Chapter Fourteen : It’s More Lively
952 5 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"H-hello?" Reina said while giving December a confused look, to which December couldn't exactly say anything because up until she was logged out by the Goddess of Night Ephy, she didn't know Vanity could appear in her world.

"Reina! December's told me a bit about you! You're awesome you know? I'm glad she has you as well!" Vanity crawled off the bed on all fours, and righted herself before she touched the ground and hopped to Reina with a grin.

"If someone with bad intentions met my sister, I might not be able to resist eating them!" Vanity said with a low growl, one that made December's body tense momentarily as she felt a sense of predatory intention surging from Vanity in that moment.

"S-sister?" December said trying to pull Vanity's attention back to the current situation, only to have Vanity leap and tackle her into the bed again while laughing, her peals of happy laughter like chiming bells.

"Aww! You called me sister without much resistance this time!" Vanity said while December weakly tried to resist the hands that tickled her sides lightly.

"W-wait! Vanity!" December couldn't help but laugh as Vanity relentlessly tickled her until she felt it was enough, leaving December looking as if the world had betrayed her.

"Oh! Right Reina! Now that I'm here, you're not in charge of the villa anymore." Vanity said lightly and blinked when she sensed a pang of anger surging from December.

"Oh calm down sister, if she manages the villa, can she watch us? Originally the job was to maintain the villa, but now she's simply our babysitter sister." Vanity said and felt December's anger lessen slightly.

"Of course, managing the villa is easier than managing us, so you'll be paid hm... fifty dollars more an hour, with overtime included. My sister is fond of y-" December crawled over and clamped a hand over Vanity's mouth with wide eyes then jerked away while wiping her hand on the bed covers.

"What? Aren't you very happy with Reina?" Vanity said and then laughed again. Between the two of them, December was easy to tease, and she could only feel smug knowing December wasn't actually annoyed with her.

"Yes, Reina is good." December normally would have tried to deflect, but decided to voice her true thoughts, even if it made her cheeks warm and her eyes a bit anxious.

"It's nice to meet you Vanity. Good morning December." Reina said, her eyes constantly flitting between December and her twin sister Vanity.

Both were identical to each other, but in the brief time they'd spoken, Reina felt she could tell the two apart easily. Vanity spoke with a cheerfulness and confidence December lacked, while December was more introverted and quiet.

"Well, I was hired to help with the villa, I don't think I deserve a raise for doing less than before..." Reina said while trying to see the reactions the twins showed.

December's eyes dimmed slightly while Vanity's eyes widened and she looked at Reina with a hint of disbelief and then at December, then crawled towards her sister and whispered.

"I'm out of ideas sis! Why would she say no? If she manages the villa too, she won't be able to play with us all the time..." Vanity said and then plopped back on the bed with dead eyes staring at the ceiling.

"She can hear you i-idiot!" December wasn't sure where she got the courage from but seeing Vanity's slightly shocked eyes staring at her, she felt a bit happy.

"Aaaaaah! My sister called me an idiot! Reina, look, December was taught badly by someone! She called me an idiot! My poor little sister is now a bad girl!" Vanity said while rolling around and flailing randomly.

"Okay, I'm sure she didn't mean it Vanity." Reina said with a slight chuckle. While December gave off a pampered and helpless feel to her, she worried her family had neglected her or pampered her too much.

But from Vanity's and December's interactions, they wasn't any sense of alienation or bitterness between them. Both Vanity's and December's pink red eyes with no pupils stared at her, Vanity's eyes becoming crescents she she laughed.

"Of course she didn't! I am the big sister! If there's an idiot, shouldn't it be the little sister?" Vanity said, her lips curling into a grin when December's eyes rolled and she pushed her aside.

"I'm hungry..." December said while Vanity raised her shirt and patted her stomach, and then nodded her head and gave Reina a look.

"I want to cook too! I'll show my little sister what a chef is!" Vanity clambered out of bed and pulled December along, both following Reina downstairs to the kitchen.

December sat at the countertop, while Vanity checked the fridge and began taking out supplies. December looked at her twin, then at the ingredients and then placed a hand on her forehead silently.

Through the link, she could feel Vanity's confusion as to what she was supposed to do with the ingredients, but Vanity simply ignored the fact she was clueless and began throwing things into a bowl.

"Um, Vanity you need to peel the skin off of the banana. No Vanity, the stove isn't on yet, you need to turn it on. Vanity... that isn't even food, actually why are you trying to cook that?" In the end, Reina stood in front of the stove making banana pancakes while December and Vanity sat on the stools behind the counter.

