Chapter 27
1k 4 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 27

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

"Champions gather round, gather round. We are about to begin," she said to the crowd, and there was movement immediately as a very familiar faces began to make way to the front. Edward Wright was wearing a classic black and white tuxedo with crisp lapels and a simple white shirt. It was a classic look, unlike the look of his date.

The Beauxbaton champions romance with Edward had been one of Hogwarts' biggest scandals. Edward, who had, at least according to rumors, never dated anyone in Hogwarts, was suddenly found romancing around with the French champion.

She was wearing a very dark purple dress that shimmered slightly in the light with amethyst earrings and a necklace, probably to match the boy in question's unique eye color.

She smiled as she saw them come to the front.

"You dress up quite well, Wright," and the boy smiled as he shrugged.

"Thank you, professor, you look very radiant as well," he said with a mischievous little smile, making her shake her head.

"You look lovely as well, Miss Delacour," she complimented his date, who nodded gracefully.

"Thank you for the compliment, professor," and Minerva began to look for the other couple. Instead of the expected three, there were only two couples from the champion, given that two of them were going together.

Though despite her efforts, she could find no trace of Drumstrang's champion. She then turned to face Wright once more.

"Have you seen Mr.Krum?" she asked, a bit worried about his absence though Edward's reply relieved her.

"Yeah, he was in the back waiting for his date," Edward replied as he turned to look into the crowd as well. Just as she was about to request Edward to go and bring the last champion here, he suddenly spoke up.

"There he is!" he said while pointing in a specific direction, and indeed someone was moving through the gathered crowd.

Viktor Krum walked forward slowly as his date followed him. Hermione Granger was turning heads everywhere she walked, and McGonagall was surprised to see the fuzzy-haired student all dolled up and dressed in a proper dress.

Well, good for her.

"Hi, Professor," the Gryffindor greeted her as the champions finally gathered at the front. She just smiled and finally spoke up about the program.

"Now that all three of you are here, we are ready to open the Ball. The champions will lead the opening and be the first to enter."

Her announcement was answered with nods, and she finally opened up the door. The sound of the music permeated through the halls as the four students entered the Hall together, and their feet adapted to the rhythm of the music.

There were murmurs of excitement as the waltz began, and McGonagall watched as the two couples began to twirl.

0000

FLEUR DELACOUR

The ballroom was filled with soft strains of the waltz as they twirled and dipped across the floor. Fleur's almost black dress swirled around her legs as she turned and dipped in Edward's arms. They were close enough that she could feel his heartbeat as they moved through the steps.

They were lost in their own little world, almost like it was just the two of them alone as she taught him how to dance for the first time. However, those times seemed so long ago now. She looked up and saw him looking at her with his amethyst eyes. He was not wearing his glasses, and she could feel the intensity of his gaze.

Their steps began to slow down as the music entered its final symphony, and the waltz came to an end.

"People would be surprised that a year ago you couldn't dance to save your life," she joked, and he only leaned in closer and whispered his response in her ear.

"Well, what can I say? I had a masterful teacher," Fleur blushed at the compliment. And then she felt the dance floor fill up as they were joined by the rest of the students. The music began to pick up as well. She smiled and spoke up again.

"So, want to go again?" she asked, and she felt his arm around her tighten as he replied in an eager tone.

"With you, is that even a question?" and then they picked up the pace once more as their feet matched the rising tempo as they were joined by various other couples.

It was time for the second dance.

Followed by many more. Many more.

0000

HARRY POTTER

Harry adjusted the bowtie once more as he sat down with his date for the night. Initially, Harry had not thought about going to the Ball and had not asked anyone. However, he had wanted to ask Hermione, and then she had been asked by Viktor Krum.

Harry had felt betrayed for a second but later realized that he was the one to blame. In the end, he decided to go with Parvati from his class.

"What do they even see in him? He looks like such a ponce?" Ron spoke up in a snide irritated tone from the side as the redhead pointed towards a very specific Slytherin who was now dancing with Hermione.

Though Harry did not have to reply as the answer came from Padme, Ron's date.

"Well, he does know how to lead a dance for one," Padme said.

"And he is pretty handsome," finished Parvati.

Harry would agree with them. While Malfoy pruned around like a peacock, Edward dressed up nicely. He tended to mix things up from the muggle side from what Harry had observed.

"Well, he might as well be a blood purist at this rate cuz' he sure as hell behaves like them," Ron complained, making Harry frown.

"That was quite rude, plus why are you so obsessed with him?" Harry found himself asking. And Ron looked at him as if he had asked a very dumb question.

"Come on, mate. Look at him. He has always been trying to blend in with their lot. It looks like he is a frickin pure blood with the way he behaves," and Harry simply shook his head.

"No, he doesn't. The dress he and his date were wearing were both Muggle. I have seen them in a fashion magazine somewhere," commented Padme in a bit annoyed tone.

"Plus, what's being a muggle-born got to do with his manners," Parvati added.

Ron just rolled his eyes. And Harry could see their annoyance.

"Well, I have had enough of this. I am going to find out what Lee and the twins are up to. They were planning something pretty special for the party," and with that, he was gone leaving him alone with two twins.

"Please don't tell the professors about this," he suddenly turned and requested to the Patil twins, who looked at each other and shrugged sure.

"Sure," and they settled down into the chairs once more.

"So, Harry, have you met Sirius Black yet? The newspaper mentioned that he is your relative of some kind," Padme suddenly asked him, and Harry had been dreading this. He had been bombarded with questions regarding this after Sirius's trial news.

