Chapter 2 – Right Now, Heal The Broken Mind
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Things weren’t the same ever since that day.

I stared at the eternal dark sky plagued by dark clouds. Crepuscular rays illuminate patches of the world, giving us denizens of the dark era some form of little hope.

This journey was made possible from those who sacrificed themselves. We were nearing the location the rumored Oracle said to be hiding beyond this haunted forest. It was overgrown with weeds and vines. Thick branches of leaves stretched over the ceiling and concealed the sky, leaving a path dark ahead. It was oddly silent, and the air felt heavy.

“Do we have enough lanterns?” I asked.

“Fortunately, we do. It’s another matter how long it’ll last us through this path. We have limited fuel to keep them lit for a day at most. How shall we move?”

“I want a group of scouts to go ahead, vanguards, stay alert and rear guards please keep an ear out. It is uncharted territory. We’ve encountered dangerous monsters on our way here and it’ll only get worse.”

“Over here! We found a used trail.”

One of the soldiers discovered a path with cut down branches. Footprints. There were people who visited before us. However, there was something strange.

“Does that mean there are people who retrieved the Oracle?”

“I don’t think so.” I shook my head. “Is there another trail like this anywhere?”

“Not that our scouts say.”

“That means nobody entering this forest has successfully came back out. It’s likely everyone was using the same path, but all footprints moved towards one direction. There aren’t any to indicate they’ve come out of this forest.”

I kneeled by the entrance, running my finger along the trail. Claw marks.

“The last group was Scalemen, Lizardmen I presume. Footprints are about a few days old.”

“Scalemen are versatile warriors by nature. If they have not return, that means something dangerous lurks in the forest.”

“Only one way to find out.” I swallowed. “We follow them. The Empress is expecting great news from us.”

“Understood. I will rally the remaining soldiers.”

Our numbers were few, but we resolved ourselves to challenge the path. Dense clump of trees blocked us from looking too far ahead. We sharpened our hearing and our eyes wandered in every direction.

 “Anything?”

“No, nothing.”

“Not even a chirp from a bird. This place is cursed.”

You would think there would be bugs clicking too. Nothing but trees, bushes and leaves. Not even a wolf’s howl. For a while, the lanterns flickered strong and showed the path ahead. The footprints of previous visitors continued leading us through the path.

Perchance I was given the chance to encounter the Oracle, I wanted to ask why it would be hiding. A lot of people suffered because we lacked the power to defeat the Shadows. We were only able to delay their advance through sacrifices of others while their numbers grow.

A doubt crossed my mind. What if the Oracle doesn’t exist?

-No, it has to. Without the Oracle, everything will end.

I shook my head. Someone who was here before would’ve confirmed the Oracle the whereabouts. I made it all the way here to find out the answer.

“Light! I see light!” One of the soldiers cheered.

I drew an arrow as we made it out of the trail.

It led us to an opened but barren land. There were massive stones like a giant slab sitting in the middle of the lands with many others standing next to it. Mudcracks stretched all the way to rocky landscapes. Lastly, I noticed a super structure off in the distance. It stood taller than the dark clouds stretched over the skies.

“We didn’t see that tower outside the forest.”

“Maybe a magic barrier was hiding it.” I answered.

That was the most logical answer. A super-structure as tall as that would be noticeable from any distance afar.

“And this one is the eighth one. There’s one in every country and here. That means, we’re on the right path.” I nodded, observing the soldier’s morale. “Rest up and take a rest. We’ll move out in an hour.”

Something wasn’t right. It’s too quiet. If something dangerous did take the lives of Scalemen, it must be lying in wait for an ambush. As the one in charge of this expedition, I must keep their morale up to fight through dangers ahead. If they aren’t in peak condition, the cruel and unforgiving laws of nature could wipe us out.

I took a gulp of water and scanned the environment.

“Hm?” I narrowed my eyes.

A silhouette in the distance. It rolled something down the cliff and climbed down the hill. If its anyone other than us in the area, it would be, the Oracle! Deep inside, my heart nearly burst from excitement. I was not hallucinating. I blinked several times to confirm there was in fact someone in the distance.

I grabbed my bow and took off.

“What is it?”

