(Draft) Chapter 10 – Pain, pain and more pain
88 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning is worse as we start preparing for the ceremony in the evening and I let out a groan.

My closet, as well as my brother’s and father's, is cleaned out by my mother as she starts assembling clothes ‘fancy enough to be shown in front of the crown’.

I’m dressed in a black suit and pants borrowed from my father after hours of my mother digging through clothes. 

A cravat was tied around my collar and I grimaced a little as I’m peppered with the most expensive perfume we have. 

After being waved off by my whole family, I met Violet outside her house as she offered to drop me off. 

She has her gloved arms folded as her long black floral skirt barely avoids the floor. 

You know, I just realized but she has quite a lot of flowery clothing. 

“Hey Bitch."

The driver of the unreasonably luxurious carriage flinches at my casual addressal, 

“Hey Trash.”

He’s not surprised at hers. 

I keep a polite smile on my face as I speak, not noticing the driver flinch at it. 

“Why am I receiving a medal when I told you I didn’t want one?”

Her glare turns into an awkward blush and I hear a gasp from the driver as he probably looks over.

Kek, bet he didn’t realize she could make this type of face.

“...Logan demanded you be given your share of recognition.”

“Argh, you goddamn dumbass!”

“Wha-! What did you expect?!”

“Someone with at least a little bit of willpower. I told you I didn’t want this!”

Her blush only got stronger, making me reflexively smirk.

Wow I just got a good idea.

Time for some stress relief. 

“Wow~ to think the Duchess’s infamous daughter was this weak to the man she loved. Kehahahaha, don’t you agree my dear driver?”

“Uhrm-! I-... I think it’s cute, Ma’am!”

“Pffft!”

Queen Bitch’s face turns into a violent blur and she glares at me with a red face. 

My shoulders are shaking as I try to hold in my laughter and the driver is shaking as he fears for his job. 

“…Trash. Get in.”

Her brows were furrowed and she was still blushing up a storm but for the most part, she had cooled off.

Ah a shame. 

I try to recall my mother’s lessons in etiquette. Taking a half step back with one foot, my hand goes behind my waist and I open my palm in her direction.

“Shall we depart, my lady?”

“…disgusting.”

“Yes, you are indeed beautiful.”

A sneer doesn’t leave my face and Violet lets out a rough sigh before groaning.

“…Driver, we’re departing.”

“Y-yes Ma’am!”

With tears in his eyes we departed.

Worldbuilding wise, there wasn’t much to say. The driver ordered the horses to move as we travelled down the smooth road and something- something.

I don’t know, I had closed my eyes after a minute completely bored out of my mind.

“Fuck, I could use a drink right about now.”

“There should be wine at the ceremony.”

“Wait really!?”

I grab Violet by the shoulders smiling and she just looks at me calmly with slightly widened eyes.

“W-wait really? Seriously? You’re not lying right?!”

“Yes, seriously. Now take your hands of-Gah!?!”

She glares at me but I don’t realize as I pull her into a hug.

GAHAHAHA ALCOHOL, BOOZE, I’M COMING BABY!!

 

  •  

 

  •  

 

  •  

 

No.

Dammit NO!

I understand that this is a formal event, I understand that drunkards aren’t exactly welcome but…

What’s with this wine?

I sorrowfully down another cup of the watered down booze as I stand by myself next to the banquet of food. 

Finally, relying on my mental crutch, my racing mind finally began relaxing. 

“Sir, may I ask if you’ve had enough?”

I look up to find a maid with freckles and brown hair politely ‘asking’ me. 

Mentally, I was fine like whenever I drank before I got isekai’d but I now realised that this body: like how it’s never had coffee, has never had alcohol.

Ah, I still haven’t given up on curbstomping the fuck who put me here. 

Not even this shitty alcohol will stop me. 

My current state made me a little nostalgic though, like when I used to go drinking with my friend. 

My current ‘family’ even worried like my old one.

‘Be polite, my son. You don’t need to enjoy the event but please act properly.’

‘Father is right Brother! Don’t swear or anything!’

‘Wait, Topi. Your brother swears?’

‘…no.’ 

