073~What Is The Miasma?
174 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What is the first task?" Yvlena asked warily, the swamp was crawling with all sorts of creatures, and taking on Bavga's tasks would force her deeper into it.

Yvlena already dreaded the sight of the water bound creatures but she would need to do it anyway to uncover the secrets of the game.

And what her mother left behind.

Bavga stayed on her bone carved rocking chair and began speaking.

"Don't rush me, child," Bavga snapped, Yvlena flinched at the tone but kept silent as the hag adjusted herself to be more comfortable in her chair.

"Fine," Yvlena said folding her arms and glaring impatiently.

Bavga took a shuddering breath, struggling to breathe the stale swamp air.

The old witch was sick, that much Yvlena knew.

"There is a peculiar item possessed by creatures corrupted by the Miasma. Obtain ten for me and I will answer a question if yours as well as present you with a reward,"

'She means the Shadow essence,'

"The war of the gods destroyed everything after more than a few decades, I have remained secluded in this Swamp," Bavga said.

"As for why I need you to get them for me, I am not as young as I once was and I do not possess the blessings of an elf, like yourself. 300 years will do that to a witch,"

[Quest: The First Task

Since becoming ill in the corrupted Avaresh Swamp, Bavga has been unable to venture out on her own.

She needs your assistance acquiring the Shadow Essence possessed by creatures under the Miasma's hold.

***

Rewards

Swamp seeds x5 

***

Moon Points x500

 EXP x300]

[Do You Accept?]

[Yes/No]

Yvlena read the quest objectives with a serious expression. It seemed simple enough, collect ten Shadow Essence orbs from corrupted creatures.

She already possessed seventeen Shadow Essence orbs in her inventory and needed them for the Ever Blooms in her garden.

She sighed.

'I could always fight more creatures, it's better I use them for the quest,' she thought.

Yvlena accepted, then fished the black marble sized orbs out of her inventory and presented them to Bavga whose singular eyebrow lifted in surprise.

[Bavga is amazed at your prowess]

[Affinity with Bavga increased+3]

"I suppose the quest was too easy for someone like yourself," her tone carried a grudging respect.

[Quest Complete: 

First Task

Since becoming ill in the corrupted Avaresh Swamp Bavga is unable to venture out on her own.

She needs your assistance acquiring the Shadow Essence possessed by creatures under the Miasma's hold.

***

Rewards

Swamp seeds x5 

***

Moon Points x500]

[Yvlena Acquired

EXP: 1185/1590]

Yvlena let out a sigh of relief, thinking the game wouldn't allow her to submit her previously obtained Shadow Essence.

She didn't want to have to hunt five different Miasmatic entities.

"Ask your question child," Bavga said, the hag began rocking in her chair again.

"Oh, uh," Yvlena stuttered, her mind had gone blank at the sudden prompt, she paused to think about her question, cycling through potentials.

"Just what is the Miasma? Why does it seem to corrupt everything?"

"That's two questions in one but I will indulge you child because I was impressed by your fight with the bone beast and the speed at which you handled the first task," Bavga said.

"The Miasma is what happens after a Godfall," the old witch grinned.

"But aren't gods supposed to be unkillable?" Yvlena said. She closed her mouth when she realized she had asked yet another question.

Bavga gave her an irritated look.

"I'm sorry," Yvlena apologized.

"The Miasma is proof that they are not dead, they simply become something else," Bavga continued.

"Something else," Yvlena repeated, she thought about it for a few minutes putting the pieces of her theory together.

[War of the Gods 4% completion]

"If the Miasma is the corrupted essence of a fallen god...That explains why it reanimated the dead soldiers at the outpost!" Yvlena said.

It turned them into something else.

"You may ask another question after the second task," Bavga said with a calm wave of her hand.

"I'd like to take a moment,"

"Come back when you're ready," the witch said.

----------

Aya took the Revista off again and got out of bed to check if her roommate had returned, it was almost two o'clock and Mars had said she would be back by noon.

She found her roommate sitting on the living room couch tapping her foot pensively.

"Mars you're back," Aya said in relief.

The dark haired girl looked back at Aya standing in the doorway to the other room.

"Did you eat?" Mars asked, relaxing at the sight of Aya.

Aya nodded.

"Mars is everything alright," Aya asked, noticing the girl's forlorn face. Mars looked contemplative, thinking deeply about something.

Mars nodded slightly.

"Just some stuff on my mind,"

Aya came closer and occupied the empty space beside her friend. She rested a comforting hand in Mars' hair and gave an encouraging smile.

"Hey, what's up?" 

Mars seemed hesitant to speak, but after a glance at Aya's face, she couldn't resist.

"I was at the arcade today for a tournament,"

[Flashback]

Mars stepped off the podium connected to the arcade machine after clenching a difficult win. She shot her opponent a smirk and watched him step down as well grumbling.

Overhead her avatar winked on the display board telling everyone near and far that she had won the fighting game tournament.

Her prize money was transferred to her instantly and while she stood checking the amount, her opponent faced her again, sticking his hand out he said.

"Good game,"

In the spirit of good sportsmanship, Mars shook his large, clammy hands.

"Your technique needs some work but you fought well," she said. He nodded and began walking away.

Mars looked up from her phone to catch a glimpse of silver hair. She blinked, holding back a gasp at the sight of the familiar color.

She stilled her heart, silver hair wasn't uncommon especially not in Axen City but something about the figure filled her with dread. 

Mars started in the direction she had seen the figure go, walking away from the arcade machine and towards the entrance.

Over the crowd, a silver haired man spoke to what looked like the manager of the Pinhole arcade.

Mars inched closer, her heart pounding with every step forward, in a moment the figure turned around just briefly enough to catch sight of his face.

[Flashback End]

"It was Arlo, I’m sure of it," Mars said, Aya frowned. 

Arlo, one of the people Mars left behind in Evangels, a member of the Eos Conquers. The same group that betrayed her friend. But what would a member of her former group be doing here in Axen?

"Do you think they're looking for you?" Aya asked. Mars nodded with certainty.

"Oh, they most definitely are and I know the method they'll use,”

"What's that?"

"They're going to hold a tournament to fish me out," Mars said. "Lucky I saw Arlo first, if not I would have walked into a trap,"

"You're right, that was lucky," Aya agreed. "Do you think they would all have been there waiting for you?"

"Not sure but one thing is clear, we've got to disappear,”

Advanced chapters on Patreon

6