Prologue – The Letter
362 6 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

She wasn't expecting any visitors at this hour.

Her friends and contacts knew she hated being disturbed on Sundays, so...

Who could it be?

The doorbell rang again, and with a frown, Sheila made her way to the entrance of her house, not without first putting away the broom she was using.

When she reached the door, she was met by a mail carrier who said to her:

"Hello, are you Miss Barker?"

It had been a long time since Sheila had heard that last name.

The reason she dropped her surname was simple. She couldn't bear to carry the name of those selfish relatives who abandoned her mother and exiled her from home just because her father had a new daughter with Sheila's stepmother.

"I don't know anyone with that last name" 

Sheila said before reluctantly closing the door. But to her surprise, the mail carrier put his hand out.

"Wait! I apologize if I offended you, but you bear a striking resemblance to..."

The mail carrier took out a photo from his pocket, and without a doubt, it was a photo of Sheila's old identification document that contained her former surname.

"Where did you get that?" Sheila asked, annoyed, as she brought her face closer to the mail carrier.

"I'm just doing my job! Miss Barker gave this to me to deliver this letter..."

Once again, the mail carrier extended a red envelope with her family's logo on it.

Sending a letter in the 21st century? If they can find my home address and that old photo, why don't they call me on the phone?

Sheila thought as she begrudgingly took the letter from the mail carrier's hands.

"Have a good day! I'll take my leave..."

"Wait."

Before the mail carrier could escape, Sheila grabbed him by the collar.

"We need to talk."

The mail carrier swallowed hard upon hearing Sheila's words, but to his surprise, she told him to sit down and handed him a tip.

The mail carrier's eyes widened as he saw the amount of money Sheila was giving him.

"Miss! I can't accept this, it's..."

"Too little?" 

Sheila interrupted purposely.

"No! It's too much. It exceeds my salary by far..."

Due to Sheila's line of work, she had a long-lost track of what normal people earned.

Information is power; I'll take it as an investment.

Sheila thought as she sat down next to the mail carrier and smiled at him slowly.

"Consider it an extra."

Seeing that Sheila wouldn't back down, the mail carrier reluctantly pocketed the money with a hint of embarrassment.

"I need you to do me a favor."

"Of course!"

Sheila was surprised by the tone with which the mail carrier responded. He seemed like a different person. Just one look from him emanated unmatched energy.

Reflecting on his words for a few seconds, Sheila leaned in closer to the mail carrier's ear.

◇◆◇

Once the mail carrier left Sheila's house, she sat back down on one of her red sofas.

Sheila's current house was quite luxurious and located in a highly privileged area. She had obtained everything through hard work and her connections. Not just anyone could access this area, so it was very strange for someone to find her so easily.

Almost all her doubts vanished when she saw a surname.

Long.

Upon realizing that the Long Family was involved in all of this, Sheila grimaced in disgust. The more she read the letter, the more her face displayed her growing disgust.

Marriage? And... there's already a date!?

This shocking news caused Sheila to lose her composure.

In recent years, she had never lost her nerve, not even during the most difficult surgeries with her patients.

She believed she had mastered her emotions, but this event showed her that there could always be something that could shake your life when you least expect it.

And the cherry on top was the final note.

[Before coming, deign to call us at this number: XXX XXX. We know you're alive, so don't do anything stupid, or we will find you, sister.]

They hadn't changed.

They still degraded her, no matter how much Sheila respected them!

Many unpleasant memories flooded Sheila's mind as she read that final part over and over again.

So, a wedding... I think it's time to resolve this once and for all.

Sheila thought as she headed to her computer to book a flight to her home country.

17