Chapter 7: Ambitions
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the adrenaline subsided, the group shifted their attention to the spoils of their hard-fought victory. The fallen goblins, their bodies twisted and broken, bore crude weapons and scraps of worn armor. It was a grim reminder of the brutality that permeated this unforgiving realm.

Eager to examine their spoils, the combat unit dispersed, their eyes scanning the battlefield for anything of value. Damien, driven by curiosity and a desire to contribute further, carefully approached one of the fallen goblins. The goblin's twisted form lay motionless, its cold, lifeless eyes staring into nothingness.

With a hesitant touch, Damien reached out to inspect the goblin's body, unaware of the repercussions that awaited him. As his hand made contact with the goblin's still-warm flesh, a sudden jolt coursed through his body, followed by an alarming notification that materialized before his eyes.

Raise Undead/Absorb soul

Damien's heart skipped a beat as he read the notification. The revelation sent a surge of excitement and unease through his veins, as the possibilities and responsibilities of this newfound ability became apparent. With the power to manipulate the line between life and death, he held a double-edged sword in his hands.

As Damien pondered his options, a sense of caution overcame him. He didn't want to reveal his necromantic abilities to the rest of the group just yet, especially considering the mixed reactions such powers often elicited. Moreover, he desired his first undead servant to be something more formidable than a lowly goblin. With these thoughts in mind, Damien decided to choose a different path—he would absorb the soul.

With a deep breath, Damien focused his mind and extended his senses toward the fallen goblin's essence. As he touched the goblin's lifeless body once more, he concentrated his will, invoking the power of his ability. In an instant, an ethereal light enveloped the goblin's form, as its soul began to transfer to Damien.

The energy surged through Damien's body, coursing through his veins like a wild river. The soul's essence merged with his own, flooding him with power and knowledge. He could feel the goblin's memories, its instincts, and its essence becoming a part of him, intertwining with his own being.

As the absorption completed, Damien's eyes opened wide, the irises glowing momentarily with an otherworldly light. His body trembled with newfound energy, his muscles tingling with vitality. He could feel the effects of the absorbed soul manifesting within him.

+1 agility

Feeling invigorated and aware of the significance of this transformation, Damien took a moment to collect himself. He possessed a hidden power, one that he would wield with discretion and care. With his increased agility, he knew he could contribute even more effectively to the group's endeavors while keeping his true abilities concealed for the time being.

As he rejoined the others, Damien's composure remained unchanged, his face betraying no sign of the momentous event that had just transpired. He resolved to bide his time, waiting for the right moment to reveal his abilities and demonstrate their value to those around him.

With a renewed sense of purpose and a newfound strength coursing through his veins, Damien eagerly continued absorbing the souls around him, raking in an extra 2 stats in strength. Some corpses didn't grant him any stats, the reason still being a mystery to him.

With his newfound strength, Damien's mind raced with thoughts of personal advancement. The surge of power coursing through his veins fueled a growing sense of self-importance. He couldn't help but feel a twinge of selfishness amidst the thrill of his enhanced abilities.

As he rejoined the others, Damien's gaze darted across the group, his mind assessing their strengths and weaknesses. He couldn't deny a surge of confidence as he realized that with his abilities now improved, he was stronger than when he first started the hunt. His desire for personal growth and recognition began to overshadow any altruistic motives he may have once held.

A sly smile played on Damien's lips as he reveled in the secrecy of his newfound powers. He relished the idea of keeping his true abilities hidden, knowing that it gave him an advantage over the unsuspecting members of his group. He believed that by concealing his true potential, he could position himself as the group's indispensable asset, using their trust and reliance on his skills to further his own growth.

Unbeknownst to the people he was with, Damien's actions were no longer solely driven by the group's success. His newfound power had ignited a hunger for personal achievement, and he would stop at nothing to satiate it. He was prepared to exploit every situation to further his own growth, even if it meant manipulating his comrades or withholding the true extent of his abilities.

Damien's gaze fixated on the lifeless body of the evolved goblin, his eyes filled with greed and anticipation. With calculated subtlety, he approached the fallen creature, feigning interest in the spoils of battle scattered around it. As his hand reached out to touch the goblin's corpse, his intentions remained hidden from prying eyes.

The moment Damien's hand made contact with the lifeless form, a surge of energy coursed through his veins, surpassing the previous absorption of the goblin's soul. The essence of the evolved goblin flowed into him, granting him a newfound vitality that stirred within his being.

His body trembled as the energy settled, and Damien could feel the tangible effects of his absorption. Three points were added to his vitality, enhancing his physical resilience and fortitude. The greed that had clouded his eyes only moments ago was now replaced by a sense of satisfaction and triumph.

Skill- Vitality Resurgence gained

Type- passive

Doubles vitality stat

But it was the acquisition of a skill that truly enthralled Damien. A passive ability that doubled his vitality stat manifested within him, offering an unparalleled level of durability. With this newfound skill, his body became more durable, capable of enduring blows that would shatter ordinary humans.

A wicked smile curled on Damien's lips as he realized the potential implications of his newfound power. He relished the thought of outlasting his foes, standing as an unyielding force against any adversary. This passive skill would be his secret weapon, furthering his own personal agenda and solidifying his place in this world.

As Damien concealed his excitement, he casually rejoined the others, his gaze now filled with an air of confidence. While his comrades remained unaware of the true extent of his abilities, Damien's mind raced with possibilities. With each step he took, he was propelled further along the path of self-interest and personal growth, his insatiable hunger for power growing with every victory.

Little did the group suspect the darkness that simmered beneath Damien's composed exterior. His selfish desires and hunger for recognition threatened to unravel the very fabric of their unity. And as they made their way back to camp, Damien clung tightly to his secrets, relishing the knowledge that he held the key to his own ascent, hidden in the depths of his newfound power.

Short chapter, but do not fret readers, more is to come. Nox!

0