“Hurry, we can’t lose it!”

“Lose what?”

I vaulted over a boulder almost taller than me in acrobatic display much easier than most people were capable of. Adrenaline pumped through my veins. Taking care not to slip, I hopped through the rocky terrain as nimbly as small animals. My followers barely kept up, but that didn’t matter. I found the Oracle and can’t lose its trail!

I crashed out of the bushes and ahead was the cliff it was on. I quickly bent backwards to refrain from falling.

Then I saw a scene I don’t think I was supposed to. Cold sweat formed on my forehead as the sudden truth hit me. The fate of previous explorers that came before us all fell to the bottom of the ravine were being ravaged by monsters. All of their wounds had one thing in common. They were struck by weapons.

The soldiers who followed me managed to catch up. Taking huge breaths of air, some of them fell and sat on their bottoms.

“I… found them.” I muttered. “The Lizardmen. They were thrown down there.”

“That’s terrible.”

“I think, the Oracle did it. The reason previous people weren’t able to leave is because they were killed.”

“If we meet with the Oracle, is there chance we’ll be killed like them?”

“I don’t know.”

Silence spread around the group. Faces among them were ready to give up and take the journey home. They might suffer the same fate as those who came before us if we found the Oracle, but if none of us could persuade the Oracle, then the world might as well become doomed.

I went through great lengths to be given permission to lead this expedition. If I went back empty handed, the Empress and people would be disappointed in me.

*Crunch

Monsters. A pack of boar-wolf hybrid creatures crawled from the direction of the cliffs.

“It’s those pig-wolf thingy bastards! They’re everywhere we go.”

“Defensive formation, now!”

I loosened the first fan of arrows at the creatures. Because of the toughness of their hide, they bulldozed through the barrage and clashed against the shield bearers. Stab, block, block, stab. The soldiers bided their time and attacked whenever the monsters made huge movements to minimize risk of being mauled by ferocious types of monsters.

“One got through!”

“I got it!”

I weaved to the side and cut at the tendons as it flew past me. I quickly swapped to my bow and launched an arrow with pinpoint accuracy in its eye as it turned around. My feet carried me to the beast, pushing my sword down its throat before it had the chance to squeal.

I retracted my blade out of its mouth and stabbed its neck for good measures. These monsters played dead before. Because of our carelessness, we were left with a quarter of the number we started with.

“Are you alright, Priestess?”

“I’m fine. Thank you. What’s the status?”

“One casualty, three with minor injuries.”

-We lost one more. There were twenty-eight of us to get this far. We’re down to six.

The choice to return home or meet with the Oracle were both suicidal. Our supplies were running low. Our numbers were too few to make back home safely, but on the other hand, I didn’t want the rest them to suffer the same as the Lizardmen.

If possible, I can lay down the foundation to persuade the Oracle to help us.

“I, I will meet with the Oracle alone.” I decided. “At least if I fail, I can leave some thoughtful words for the Oracle to think about.”

“But, you will…”

“I convinced the Empress to let me lead this expedition. I should try to save as many lives as I can. It’s the only choice. If my death can give you guys a higher chance to convince him to help us, it’ll be worth it.”

I slung my bow on my back and picked a direction to run before soldiers could stop me. It was unknown how far into the sacred land I moved, but I continued sprinting down the path that led me to a field of debris.

A village? Charred timber stood beside one another in some places while others laid atop of crushed buildings. Dried blood stains completely covered area where the entrance should be.

Corpses should’ve been the least of my worries, but it was unsettling to not see any. Not that I was comfortable to be near any. Even if wild animals raided the place for bodies, I would’ve encountered some remains on the way here.

A fountain was at the center where many demolished homes surrounded it. Water was flowing out of the distributor, and it looked clean enough to drink from it. I dunked my waterskin and watched bubbles surface while I waited. It was a miracle to find this fountain operational in a place like this.

Suddenly the sound of gravel caught my attention. I dropped the waterskin and drew my bow at the source of noise.

Standing by the entrance of this village, there a person wrapped around in dirty bloodstained cloak. I couldn’t see anything past the long oily brown hair drooping over his face. He carried a wooden pale and froze as stiff as a statue soon as he saw me point my weapon at him.

