Chapter 90: Good and Evil
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Why don’t you kill me?”

Ren looked down at the devil and smiled, his hand reaching and tenderly grasping the side of Zero’s neck as he pulled him closer. “Because you’re my most precious little miracle, and we don’t kill miracles around here. We cherish them.” His lips quickly pecked the top of the boy’s head before releasing him. “Besides, I did kill you, but that was an accident. I’m really sorry about that. I’m not really used to sparring against anyone weaker than me, but I should have known better. I won’t let that happen again, but you gotta make sure to keep those arms strong. Don’t let them go limp. Understand, boy?”

Zero nodded, going silent as he focused on the path ahead.

It had been some time since Zero had asked that question. In the beginning, he asked often, critical of the idea that dying wasn’t a regular, normal occurrence that happened to everyone. But as the weeks and months passed, he became more accepting of his new life and not so suspicious of Ren’s intentions. Zero had mostly stopped needing that reassurance that he wasn’t going to have to go through more pain at the hands of another. Now, a little more than a year since he’d found him, the man would even venture to say that the boy trusted him. Was possibly even fond of him, though that was a little harder to determine.

From the very beginning, the angel had been careful in his interactions with the young devil. He tried not to yell in anger or speak negatively to him. Positivity and praise were what he strove for, although that wasn’t always the case. He made mistakes, said things in ways that he hadn’t meant to. But he always tried to rectify the situation and use it as a learning experience for the both of them. The boy seemed to now have a better grasp on the differences in emotions and tones of voice of others, though still not able to put it into action for the most part himself.

Zero also showed more interest in the things around him. Instead of being nervous of the unknown, he would now approach it and try to make sense out of that which he didn’t understand. Ren would give him the initial push, and then leave him be and wait to see if he could figure it out on his own before stepping in and helping him along. Giving those bits of assistance had become a less common occurrence as once the boy figured something out, he never had to learn it again a second time, and he used that knowledge to work through any other problem thrown his way.

Altogether, Ren figured he wasn’t doing an awful job. The boy was slowly coming out of his shell and speaking more.

Not a lot.

But more.

Instead of always holding his tongue, Zero would voice his opinions and even disagree sometimes. He would ask questions and follow up Ren’s answers with more questions, wanting to fully comprehend whatever he was curious about. He seemed to be growing more comfortable with himself and his place in his new world.

However, he was still quiet, still reserved, still kept mostly to himself. He had a lot of thoughts even though he didn’t voice them often. But Ren could see the gears in his mind constantly churning. Always observing. Always considering. Always learning. The boy was extremely intelligent, but he never showed it through his words. Only his actions.

Ren loved the boy as though he were his own. As if the moment he had cut Zero free from his chains, the boy had been born again and the angel was his creator.

His protector.

His father.

And Ren would care for him as if he naturally was. He would guide the boy through the beauties and horrors of life, allowing him to experience it all while following closely along. He would shower him in affection, push him beyond his limits, reprimand his faults. He would give everything of his own being to build the boy to be bigger, stronger, and smarter than Ren could ever hope for himself. He tried to give him everything he needed, and some of what he wanted. But despite it all, it was difficult for the angel to bring out any real emotion from him no matter how hard he tried.

Zero seemed lonely.

As though he were missing apart of himself.

His other half.

And Ren wasn’t someone who could fill that void.

“I heard some angels talking.” Zero stared at the ground, watching one foot overtake the other, crushing the dirt and leaves below. “They said that you killed a lot of men.”

Ren sighed, not enjoying the direction of the conversation but grateful to be listening to the sound of the boy’s gentle voice. “Did they now? What else did they say?”

“That you’re the Hundred Headhunter.”

The angel couldn’t stop the bitter laughter from escaping his mouth. “Is that what they’re calling me now? That’s cute. Not the worst name I’ve received.”

Zero went quiet again for a couple of minutes. “Did you?”

Ren knew what he was asking, but he also liked making the boy talk. Sometimes, he’d go days without hearing his voice, so when he did, the angel would try to keep him going as long as possible. “Did I what?”

“Kill a hundred men?”

