun. With enough chandeliers to fill a large wedding hall. But Bobby doubted his eyes, and there was no way there would be over- what seemed- one hundred of them for such a small restaurant.

Bobby saw the waiter waiting for him, “no need, I am waiting for someone,” he said dismissing him. The waiter was a bit shocked, but he nodded, and continued serving the other customers, occasionally eyeing Bobby. But Bobby was looking outside, waiting for Amanda, he checked his phone, and saw she responded: “a bit tied up. Otw,” nearly fifteen minutes ago. He started texting her when he heard someone walking up to him. He looked up and saw Amanda in a small strapless black dress with fringes and wearing a shimming pearl necklace. Her black stilettos reflected the shimmering golden floor. And she was wearing a leather messenger bag.

“Hi, Bobby,” she said, slumping down into her seat. “Tiring day, but, yeah, how are you? But before I forget,” she passed over the messenger bag, “Boss wanted you to have this. And I put a laptop into it also. I had another one for you, with three USB ports, but Boss insistent about this one.”

Bobby took the messenger bag, and almost opened it, when the waiter came up to them. “The usual,” Amanda said. He nodded and went into the kitchen. “But, yeah, how are you? How are the pills? They are a bit old fashion, but it’s the safest.”

Bobby looked up from the messenger bag, “I forgot to take them.” He stared at Amanda, not knowing what to expect.

“There is always tomorrow,” she said sighing. “But, yeah, did you visit the college? There is usually some sort of orientation for new and transfer students. You should look into it.” The waiter came in and placed the fries in front of Amanda, who immediately started to devour them, forgetting about her black nail polish.

Bobby stared at the salad with duck fat placed in front of him and shoved it away. He was not in the mood for food. “I went to college today. They did have a new student orientation and a pamphlet.”

Amanda started to giggle, “so old fashion. But, okay. Do you have your textbooks?” She said wiping her fingers clean. “You should eat something; you probably didn’t eat anything today.”

“Text-“ but Bobby was cut off.

“Oh My God! Is that Amanda?” They turned their head towards the entrance and saw a mob of brunette Latina women in small strapless black dresses with fringes and dazzling pearl necklaces, wearing black stilettos. “Oh My God! That IS Amanda!”

Bobby was stunned as he saw Amanda walk up to them, squealing and screeching  with them. And soon, they walked off, leaving Bobby in a seat at a table for two.

Bobby was speechless.

And apparently the waiter that was waiting for their order. He turned to Bobby, “sorry, is there something wrong with the salad?”

Bobby turned to the waiter, “I am sorry, but is ‘salad’ a euphemism for something?” ‘My friend just left, and you ask if there is something wrong with the salad? Is there something wrong with you?’

An awkward silence ensued.

Bobby turned his head forward, “No, just bring the bill.” He sighed, what just happened? He looked at the entrance, as if expecting Amanda to appear out of thin air. She didn’t by the time the bill arrived. Bobby left with the messenger bag after paying.

Bobby stood in front of the entrance of the restaurant, breathing in the awful air of the city. He looked at his phone. It was only 10:08 pm. Normally, their discussions would go past midnight. Lost with what to do, he wandered the streets. He saw many things this time. Normally, his schizophrenia would show the same gruesome scene over and over again. Until he came home sweet home. But this time, he saw many things, like some fiend shredding a corpse of a human, spilling blood all over the place.

He looked down at the street, littered with needles. He rolled one with the bottom of his shoe. “At least something is real…” he muttered. There was no way Amanda just left, right? He walked back into the restaurant and did not see Amanda sitting there.  He sighed, leaving the restaurant for the last time.  

He looked back at the spot of the fiend and corpse, just to see the blood stain, but no monsters. He sighed; this will be a long walk.

He walked down the sidewalk overflooded with crooked needles. Walking past the many dumpsters of ashes and blood, he heard many muffled sounds along with streaming piss. He sighed, “home sweet home,” he said. He finally walked past an alley and saw someone dragging multiple drugged people deeper into the alley.

‘Was that me at one point?’ He remembers Amanda telling him that he had been on the streets for four years. Its was impossible for Bobby to fathom how he survived for so long. In such a perilous place. Or maybe it was an illusion. Illusion from his accursed schizophrenia.

But then again, it’s only because of his schizophrenia he got here. Would Amanda be his friend if he wasn’t? Would he even be accepted into the magic academy if he wasn’t? Would he even be hired by Boss for the guarantee-to-fail project if he wasn’t schizophrenic?  

The answer was no. No to all three questions. His only value as a human was something he had no control over. Something he didn’t have in his childhood. Something he wasn’t sure even existed. It could have all been a dream and he would be none the wiser. Bobby kind of wished it was.

At least he would be normal. The normal Bobby Johansson from IT. You can’t get much more typical than that.

Bobby found himself facing a highway, with trucks and more trucks rushing into the city. But it seemed that nothing was leaving. He sighed, ‘how did I leave the dorms in the first place?’

2.2k words plus 1.5k words from the previous chapter. I cant say I imagine writing nearly 4k words a week. Please comment if you find a mistake, and enjoy your reading adventures.

0