Chapter 14
1.9k 5 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-

“You may rise,” at the Queen’s words, the man known as Isaac Whitehall straightened up. His face was calm, and he looked full of composure. But the slight twitch of his lips told me he wasn’t very composed.

‘Poor soul.’

I cleared my throat softly and shifted in my seat.

Right now, I was trying to remember exactly when this man had died. Before coming to this ceremony, I had already prepared myself for his appearance, so I didn’t feel too off. Lately seeing all these dead people has been giving me an out-of-body experience.  At this rate, I might actually not be surprised if I see a dead person rise from the grave….

Prince Consort Isaac Whitehall-Kahler.

That was what I was used to calling him. Unlike Princess Selena whom I barely talked to, I had conversed with Lord Isaac a lot. However…it was mostly about things like how to get into a man’s heart. And I have to say, Lord Isaac was terrible at giving advice. His first advice for me was ‘strip’…which you can already tell is awful. And no, I wasn’t stupid enough to actually strip. I had something called pride.

But Lord Isaac wasn’t terrible to be around.

Of course, the fact that he was a baron’s son was initially off-putting to previous me. But I got over it in time. He was another one who I wasn’t too sure if we could even be described as close. We talked a lot in my first life but even now, I barely know him. I knew he was Selena’s husband and for me back then? that was all I needed to know.

‘15!’

The number finally clicked in my head.

‘I was 15 when Lord Isaac died. So that means he died…’ it took a moment to calculate it, ‘in 7 years?’

I barely remember grieving when he passed. I was under house arrest at the time and my mind was in disarray. His death was the last thing on my mind back then.

“You love my daughter?”

When I finally started paying attention, I noticed the conversation had actually gone far. The King now looked solemn and the Queen was instead the one looking amused.

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Isaac’s voice was silky, and he squeezed Selena’s hand making her blush.

I gazed at Princess Selena’s blushing cheeks and furrowed my brows. Suddenly, Princess Selena moved, and our eyes met. She looked slightly surprised but looked away. Not before giving me a tiny smile.

Princess Selena…

‘….was she behind his death?’

The thought suddenly flashed through my mind, but it wasn’t the first time I’d considered it. Prince Consort Isaac’s death was very sudden. Almost as sudden as Prince Julius’ death...

Looking at Princess Selena’s cute face right now, it was hard to believe she’d do anything of the sort.

In my first life, I was accused of murdering Prince Julius, then of poisoning King Alexander but I had no hand in either. Prince Julius and Prince Consort Isaac had both allegedly passed away from an illness. I was surprisingly not blamed for Prince Consort Isaac’s death but some years after Julius’ death, Edmund thought it would be nice to pin Julius’ death on me.

….probably because my status wouldn’t allow me to be imprisoned over the attempted murder of a baron’s daughter.

I shook my head, stopping myself from thinking further.

I was trying to focus on the fiasco going on but at this point, I was bored. I knew how this would end. After the back and forth, they wouldn’t come to a conclusion and it would later be resolved in the confines of the palace.

And as I predicted...

“Enough!” the King roared, his amusement forgotten, “this hall is dismissed!” he flung his robes and stormed out of the venue.

“Royal father!” Selena cried after him while the Queen was massaging her forehead.

Queen Rowena gave a loud sigh before standing up gracefully, “I regret to have shown you all such a scene. As you retire to your homes, do be careful on the way.”

Voices clamored to assure the Queen that she had nothing to be regretful about. I stood up as did the two Princes and we followed the Queen out of the venue.

* . * . *

As promised, the King called for me two days later. He didn’t look like he was in a good mood but then again, the King rarely looked like he was in a good mood.

I went through the motions, greeting and everything then I went to the main point.

“Your Majesty, I would like to break my engagement with His Highness, Crown Prince Edmund.”

The King didn’t look surprised which I found odd. Instead he looked tired as he asked, “Why?”

I lowered my head, “I do not believe I am suitable for His Highness, Your Majesty.”

I could feel the King’s gaze wash over me before he gave his usual ‘hm’.

“Does your father know of this?”

My head shot up in surprise. No, my father did not. He was not at home as usual, so I doubted he knew I was here.

The King nodded when I remained silent, “How old were you again?”

“8, Your Majesty,” I quickly replied.

“Eight….I see the Duchess has been teaching you well.”

I couldn’t tell if he was being sarcastic or not,“…Yes, Your Majesty.”

“However,” the King paused and rested his head on his hand, “Do you understand what you have just asked for?”

I gripped my dress and answered firmly, “Yes, Your Majesty. I—”

“I do not think so,” the King spoke before I could say continue, “I assume Edmund did something to offend you. Do not worry, I shall speak to him.”

I sighed, realizing I had to be more explicit, “I do not want to be engaged to Prince Edmund, Your Majesty.”

The King’s eyes narrowed, “Watch your words, child.”

“I’m sorry, Your Majesty. Prince Edmund is not my type.”

Pfft!

I heart a brief laugh and glanced to my right. The only people there were the King’s secretary and some guards. Their faces were all stoic so I couldn’t tell who had laughed.

“Type?” King Alexander had an odd expression. He lowered his head and whispered to the man on his left, “Kids these days have a type so early?”

“Uh…I do not specialize in that area. I’m sorry, Your Majesty,” the man whispered back.

I raised a brow.

They do realize I can hear them, right?

“And what is this type exactly?” he was beginning to sound exasperated. I heard a mumble that sounded like ‘even children too’. Before I could reply, the King waved his hand, telling me not to bother.

“Lydia of the Blackburn House. You wish to defy a royal order?” the King finally brought up the question I’d been wishing to hear.

