CHAPTER 3
402 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yuri's eyes was filled with pity for Terry and Jim's future destiny.

But at the same time, Yuri also felt a little curious. This two brothers living in Central City couldn't possibly have not heard of the Flash's name. Like, everyone in Central City knew the Flash! 

The huge Flash Museum in downtown had proven everything.

Otherwise, why do you think the security in Central City is so good? With the Flash's monstrous speed, regular crimes have no pathetic chance of success.

Those who can stir up trouble in Central City either have advanced and strong technology or have superpowers. And so, ordinary people can only be street thugs, helping the Central City police to increase their performance.

So with a few million dollars at stake like what this guy said, it's obviously not something that street thugs can get involved in.

"Robbing a bank to earn millions of dollars, are you guys planning to do that? Aren't you afraid of the Flash? The Flash will knock you out before you even step out of the bank door." 

Yuri asked in a low voice, showing a very interested look while narrowing his eyes.

Well, with just ten dollars in his pocket and a savings account of only three hundred twenty-seven dollars and fifty-five cents, and considering the cheap and expired cereal he had been eating for the past two months and eighteen days, Yuri was indeed very interested.

But this does not mean that he will lose his head and go do illegal and disorderly things. Well, at least... there must be a careful plan. 

"No no no, robbing a bank is just plain stupid."

Jim was very satisfied with Yuri's reaction. He knew how poor Yuri's living conditions were, and those who urgently needed money were often the easiest to persuade.

.... 

Not robbing a bank?

A hint of surprise flashed in Yuri's eyes. It seems that these two brothers are not that dumb.

"Don't worry about the Flash, because he's not in Central City anymore."

Jim whispered, his eyes and tone full of confidence while smirking like a generic goon.

"The Flash is not in Central City? How do you know?" Yuri asked with a raised eyebrow. 

He swears that he hasn't missed any news about superheroes these past few days, 'cause he's worried that something big might happen and wants to be able to avoid it. 

Just yesterday, the Flash had a fight with the Weather Wizard on a commercial street less than five kilometers away, and half the shops on the street were reportedly destroyed by the storm.

"It's just the Kid Flash remaining in Central City. The Adult Flash went to Denver, and Jesse Quick, the sexy little bitch, is in financial crisis and can't even pay attention to us... As for that Kid Flash? He's of course just a kid."

Jim continued giving Yuri that goon smirk. "These past few days in Central City are a rare superhero free time. We only need to worry about the cops."

In just two sentences, a huge amount of information was revealed, information that even the police and the media couldn't possibly know so clearly.

Yuri began to doubt if this person in front of him was really the bully Jim from his impression.

"Don't ask me how I know. You'll understand everything when you decide to join us," Jim said proudly and slyly.

Jim reached his hand through the car window and patted Yuri's shoulder. "Don't worry, we won't make you do anything too dangerous. You just need to drive."

"If you've decided, come find us here tomorrow night at eight," he added.

 

Jim then turned back to Terry and helped him unload the milk from the car. Yuri was left to digest the information he had just received. On one hand, Jim still hadn't told him about their true plan to "do a job." 

On the other hand, Jim seemed to know a lot about the superhero movements in Central City and Keystone City. Either he had some unknown source of information, or he was just making things up.

Yuri leans more towards the former, but he's really not sure about their "source of information."

"I have a feeling that I'm going to get involved in some troublesome things..." Yuri frowned, knowing that being with Jim and Terry could mean encountering some shady underground organizations or something along the lines. 

But if he refused their invitation, he might end up in even more trouble if they had connections to some organization and they come to think that he will report them or something. 

Yuri hates trouble, so he decides to come back tomorrow and assess the situation.

With his watch on, he's not worried about Jim and Terry, "ordinary people," threatening him.

... 

The milk in his old dilapidated car is quickly unloaded, and Yuri sits in the driver's seat the whole time, even too lazy to look back, since there's nothing of value in the car that someone could steal.

As for why Yuri doesn't help unload the goods, it's because Mrs. Shelby doesn't want to pay him extra for moving things. 

This is the land of the free and the home of the brave, where you can have anyone do anything as long as you pay them.

.. 

Under the "you know what we mean" looks of Terry and Jem, Yuri drives away with mixed feelings.

He had thought he could live a peaceful life, but now it seems unlikely...

The distance between Central City and Keystone City is very close, so close that these two cities can basically be considered one city, a true twin city.

These two cities are separated by only one river, and the Van Buren Bridge connects Central City to Keystone City, taking no more than ten minutes round trip.

And the police stations of the two cities are conveniently located near the ends of the bridge, allowing them to assist each other at the fastest speed possible.

When Yuri comes, he is always late because the milk factory where he works is located near a ranch in the outskirts of Keystone City, far from the Central City. He can only take another route, which passes through a bridge connecting two cities, and heads straight to the slums of Keystone City.

And before going home, he has one more thing to do: fix his car. If he doesn't, the car will look too bad, and so, no one will hire him to transport goods, which in turn will cut off his only source of income.

"The hole in the windshield is almost a fist size, it can only be replaced with a whole piece. I remember the cheapest windshield is at..."

*Boom!*

"Hahaha, these toys are really amazing!"

Just as Yuri was thinking about where to buy the glass, a sudden explosion sounded above his head, followed by someone's cheerful laughter.

A blond young man with a mask, dressed in yellow and blue, and dressed like a circus magician, ran over from above the old car, with sparks flashing under his shoes.

While running, he turned his head and shouted, "You guys can only be fooled by me. Remember to tell your colleagues tomorrow that the Trickster is back!"

The Trickster, one of the veterans of the Rogue's Gallery, was once the archenemy of the Flash.

However, since the Justice League was formed, the Flash's focus has gradually shifted from daily life in Central City to league missions, and the Rogue's Gallery officially disbanded. No one knows why.

The Pied Piper turned from evil to good and became a vigilante. Captain Cold and his sister, the Golden Glider, founded a bounty hunter company. Heat Wave became a fire safety consultant. Mirror Master retired, and the Weather Wizard disappeared until yesterday when he suddenly appeared and had a fight with the Flash.

As for the Trickster, like Heat Wave, he accepted amnesty and is now an FBI agent, but this is not important. What is important is that the famous Trickster, James Jesse, is now over forty years old!

But this person who just claimed to be the Trickster was actually a young man in his early twenties.

Although all of this had nothing to do with Yuri, but as he looked at the four very noticeable dents in the roof caused by the bricks that fell during the explosion just now, Yuri fell into deafening silence.

He didn't know why the Trickster had regressed to a child, but he knew that he only had 300+ dollars to his name. And the money that will cost from just repairing the windows was already enough to make him feel distressed, but now he had to repair the roof? 

No! this bastard must pay the price!

Without further ado, Yuri stretched out his left hand, revealing the chest watch, and pressed the start button with his right hand.

The mechanism popped up, and a DNA list appeared on the dial.

Among the ten initial DNAs, Yuri quickly made his choice.

He selected the avatar on the list, and then pressed the mechanism gently.

"I choose you! XLR8!"

A green light burst out from the dial, enveloping Yuri, followed by a painful sensation of his whole body muscles tearing apart.

Yuri's body began to change from the DNA level.

His skin became harder, covered in blue and black, with a badge on his chest in the shape of the omnitrix dial. His hands transformed into sharp claws, his legs became like those of a velociraptor, with black rollers growing under his feet, and a tail growing behind him.

The human body disappeared, replaced by the XLR8. 

  

14