I shake my head trying to rid my brain of that shitty conversation and speak, the sweet wine goes bitter as I further immerse myself in old memories. 

“Yeah… Could I ask ya ta get me some water? I’m not that drunk but I wanna sober up.” 

“Of course Sir.”

Finishing the rest of my cup and regrettably the last drink of the night, I look around the large ballroom and find Topi speaking to the Princess. 

Looking at her closely, she seems to be enjoying the conversation so I don’t bother the pair. They move to leave the ballroom and I guess they’re heading to the building’s garden.

Leaning against a wall with both her arms crossed, Queen Bitch had a small scowl on her face and eyes focused on a suited up Logan talking about some other or other with some knights guarding the ballroom. 

Shit, shouldn’t they be focusing? 

Thankfully, the terrorist group ‘Arcane Purists’ don’t attack until later on in the year when the Princess is attending a celebration.  

...Hmm, I randomly got a bad feeling. 

Scratching my head, I take a step forward when the sound of glass breaking above me. 

Nobles scream and I cover my head as I move backwards. 

Masked men and women climb down with ropes and a paper is thrown down first. 

Taking a glance at the inscriptions, my brain works overtime as I start to remember the pattern and I mutter before closing my eyes. 

“Flashbang!” 

Light explodes ignoring my closed eyelids as a voice rings out. 

“WE ARE THE ARCANE PURISTS! DOWN WITH THE FEY, HUMANITY ONLY!”

…WHAT THE FUCK!?

Aggressively rubbing my eyes, I grab ‘something’ off the table and move forward to where I saw the people repelling. 

Blinking to test my eyes, I point my weapon towards the terrorists and speak to draw aggro. 

“Hey, if you don’t leave right now… I’ll kill you.” 

A woman responds just as my eyes start to recover. 

“W…With a spoon?” 

Quickly checking what I was holding, I was pointing a fancy spoon in the direction of several men and women holding swords and daggers. 

Worse yet, there wasn’t a soul moving behind them.

The knights were incapacitated while the nobles clutched their eyes. 

Hm. Should I run? 

“OW!”

Turning to the man yelling, I find a broken glass bottle hit the floor and find Villainess picking up another off the table on her side of the ballroom then throwing it. 

“THIS BITCH!” 

Four eyes turn to face the girl and I feel a smile spread across my face as she throws another bottle.

Violet. 

Just this once. 

“..I love you.” 

Dashing forward, I (bravely) stab one of the terrorists in the back with my spoon then take their sword as they reel in pain. 

“YOU BAS-!” 

I don’t bother listening to the next guy as I swing my sword and feel my blade cut flesh. 

Relying entirely on my reflexes, I return to a proper stance and roughly estimate the trajectory of an incoming dagger then parry. 

Stomach exposed, I stabbed the man in the stom- oops, I was too low. 

“URGH! YOU DEMON!!” 

Ah fuck it, there’s no going back. 

Stabbing the blade deeper: I immediately abandon my blade in the man’s, uh stomach, and scoop up a sword.

Catching the Villainess’s eyes, I throw it to her and she catches it in time to block a sword swung from above. 

Kicking a guy with a spoon in his back, I pick up a dagger and move to find the rest of the terrorists being dealt with by knights. 

Helping Queen Bitch finish her opponent, I meet her eye and nod to the door the Princess and Topi left through. 

The event was early but if it followed the game’s story then the Princess would be working together with Topi. 

“...tsk, what a mess.” 

Now to check on my brother. 

======================

It was supposed to be a beautiful time for me and Victoria.

Moving to talk inside the garden, amongst trees and bushes glowing in the moonlight, I had just barely managed to set another one to redeem myself when her Highness’s face twisted. 

Shouts rang out deep inside the hall and before we could run back inside, roughly two dozen masked men and women appeared from the shadows in the direction of the door inside. 

An amulet glowed, creating a barrier and the masked figures began hitting the shield as if expecting it. The beautiful blue wall slowly began to crack. 

Even then, the Princess was calm. 

Up until…

“W-what do you mean you’re ‘out of magic’?!”

Speaking to something invisible, panic spread across her usually calm face and after a breath of frustration: she rolled down her sleeve revealing a bracelet.

