Harem of Saeculum: Rise of Man – Chapter Twelve
254 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The strange woman worked at her workbench, doing various things. She seems to know we are from two different worlds. The notion puzzled her. I learned this was the land of the dead. A cursed land full of horrors, as she put it. I shouldn’t be far from where she found me. In the morning, I can take her to the town for safety. As I watched her, an unrelenting dread crept over me. It is just like last time with the monster I faced. This time, something even more sinister came along with it. Aphanea perked up instantly. I could see her trembling. 

 

“A-Aphanea…,” a deep rigid voice whispered. It sounds like three or more people speaking at once.

 

“Aphanea???” the voice said again, dragging out her name.

 

She quivered more and crawled into bed with me. I hold her as she covers her ears and buries her face in my chest. I knew the look of absolute terror. The voice outside didn’t sound natural or pleasant. I wrap my arms around her as the voice continues.

 

“Aphanea… why don’t you come out… and join me…,” it said.

 

“I know where you are, little child of Isisha. Come, join me. You won’t be an outcast in my domain,” it said.

 

The pale-skinned Lamia stays silent. Her body flinches every time it speaks. ‘Who or what is this thing?’ I knew it wasn’t alone. The monster I saw before was out there searching for her. I hear rocks and dead trees snapping. Whatever this thing was, it didn’t know exactly where she was. ‘How long has she had to endure this?’ 

 

“Child of the tribe of Isisha. Come... Come to be where those like you will welcome you as an equal. My master has so much in store for you. If you only take up his generous offer,” it said, emphasizing each word.

 

Aphanea looks into my eyes. She is in danger, and so am I. My mind thought of what I could do. In my pack, I have the means to fight back. Inside is one magazine of armor-piercing rounds and one magazine of incendiary rounds. The rest were standard rounds, but there were an additional four flares and a flare gun with four shots. Its eyes and underbelly are its known weak spots. ‘If I could get under the monster after using a flare.’ We’d still need a fast getaway. I figure I am somewhere between ten and twenty miles from town. A jeep could make it here fast, depending on the terrain. A jeep is the only way to outrun this creature. I’m betting a flare will be visible for miles. This could work if we can distance ourselves from that monster. Just a little to give me a chance to fight it. I look into Aphanea’s eyes.

 

“Tell me, who is that voice?” I whispered.

 

“Qrurcean… an undead…,” she whispered.

 

“What does he want with you?” I asked.

 

I see the fear in her eyes. I look her in the eyes, and she merely buries her head in my chest again. This isn’t a good sign at all. She fears him, but there is good reason to fear. This Qrurcean means to harm her or use her. Probably both, to be honest. From what I could hear, they were getting closer. At least three, maybe four. This undead entity didn’t sound too pleasant. I wasn’t about to find out what she meant by the undead. Not without being ready. A sudden racket came from somewhere outside. It was far off, but Aphanea stiffened up.

 

“I’m getting closer, little Isisha child…,” the voice said with a sly chuckle.

 

“I know you found the man, the one that sacred off my children. He cannot help you, child. He and all those that came to this land shall die tonight,” he said. 

 

“Listen… we have to go. What direction do the suns set?” I questioned.

 

She pointed in that direction. All we need to do is go the opposite way. I quietly get up. As I thought, my leg supported my weight. Aphanea held me from behind, and I turned to her. I find it difficult to cope with the way her eyes plead for me to stay, but I know we can’t. If we stayed together, I knew both of us would be in danger of dying. I wasn’t letting her go. My heart has never felt this way, but I can say only a few people can ever get me to feel anything close to what I feel for her. Losing her now would be unbearable. I could not go back to being that person after meeting someone who made me feel this way. I gave her my vest, fitting it around her chest tight. Then I put the rest of my gear on, loading the armor-piercing magazine.

 

“Sheriff Orkan, this is Thomas Hawthorne. I’m making a break for the town. We’re in danger and need to move. I’m using a signal flare. If you see it, head that way as fast as you can,” I said.

 

“Son, it’s pitch black out there. Are you sure about this?” he asked.

 

“No… but there is no choice…,” I countered.

 

There is a long pause. It puzzled Aphanea that I was talking to someone who wasn’t with us. It reminds her of how Qrurcean voice can appear out of thin air and seem like he is standing right beside her. I guess to her, this was magic. 

 

“Alright, I’m on the way,” he said.

