v3. 90. An Alliance of Violence
163 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When they received the news that Everly was renewing hostilities, the Grand Council of Winstead, as they often did in stressful situations like this, erupted into panicked arguing.

“By the light of the gods, why can’t we stop her?” one of the councilors demanded to know.

“You’re asking me? How would I possibly know?” shouted another one.

“Weren’t you the loudest voice advocating for removing magic users from positions of authority, Lord Gregarious?” asked Caleb Vae-es Balsar, the heir to Van Balsar county, and the personal guardsman to the queen. “Why complain about our lack of available options when you were the one that made our side weaker?”

“Watch your tone, you insolent boy!” shouted Lord Gregarious, who represented the reformation movement which had long wished to remove the kingdom’s magical bloodlines from their ancestral roles as the leaders of the nation. “That decision was agreed upon by everyone on this council! Time and again the mage lines have proven themselves unworthy of the authority entrusted to them! One only has to look upon our enemy to realize the folly of turning our backs to their mischief any longer!”

Like many, he dreaded to name their opponent directly. Most called her ‘the self-proclaimed empress. Others had more forceful language by which to describe her, most popularly, that bloody witch!

Of course, the use of such vulgarities could not be condoned amongst these venerable people; after all, everyone here was far too dignified to speak like a normal person. But the words always flashed through their minds whenever they received word of the latest actions of Everly Skolder.

“But was it necessary to engage in such a purge in the midst of our current war? It certainly comes across as ill timed,” said Caleb pointedly. “It was certainly poorly planned.”

“Watch what you say, you little welp! I’ll suffer no aspersions cast upon my good name!” growled Gregarious.

“I’m a welp, am I? You’re certainly quick to resort to insults when merely asked a question. I suppose this is what comes of being...short tempered," mused Caleb, who stood more than a foot taller than the much shorter councilman.

“I’ll grind the insolence from your lanky body, you arrogant bast—"

“ENOUGH!” said the stern voice of Queen Seraphine, silencing them both immediately. She was the beautiful, eldest child of Septis, and the kingdom’s recently crowned monarch. Although young, she possessed her father’s ambitions and his taste for violence. She was determined to see her reign outlast this war.

“This is an unparalleled emergency,” she said to the two of them. “Why are the both of you squandering precious time with pointless recriminations, when the fate of my kingdom is at risk?”

“But your grace, he—" sputtered the Gregarious.

“Gregarious. You are as vital to the functioning of this council as the furnace is to the forge. You have earned no dishonor and need not defend yourself so vociferously.”

“Your grace, I thank you!” Gregarious said, bowing deeply.

“As for you, Caleb; the decision to strip the mage lines of their authority was mine alone. Gregarious was correct, it was high time they were taken to task and reminded who truly rules Winstead. Considering this uprising is being led by a member of your family, you should be grateful that I haven’t had you banished or worse.”

“What must I do to finally prove myself? How far must I go before you’ll finally be convinced that I’m not my father’s tool?” asked Caleb quietly.

“You know what I want you to do," the queen said to him. “Approach your sister when her guard is down and run her through in my name. Only when my father has been avenged will I truly accept you once more.”

Many in the room nodded in agreement at the queen’s words.

“Her majesty is truly wise,” said a solemn, scarred man, bearing one eye. “Everly Skolder is a fool besotted with love for her family. Who better to strike a killing blow than you, the dear brother she barely knows?”

“This may seem like a dishonorable tactic,” muttered another councilor. “But underhanded tactics may be the only ones which succeed. I led a charge against her at the siege of Thena’e. We held the castle against her army’s onslaught for over a week and dared to believe we’d last until reinforcements arrived. But Everly grew impatient with the performance of her generals and set herself directly against us. It was full noon that day, but…”

The councilor looked away as a single tear ran down his eye, caused by the memory now tormenting him. “By my ancestors, the sun itself turned black, as if it could not bear to see what would occur! And then she—she—she…!”

He covered his face, silenced by both shame and fear.

“Do not weep, Commander Grayner,” The queen said soothingly. “There are many of us who have suffered thanks to that scarlet-handed fiend. We all know her danger, and we are all resolved to oppose her, always.”

"Always!" shouted Gregarious.

"Until the end of everything!" shouted another.

Soon the room burst with affirmations of defiance and loyalty. The queen let it continue for some time, letting their unity calm their fears, before signaling for silence.

“I wish I could agree to this,” said Caleb apologetically. “But I am sworn to a knight’s code of honor. I won’t deceive my sister, nor will I attack her in so cowardly a manner. There is a right way of doing things, and this is not it.”

“What a remarkably stupid thing to say,” said Gregarious. "Your sister practices the black art of necromancy! She is beyond the grace of the light and completely undeserving of an honorable ending. You are too naïve, Sir Caleb.”