Various miniature weapons hung from the black wire and after throwing one to me, she took out another then spoke.

“Sir Glennden, we’ll have to fight our way out of this. Will you help?”

I stare at her for a moment, fearing the idea of fighting. 

Then nod. 

If my brother could do it, so could I.

Using the large tree behind us as a wall to prevent being attacked from behind, all we had to do was keep the rest away. 

A small smile spread across her face, green eyes held me in place as I felt my cheeks grow hot. 

I liked her eyes, they reminded me of my parents and brother. 

They were strong eyes that refused to give up. 

And I wanted to be like them. 

“..Then channel mana into the item, they’re relics.”

Whooom!

The small ‘toy’ in her hand hummed then expanded revealing a black rapier. 

Holding it with an experienced hand, I channel what mana I have and a bow grows in my palms.

“Use mana to create arrows. We don’t need to win, just buy enough time.”

“Yes, Your Highness.” 

============================

Expecting to see two dozen men and women being bullied by the Princess’s magic, I find a surprisingly balanced scene as Topi fires from a distance and the Princess defends him like a knight. 

Predicting attacks, perfectly parrying and allowing Topi to fire with reckless abandon I saw why she was the ‘main character’ of this shitty game.

The Villainess charges forward, immediately attacking the closest man to us. 

I belatedly join in and taking advantage of that, I see the Princess pray with one hand and begin muttering as Topi fires any arrows to the few terrorists trying to take advantage of her prayers.

Throwing my head just out of harm’s way, I jam my sword into a man’s throat and charge forward. Pushing past men and women to guard the Princess while the Villainess goes all out. 

Her earring glows red numerous times as a red barrier prevents any blades from touching her and after what feels like an hour of fighting against multiple people: I hear the Princess’s tired voice. 

“Chains of Grass!”

The blades of grass beneath my feet lurch upwards and vines twist around all the remaining members of the ‘Arcane Purists’. 

I took a second while stabilizing my breath to check the Princess’s ears only to find the woman had untied her hair.

“...You alright Topi?”

My brother is also panting, he nods and I smile proud of him. “What about you, Queen Bitch.”

The girl was heaving but hiding it as she had her head aimed at the ground and leaning against a wall. Instead of responding, she aimed her middle finger at me. “What about you, Princess?” 

“...I’m… Fine…”

The usually emotionless Princess was covered in injuries and had her brows furrowed as she stared at the grass dyed red. 

I take a moment to breathe and feel sick before I start quietly laughing to myself. 

“Ahh, how terrible. I’m tired.” 

My body hurts all round and I begin seeing knights led by an out of breath Logan towards the garden. 

Hopefully today will end quickly. 

 

  •  

 

  •  

 

  •  

 

Corpses beginning to be dragged away to be identified, I scratch the back of my head as I force myself to not touch the various bandages attached to various places. 

“....Sir Glennden.” 

“Mm?”

Turning to the Princess, also bandaged, her tired eyes waver with exhaustion for a moment before being willed away. 

“Would you like for my carriage to escort you home? I’ve already got Logan and Violet coming, it’s a short walk past the beach.”

Noting the pair, I open my mouth to decline and give Queen Bitch her moment when an elbow elbows my side. 

“No thanks- ugh!” 

Turning my head, I find a wrapped up Topi standing beside me. 

Christ, is he a ninja or something what’s up with his stealth?

We’d love to come, Your Highness.” 

“......”

“...Right, Marcus?” My little brother grabs my collar as my arms remain crossed and I hear him whisper in my ear. “Brother, I’m going on another date with her. Just play along. Please?”

“...tsk. Yes, I’d love to come, Princess.” 

The Princess nods and turns away, “We’ll need to go downhill a little. I parked my carriage some distance away because I like the scenic route.” 

Ahh. 

What a pain.

 

  •  

 

  •  

 

  •  

 

Well, Topi passed out. 

Carrying him on my back, I frown a little as I stabilize my gait. 

Let's go through today's events. 

I was hurt, I didn’t get to drink, I didn’t get my medal or money, I was blinded and even jumped. 

Hah, what a world. 

Well. I was alive at least. 

“All’s well that ends well, right Queen Bitch?” 

“....”

