Chapter 1 : The Begining
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Year 2077.

A war between nations broke out three years ago. Three years later, both sides are locked in an endless stalemate. This conflict has claimed millions of lives already. With neither side willing to back down, the fighting continues unabated. Both countries are desperate to gain control of the new energy source known as "Sphere," which powers the weapons used by each army. Meanwhile, the civilian population is caught in the middle of this deadly struggle, suffering the consequences. As a result, the number of casualties grows steadily despite the fact that the two opposing armies fight well outside the cities. There is no end in sight.

The Osmium Union is a superpower located in the southern hemisphere of the planet. They have the largest landmass of any nation, with an estimated population exceeding 1 billion people. Their military technology dwarfs anything else currently extant anywhere across the Earth's surface, including that of any other nation. Osmium has also developed advanced weaponry powered by the sphere's energy, giving them a decisive advantage. However, they refuse to deploy their forces inside enemy territory. Instead, they maintain strict neutrality toward the ongoing conflicts raging elsewhere. While this policy seems reasonable enough given their technological superiority, it leaves them vulnerable to attacks from neighboring states.

While Osmium has kept the peace for many years, tensions are mounting among their neighbors. Countries like Aspiania, Netraurhiel, Treasia, and Uwhary are becoming increasingly concerned that the superpower might eventually turn its back on them. When news reached them of the recent attack launched by the Skoena Federation, the governments of these four countries united behind the common threat posed by Osmium.

***

Weeks pass quickly during wartime, especially when you work twelve hours a day. That was how Arman spent his days, working tirelessly alongside the rest of the crew on the biggest "Sphere" generator in the country. The work was monotonous and repetitive. He didn't mind the hard labor. What bothered him was the silence. All around, soldiers milled about doing various jobs, but none spoke a word. Not even the sound of footsteps echoed through the hallways. Everyone seemed afraid to speak, lest they attract attention.

He knew the silence was intentional, meant to keep the workers under control. Still, he couldn't help but feel alone and isolated.

Arman wondered why nobody dared break the oppressive silence. Maybe everyone was scared of the guards. Perhaps they feared being punished for speaking too loudly. Whatever it was, the lack of conversation left him feeling lonely and isolated. It had been almost half a year since the war started, and he hadn't spoken with anyone except the men working next to him. No one else ever came close enough to talk to him. But it wasn't just the distance separating him from others that bothered him. His isolation felt deeper than mere physical separation.

The man's voice startled him from his reverie. "Hey, buddy," said a gruff voice.

Startled, Arman turned toward the speaker. An old soldier stood near the door leading into the room where the workers were stationed. The man looked familiar somehow, though Arman couldn't quite place him. He wore the uniform of a senior officer and carried himself with authority. Though short, he appeared strong enough to crush anything beneath his feet. For some reason, he reminded Arman of the captain who led the unit tasked with guarding the generators. The same man whom he'd seen earlier today standing guard beside the generator

"What?" asked Arman, unsure what the soldier wanted.

Without waiting for an answer, the man continued, "I heard you talking to yourself."

Embarrassed, Arman stammered, "No, I..."

"There ain't nothing wrong with that. People need to vent sometimes. Hell, everybody needs somebody to talk to. It doesn't matter whether it's family or friends; people just want someone to listen. You can't expect to live alone forever, kid. Everybody wants company sooner or later. Even those bastards up there."

He pointed to the ceiling above, referring to the officers and generals who ran Osmium's military operations.

Arman nodded silently. The man smiled warmly and continued,

"Anyway, don't worry about me. If anybody gets upset over my presence here, let them deal with it themselves. They're probably busy worrying about something more important anyway. Like the war going on outside. Or maybe how to keep us alive another day. There isn't much we can do about either problem right now. So, if you've got time, come find me again tomorrow morning. Same place at the same time. We'll have ourselves a good chat then."

With that, the soldier walked away.

Arman watched him leave before turning back to the generator. A sudden thought struck him: Why did he feel so comfortable talking with this stranger? Wasn't it obvious that the man could be dangerous? After all, he was a soldier. Soldiers killed people. And Arman knew better than most that soldiers weren't supposed to show kindness to civilians. Yet, despite knowing that the man could kill him without blinking, Arman still felt no fear whatsoever. This puzzled him greatly. How was it possible not to care that such a person would happily murder him if ordered to?

"Well, shit," muttered Arman under his breath. Then he chuckled nervously. "I'm not sure why I'm laughing. Just feels funny, is all."