 

I look into her eyes to see the trust in her gaze. She knows I will do anything in my power to protect her. I’d only known her briefly, but she’s putting her life in my hands. The triggering sound of another one of Aphanea’s warning traps alert me that something has breached the perimeter. This time it was closer, much closer.

 

“We have to run now. Run as fast as you can in the opposite way the sun sets. Don’t stop for anything. Do you understand?” I asked.

 

“Yes…,” she said, gripping my hand. 

 

I didn’t want to let her go for anything. The only way to protect her was to fight. So that’s what I will do. I move the barrier, and she gathers a few things into a rucksack. She takes her bow and leather quiver in her hand, then slings them over her shoulders. I watch her pick the bone sword off the ground. She held its hilt tightly in her hands. She looks at me and nods once she is ready. It was dark outside, but the moon or moons gave off enough light to travel. Three larger-than-life moons came into view as we exited the cave. I spot one monster crest at one hill looking for us. I could clearly see it now. Somehow, the light must have made it translucent. This monster can hunt during the day or night. Aphanea points toward the direction we need to go. I check to see if our path is clear, then I pull her that way without a second thought. The creatures are closer than I expected. I can’t let off a flare until I know my people have spotted us. I know this is the only chance we’d get to put distance between the undead and us. We ran as fast as our legs could take us while running quietly. I spotted another one in the distance, to our left. That makes two now. A moment later, another far to the right, three now. 

 

“Aphanea… this game must end. It must end now. Come with me, and my master shall guide you to your destiny…,” Qrurcean said. 

 

Somehow, I felt that he was far away now. That is a good thing, but there is no telling how far he is. Time is not on our side. The dead forest was definitely more active at night. A faint glow of flames came from the left. That was West, way near the horizon. Now that my eyes have adjusted. Glooms of camps dotted the horizon in all directions. To the East, I can see the massive glow of light coming from the city of Pineford. Two tiny dots came from the outskirts of town. That had to be Orkan. The situation went from a scumbling rush to flee to a game of cat and mouse. At any time, one of those undead monsters could spot something else or us lurking out tonight. 

 

“Are you running away, little child?” Qrurcean asked. His voice sounds like it’s all around us.

 

“Where would you go? You have no home. No tribe. No one wants you…,” Qrurcean said in a hissing voice.

 

I felt her stop, so I turned to her. Tears of fear, shame, and anguish were on her face. I pull her to me. Wrapping my large arms around her. ‘This is what she’s suffered all this time alone?’ Her soft sobs served to fill me with rage. I wanted to end this undead thing. For the torment he’s put her through. I didn’t care what she was keeping from me. Whatever deception she was up to didn’t matter. Everyone has their secrets, and I am no different. I look her in the eyes and kiss her. The tension in her melts away. Her mind eases if only a little. I take her hand, and the hunt continues. I hear loud screech echoes in the night. From behind us, I dart to the nearest hillcrest, sliding over the crest with Aphanea in tow and gripping my rifle. I hear it coming fast.

 

The monster pops over the hilltop, and I unload. A full spray obliterates the monster’s underbelly, and it slumps over. I load my next magazine, then fire my first flare. It rockets high in the sky, lighting the area with a hot red glow. I pull Aphanea up and sling my rifle. I pull my magnum from my holster to point it at its head. Without a thought, I carefully put three bullets through its eye sockets. The woman couldn’t believe the beast was dead. It's hard armored shell didn’t extend to its belly. The sound of high pitch screeches echoes all around us. I pull her along again, and we sprint at full speed. 

 

They were extremely fast and supernaturally agile. The leftmost one was gaining. I pushed Aphanea ahead, making sure she stayed on course. The beast’s whitish body turns blacker at its appendages. Each one of the eight legs ends with a razor-sharp talon thick enough to impale a man. Four more arm-like appendages bore lethal talons with a greater reach. The head of the beast showcases dozens if not a hundred, little and big eyes. To top it off, three scorpion-like tails that stringers would squash a man, let alone poison them. I could see the sadistic glare in its eyes. I enjoyed the chase. Whatever intelligence this nightmare creation had was beyond sinister. I kept my peripheral vision on both. A growl mixed with a scream of hellish origin comes from behind.

 

“Do you think the man can save you? My master has sealed his fate! I shall visit upon him every conceivable torment imaginable!” Qrurcean yelled in anguish.