The man shrugged. “I don’t know. I didn’t care and I didn’t keep track. It made no difference whether or not I kept score. I only cared about how much time I had left before I could get out. How many heads it took to get there didn’t matter.” He grinned at the boy. “In case you’re wondering, I had nine years, seven months, twenty-six days, and eight hours left before I took your father’s head. That’s the only one I’ve ever cared about and bothered to count.”

“Why?”

“Why what?”

Zero stopped and bent over, picking up a long, thin branch that had broken and fallen onto the path. “Why didn’t you keep count? I’ve overheard other angels talk about how many people they’ve killed.”

Ren watched the boy as he stuck the stick out, letting it knock against the trunks of the trees as he walked past. “It’s not exactly something I’m proud of, and I have no interest in bragging about it. I didn’t take the lives of others for the purpose of getting pleasure from it. I just did what I had to do at the time. There are some angels who think it makes them special, like their doing God’s bidding by culling those that they consider beneath them, but I always found it…” He clicked his tongue, trying to decide on the right word. “Monotonous.”

“Why don’t you kill me?” the boy asked again. “On purpose. I’m a devil. Angels despise devils.”

“Yeah, but you’re not a very good devil.” He knocked Zero gently on the head. “And you’re not exactly easy to kill.”

The boy nodded, going quiet.

That was all Ren was going to get, so he continued. “I didn’t intend to spare your life for some altruistic reason or as an act of rebellion towards the heavens. I’ve never tried to kill you because I never wanted to, and I never will. When I found you, there was just something about you, something that just… called to me. I didn’t care that you were a child born from an angel and a devil because from the moment you looked up at me, I could see it. That light, that purity and innocence in you. That you were all that was good and right in this world. And I knew that you had been waiting for me. That you were mine. So I took you, and I’ll be damned if anyone ever takes you from me.” The man smiled lovingly and tousled the devil’s white hair. “Unless you want to go, of course. Every chick leaves the nest sooner or later.”

Zero thought about it. “No. This is fine.”

“Well, I appreciate that. I enjoy your company and don’t exactly do well when I’m alone and left to my own devices. I know it’s hard to imagine, but not a whole lot of people want to be around me.”

“It’s not,” the boy said quickly without hesitation.

Ren sighed, defeated. He couldn’t argue with that logic. “All I’ve ever had was Raz and Sakura and you. Now Raz is dead, and Sakura’s still mad at me. So you’re stuck with me. It’s your responsibility to be my emotional crutch until we find her. She can take over from there once we do.” The angel watched the boy, the stick still thwacking against bark. “Would you like to find someone?”

“You’re someone,” he stated simply.

“Someone else. Maybe a girl? Like what Sakura is to me.”

The devil looked at the man, his eyes hinting at concern, the most emotion that had ever been in them. “I don’t think I want that.”

He had a valid point.

“How about someone nice? A little less wild. Not so violent. Someone who you like being around and who likes being around you.”

Zero considered it. He had seen plenty of girls in the villages and towns and cities they’d been to; different beings of different ages and heights and looks. Ren would sometimes point out certain girls to him, say how they looked nice or sweet or pretty, and encourage him to go talk to them. To introduce himself and ask them about themselves. To make the effort to get to know someone new. Someone who may become special to him.

Zero never did though. He had no interest in it.

He didn’t want to find a girl.

He wanted to find the warmth.

The light.

Sometimes he could feel it, a residual calling in some of the places they went through, drifting along a road or path or lingering in a shop. It was never strong though. Never led him anywhere.

It was just barely a whisper.

The last notes of a song.

He wondered if Ren would help him find it. The angel probably would try if he asked.

But how would Zero explain something that he himself didn’t understand?

“No,” the devil rejected the offer softly while wanting the opposite.

The man knew not to push it too much.

Devils only ever do what they want.

He couldn’t force the boy.

But he could watch.

He could wait.

Take advantage if the opportunity ever struck.

Ren thumped the boy’s back. “I’m sure if a Fallen One can find someone, then so can a devil. All good things come with time.”

Zero had seen the angel’s black wings and hair. He’d heard the things that people said about him. Seen the looks he received. “Why is it bad to be a Fallen One?”

He shrugged. “Because I was created and born from sin.”

The devil still didn’t understand. “What does that mean?”

The angel’s lips curved towards the knavish glint in his eyes, and he chuckled. “It means I’m evil.”

0