“Indeed, wise Gregarious,” agreed the queen. “She was the first one to discard honor when she entered my father’s home and struck him down! How could you possibly offer her such knightly consideration when she backstabbed us first?”

Caleb said nothing and looked away.

“Pathetic,” the queen said, when he refused to meet her gaze. “Remain silent then, Sir Caleb. I have no need to hear the voice of a knight who refuses to obey his liege.”

Nodding quietly, Caleb resumed his place at her side. As Seraphine gazed at him, she gripped the arms of her chair tightly and frowned in disappointment.

Why won’t you just do as I say? she thought angrily to herself. If you’d only prove yourself truly loyal, we could have something together. Caleb, you’re an utter fool.

“We must match her darkness with equal strength in the light,” said Gregarious, as Seraphine’s thoughts returned to the present discussion. “This renewed violence feels different from what came before. I say we redouble our efforts in locating the former paladin of the north, Reilly Kilo!”

“I oppose this, your majesty!” said another councilor, a frowning bald man dressed in priestly garb named Father Verisos. “However useful she was during her temporary service; the fact remains that Reilly Kilo is not one of us! In fact, she stands accused of murdering dozens of temple holy knights!”

“A blasphemous act!” said an angry voice.

“Indeed! The title of paladin should never have gone to her! There is too much about that young woman that we don’t know! How can we be certain she isn't another one of the enemy’s servants?”

“Reilly is the only weapon that can match her!” said Gregarious. “Nothing we have will suffice! Whatever the reason for her dispute with the temple, the fact remains that only she has power comparable to the so-called empress!”

“Your majesty, we must not do this!” Verisos said. “The temple is barely holding together as it is. All four of the paladins have vanished, and the council of bishops is doing everything it can to keep order. If word got out that we were depending on a known heretic for our salvation, who knows how they’ll react?”

“Can you present us with any other options?” Seraphine asked him impatiently.

“N-no, not yet, but something will surely come along,” said Verisos said desperately.

“In that case, what other choice is there?” asked the queen. "We must be willing to do whatever it takes to counter Everly. Even if it means upsetting a few clergymen. I’m afraid that survival takes precedence over religious piety.”

“Then I can only pray that this decision will not fracture us any further,” said Verisos solemnly.

“Be at peace, old man,” replied the queen. “I too despise engaging in these machinations. But our enemy is ruthless, and we must be willing to adapt if we’re to diminish the harm she seeks to cause. We will soon prove to you how right we are.”

“Then I volunteer to lead the search for her,” Caleb suddenly said. “I vow to personally locate Reilly Kilo or die in the attempt.”

“You expect me to believe your hollow words?” asked Seraphine skeptically.

“I will do anything to aid you that does not diminish our honor,” replied Caleb.

“Ha!" Laughed the queen. "Fine, I’ll take you at your word. Permission granted. But you must not fail! The continued freedom of Winstead may very well depend upon your success.”

"A responsibility I accept with the greatest solemnity, my queen,” said Caleb.

“I will offer a thousand prayers for your success. Now go.”

The council stood as one and bowed to Caleb, who bowed deeply to them in return, some more reluctantly than others.

After he marched from the chambers, the queen declared the council temporarily adjourned and urged them all to get some rest. They broke into small social groups and talked among themselves as they slowly left the room.

“He has no chance of succeeding,” said Gregarious bluntly. “The greatest investigators in the kingdom have been unable to turn up a trace of Kilo. It’s a fool’s errand.”

"I thought you said Reilly Kilo was our only hope?" Seraphine said with a raised eyebrow.

"Just a bit of pageantry to tempt young Caleb to the hook," Gregarious said smugly. "There are other options I would like to speak of with you later. Options best discussed without the overly honorable around to offer their opinions."

“In that case, thank goodness we had an excellent excuse to send him away for now,” the queen said. “I’d rather not have my childhood friend executed for defying me. However, there must be a punishment. A hopeless quest that also serves as a banishment, will do nicely."

“I thought that might be your aim,” said the amused Gregarious. “Now that’s a plot your father would have thought of.”

“Do you think so? I’m flattered,” Seraphine said with a smile.

“It would be nice to find a similar reason to rid ourselves of the sanctimonious Father Verisos.”

“I’m in complete agreement,” Seraphine said. “But we must go about it carefully. The temple remains a powerful ally.”

“Not so powerful that it can prevent a little accident from happening,” Gregarious said primly. “Elderly people fall down their stairs all time.”

Again, Seraphine found herself smiling at the old man’s words. “Yes, I suppose they do.”

__

 

Seraphine sighed in relief when she entered her chambers. She was bone tired. The common people had a clever saying for times like this: Heavy is the head that wears the crown. It was an apt description of her daily life since accepting her royal title. She honestly wondered sometimes if she had somehow displeased the gods her family venerated.