“A,ah! Eeei!”

He dropped the bucket and fell over. What a weird person. He’s not the Oracle. Only an Enui could become the Oracle. I know because I met one when I was little, and he was the one who saved my life. I still the wore the bracelet that was made for me on the day he left for Rozzosea.

I’m still waiting for a day when he comes back, but I’m not sure about that anymore.

This person did not have the fluffy ears he had or a tail. He did not have horns like me. No fairy wings either and his size did not make him a giant. He sure did not have scales or a carapace like insectoids. What race was he? He looked harmless, but I’m worried where the blood on him came from. Maybe he hunted monsters. He’s suspicious.

I put the arrow back into my quiver and moved my bow over my shoulder. “I’m sorry to scare you. You want water too? You can come out.”

If things go south, I still have my sword.

I heard him groan and utter noises. Is he mute?

I ignored him, picking up my waterskin and moved away. He needed water, so I’ll wait from a distance and try to talk to him from there.

He timidly walked up to the basin. I could feel him watch me as he filled his bucket. As he lifted the pale and made a run for it, a stream of water spilled from the hole at the bottom.

“Your bucket has a hole.” I warned.

He stopped, confusingly turn the bucket upside down. He spilled the rest of the water on his legs doing so. What’s with him? He’s clumsy.

Hm? Did he understand me?

“Do you know what I’m saying?”

He nodded.

“Were you from Xu?”

He shook his head.

“Do you know where I can find the Oracle?”

The air around him suddenly changed.

He suddenly went silent, but his hands were trembling. He dropped the bucket and clenched on his chest. His breath become very ragged as if he’s suffocating. It was obvious he was panicking, but from what? From the questions I asked.

He looked like he could collapse. I reach out my hand in concern.

“A-are you okay?”

“Y-you kidnap, me, too? YOU STRANGER! ENEMY! LEAVE!"

Following his screech, silver flames burst out of his sleeves. I saw his bloodthirsty eyes locked on me as he drew his broken sword. He lunged at me in a raging fit.

-He’s fast!

I dropped my helmet and rolled away.

When he crashed into the building, he shook the village. That destructive power was insane. And those silver flames, there’s no doubt he’s the Oracle!

The Oracle rose up from the debris like it was nothing. He let out an unintelligible howl and threw his sword at me. I managed to deflect it and took a defensive stance, but by the time I found him, he was in the air. I knew if I killed him, the world would be lost. I hesitated to take a swing to stop him, and he dropped on me.

“Wait, wait, wait! I just want to talk!”

At this rate I’ll die!

He caught my neck and pressed his knee against my chest. Air was forced out of my lungs, and I couldn’t get anymore in.

“Khh…”

In the end, I was unable to speak a few words in, but I’m not going to give up that easily. At least, let me say something!

As soon as I touched him, his hand bounced off me.

Air!

I gulped down a breath of fresh air while coughing. What happened?

A gust of wind blew down on us, revealing his face. Those tiny grey almond shaped eyes. They looked familiar. That facial structure was the same as him.

He was looking at the bracelet around my arm.

He’s…

“Kihet…?”

After all these years, this was where he was, hiding alone from the rest of the world. I heard terrible things about Rozzosea, about how a Shadow nearly destroying the capital. I heard my brother and Kihet died and Eizan was their murderer.

But he’s here. Kihet’s standing right in front of me.

“Lil…ly?”

Only a handful of people know that name.

I sprung up and put my face close to Kihet’s. I reach up and felt every inch of his facial muscles wiping the dirt off his cheeks and revealed his face. I threw my arms around him.

 “Kihet, it’s really you!”

He quickly pushed me away, slowly moving back. When I reached for him, he began running away.

“Wait, Kihet!”

 


 

I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry!

That was all Kihet said in his mind. He apologized as he ran from a familiar face he almost killed. He broke through wall of branches and tripped over roots. He pathetically fled from a person who he thought the Shadows had taken.

The reunion awakened some of Kihet’s old personality, his twisted thoughts slowly disappeared. Voices of the dead surround Kihet, cursing his actions and demanded retribution. Louder, angrier, demanding. The number of ghastly screams increase as he ran more. The voices in head were louder than the sound of his heartbeat.