"Why would you put the scissors into the pan?" December asked curiously and felt Vanity's embarrassment through the link and smiled when Vanity turned her head and snorted.

"I thought it would look cool if the pancakes had the scissors shape!" December rubbed her forehead and turned to look at Vanity's side profile and realized why she received a bunch of looks yesterday.

Vanity was beautiful, not quite fully mature, but not childish either. Her smooth skin was pale as snow, but it wasn't as sickly as December's skin was now.

Even during the preparation of the meal, December could feel her throat aching, going from a barely noticeable pang to a slightly consistent ache.

"Sis, you'll need to take care of that soon, we both do." Vanity turned to December and said. Vanity's clear eyes were more serious than before, but also held hints of worry in them.

"I know..." December answered with a slight huff, then gave Vanity a look of apology, the huff not annoyance at her sister, but at how to find a stable source of blood.

"You have one more day before it becomes bad, and I have two." Vanity said while counting on her fingers, then gave her sister a look full of bad intentions.

"Do you know on the fourth day, your hair will dry out as your body pulls what little energy is in them back to keep fueling your bodies operat-" December covered Vanity's mouth with a hand, giving her a dry look.

"Alright alright. Sorry, but I don't want you to be surprised is all. Okay, how about this, I won't until you do." Vanity looked at Reina who was fixing the plates with her back towards them and smoothly bit her wrist, her teeth slicing through her skin and then held her wrist over the sink.

Dark red blood mixed with the water and flowed down the drain, while December looked at Vanity worriedly, taking her arm and sighing in relief when the bite wound began to knit together slowly.

Vanity rolled her eyes, but unlike a few minutes before, her skin wasn't smooth as before, and appeared more chalky and sickly than before.

"I bled myself a bit, now we're about the same on needs. I wouldn't be a good big sister if you suffered and I watched, would I?" Vanity said while snorting, feeling December's own worry for her through the link.

"Excuse us!" Both Vanity and December got up and ran to the nearest bathroom and began dry heaving, their bodies refusing to digest food with no actual sustenance for their bodies before Reina could place their plates in front of them.

"I'd f-forgotten how uncomfortable this feels..." Vanity croaked from her spot on the floor, hugging the toilet and gagging despite her body being devoid of anything.

"I'm going to d-die!" December grumbled as she supported herself on the sink, her legs almost refusing to support her body.

"It's normally not this fast, as we could use Mana to prolong our functions between feeding, but here where there's none, when we run low, we start taking b-blood from redundant areas..." Vanity explained and then continued.

"Most of our organs aren't needed, only our heart. So our bodies take the blood from different places, like the um stomach and other things." Vanity said while plopping on the floor with an expression of hopelessness.

"That's so d-dumb!" December protested while she too plopped down and sat down taking deep breaths, only she realized her breaths weren't very deep.

"I thought it w-was four days until we b-began being drained, but t-this sucks!" When the sudden pains faded, December realized she could breathe again, but she wasn't able to take deep breaths, as if her lungs weren't functioning properly while Vanity kept stuttering while talking.

"V-Vanity... I can't t-talk p-properly..." December said with a muffled voice, her words sounding labored even after the pain had receded.

"I k-know. Our l-lungs were d-deemed redundant s-so while they s-still operate, the ability to f-function is r-reduced by a l-lot.." Vanity said while getting up and pulling December to her feet.

"In t-the end, w-would we die without drinking..?" December asked while her voice struggled to return to normal while Vanity rolled her eyes.

"No, in the Light Faction, depriving us of blood and l-letting us starve was something they did..." Vanity said, her voice hitching less and less, but a few stutters remained when she spoke normally.

"Oh, but a Duchess found out and o-obliterated the place and allowed our captured people to heal." Vanity said, splashing water on her face and drying it, then dried December's face and dragged her out the bathroom.

Unlike before, the strength was a little less than before. While a human body would starve but maintain all it's bodily functions, a Blood Race's body would shut down organs it deemed useless when it lacked blood to fuel it.

"This smells g-great!" Vanity said excitedly, while December felt her heart clench hearing the hitch in Vanity's voice, knowing full well she could've lasted until tomorrow if she didn't jump into the pit with December. 

"It's good! That's what the cinnamon w-was for! I thought it was something else..." Vanity said randomly while chewing, and sensing December's gloominess, prodded a piece of banana pancake on to the fork and pushed it against her pale lips.

"Taste it! It's s-super good you k-know?" Vanity said while nodding when December bit the pancake off the fork, then began to eat slowly while her mind raced to find a solution to the blood problem.

51