Harem of Saeculum: Rise of Man – Chapter Twenty-Five
65 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A cacophony of pain springs me conscious. Piles of rubble lay around me. I look up and see a dim light. The three women lay beside me. We'd fallen into a pool of water. The only thing that saved us from a fall that distance. They looked unharmed, and so did I. One of them must have pulled me and the others out of the water; otherwise, we'd drown. I broke out a wrist flashlight and scanned the area. The light reveals an underground tunnel, much like those in a bunker. I count at least four levels about us. 'If we'd fallen further, we might have died anyway.' I pull myself to my feet, still reeling from the pain. That monstrous eyeball creature didn't follow us. Faint gunfire came from above. That meant Shaw was still alive. If anyone would get out of this death trap, it was him. He'd fall back to the jeep and regroup. I check my radio, and it's in working order. If he was fighting, a radio call could kill him. For that matter, I turn the volume down and plug in an earpiece. The radio could get us killed just as quickly. With my bearings set, for the most part, I check on the three vixens. Each has a steady pulse. They were just knocked out cold.

 

'I can't leave them here alone like this, but someone needs to fund a way out.' The option to climb out was there. We just needed to find a sturdy rope of some kind. Nothing nearby fits the requirements. I took another look at the unconscious women. Saoirse seemed like she was coming too. A weak cry of pain came out of her mouth. 

 

"Where are you hurt?" I questioned. 

 

"Hmph… Aw… I'm unharmed," the native woman said.

 

"We're in some tunnel or underground structure. I'm going to find a way out. Can you stay here with them?" I said.

 

She looked up and studied the drop. Then looked back at me. "Why not climb out?" Saoirse asked.

 

"That's an option. We need to find a rope or something to climb out with," I said.

 

"I can climb out without needing rope," Saoirse countered. 

 

"You and I can, but can they?" I pointed out. "Stay here and take care of those two," I said.

 

"Very well, as you woman, I shall do so," Saoirse whispered. 

 

I ignored her mention of being my woman. This wasn't the time to address such absurd things. I gave her my sidearm and magazines. Saoirse picked up on how to use our weapons fast. Adapting was crucial for her survival. I make my way down the narrow corridor. It was long and damp. These were service tunnels of some kind. These must have been abandoned for centuries. My heavy boot stomps echo as I walk. I wasn't sneaking up on anyone. It's a good thing that wasn't my intention. An open door comes up on my right. The door stood ajar. I shined my flashlight inside the room. Inside was machinery of some kind that long since fell into disrepair. As of now, there is nothing but useless scrap to be found. The machinery was eerily similar to a generator. Looking over it a little closer gave the impression I was right. A language similar to American English was printed on various spots. 

 

There is nothing of worth at the moment for the generator-like machine. More rooms reveal various devices and equipment that's purpose was evident. 'If I can find cables or chains, that would serve our needs.' I came to a four-way intersection. Three choices lay before me. All equally foreboding yet all having the potential for a way out. I chose right with no evidence of this being a promising path. More rooms lie ahead. I checked a few and found some helpful material. Enough to craft a crude rope. I continue on, seeking more material to fashion a makeshift rope. Luck seemed to be on my side as there was abundant suitable material. 

 

Something caught my eye when I had enough material to make what we needed. A flickering light came from further down the corridor. My curiosity was piqued, and I cautiously approached the light source. It came from a half-ajar door. I push the door open to a room filled with various items, supplies, and equipment. Almost like someone lived here some time ago. On one side of the room, a small cottage with a skeleton lies in a corner. Whoever it was, died some time ago. The skeleton was human and wore a recognizable uniform. A state trooper from my world. Even with the weathered and worn condition of the clothes. I knew who this was. A man named Albert Gallagher. He and his partner Wendy Palin went missing nearly ten years ago. The thought of other people from my world ending up here was shocking. 'How many more missing people might have ended up here. There was no shortage of unexplainable missing person cases.' A sound caught my ear, and I spun around. A human child stood at the door. No older than eight or nine. Her bright blue eyes reflect off the light from my torch. A woman appears behind her, and I'm taken aback by what I see. The woman pointed a shotgun-esque weapon at me. I slowly put my flashlight and m-249 on the floor and then raised my hands.

 

"Easy now, my name's Thomas Hawthorne. I'm from Pineford," I said calmly.

 

"Impossible; who the hell are you, and how did you get here?" The woman barked.

 

Her demeanor was definitely defensive due to her momma-bear stance. The trio of children around her made that much clear. This must be Wendy Palin. The worn-out name tag was still readable. 

 

"Listen, I told you who I am. I'm ex-military. Sheriff Orkan is here too," I countered.

 

"You're fucking with me! No human from my world is in this God-forsaken landscape!! Now, tell me why you are here? Did you follow us into the ruins? Tell me, or I'll fill you with holes!" Wendy snapped. 

 

"You're Wendy Palin, a state trooper. You and Albert Gallagher went missing ten years ago after you responded to a call. Everyone from Pineford knows that. The whole territory knows. No one knew what happened to you until now," I explained. 

 

"You're telling me you are from some kind of rescue team? Ten years after the fact?" Wendy blurted.

