Chapter Twenty-One : An Otherwordly Chill
735 23 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

December frowned and looked at the remnant of what was Madison, what remained of her existence after her death over a millennia ago and reached out a hand and held hers, then she felt herself waking up.

"Hmm." December sat up, her icy blue eyes squinting at the evening skies above, the scent of blood and smoke carrying in the breeze.

Raising a hand, she touched her face, then looked at Vanity who was in the skies fighting against someone, then at the people shooting spells and projectiles at her from the ground.

December slowly got to her feet, the flame barrier Vanity had erected sputtered out as her Ice Mana mixed with it. She absently inspected her hand, recalling the pain she felt when the arrow had pierced it.

She looked at Vanity's opponent, tilting her head from time to time, then at the people on the ground. Her eyebrows raised slightly when she felt her kind's blood, but only Vanity and herself were the only Blood Clan present.

"One of those people who used their blood maybe?" December then looked around, held out a hand and a sword formed entirely made of Mana, a mixture of Ice Mana with Nightmare Mana mixed in.

The sword was nearly fifteen feet long and the blade four feet thick, looking undoubtedly heavy, yet it also made one feel cold all over.

December dragged the sword behind her, walking towards the town, where she could feel that presence. The blade left a deep slice in the ground, yet it sliced through it with no resistance, no matter dirt or stone.

Ever so often, December would look up and watch Vanity's fights, then focus on the town, which drew nearer and nearer, the people outside gathered launching their attacks still focused on the skies.

"Excuse me." December interrupted a mage casting a spell, tapping lightly on his shoulder with her left hand, her right hand holding the hilt of her giant sword.

"Do you know if any of the Nobles of your kingdom is in the town?" December's icy blue eyes, white hair, and pale skin meant she wasn't human, but her glinting fangs made the man change his target from the sky to the person behind him.

"You don't know?" December said, her head tilting from side to side, then she shrugged and walked past him, the blade carving a line in the ground.

"Please stop shooting spells as well, that's my sister." December didn't turn around, and kept walking towards the town. Seeing himself being ignored so blatantly, he raised his hands, then his mind became chaotic as he saw the blade which had been on the ground a moment before slashing towards him.

He could feel nothing but endless coldness in a dark place, and no matter how much he screamed, he only got colder as he descended deeper into the darkness.

Then his existence ended abruptly, as his body fell in two halves, his blood freezing before it could splash out of his body. December looked at the body, then continued towards the town.

"You! Wha- Blood Clan! Kill it!" A man shouted, holding a sword and charged up to meet December, who looked at him, slowly lifted her sword with her right hand, and held it horizontally.

Their blades clashed, and his expression was determined to fight her. December looked at him with curiosity, then moved her hand and forced him backwards a few meters.

"Why do you hate us so much? We couldn't have done anything to you since we've always secluded ourselves." Hearing December's question, the man scoffed and raised his sword, charging again.

"Die!" Bringing his sword down, he felt a sense of deathly coldness, and then the massive sword simply moved forward, going through both his armor and his body.

"Sorry, dying isn't pleasant." December twisted her wrist and slashed through his body, stepping over it while moving forward, looking at the surrounding humans.

"Are you also going to bother m-" Before she could get the words out, a spell exploded around her. With a slight wave of her sword, she slashed through the Mana and kept walking.

"So you will? Then I apologize." December then vanished, reappearing and slashing down with her sword, cutting most of them in half, from top to bottom, then let her sword fall to the ground, looking up at Vanity with a hint of curiosity.

"Hm." December walked towards the town's walls, her mind recalling the walls of the village that had burned over thirteen hundred years ago.

"It's moving?" December slashed out several times with her sword, the Mana reinforced wall then crumbling like rotten wood as she stepped through the rubble.

"I can sense a lot of people?" December said as she walked down a street, the scent of Humans thick in the air. It seems they didn't have time evacuate either.

Jumping, she leapt over a row of houses and landed in front of a carriage, placing a hand on the horse's head and rubbing it gently but firmly, keeping the horse from moving forward.

"I know you're inside, please come down." December said softly, her icy blue eyes still looking at the horse. The door opened and a few people got out, holding weapons, and one who wore luxurious clothing and who had a feeling similar to the Blood Clan.

"Blood Clan? Do you know what you're doing? This is a declaration of war!" The man said with his furious expression, but December's eyes which were empty became a little lively.

"War, no? There won't be a war." December said with certainty, then raised her sword and slashed the tethers of the horse, letting it run off while looking at the group.

"Can you answer my question honestly? I've had what feels like eternity to ask myself, but I just never knew." December asked with a curious voice.

"When you drained the blood of our people, did you sleep peacefully afterwards?" December's words were met with a mocking look from the man who sneered.

"Why wouldn't we? In truth, the thought of having to use the blood of a creature like yours was disgusting, but the benefits outweighed my disgust. As for sleeping peacefully, do you think you creatures are people?" The man's eyes were full of a sense of superiority.

"I see." December nodded tilting her head and looking at the others besides him and asking them as well. "Do you also agree with him?"

"So you all feel we should die, for existing. Our patron designed our race, if you had issues, you could have taken it up with the Goddess of Night, instead you slaughtered people who simply offended you by existing." 