The Ministry had awarded Sirius a hefty monetary recompense for their mistake, not that he needed it given the value of the Black family vaults.

Harry had thought that he was rich, though looking at the piles of Galleons and gold in the Black vaults had given him a new perspective on wealth.

"Yeah, we met for a bit though he is still in St. Mungos for treatment," this was a story they had drummed up so Sirius could avoid the press for some time. But the part about him still recovering was true.

"Oh yeah, he was in Azkaban for a lot of years. That must have been tough," Parvati said sympathetically, and he could only nod.

"Today, I read that the Ministry wants to prosecute him for escaping from Azkaban, is that true?" Padme suddenly asked, and Harry could only nod.

The Minister, in his all encompassing wisdom, had wanted to try Sirius for escaping Azkaban though Sirius had told him how his lawyer had shut that down in a second.

All this was being done at the behest of a single man, and Harry looked around and found Malfoy glaring at him from a corner. Harry ground his teeth as he saw the blonde.

Luscious Malfoy. The man who was pulling Fudge's strings. He had somehow convinced him not to allow any new cases to reopen and had escaped the law once more.

"Honestly, they must be quite mad, but how did he even escape from Azkaban? Isn't it supposed to be unescapable," Parvati questioned, and harry, in his trance, replied without thinking.

"Oh, he turned into a dog and swam through the water," only to realize seconds later the mistake he had made. He turned to face the two girls who were now looking at him with wide eyes.

"Can you please keep it to yourself?" and they both nodded.

But what Harry had missed was the little beetle hanging around his table. And tomorrow's headlines were going to be very intriguing.

0000

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Albus walked up the stairs to his office. It was now quite late after the Ball, which in his mind had been a great success. Dumbledore felt quite content watching the students enjoy their school life and have some memorable times. For him, there was nothing more important than providing a safe and inclusive environment for the bright young minds of the magical world.

He finally reached his office and found it already occupied. Severus Snape stood beside the wall with a scowl on his face. The man had not participated in the Ball despite Dumbleodore's insistence.

"Severus, it is good to see you, though I must say you have missed quite a party," Dumbledore said with a small chuckle as he walked towards his chair. Though it seems the cheer was lost on the potions master.

"I am sure I haven't missed much, plus I had more important things to focus on," the man said as he took a seat as well. Dumbledore simply sighed. It seems the past would haunt some to their graves.

"So, tell me have you found something about Miss Granger's past?" Dumbledore had asked Severus about Regulus, given they were quite close in their time at school, and then had both joined Tom.

Though in the end, both would rebel against him when they would realize the mistakes they had made, but it would be too late.

Severus nodded at that and gave Dumbledore a file.

"Yes, I was able to track down a lead. Regulus had a friend in the school, a half-blood witch named, Josephine Presley. She died in the same hospital as the one in which Miss Granger was born. All this would take place two days before his alleged disappearance," and Dumbledore skimmed over the file as the story was beginning to tie up.

"And it seems that she was related to Jane Granger. They were first cousins. So, perhaps that was the reason she was left in their care," Dumbledore reasoned, and Snape nodded.

"Yes, that is the likely explanation, and there was a report of intra-uterine death on Josephine's records. Perhaps, Regulus simply altered the memories and made Miss Hermione seem like their own child." Severus concluded, making Dumbledore lament the fate of the Grangers. Though it seems that she was indeed related to the Grangers, if that was a consolation.

He placed the file back on the table and began to think about all this.

"Are you sure Regulus never mentioned anything to you. After all both of you were affiliated with the same group at school," Dumbledore questioned once more much to Severus's annoyance who snapped.

"Never. As I remember answering the last ten times," making Dumbledore pull back slightly.

"It just intrigues me that he was able to keep all this quiet for so long," and it was true. Such a secret had remained hidden for more than a decade and would have for even more time had things not gone the way they had.

"You seem to have a misconception about our group. We didn't exactly hang around as pals. Plus, Regulus was always quite secretive and quiet, unlike his idiotic brother. Truthfully, he remained a mystery to everyone till his disappearance," and Dumbledore could feel slight sadness in Severus's tone at this. However, it was gone as he continued.

"Though, I do believe that I have some rather concerning news regarding this," Snape suddenly said and began to roll up his sleeve, making Dumbledore feel concerned.

"The mark is beginning to burn, and I don't need to tell you what this means," and Dumbledore nodded. It seems Tom was beginning to gain power.

Though, Dumbledore hadn't exactly been sitting leisurely as well. He had also been researching Horcruxes and had made quite some progress.

Plus, there was also his secret helper to take into account.

"Hmm, that will be enough, Severus. But if there is any kind of contact, I want you to inform me immediately," and the potions masters nodded as he straightened up his sleeve and began to get up.

"And thank you for doing this, Severus," he added, making the man stop in his tracks. Though with his back turned, he replied in his usual gaunt tone.

"As long as you keep your end of the bargain, I am yours to command."

And with that, he walked out of his office, leaving Dumbledore alone in his office. He leaned back into the chair as his mind thought about all he had learned.

After a while, he would pick up his wand and wave it over a drawer on his desk to reveal a secret drawer. Dumbledore would open it up and take out a very worn-out book. Its yellowish pages and torn-out look spoke of its age.

On the cover, a simple title had been embroidered.

Diary of the Soul

~Gellert Grindewald~

Dumbledore would stare at the book for some time before he finally whispered into the darkened room.

"It seems to me like fate wants us to meet, old friend."

0000

BOOM! Hermione is Regulus' daughter. I am not going too much into the circumstances of her birth right now.

36