11 – Steel Rank Examination
144 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Through the accounting company I applied for a limited company. I chose the name Tye-Mirai Holdings. It was going to be the base for my new plans for the future. For now, I would just open up a subsidiary call Tye-Mirai Investments and shove a hundred million in there to have it grow a bit. Hopefully, luck will have a plat in that as well.

I then changed and headed back to Ectasia. Which I found out is the name of the world. I think it is anyway. I have been fighting the monsters head on since I’ve gotten bored of just watching them for a few minutes dying but because of this, my close combat abilities have improved immensely.

I decided I’m done with this town which has an absurd number of low-level monsters in it. I paid a visit to elm for a few days and pay them all back for my kindness. I also brought a few dozen bags of seeding potatoes as a gift for them. I said these were a hardy crop which might grow here and to try them. They seemed surprised but the chief said they would try. I also said that the crop can be kept in a cellar for a few months.

I decided to take the guild assessment exam to see if I could make it to Steel Rank so I could go on escort missions. When I entered the guild there was the usual atmosphere of murmurs and chitchat that went around the place. It all seemed to quiet down significantly when I entered. I ignored this and walked straight up to a girl who could be no more than twelve working behind the desk.

I was tall and wearing a face covering made me look unfortunately rather intimidating. She in a stuttering tone said. “What can I help you with, sir?”

I just slumped my shoulders and said in a gentle voice. “I would like to take the rank examination for steel rank please?” She seemed to lose her stutter as she realized I wasn’t a threat and ran off to get whoever did it. I hadn’t seen her before so she must be new or because it is the middle of the day, we just haven’t crossed paths before.

After about a minute tall man in fancy brown pants and white shirt with bright orange hair who looked to be in his forties came out and motioned for me to follow him. He took me outside and after about a minute we were at a fighting ground with a few benches like at a baseball game.

It seems news of this had spread quickly because there was already like twenty men and women in the audience. The man drew his sword and spoke. “This is a simple spar for steel rank. If I judge your skills are adequate for it, you will pass. If you fail it will cost, you eight orichalcum. If you pass it will only cost, you four. is that clear?”

I just nodded and realized that was probably to make sure that someone didn’t just try the exam every day until they passed. I drew my short sword and moved one foot behind the other as I prepared for this spar. I was also excited since I had heard a few rumours about this guy.

Apparently, he was a silver rank who had retired and was sent by the guild to be the guild master here. He had served the role for over twenty years I think and was still as strong as a silver rank. The guild master said “begin.”

I jumped to the right as a thrust went straight past my head and I tried to get him to gut himself on the blade as he ran past it but somehow his sword was blocking the slash. I jumped back and put up my guard again. He then said. “You are strong for one with no magic at your age. I see much potential in your future.”

I was not aiming to win but to at least just not die instantly. I had watched a few of the spars and in most he just wiped the floor and seemed to pick them arbitrarily who would pass. There must have been something to it though. By this point I knew he had already considered me to have passed and wanted to see how strong I was. As he thrusted froward with his rapier-like sword again I dodge and leapt backwards as far to the left as I could. I then desperately tossed three kunai on his shoulders and stomach. All three were deflected easily but he then lowered his stance and placed his sword back in its sheaf. He then nodded and passed me my light grey plate. I then moved it next to my copper one and they both glowed purple slightly for a few seconds. Then the copper one lost its lustre which the steel one gained. I then handed the copper one back.

The tags worked off of one’s magic signature to function as security kind of like biometrics on your phone. I then attached it back to a chain I had around my neck and tucked it beneath my cloak. I then raised my face covering and bowed slightly before walking off.

I then headed to get a drink since that was exhilarating. After that I went back to the guild and picked up an escort quest to the town city of Sloeham. It was for a single carriage asking for one or two steel ranks to escort him to the town for a three-day one-way journey. It paid one gold, two silver and seemed like it would be easy. It left in the early morning so I jumped back to earth to get a good night’s rest.

5