Chapter 32 – Arrest
68 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Sheila Barker, right?"

"Yes."

"Are you from Almia?"

"Yes."

"Why did you hit Rita Barker?"

"She hit me first and tried to lock me in a room," Sheila replied, annoyed.

"But that's not what the witnesses say..." said the officer while checking the papers on his desk.

Sheila was being interrogated in a small room, accompanied by two officers. One was taking notes of everything she said while the other was asking the questions.

Sheila's face was full of scratches, her hair disheveled, and she couldn't fix it because she still had the handcuffs on.

"Are you aware that with what you've done, we can deport you back to your country?"

Sheila fell silent as she didn't know what to answer.

Part of her was scared, but the other part was angry.

How could they lie like that?

It was Rita who had pounced on her and then called a maid to lock her up again in that room!

Sheila had acted on instinct and defended herself, but when Jennie arrived...

Jennie.

Sheila never imagined that Jennie would call the police to have her arrested.

Sheila's stomach growled with hunger, and the police looked at her with a certain disdain.

"Excuse me... don't you have something to eat?" Sheila asked, a bit embarrassed, but the hunger was becoming more unbearable.

One of the officers laughed and the other let out a sigh before saying:

"Dinner time has passed. You'll have to wait until tomorrow for breakfast."

Until tomorrow?

She hadn't eaten anything for hours!

The last meal she had was with Blortus and Benjamin, but...

Wait a minute.

Where was Benjamin?

Sheila suddenly remembered Rita's words.

How could she go out with a man when there were so few days left until her wedding...?

What had happened to Benjamin?

A faint noise was heard behind Sheila, and it turned out that a third officer had entered.

"Have you finished the interrogation?"

"Yes, take her away."

"Come with me."

Sheila stood up from her chair and followed the officer.

"Have you made your call?"

"No, I haven't been able to."

The officer led Sheila to a room with several wall phones.

"You have 7 minutes starting now to call someone," the officer said while removing her handcuffs. After that, he set a timer on his personal phone.

"Can these phones make international calls?" Sheila immediately asked.

"No."

Sheila's heart raced at those words.

She couldn't call Emily or anyone from Almia!

What could she do?

Sheila suddenly remembered a phone number she had saved in her pocket, but...

It wasn't there!

A chill ran through Sheila's body at the thought that she was alone.

She was alone in a foreign country without any of her belongings.

"Aren't you going to call anyone?" the officer asked, seeing Sheila frozen in front of the phone.

Sheila gathered her courage, remembering the mocking expression Rita had when the officers handcuffed her.

"I'm remembering..." said Sheila as she picked up the phone.

"You have 4 minutes and 32 seconds left."

What was it...?

Sheila tried to dial Benjamin's phone number from memory, but the call didn't go through.

She tried and... failed.

Nothing.

Again.

Sheila felt time running out until an idea occurred to her.

"How many digits do Vespera's phone numbers have?" Sheila asked, full of nerves.

The officer, surprised by this question, began to count on his fingers and replied:

"Ten. Three for the area code and seven for the number."

It was different from Almia!

When Sheila heard that answer, a number began to come to mind.

Fortunately, it was a simple number that she had, incredibly, memorized.

Entering that number, the phone began to ring...

How much time did she have left?

Each ring made Sheila's heart beat hard.

Was it going to be answered?

It was late, she was calling from an unknown number, and the chances of making a mistake were high...

Before Sheila's mind could fill with more worries, the phone was answered.

"Hello...? Who am I speaking to?" a voice that Sheila immediately recognized was heard on the other side, and without realizing it, she smiled.

Blortus!

"Blortus, it's me," Sheila quickly explained.

"Treit?" responded Blortus, recognizing her voice.

"Yes," said Sheila, glancing sideways at the officer.

How could she explain her situation...?

"What happened?" Blortus immediately asked, noticing Treit was nervous.

"Where are we?" Sheila asked the officer.

"You're at the West District Police Station in Vespera," the officer replied.

Blortus was confused to hear Treit ask that question.

Who was she talking to?

Was she with someone other than Benjamin?

"Blortus, I'm at the West District Police Station in Vespera. I've been mistakenly detained. It looks like I'm going to spend the night here, and I don't know if..." Sheila stopped her speech, remembering that she hadn't told him her real name. Should she tell him?

If he came looking for her and couldn't find her because of that...

Suddenly the officer's alarm started ringing.

"Time's up," said the policeman as he approached.

"Sheila Barker! Look for Sheila Barker."

5