 

“Keep running Aphanea!” I shouted.

 

I duck and slide as it jumps over me. As it came over, I squeezed the trigger and unleashed the incendiary rounds all over its belly. Whitish blood with a purplish hue covers my face and body. The monster tumbled over, bursting into flames. I sling my weapon as it flops and kicks around in pain. I draw my shotgun and empty the five slugs into its face, splattering more of its blood all over me. Aphanea didn’t stop running, and I reloaded my weapons while I caught up. Orkan was steadily approaching. Just a little longer. The last of the monsters were closing in from the right. Of the three, it was the biggest, and first I encountered. 

 

“Kill the man!! Let nothing stop you from tearing him apart, my servants!” Qrurcean yelled in a commanding voice.

 

The air instantly became static, like a charge of electricity coursing through the air. A bad feeling rose in my stomach. Aphanea stops dead in her tracks at the top of the next hill. I come to the crest and see what startled her. The ground was moving. An eerie green aura surrounds them. People were crawling out of the earth, not digging their way out. Except they weren’t quite right. The creatures before me are more like zombies from a cheesy horror flick. ‘Undead… this is what she meant. I cuss myself. The land of the dead, right?’ I saw dozens of them, if not more, pulling themselves free from the earth. Each carrying some sort of rusted melee weapon. She drew her bow and hit one after another. I fired another flare, lighting the sky up, then I let loose. Short, controlled bursts to either their center of mass or head. The force of the bullets was enough to shred most to pieces. Each of the undead zombies is carrying some sort of rusted melee weapon. She drew her bow and hit one after another. I fired another flare, lighting the sky up, then I let loose. Short, controlled bursts to either their center of mass or head. The force of the bullets was enough to shred most to pieces. 

 

I heard something big swoop over my head. I spun around to see a giant winged beast. Parts of its body had holes revealing its insides, while others you could see all the way through. The wingspan alone stretched out over four car lengths long. Four legs bore giant talons made for hunting large game. The creature’s burning orange eyes contain only hate and malice. I see a half-dead dragon-like animal with a sole rider on its back. A monster playing at a man stared back at me with glowing red eyes. Green-tinted skin and tatter stringy white hair made his undead look complete. The man was at least my height or taller. What I see is a true monster among men. In one hand, it held a giant stone club, and the other gripped the reins of the undead dragon. The last monster came from behind, brooding with anger and hate. They wait as the horde of dead men draws closer. I grab Aphanea’s arm and pull her along. We didn’t have time for this. I toss frag grenades to either side and mow down the ones in front. 

 

‘Bang!’

 

The frags went off behind us. We kept running, not looking back. The hellish cries of the monsters as they tried to reach us made my blood run cold. 

 

I spot the giant spider-slash scorpion monster shadowing us on the hilltop. It was getting ready to come in for the kill. We’re ahead of the horde of dead, but this beast can end it all for us. I have two flashbangs and one frag left, plus two smoke grenades. This one isn’t going to show its belly easily or fall for the flare trick twice. I need to force a situation where I have an advantage. My rounds aren’t penetrating that thick armor. A plan forms in my head. I got to flush this monster out. 

 

“Keep going Aphanea! Those lights ahead are coming for us!” I said.

 

Orkan was closer now. Just minutes away now. The monster makes its attack charge. It came at me fast. I pop a flare and toss it right in its path. It veers away just in time to close the distance. My next move was already ready. I throw the smoke grenade at it, and well in front of me, just behind Aphanea. Thank God she was faster than me. The smoke confuses it, and it plows through the harmless smoke. ‘Clever monster indeed, but just what I wanted.’ It makes a change as I enter the smoke ahead. I steered to the right, coming out of the smoke with the flashbangs ready. Just as I planned, it went right through the cloud of smoke. I toss one in front and behind as it searches for me. 

 

‘Bang! Bang!’

 

The creature staggers in shock and confusion. I tossed two flares in front of it and slid under it, spraying a full magazine into its belly. Then I stuff one last flare inside the open wound with the last frag. With that, I roll all the way out from under it and jump for cover. 

 

‘Boom!’

 

A mass of whitish-purple blood rains down everywhere, drenching my clothes. I reload as I get to my feet and run. A woman screams ahead over me. That half-dead dragon somehow has Aphanea in one of its feet. The vast wingspan is out, and the beast lifts off. I try to get a shot, but the fear of hitting Aphanea holds me back. The sickening laughter of the undead man named Qrurcean rallied an unquenchable rage inside me. He and his undead dragon hover high out of reach, looking at me. Aphanea screams in terror, calling out to me.