That night, as usual, Arman lay awake until dawn. Once the sun rose, he dressed hurriedly and made his way down the hallway. On impulse, he decided to visit the old soldier once more. He needed answers to questions that only a veteran like that fellow could give him. Besides, it wouldn't hurt to get to know a few other faces besides the ones surrounding him every day. Who knows, perhaps someday I'll end up serving with one of these guys. That thought cheered him immensely. With renewed determination, he set off.

A quarter-hour later, he found the old soldier sitting alone in the corner of the dining area. As soon as Arman entered, the man stood up. In the dim light of early morning, he squinted at Arman uncertainly. Finally deciding that everything was fine, the man smiled broadly and extended his hand. "Good to see you, kid!"

Though hesitant at first, Arman took hold of the offered hand. Their hands shook slightly when they met, but neither seemed disturbed by their awkwardness.

They exchanged greetings briefly. When the soldier saw that Arman didn't appear to mind his presence, he relaxed visibly. "So, you finally came looking for me! Good lad. Now, sit down, take your shoes off, and relax."

Arman obeyed. He sat cross-legged on the floor, taking great pains to avoid touching the metal plates covering its surface. At last, he spoke. "You remember yesterday...?"

The man nodded slowly. His eyes remained fixed on Arman.

"Why did you offer to help me out?"

After a brief pause, the man replied, "Because I've been watching you since you arrived. Not many kids your age are willing to work hard. Most of them spend all their days lounging around the dorms. But you're different. Your face always looks tired. No wonder—working seven hours straight isn't easy for anyone."

"Yeah, well..."

"I can tell how hard you work, and I like that. You're not like the other kids here. You don't whine or complain. You just do things. And when you do, you do them right. That's why I offered to help you."

"That's not all."

"But even after all that, you never complain. Instead, you smile and joke with everyone else. It makes others happy too, which means it helps make you happier. What I mean to say is, you seem pretty damn cheerful for someone living through hell." The old soldier paused briefly, considering his words carefully. Then he added, "And because you were nice enough to ask me for advice, I figured I might as well return the favor."

Arman listened quietly, impressed by the depth of feeling behind each word. Still, he couldn't believe that a simple conversation between two strangers could bring him any closer to understanding himself. He wondered aloud, "How long has it been since you joined the army?"

The soldier shrugged. "It's been a while."

"Well Anyway, enjoy yourself tonight. Get some rest. Tomorrow will be a big day. Don't forget to eat breakfast, though, or you'll regret it later. Trust me on that one."

"Wait, what did you just say?" asked Arman suddenly. "Tomorrow?"

The soldier laughed. "Don't worry about it. Just go get some sleep."
***
The next morning, Arman woke unusually late. By the time he left the dormitory, the sky had already begun to brighten. Even so, he wasn't particularly worried; there was plenty of time before sunrise. So, instead, he chose to explore the complex.

The complex was huge. It sprawled across an area roughly the size of a city block. He wandered through a maze of passageways, each one lined with rooms and offices. Most of these rooms were empty, but some had furniture inside, and others had nothing but bare walls.

He passed several groups of soldiers making their way toward the main building. Some carried large crates filled with food supplies. Others brought weapons and ammunition. All wore helmets and protective clothing. They looked grim and serious, ready for whatever challenges fate threw at them. Every now and again, they glanced over their shoulders. Apparently, they expected an attack from somewhere.

Arman walked through the main building, admiring its lavishness. It was much bigger than the dormitory, with high ceilings and walls made of stone.

As Arman approached the main gate, he noticed something odd: several dozen armed men were gathered outside it. From their uniforms, he guessed that most of them must have come directly from the front lines. There were also several officers standing nearby who appeared tense. One of them spotted Arman and waved him forward. A moment later, Arman stepped into the open space beside the gates.

"I'm sorry, sir," said the officer, "but you can't go any farther."

"Why not?"

Before either side knew what was happening, the air erupted in chaos. Men fell screaming onto the ground. Weapons flew everywhere. Bullets whizzed past Arman's head. Fiery beams lanced across the sky. Everywhere, screams rang out. And amid it all, the sound of shattering glass followed closely on the heels of a deafening explosion.

"What happened?" shouted Arman.

Then the ground began trembling beneath his feet. Dust rose up like smoke. For a second, Arman thought he heard distant thunder. He turned back to look at the moon.

The moon is glowing brighter!

At first sight, it seemed no different from usual. But looking more intently, Arman realized that this time the light coming off the white orb was stronger than ever. As if in response to the brightness, the night sky darkened further still.

"What the hell is happening?"

***

0