Prologue
143 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An accident can happen at any time.

My friends and I had been drinking quite a bit this night and, being a responsible person, I had left my car at the bar we were at and walked home.

It would have taken me 45 minutes to walk home, so I was really proud of myself for doing this.

One of my friends, who wasn’t as drunk as the others, offered me to sleep at his place, but I refused. Considering it now, I should have taken him up on his offer.

During my walk home, I encountered several people, even though it was already way past midnight. This new app called ’Pokemon GO’ just came out, and it seemed everyone was taking it for a spin.

As I rounded a corner, I spotted a small group of girls. They all seemed to be around my little sister’s age, so in high school.

I was distracted, thinking about how it was dangerous for those girls to be out this late, as I crossed the street.

And, quite ironically, as I was thinking about their safety, I didn’t look both ways as I crossed the street and, as a result, didn’t spot the giant truck I stepped in front of.

 

Now, as you might have already guessed, that didn’t work out so well; The truck hit me dead on, and I finally found out what it is like to fly.

I flew a few meters and crash-landed in a pile of bin bags which would be picked up in the morning. 

The bin bags cushioned my fall, preventing me from dying instantly. I could hear loud, high pitched, screaming from right beside me and I instinctively turned my head to look for the source.

I discovered the group of girls I had spotted earlier; The truck had launched me across the street and I had landed right next to them.

The girls were screaming hysterically and several of them had gone pale with fright.

I watched them for a while as I struggled to get out of the pile of rubbish.

At that time, a large man appeared in my field of vision, yelling at both me and the girls.

I don’t know what he was saying, but one of the girls calmed down slightly and, with tears streaming down her face, took out her phone and dialled someone.

As I was watching the girl, the man got down on one knee and started moving the rubbish I was lying in aside.

 Seeing him do this, I thought that I should help and grabbed a shoe that was sticking out of the pile.

I pulled it towards me, intending to then throw it aside, but I couldn’t get it to move.

Refusing to give up, I pulled harder and it moved slightly. 

When I managed to make it move, however, the large man started screaming at me again and took the shoe from my hands, pushing my arms away.

As I was looking at him, confused, more of the rubbish got removed and I, again, spotted the shoe.

This time, I could also see what was keeping me from throwing the shoe aside; It was still attached to someone's foot.

My foot, to be precise.

I don’t know when it happened, but my knee joint had reversed and my lower leg was now pointing upwards.

Apart from that, a long piece of metal was poking out of my belly, someone had thrown it away with the rest of the rubbish and I had been lodged onto it.

The cherry on the cake was the long cut on my right thigh, I don’t know how the cut got there, but my thigh muscle had been cut through and I could vaguely see the bone. 

When I saw all this, I finally realised what kind of situation I was in and the wave of adrenaline started to wear off.

When all the pain that had been suppressed by the adrenaline hit me, my brain swiftly shut itself off.

 

Afterwards, an ambulance picked me up and that is how I eventually ended up here.

I’m lying on a hospital bed, hooked up to all kinds of machines and being drip-fed medicine and blood all day.

I’m rarely awake, but when I am, the pain quickly rushes in and knocks me unconscious in just a few minutes.

One time this happened, my little sister was there and, when she was screaming at the nurse, they said that I couldn’t get painkillers because of other medicine or something; I didn’t really get it.

Lately, whenever I wake up, either my sister or mother is there, along with an important-looking man in a suit. They then start talking to me and asking me all sorts of questions, but I understand few of them.

Last time I woke up, all my family was there and a tall western man in a lab coat who said something about making me sleep or something. I haven’t woken up since then.

 

I haven’t woken up for quite some time now; I can occasionally hear people talking, but I’m never able to respond.

Lately, I’m much clearer about my situation. I don’t know if my medicine has changed or because the pain has subsided, but I’m able to think now.

I realise that I’m in a hospital after getting in a traffic accident and that I’ve been put in a coma because they can’t use anaesthetics to deal with the pain.

I don’t know how long I’ll have to be in a coma, or how long I’ve been in it in the first place, but I hope I get to wake up soon.

 

I think I’ll be able to wake up soon; I’ve been able to hear my surroundings more often and for longer periods.

One time, I could hear my mother singing a song to me; A song that she always sang when I was younger.

Another time, my sister was telling me about her boyfriend, and how I would like him.

Just yesterday, one of my friends came to visit. He started talking about what’s been going on at uni but eventually started crying and left after a few minutes.

I think I’ll be fine, I’ll just sleep for a while and when my injuries have healed, I’ll wake up.

 

I’ve slept for quite a while now; My sister has gotten married to the boyfriend she mentioned earlier and today she told me that she’s even got two kids now; a twin.

They’re only a few weeks old, but she says they look like me; The oldest has even got the same eyes as me, a blue one and a green one.

She promised to bring them along next time, I’m quite excited; They are my nephews after all.

I guess I’ll sleep until she’s back. I hope they like me, even if I can’t see or talk to them.

 

Lately, someone has been talking to me. He introduced himself as Adon and said that I won't wake up.

He said that he can help me, but I don’t really like him; he’s different from everyone else.

He seems to know when I can hear him and understands me when I respond.

Although that would by itself is a good thing, he is really loud.

Whenever my sister or my mother, and recently my nephews, talk to me, he talks over them, preventing me from hearing them.

 

A few sad things have happened recently.

Apparently my mother is in the hospital with me; She collapsed at work several days ago and hasn't been able to use her legs since then.

She gets around in a wheelchair alright, but it's still not nice.

I feel kind of bad though. Since it's already really expensive to keep me in the hospital, she can't afford to have something done about it.

My sister is also saving up money to help her, but with her kids to take care off, it'll take a long time before she has enough.

If I could just wake up, I'd be able to help. It doesn't look like I'll be able to, though.

The voice is also telling me the same thing; If I want to wake up, I'll have to rely on him.

I don't know if it's a good idea, but I think it's the only way for me to wake up.

 

I've decided. I'll listen to the voice; That way, I'll be able to wake up. I’ll just have to do a little job for him.

3