 

“You cannot protect her. Men like you have destinies set in stone. You are to die alone and in agony. Aphanea belongs to my master now. Submit to your fate, little man. If you do not, best you suffer a worse fate than death,” Qrurcean said.

 

I ignored his words. Nothing he was saying interested or phased me in the least bit. Aphanea was my only focus. One of two goals that etched into my being. Save Aphanea and protect her and my sisters.

 

“I’m coming for you, Aphanea Isisha. No matter what it takes, I’m getting you back. Not even death can stop me from this,” I yelled.

 

My words only enrage the undead man. I can see the hope in her eyes. She believes me.

 

“Endure Aphanea, no matter what… survive until I have you back. Whatever it takes, Aphanea!” I said.

 

“I will… my love…,” she yelled.

 

“So will I… my love!” I answered.

 

The dragon veers away, heading in a southbound direction. I watch and notice every detail about the night sky, the moon’s positions, and the landscape. I burn the information into my head, not wanting to forget any detail. I memorized every single light that dotted the horizon. I will find her again and bring her back. My hands were in fists. So much so that blood leaks from my palms. I walk to where her rucksack lays and pick it up. Her bow, quiver, and sword were left behind. The sound of a jeep grew louder until the headlights of Orkan’s cruiser came around a low hill. Rhonda and Deputy Fulton were with him. They all exit and are heavily armed.

 

“What that… what do I think it was?” Rhonda blurted.

 

“Jesus! Are those zombies?” Fulton stuttered.

 

Orkan didn’t say a word. I turn and empty every magazine I have left for my rifle. No one said a word as the last of the undead no longer moved. The sheriff merely watches as I get in the back seat. He makes one last scan of the area and orders the others into the jeep. 

 

“What were those things?” Fulton asked.

 

“Save it for later, Gracie…,” Rhonda whispered. Fulton didn’t say another one. 

 

She got the gist of what Rhonda was saying. The drive back to town was one of absolute silence.

____

Orkan stopped in front of the hospital. He honked the horn, and his two deputies exited through the entrance of the building. The new deputies are ones I did not recognize or the uniforms they were. The deputies are young and very attractive. He sat with his hands on the wheel. The sheriff has always been a quiet man. As long as I’ve known him, the sheriff has been straightforward. I knew what he was about to ask. The man knows when someone is about to go off the deep end. Or whether they are about to wage a personal war. He saw it one too many times. A man in his mid-fifties with the body and stamina of a thirty-year-old man at his peak. He pulls a cigar from the glove compartment and hands me one. We stay silent as he cuts the ends off both and lights both up. He takes a long pull and blows it out slowly. 

 

“Thomas… what happened out there?” he asked in a deep voice.

 

“Same thing that happens every time a man goes off into the unknown…,” I whispered.

 

“I’m not going to tell you what to do, but if you plan on waging war, you better know what you are dealing with,” he said.

 

“Those boys didn’t stand a chance. Something drew them out there. You know I can’t let that happen again,” I said.

 

“And how do we do that?” he questions.

 

“I don’t know yet, but,” I whispered.

 

“But you got something out there you need to do?” he said.

 

“Yeah… I’d be dead if it wasn’t for her. Now those monsters have her,” I whispered.

 

“These… monsters... can they be killed?” he questioned.

 

“The spider slash scorpions fear fire and have a soft underbelly. Standard rounds won’t dent that armor of theirs. Those… zombies are easy enough to handle from a distance. Not sure about close combat,” I explained.

 

“Well, I ain’t letting you go alone. Rhonda is going wherever you plan to,” he said.

 

“Kurt, that’s a death sentence. Not counting she’s your damn daughter…,” I snapped.

 

“She’s the most equipped to handle the environment. Did I tell you she made the cut as a navy seal? She didn’t stay long after that, but she is a seal. The woman is harder than steel and did it just out of spite. She was top of a class full of the toughest men,” he said. 

I could hear the proudness in his voice. The man trusted his daughter to live through hell.

 

“I guess no isn’t a viable answer?” I questioned.

 

“No, it’s an order sergeant,” he whispered.

 

“Right…,” I said.

 

“Let’s get through the night first,” he said.

6