“Yes, Your Majesty,” I forced myself not to smile.

“Let me remind you that your age will not prevent you from suffering the consequences.”

“I am aware, Your Majesty.” That that is a lie.

According to noble law, the punishment for a crime committed under 12 cannot be applied until the perpetrator turned 13. So I still had time.

‘Even if the crime is as stupid as refusing a marriage you don’t want.’

“You are aware of the consequences?”

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Well, not really.

There was actually no incident of a marital royal order being defied in the history books. So I didn’t know what exactly I would go through. It was one of those unspecified punishments. I suspected that I might be stripped of my ability to marry again. Another possibility was complete exile.

There were different levels to royal orders. If it was a royal order asking you to serve in battle, refusing that would get you executed right away. But refusing a royal order for marriage had a leaner punishment in comparison. However, people simply didn’t defy marital royal orders. Why? Because…who wants to anger the king?

There was some silence for a while before I heard something that threw me for a loop.

“This doesn’t happen to have anything to do with that Isaac Whitehall kid, does it?”

“Huh?”

To say I was stunned would be an understatement.

‘Isaac? What the—’

“I suppose not. Considering you asked for an audience before his appearance,” the King sighed and the sternness on his face seemed to lessen somewhat, “I am not blind, child. Neither is the Queen. We have noticed the lack of harmony between you and Edmund.”

I brightened up.

“But you are still children. All of you.”

‘No, no, no.’ I was starting to get filled with dread. Maybe I chose the worst possible time to bring this up. I immediately opened my mouth to retort but the king raised a hand to silence me.

“If I agree to what you ask, you shall be exiled from the capital. Not immediately, but eventually. As the daughter of one of my most loyal subjects, I cannot bear to do that.”

Not total exile, just exile from the capital?

‘That’s… actually pretty good. No, that’s wonderful! Go ahead!’

“So instead, I will give you another option,” the king continued.

“…” Bloody hell.

“7 years. If in 7 years, you are still of the same mind, the engagement shall be undone by me personally. There shall be no consequences.”

I looked at the King who was now smiling and lowered my head. I took a breath, clenched my fist and stared straight at the King.

“Your Majesty, I’d rather we end the engagement now.”

The King’s gaze hardened.

But I ignored his expression and continued. “In 7 years, His Highness will be 17 years old, one year away from the prime age to marry.”

“If you’re worried about Edmund getting an appropriate partner, you do not have to. That will be arranged.”

My lips twitched, “The future Crown Princess must study to be Queen. One year is too short. I ask that you end our engagement now and appoint a new partner for His Highness.”

“Is the royal training too difficult for you? Is that what this is?”

“Your Majesty!” seeing the King’s face cloud in anger, I realized my voice had been too high.

‘We don’t scream at the king, Lydia. We do not scream at the king.’  I repeated to myself and bowed deeply.

“I’m sorry, Your Majesty. I lost my composure.”

“I can see that,” the King had a sharp glint in his eye, “You act unlike a child, Lydia.”

I paused. That was out of the blue. But he wasn’t kicking me out of the throne room so there was hope.  

“…thank you for the compliment, Your Majesty. My mother says I matured early.”

“Is that so.” He drummed his fingers on his arm rest, “I can also tell you’ve been working hard in your royal training. Your etiquette is on par with Duchess Farelline.”

I stiffened. Why is he suddenly complimenting me?

“I’d been impressed. You hadn’t made a single mistake since you stepped into this room. Until just now, that is,” the King stopped drumming his fingers and sat up.

I swallowed reflexively and straightened up too.

The King suddenly smiled, “You have two options. One, you marry the Crown Prince. From what I can see, you are very suitable for him. Two, you get 8 years. In 8 years, if you are still of the same mind, the engagement shall be undone by me personally.”

My eyes widened in horror.

The king was still smiling but his eyes were not, “What do you chose?”

I opened my mouth and closed it. I wanted to keep pushing but something told me I wasn’t going to get the result I hoped for.

I had expected this to go much better.

I thought the King thought nothing of me so he wouldn’t care to cancel our engagement and find another. The future Queen did not need to be from the household of a Duke. There were many available Marquis daughters. But he seemed quite resistant to the destruction of our engagement.

Perhaps I should have just been rude. I could’ve figured out a way to escape Queen Rowena’s assassins…maybe.

I sighed dispiritedly, “…Option 2 is alright, Your Majesty.”

He nodded, “You may leave.”

I curtsied in farewell before turning around to leave. A thought suddenly occurred to me and I paused.

I turned back, “Your Majesty. If Prince Edmund himself wishes to end it before 8 years, will that be alright?”

“Oh?” he seemed a tad surprised then there was an odd emotion in his eyes, “I will allow it.”

I couldn’t keep the relief off my face, “Thank you, Your Majesty.” I hurriedly left the throne room before he could change his mind.

Upon reaching outside, I was greeted by a beautiful blue sky. And before I knew it, I was sucked into its depth. The blue seemed to seize my gaze and I couldn't turn away. The events of my meeting with the king began to play through my mind. And the realization that I wasn't able to change my engagement began to fully dawn on me. I wasn’t sure how long I stood there until my maid tapped me on the side and handed me a handkerchief.

Surprised, I turned to her with question then I felt a wetness on my cheek. I blinked in shock and immediately dabbed at my eyes.

‘I’m…crying?’

I hadn’t cried in years yet I was crying now?

Ha. Hahahahaha….

I was hit with the sudden urge to laugh and I didn’t bother to suppress it. I didn’t care how surprised my maid was, I didn’t care how surprised the guards were, I didn’t care who was looking at me.

I didn’t care.

 

 

42