Chapter 28
163 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Legacy was a mysterious thing in this world. It  resonated with other souls, especially if other souls killed the host. That was how everyone got their share of Legacy's experience points. When the white mist came out of the snake's body, it split into four wisps and entered their bodies.

[You have leveled up!]

Followed by the system's message, his body recovered to the peak condition. Even the negative afflictions disappeared too. However, there was something special about his level up this time.

[Congratulations! You have learned Ice Attribute Affinity!]

The system message said. Someone could learn an ability from the Legacy, but it was a super rare chance, so Jake got lucky this time.

[Name: Jake Butler

Species: Human

Level: 6

Talent: Center Shift (E), Akashic Eyes (S), Overcome (F)

Strength: 35 (C) || Endurance: 47 (A)

Agility: 41 (B) || Perception: 43 (A)

Intelligent: 56 (S) || Wisdom: 56 (S)]

[Ability: Center Shift (E), Akashic Eyes (S), Overcome (F), Butler Style (B), Pain Resistance (D), Mental Fortitude (E), Meditation (E), Ice Attribute Affinity (F).]

[Ice Attribute Affinity] increased his affinity toward ice-related abilities. It could become useful to him, but Jake didn't plan to focus on expertise in this ability, but he would definitely take advantage of it.

Jake was satisfied with his level up. Not only him, his classmates leveled up too and recovered to their peak conditions. Reina woke up after passing out; Warren's mana pool was full again; Cody didn't have any change, but he leveled up too.

But leveling up wasn't the only benefit they had gotten from fighting a mid boss. The entire corpse of the snake was a treasure. They were aware of it, but there was a problem. None of them could dissect the corpse properly. Maybe Reina could, but it would consume all her mana.

"Then, what should we do with the corpse, Butler?" Warren asked.

"I guess we'll let it be for now. When we are done conquering this gate, we will take the corpse out."

"Why don't we find the teachers and ask them to help us? I am sure they are inside this gate too," Warren suggested.

"We don't need to find them. Like I said, this is one of the main rooms. People will enter this room in order to go to the next room. We just have to wait."

Jake and the company decided to wait for people to enter this room, so they came back to the two injured ladies.

When they arrived at their base, they saw two goblins carrying Anastasia and Olympia on their shoulders.

"Let go of my friends!" Reina activated [Aura Magic Ignition] and chased them, but the goblins rode on wolves and ran faster than her.

Jake was going to help too. He used [Center Shifts] to make his halberd float, and he prepared to shoot it at the goblins.

Jake was ready to fire his halberd when the goblins reached the tunnel, but a giant figure suddenly came out of the tunnel and hindered the goblins. The bald man had scars on his face, adding scary points to his face, but he was undoubtedly a human. He was none other than Titan.

Titan's ability, [Gigantification], allowed him to become a giant or enlarge some parts of his body. He turned into a giant and enclosed the tunnel. After that, he reached out and snatched the ladies from the goblins.

"Bad goblins. How dare you kidnap my friends! You shall be punished!"

Titan put down his friends gently and faced the goblins again. However, before he could fight them, Reina slashed the first goblin along with his wolf mount in half, making him squeak in fear. He turned around to fight the second goblin, but Jake impaled the goblin's head with his halberd and killed him.

As the second goblin fell from his mount, there was only the second wolf left. Titan was about to catch it, but the creature was too fast for him. In the end, the second wolf passed him by and left through the tunnel.

Titan scratched his bald head and apologized, "Sorry, all. I was too slow."

Everyone approached Titan and praised him for his actions. However, Cody didn't join them and only looked at them from afar while putting on a guilty expression.

After Titan's arrival, people kept coming to this room just as Jake predicted. In just thirty minutes, every class A and B gathered in one place.

Jake sighed in relief when he found out no one failed the test. He was confident in class A's survival skill, but he had been worried about class B. Luckily, Marilyn was taking care of them. He heard she had looked for her classmates as soon as she had entered the gate. She really had the quality of a good leader.

Currently, Marilyn and Lisa Machbell were healing Olympia and Anastasia, so he couldn't bother her. He decided to wait for her before discussing the plan to defeat the last boss.