“Violet…?” 

“....”

My eyes turn away from the setting sun off in the distance, with a beach far below. My injuries sting a little thanks to the air but the sight was good at least. Looking at what the Villainess is looking at, I see what she sees. 

Logan and the Princess are talking to each other while the Villainess just quietly bites her lip. 

Tsk, tsk. Kids. 

Adjusting Topi who’s sleeping on my back, I let go of one of his legs and raise my hand. (Lightly) slapping the back of the Villainess’s head, she turns to me enraged. 

Thankfully I’m already out of striking distance and I yell as she gets ready for revenge. “I’m carrying an injured kid!” 

Smirking at her a final time, I jammed my head in between Logan and the Princess and subtly shove the Princess forward. 

“Yo Princess! I need to ask you a few questions about your upcoming date with Topi!” 

“I-!?” 

She was in the middle of talking but I forgave her as I continue unbothered. 

“Y’know, the date you promised him earlier today?

“Ah.. Yes, that. We can continue late-!?” 

The Princess is surprisingly easy to maneuver despite Marcus and Topi’s below average height and I begin walking faster while using my right arm to hook her forward. 

By taking over the pace, she’s left trying to catch up so I’m not dragging her by the neck. 

I let out a quiet chuckle as I feel venomous stares dig into my back but with the Princess and my brother as a shield, I’m perfectly safe. 

=================

I watch as the Trash begins talking to her Highness in one of the most disrespectful manners I’ve ever seen. The back of my head still stung and I gave up beating him half to death as he began to take the Princess’s attention. 

“...Hah, that bastard.” (...Hah, that bastard.)

Flinching, I turn to find Logan looking back at me with the same expression. His face twists into a small smile as he chuckles, “I guess we both have the same opinion on him, Lady Beauregarde?”

“A-ah? Nnn. I-I guess we do, Sir Logan.”

My face begins to feel hot so I reflexively frown.

In Logan’s grey eyes, I can see myself scowling and with it Logan looks away slightly scared. 

I inwardly wince as he turned away from me but I don’t say anything further. 

Looking forward, I see the red-haired Trash making hand signals towards me but I can’t make sense of it. 

He makes a few more gestures, his arm no longer around the Princess’s neck instead supporting his sleeping brother, then lets out a sigh before giving up. 

From what I could see from his face, he looked comedically tired as he put a hand to his face. 

“Ah~ Princ…. You see… dealing with? Helping….blockhead…”

The Trash’s voice is cut off at times by the distance and ocean breeze but I can make out most of what he’s saying. Despite my body being stiff from walking next to Logan, I muttered to myself.

“...that Trash bastard.”

He was probably insulting me. 

===========================

After I’m done insulting the Villainess, I turn to the Princess to find a look of contempt on her face.

That in itself, causes me to reflexively smirk at her.  

“..Marcus Glennden. Did you really drag me over to complain about some nameless person you refuse to identify?”

My smirking reflection in her green eyes fade before I feel myself go a little serious. ‘This’ was something I had wanted to do in my previous life but never got the chance. With Topi asleep, I took a moment to choose my words then spoke. 

“...If you’re gonna pursue Topi. Do it properly, Your Highness.”

“...what?”

The Princess’s face contorts in slight confusion as I watch my reflection in her eyes grow serious. 

It was embarrassing. 

I do the manly thing and break eye contact, choosing to look away down the path we were walking as I continued. My face burned as I belatedly decided to go to Violet’s house, get Topi fixed then get drunk to forget this. 

“Topi…. He really does like you. I know you’re royalty and all… but you’ll be happy with him if you give him a chance. That’s all…. My bad for dragging you and all that.”

After speaking, I turn ready to leave but I hear the Princess's voice just before it’s cut off in the breeze. 

“...you’re a good brother, Marcus.”

The weight on my back feels a little heavier as I begin trudging home. 

“...that should be obvious.”

=======================

“He was blushing, Victoria.”

A fairy chuckles to herself before landing softly on the girl’s shoulder. “How cute, I didn’t know that guy could act like that.” 

The both of them watched as the red-haired teenager walked off, slightly hunched from embarrassment and eyes stubbornly focused on the pavement. 

3