Chapter 2: Yari Ama and Alvita Niola
48 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Yari my girl!!!" Ya said while lifting her up and twirling her. "How are you? Did you miss papa?" Yari couldn't help but to smile at her father's affection, she thinks it's far cuter than how those 'older sisters' treat her.

"Papa!! I got a big frog today!" The sand in her hair and small scratches on her knees show that she ended up sneaking out the house again. "Mhm! Papa hears you..but what are these scars I see?" Once Ya had pointed this out, Yari instantly struggled to get out of his grasp.

"I was just playing papa, don't be mad!" Yari had only turned four this year so her emotions and impulses would get the best of her. She had been forbidden from leaving her home since her mother had passed and although Yari had been obedient, a child's curiosity would soon conquer. Ya gently placed Yari on the floor and patted her head.

"I understand that you were just playing but what if you got hurt? A few scratches can turn into a cut and then a cut will become a wound!" Hearing this caused Yari to pout and she even began to tear up a little. Ya couldn't stand seeing this and wiped the small child's tears.

"Don't cry…papa is just worried for you." Despite his attempt at comforting, the child continued to cry. "Ah…" sighing in defeat, Ya looks around to see if anything could cheer his daughter up.

His eyes catch Tiburon Niola, the village's fisherman. A snack will surely cheer her up! Ya picks up the still-crying Yari and carries her over to Tiburon. "Oi!!! Niola!!! Stop a second I wish to buy!!" Tiburon stops and turns to look at Ya with an irritated glare. "I see you brought the little one with you…done locking her up, I suppose?" Such an obvious insult would usually irritate someone but Ya has always taken things lightly so all he did was smile back at this tease.

"Ah so you've noticed! And here I thought you were half blind because of your eye!" Ya takes things lightly but Tiburon is the exact opposite. Tiburon had a reputation of being powerful and strong only because of how much he had fought the other men when he was younger. Teasing Tiburon was almost like poking a wasp's nest.

"…." All Tiburon did was glare and tighten the basket carrying fish on his back. Ya laughed and pat Tiburons shoulder. "Old friend! You see this crying baby, yes?" Tiburon's eyes glanced over at the crying Yari. "So she got your temperament…how nice." Tiburon attempted a smile but it really only appeared as a snarl. This had caused Yari to cry even more.

"Wahhhh!! papa!!! Papaaa!!" Ya could only sigh as Yari began hiding her face in her fathers chest. "She really is like me huh? Anyways I came to buy fish for my girl! She deserves a treat!" Tiburon raised one eyebrow at this and handed a fish off to Ya.

"You don't have to pay…we're trying to go home quickly" After saying this Tiburon attempted to make a quick leave until he was stopped again. "Did you say 'we're'? I don't recall there being another person with you! Is the salt water getting the best of you again?" Ya said winking. Tiburon scoffed and blushed, "No! My daughter is here!" Tiburon turned his back to show that the basket that was supposedly carrying 'fish' was actually carrying a child!

"What?! Why'd you put her in there?? Can't she walk?" Tiburon had paused for a moment and looked Ya up and down. "Can Yari Ama not walk? Why must her father carry her around?" Tiburon didn't give Ya a chance to reply and hurried up walking back to his home.

"Papa…" By the time Tiburon left, Yari had stopped crying and was left with puffy eyes and a runny nose. Ya looked down at her and smiled, "You were crying for so long that you didn't realize that papa bought you a snack!" Holding up the medium sized fish for Yari to marvel at, he kissed her forehead and began walking back to their home.

Meanwhile, Tiburon continued walking with his own thoughts until he was interrupted by his little 'fish' in the basket. "Father, how did that man not notice me before?" Although she was only six years old, Alvita had quite a deep and raspy voice almost like a growling cat. Tiburon hadn't replied but this didn't stop Alvita from asking more questions.

"And that kid was crying during your whole conversation, it woke me up! What an annoying brat!" Alvita said this with a smile and an almost-singing-tone, she probably had learned this way of talking from her mother. "And father, why did you give them free food? You worked hard to catch that!" All of the questions began to exhaust Tiburon and he finally cut her off with a loud sigh.

"Child, why must you speak so much? Listen closely because I won't repeat myself. That man and child are your caique and they make sure you stay safe. Don't be rude to them, do you understand?" The sudden stern voice and lecture from her father only caused Alvita to question everything more.

Why do they protect us? What do they protect us from? Why did you give them the fish? How will they protect us when that kid cries so much? Why aren't you caique? All of these questions are what she had asked but  the last question had angered Tiburon to the point of yelling.

Why aren't you caique? The one question that Tiburon had always asked himself.

Why aren't you caique? The question that Alvita will ask herself as well.

Why are they caique? Something that Alvita will question until she finally understands why they protect them, why they get the fish, and why she and her father aren't caique.

2