 

"Not exactly; Pineford is here. Wherever this world is, the entire town was brought here," I revealed. 

 

"I don't understand? How can a whole town be here in this hellscape?" Wendy asked.

 

The missing Trooper's stance has eased, and her weapon has lowered. Now that she was calmer, I could talk to her.

 

"It's a bit complicated and confusing. Over two days ago, by our time standard, we found ourselves here. From what we know, mostly women and children are here. About half the adult population of women and all the children. That's not all, either. There seem to be other versions of Pineford merging together. At least three that we know of now. The population from each is different but similar in ways," I revealed.

 

"So, you're telling me there's no rescue?" Palin whispered.

 

"I don't know; I'm sure the rest of the country has noticed the disappearance of a town. Especially one near a military base," I stated.

 

"Why are you here?" Palin asked.

 

"To find out where those monsters were coming from and somehow prevent them from attacking a nearby settlement," I explained.

 

"Another town from our world?" the woman questioned.

 

"Not from our world. Those people didn't fare well," I said.

 

"Okay, you seem safe enough to me. Can't be too careful with the girls now," Wendy said.

 

"What happened to Trooper Gallagher?" I whispered, looking at the cottage in the corner.

 

She sighed as if remembering something that made her feel guilty.

 

"He… he went to find some medicine. I was sick right after I gave birth to our last girl. Albert… never came back. It was over a year before I was well enough to search for him. All I found was…," the Trooper said.

 

"I'm… sorry for your loss," I said.

 

"Well, this world will take the best of us, but not my girls," Wendy stated.

 

"Do you know a way out?" I asked.

 

"There's a way to the surface. Those eye monsters don't come down here to the sub-levels," Wendy said.

 

"Okay, I have some people with me. Can you lead them back to our humvee? From there, they can guide you back to the settlement," I said.

 

"How many?" the Trooper inquired.

 

"Four, one of my friends is still above," I said.

 

The Trooper nods, and I leave the room, picking up my light and weapon. Leading her to the others. The woman didn't say much, keeping her children behind her. 

 

Once we got to the others. Charlotte and Georgia were awake now. Seeing the new party, Saoirse stood up. Ready to defend the two women. I put my hand up, and she relaxed. From there, we follow the Trooper for a long while. Every now and then, gunfire sounds off from above. Then a crackling came over the radio.

 

"Thomas, what's your location?" Shaw asked.

 

"We're in sublevels under the ruins. We found survivors; we're being led out. Can you hold on until I get to the gate?" I asked.

 

"Yeah, I can. What's your plan?" Shaw asked.

 

"I'm going to blow the gate, causing a collapse. Be ready to make a break for the gate," I explained.

 

"Copy that; I'll buy as much time as possible," Shaw said.

 

Sealing this godforsaken place off was a priority now. If those things reach Pineford, it would be a bloodbath buffet. I stopped for a moment and devised a plan. The most logical course was to collapse the gate tunnel. 'Hell, how am I supposed to do that? Then I remembered the Trooper's husband. Among the various supplies and gear was what seemed to be explosives." That's it, the supplies were there. All I needed to do was get back to the surface. 

 

"Saoirse, listen… once you get to the humvee, head back to the others.  Shaw and I will handle this here. Wendy can drive, just show her the way," I instructed. 

 

"No, if you intend to face the beasts, I will fight at your side. As one of your women and a warrior, it is my duty," Saoirse stated.

 

“Hold on… first off, you plan to fight those eye monsters? And what does she mean by one of you women?” Wendy said, defensively.

 

“Look, pay no attention to that. Her people are natives of this world. More importantly, I saw what seemed to be explosives back in that room. I can use that to collapse the entrance,” I explained.

 

“I don’t know what’s going on with you, but my babies come first. You’d be mad to try fighting those things. It’d take dynamite to kill one unless you could somehow get close with a shotgun or some kind of sword. That’s assuming you don’t get overpowered,” Wendy countered.

 

“That’s all the intel I need. Besides, those things need to be contained. It’s only a matter of time before they reach the town. If that happens…,” I said.

 

“Listen here you muscle bound giant. Albert tried the same damn thing and it was a bust. There’s too many and they have the range advantage,” Wendy snapped.

 

“All the more reason to do this. Shaw is running out of ammo. I’m doing this now. Take the others and make a break for it,” I said, turning around.

 

“God damn, you’re insane! You’re just going to get yourself killed,” Wendy yelled.

 

“No, you are wrong, woman, Thomas Hawthrone has defeated far superior foes. He will best these beasts. Have faith in him. You will see that he is worthy,” Saoirse said with an unshakeable confidence.

Her words seem to catch the Trooper off guard. I sensed she hadn’t had anyone to depend on in a long while. Raising her children alone was a testament to this woman’s resolve and sheer will. Her children only knew her and his place. I heard a sigh as she resolved to guide Charlotte and Georgia to safety. Those two were at wits end as well. ‘Their whole life here had been plagued by these beasts. No one living in this world had it easy.’ As their footsteps drew farther away, a second set of footsteps echoed with mine. At this point, there was no convincing Saoirse to go with the others. She was indeed a warrior through and through. ‘I wonder if she even knows what fear is?’

1