Every day that she was forced to deal with this crisis was exhausting. Winstead was a beacon of strength and tradition to the world. She had a duty to outlast this crisis and see to it that Everly Skolder was put down like the mad dog that she was. The kingdom could have only one ruler, and it would not be some baseborn usurper.

Why was she being tested like this? Seraphine had dreamed of the day she would inherit the crown and begin correcting the many mistakes her father had made during his reign. She would be strong, ruthless, and unbending. A force unlike any other! The most powerful woman to ever live! She was certain that she would become an invincible legend, worthy of the legacy her ancestors had left her. Seraphine, the warrior queen!

And yet, despite her expectations, Everly Skolder had happened.

Wretched cow. Thieving bitch, oh, I hate her so much!

Life should have been perfect. It would have been perfect, if not for the sudden arrival of this rebel and her inexplicable power. She’d thrown the entire country into chaos, divided families, sacked great cities, and now aimed her sight on the capital. She dared to proclaim that the whole of Winstead would be hers before the year ended, and so far, that arrogant claim appeared to be coming true.

Come at me, you vile thing. I swear I’ll be the one to end you, she promised herself.

Seraphine found the news incredible when Everly first began her campaign of conquest. She’d attended classes with her at the Royal Academy, and found it difficult to believe that the quiet, bullied little girl that she didn’t deign to speak with had somehow become the superhuman leader of an army of undead abominations. Had she always been that powerful and was merely hiding her strength? Impossible! Why would anyone do anything as pointless as that?

It was obvious that Everly had backers. This entire thing was a charade meant to overwhelm the gullible. But Seraphine wouldn’t fall for it! Soon, she’d have her hands on the would-be Empress. Then she’d put her thoroughly to the question and make her confess to all her schemes. Once her handlers were named and identified, a purge the likes of which Winstead had never experienced would then commence.

You’ll pay for your little games, Everly. I promise you. We’ll see which of us is left standing in the end.

Lost in thoughts of vengeance, Seraphine poured herself a glass of wine and sat at her table, sipping her drink as she considered the events of the day.

Caleb had once more disappointed her. How many opportunities could she continue to give the fool before she was forced to throw him away? All he had to do was dispose of his bastard sister and deliver his queen the victory she deserved. And yet, not only did he refuse to do so, now he was arguing the point in public!

This is undoubtedly due to the influence of my idiot cousin, Ian, she thought dourly. That’s the problem with these heroic types. Their way of thinking is practically infectious!

Prince Ian Kane. The beloved Dragon Slayer, the great hero of the country! Seraphine could stand the fool and found it difficult to believe they were family. What had her father’s purpose been in summoning him back from his banishment? He should have been left to rot in the far north alongside all the unwanted remnants of the civil war.

Instead, he’d returned to her father’s court and began promptly making a name for himself. Winning allies, and admiration, as well as earning the love of the small people with his effortless heroics and endless adventure. It was as though he were running for office! Unfortunately for her, Caleb was one of the young men at court who had been won over by his chivalrous ways.

Caleb is mine. Since childhood, he’s been mine to mold and mine to play with. I don’t share my toys! Not with anyone! I don’t want him to be a hero, I want him to be my pretty, broken little angel. And anyone who gets in the way of that will pay!

It was all so very, very frustrating…

And then Seraphine had an idea!

Oh, this was good. This was very, very good!

Stupid cousin Ian used to spend hours speaking with Everly during our days at the academy, just before she disappeared. Everyone knew about it, even though it was an absolute scandal, considering her baseborn status.

What if I decided that he was the one who convinced my father to hold negotiations with that witch? That would make him responsible for the assassination! That would give me all the reasons I need to have Ian executed!

A smile grew on Seraphine’s face as she considered the awful possibilities. That’ll teach him to pull my Caleb’s attention away from me! Why thank you, Everly Skolder! You’ve proven yourself to be surprisingly useful—

“Your majesty! Your majesty!” cried an urgent voice from the hall.

“What is it?” she snapped, displeased at having her pleasant thoughts interrupted.

“The armies of the Empress! They’re approaching the capital!” said the frightened messenger. “We’ll be surrounded within the hour!”

Terror suddenly surged throughout Seraphine’s heart. Surrounded? HOW? How did no one see their approach? How did they get here so quickly? How did they bypass so many defenses to reach here? This can’t possibly be so!

“Your majesty, what are your orders? Your majesty, what should we do? Your majesty? Your majesty? Please tell us what to do!” the voice said desperately.

Seraphine sat staring at a wall, uncertain of how to answer him. Uncertain of what would happen next.

“Am I going to lose?” she meekly asked the empty room.

She soon had her answer.

6