December then flipped her sword and stabbed it into the ground, sinking the blade halfway, then looking around at the town and surroundings.

"None of your people have our blood, so it was used for those you deemed important? It's a shame." December shook her head, the glint in her eyes fading to emptiness.

"I asked my questions, thank you for giving me an answer." December then slowly began twisting the blade and wedged it firmly in the ground.

"I feel like I should apologize, but I can't figure out why?" December said with confusion, then her sword emitted a flash of light.

"While it's not fair, nor just, it's what's needed. I'm sure you understand, because you needed our blood, you killed us, and now I need it back, so I can only kill you." December said with a serious expression.

"Kill me? Just you? Unlike you, a creature with nothing but lifespan, we humans have mastered our skills in the centuries we've gained!" His guard handed him a sword and he held it lightly, a playful smile on his face.

"I didn't come to fight." December said with a frown, then pointed at her sword in the ground. "See, I won't fight you."

"A coward? Look, humans were always the truly superior ones!" The man scoffed and raised his sword at December, his expression mocking.

"Coward? If it were before, no matter how badly I'd suffered, I might have just endured, maybe? But now it's different." December then began tilting her head from side to side, looking at the man before her.

"I know most of the people of your kingdom may not have been involved, but I can't really figure out why it matters. Just like this town... Do you know, Madison also wanted to see the world outside her town?" December said with a tinge of sadness.

"But she didn't get to see it." A sword pierced through the air, and December raised her hand and allowed it to pierce her palm, looking at the man and then shaking her head.

"I did say this wasn't a fight. My purpose wasn't to fight you, please enjoy the last moments you have. Before you die, you'll only experience unending pain that lasts for... maybe forever?" December said softly then slid the sword blade out of her palm.

"Do you know, while I asked you my questions, I forced everyone into a Nightmare and had them invade alongside the humans back then?" December didn't even look at her healing palm.

"And just like you said, it seems we aren't people to you. I thought it was a bad apple or maybe a tree? Not the forest." The man felt the air becoming colder and colder and his heart began thumping wildly.

"If the forest is a problem, while regrettable, you need to cut it down. I can't burn you like you did them, but do you know, at certain temperatures, the cold also burns?" December said kindly, then her sword shattered and a wave of Mana expanded outwards for ten kilometers in all directions and the town was shrouded in a hazy mist.

"Bye." December said, turning away from the man and his guards, all of their skin began cracking as blood seeped out, dying them all red.

In the houses, skies, and underground, the Mana flash froze their skin while leaving almost imperceptible slices, from which their warm blood flowed out.

They were conscious of the blood they lost, but unlike the Blood Clan's blood which was preserved, theirs simply pooled on the ground.

"Oh." December crafted another sword and extended her wings, flying up to Vanity and raising the sword before her opponent could react, stabbed him in the back, then waved her sword, allowing him to fall back to the ground in two halves.

"You're up?" Vanity said after a moment of surprise, then she looked down at the misty town below, feeling the presences of everyone slowly dwindling away.

"You killed them? All of them?" Vanity approached December and held her hands, looking into her eyes with worry.

"I can't feel anything from the link?" Vanity said with a hint of disbelief, while December looked at her blankly, then at the town below.

"Do you want to go to the next one?" December asked calmly, but before she could fly off, Vanity grabbed her hand and her eyes widened.

"It's not that your hiding it, there's really nothing?!" Vanity could feel it when December looked down at the town, where everyone was slowly dying.

"Nothing? No, they'll feel everything our people did before they died, isn't that quite fair?" December said with uncertainty, looking at Vanity with confusion.

"You feel... worried?" December said while looking at Vanity's expressions. Vanity took a deep breath and pulled December into a tight hug.

"Sis, what happened to you?" Vanity couldn't feel anything from December until she looked at her, at Vanity's face and then felt confusion. 

"Well a lot, but we should help our people." December offered, but the more she spoke, the more Vanity felt as if her heart were breaking.

"December?" Vanity asked softly, drawing December's icy blue eyes to her own reddish orange ones. December looked at Vanity blankly, then tilted her head again.

"You don't want to?" December asked and then looked at Vanity. Vanity also looked at December, because through the link, she felt nothing but a hint of coldness.

She didn't know December had woken up, because previously she could feel December's emotions, happiness through despair, but now, it was as if the link only worked one way.

"No, no. December let's go see mom?" Vanity suggested, but December's empty eyes looked at Vanity, then she shook her head.

"Not until we let them rest big sister." December said gently, pulling her hand out of Vanity's and then flying off, her wings almost a clear icy blue mixed with black.

"December!" Vanity shouted, her anger now giving way to panic. December looked back at Vanity and then frowned, tilting her head while flying forward.

"Do you not want to?" December asked again, not understanding what it was Vanity panicking about. Vanity also felt December's confusion, and flew to her, holding her arms again.

"Sis, we need to go see mom, or Cearis and Ephy? You nee-" Vanity felt December's hand gently brush hers off, then December shook her head.

"We need to let our people rest sister, they deserve it." December then flapped her wings and turned into a beam of icy blue light, her senses scanning the world below for people.

42