Chapter 4
1.8k 4 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Year 2916

-

I lifted the curtain slightly, peeking out the carriage window. Then I glanced at the Duke, my father, Gerard Blackburn, who was sitting opposite me.

We were on our way to the palace to see the king.

Again, events were repeating themselves. I had considered feigning illness, but I knew that wouldn’t work. The King himself wanted to see me so the Duke would certainly have a doctor look at me.

The Duke looked at me when my eyes stayed on him too long and I quickly looked away.

‘Damn it. Reflex...’

I couldn’t look my father in the eye. I really couldn’t remember ever doing so.  And it seems that habit carried over to this life. I didn’t want to see what he really thought of me, so I tried to never find out.

My mother hated me and so did my brother. But at least, my father didn’t hate me. That’s what I believed and still somewhat believe. But somewhere deep in my heart, I knew he didn’t like me.

I saw how he treated Rowan. To him, Rowan was the apple of his eye while I was a pebble on the street.

Reminding myself that I had to change, I forced my eyes to look back at the Duke. And to my shock, I found him staring at me. I looked into his eyes and found...annoyance? He was annoyed?

Suddenly, I found myself laughing. Here I was, scared of what emotions he might have, and it was an annoyance.

“What?” a deep voice echoed in the carriage, bringing me out of my amusement. The Duke looked inquisitive. I suppose my sudden laughter got him curious.

“I’m sorry, Your Grace. I recalled something amusing,” I simply replied with a shake of my head.

He seemed to want to say something then thought better of it and kept silent.

I looked away from the Duke and pushed down the urge to look outside again.

‘Annoyed, huh.’

I wasn’t quite sure why the Duke was annoyed, but I could guess. The fact that I was with him right now might be making him annoyed. The fact that I was looking at him might also be making him annoyed... There were quite a few things I could think of.

‘Is annoyance better than hate though?’

I mulled over that question for some time but I couldn’t reach an answer.  Soon the carriage stopped, and I was helped down.

As my feet touched the floor, my eyes were transfixed on the grand royal palace before me.

‘Ah...it all began here.’

I thought wistfully. 

The Duke took a step forward and I followed.

* . * . *

After a short audience with the king, I was led to the royal garden by a maid. As we drew closer to the fountain, I saw a familiar head of red hair and I froze. Memories began to rush into me.

|---|

As the maid led me into the garden, my face was flushed with anticipation. Mother had told me I would be meeting the Crown Prince today. He wasn’t Crown Prince yet, but everyone knew he would be the Crown Prince.

I saw a beautiful lock of red hair ahead of me. It gleamed like rubies under the sun. Stunned, I took a careless step forward and tripped, scraping my hand on a stone. I was beyond embarrassed and couldn’t bring myself to stand again.

Soon, I felt a presence before me then I heard a gentle voice.

“Are you alright?”

I looked up to find an angel standing over me. I shook my head reflexively then I realized what I’d done and quickly nodded.

“Here, let me help you up,” the angel stretched out his hand and I took it. He pulled me up and noticed the scrape on my hand. He turned to the maid by my side, “Get a bandage.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” the maid bowed and left.

Immediately, I realized who this was. I bowed to apologize, “I-I’m sorry, Your High—”

A small chuckle made me pause and lift my head. He was smiling at me with a twinkle in his eye, “Don’t apologize. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

I could feel my jaw go slack as I took in his beauty.

“Lydia Blackburn, correct?”

I nodded quietly.

He smiled again, “Royal father asked me to come to get you.” He continued to speak but I couldn’t hear what he was saying.

I was entranced.

|---|

I shook my head, jolting myself back to reality, and carefully walked up to the boy ahead. I stopped before him and curtsied into a greeting, “Greetings to Your Highness, Prince Edmund.”

“Greetings, Lady Lydia.”

I looked up at him and smiled politely, “His Majesty asked me to go to the garden and I assume it’s to meet Your Highness?”

Surprise flashed through his eyes before he returned my smile, “Indeed. Royal father asked me to come to get you.”

“I see. I am honored.”

“It’s my pleasure. May I?” he offered me his hand and I took it.

His Highness, Prince Edmund Yvoneheim Kahler de Edis. The second child of King Alexander & Queen Rowena.

To public knowledge, Prince Edmund was the first prince but those in-the-know knew he was the second prince. Prince Julius was born hours before him, of course, that knowledge was buried by Queen Rowena herself.

As I talked with him politely, I couldn’t help but glance at his appearance. I thought my heart would throb or even race at the sight of Prince Edmund, but it was still. Perhaps I had exhausted all my affection for him in my first life.

Prince Edmund. The man whom my life had revolved around. Looking at him now, I couldn’t feel an ounce of affection. If anything, I felt a slight disdain. With the rose glasses of love removed, all I could see was a man who had cheated on his fiancée. Even if that was just in the future.

At 8 years old, Prince Edmund was still relatively innocent. He didn’t wear that cold expression he always had when facing people in the future. When facing me especially.

Seeing him like this made me feel odd. But I tried my best not to let it show.

After the tour, I had some tea with the Prince before I finally returned to the Duke, my father. In the carriage home, I let my mind wander.

In three months, my engagement with Prince Edmund would be finalized. I didn’t have a say in this. The Blackburn family needed a tie with the royal family. And the Farelline Ducal family didn’t have any females nor were they ever going to.

If I told my father I didn’t want to be engaged with Prince Edmund, I wonder what he would do.

I glanced at the Duke in the carriage and a corner of my lip curled up. I was curious now. Perhaps I would do just that.

40