Jake had free time, so he wanted to chill around first. With these people, they could take care of monsters if they came to this room.

As he was looking for a spot to be alone, Jake saw Cody sitting alone. Most people gathered as a group, but he chose to sit alone while putting on a sad expression.

Jake wondered what happened and decided to approach him. He sat beside him and asked, "Does something matter?" Cody was quiet, seemingly hesitant to tell his problem. "What? If you have a problem, just talk."

Under Jake's pressure, Cody still shook his head. "No. It's just... I don't know. I feel useless."

"What do you mean?"

"Because of me, Claymore and Remington almost got kidnapped. I couldn't even move when I faced the giant snake. I can't do anything."

"Oh, that...."

Before Jake could finish his words, Cody added, "Can I really become stronger?"

Jake was annoyed by his interruption, so he flicked his ear, making Cody look at him with anger. "Don't sweat the small stuff," he said. "You saved me and Warren, buying us time for Reina to arrive, so you are useful. As for your concern about your strength, just stop comparing yourself with other people. Each person has their own talents, but even so, not everyone can become the best in their fields. However, you can become the best version of yourself, so stop comparing yourself with other people."

To cheer Cody up, Jake added, "And look. You can use your [Shadow Stealth] freely now. Aren't you improving and becoming stronger? Just focus and be grateful for that."

"Am I really becoming stronger? Can I become stronger than I am now?"

Jake bumped his fist against his shoulder. "Look. If you don't believe in yourself, at least believe in people who believe in you. I believe you, man. And you must understand that I am not the type who likes to spit lies. Believe in me who believes in you."

"I guess so. I will try." Cody wiped his eyes. He was on the verge of tears. "Thank you, Butler."

Jake smiled. "Don't sweat the small stuff. Come on. Marilyn must have done her job. We are going to discuss a plan to defeat the last boss." He stood up and extended his hand toward him. "We need your ability, Cody. Let's go."

Cody smiled and accepted his hand. Then, they came back to the crowd together.

Luckily, Marilyn was done with her healing job, so he immediately called everyone to gather and discuss the plan to defeat the last boss.

In the discussion, Jake divided the students into a damage dealer group, tanker group, and support group. Damage dealers dealt damage to the boss, while tankers kept the aggro on them. As for support, they could do whatever they wanted without hindering the other groups' movements.

Even though the instruction on the support group was obscure, Jake felt they would be fine. After all, he appointed Marilyn as the leader of the support group. With her leadership skills and intelligence, he knew she could adapt to the battlefield. He trusted her with his back.

As for Jake, he was the leader of the tanker group. He didn't want to dictate his quality as a leader, but no one protested when he became the leader, and that alone was enough proof of his competency.

Lastly, Jake appointed Reina as the leader of the damage dealer group. She boasted the highest firepower among all students. It wasn't an exaggeration to say she was currently the strongest person among junior students. Even if Jake had a rematch with her, he couldn't win the fight. Not only was her ability the best, she also had exceptional battle instinct. He was sure she could command the damage dealers properly.

After dividing the students into groups, they were ready to challenge the last boss. Marilyn ordered Cody, who was also a support member, to scout the last boss's room. She also cast a few support spells for him before he went out.

As they waited for Cody to come back, the two teachers appeared on the top of a certain boulder, and all the students paid attention to them.

"Hello, all. You all have done a good job," Mr. Whitehound said cheerfully while waving at them. Many people asked about his whereabouts all these times, but he only shrugged them with a laugh.

"Relax, all. We were just doing Samaritan's job. We were collecting all the corpses you have killed and of course... When you guys come out of this gate, I will distribute them all to you. Hehe, no need to thank me. I am a good teacher after all."

The students looked at him and Ms. Green with admiration. However, before they could express their gratitude, Cody came back and said, "I have gathered information about the last room! The last boss is an ogroid! I couldn't see his level, so his level must be higher than 14. But...."

Cody took a deep breath before continuing, "He isn't alone! Several orcs are guarding him!"

5