He was horrified of his actions and ran to Hannah’s grave. He trashed numerous gravestones, running up the hill and grabbed Hannah’s tombstone. He curled up in front of it, begging to be forgiven.

“Forgive me, I’m sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry!” Kihet repeated and repeated nonstop. His frightened mind kept spewing the deeds he’d done, not giving him a chance to experience peace.

Curious, Henrick materialized beside him. He gave him a poke as he examined him.

“That’s a face different than your usual dead expression. What’s gotten into you? Are you frightened by a little girl?” Henrick smirked. “If you don’t want to see her, should I kill her?”

“SHUT UP!”

Kihet’s temper reached its limit. He slashed his dagger psychotically at Henrick and demolished Hannah’s grave. His hand slipped through Henrick and destroyed the offerings he made, the memories of the little gadgets he built, the portraits of his friends. He began to vent the feelings of sorrow and emptiness that had built up over the years of loneliness.

Right now, it’s not the world that needed to be saved, it was Kihet.

“Every! Single! GAAAAHHHHH! Why?! Why?! Why?!”

He went mad. He kicked dirt, tearing apart the graveyard until a girl and her soldiers arrived at his location.

“Kihet!” Lily’s voice could be faintly heard.

“Good grief, this might get bloody.” Henrick sighed.

Lily and her soldiers could not see Henrick. All they could see was the Oracle going on a rampage.

“Priestess, the Oracle has gone mad.”

“Stop calling my friend the Oracle. His name is Kihet.” She lectured.

“What’s gotten to him?”

“I think,” She thought about them telling them about their encounter, but she decided to keep it to herself. “Being the chosen one gave a lot of burdens to him. I don’t think anyone could stay sane after watching so many people you know and love, killed.”

“But… without him, the world-.”

“Words aren’t going save him. I will put my feelings in my actions.”

She aimed the arrow at Kihet and looked at him with hope in her eyes. Lily had been practicing archery ever since Kihet showed her. He wasn’t even an expert at archery, but this was a talent Kihet helped her realized and she hoped to bring him back with it.

She held the bow how she was taught. The bow on her right, angled diagonally. In her mind, she repeated his instructions. Nock the arrow. The arrow slides over the shaft and dragged far back. Focus the target with one eye. She left her right eye open and balances the arrow to its target. Aim higher than intended, the arrow will curve downwards. She calculated the distance between herself and Kihet just like when she first held the bow.

“It’s my turn to save you, Kihet.”

The arrow flew straight and true onto the dagger. It struck the handle and flung Kihet’s weapon meters away. He panicked and fell down, covering his face with his arms and trembling like a frightened animal. Lily dropped the bow on the ground and making her way towards Kihet. She chased him through the debris with a gentle smile.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry!”

Kihet backed himself into a dead end. He was burying as much of his body into the gaps between the rubbles and panicky threw a pebble at Lily’s head. Part of the stone chipped her broken horn and tore a small cut on her forehead. She did not bother with the injury. The fever she experienced was much worse.

“L-leave me alone! I’m cursed! I should’ve died! I’m a murderer! I’m a monster!”

Lily ignored him and gently embraced him. She pulled his head to her chest and waved a flower underneath his nose. Stredhime flower, spread its fragrance around him. It’s calming effect stopped Kihet from sprouting insults to himself and let out a cry.

She held him tightly and softly spoke. “Kihet, It’s Lily. Don’t be scared, I’m not here to hurt you. I know you don’t want me to think badly of you.” She squeezed him tighter. “I know what you’ve been through. I know you were forced to be the Oracle and I know how much you’ve suffered because of it. You have shown me kindness and cured me when I was sick. Do you remember? You cared for me and saved me when I was a nothing to you.” She stroked his hair. “I remembered your kindness. This time it’s my turn to save you. Please, come back.”

“Lil… I…” Rather than words, tears took place to express his feeling.

Kihet stopped running. The gentle words from Lily’s mouth lit a flame in his heart. The emotions he locked away began to surface and let decades of sorrow, crying in Lily’s arms. Lily held onto him for as long as she needed to until he was back to the Kihet she admired.

0