Harem of Saeculum: Rise of Man – Chapter Seventeen
186 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rhonda pulled the vehicle to a halt. The four of us stare at the reason we are here. A camp can be noticeable at a distance of about seven or eight kilometers. I can see it through my binoculars. I sensed her presence. Aphanea is somewhere in that camp. The half-dead dragon flew up and headed south. She wasn’t with it now. The sight of that deathly dragon confirms she is inside. I pan my binoculars, soaking in all the details. A crude wooden wall surrounded the camp. Those same zombie-like warriors patrol the perimeter. I spot a dozen, maybe more of the spider-scorpions around as well. We’d need to get in and out fast to avoid those. I killed three at great expense.

 

“How are we going to get in there?” Kathy whispered.

 

“We ain’t…,” Grace said. “Get your rifle out. You said you’re a sharpshooter? Time to prove it,” Grace added.

 

“Fine, I’ll make you eat your words,” Kathy snapped.

 

“Go right ahead, Mrs. Taylor. I’ll be happy if we get out alive,” Grace said.

 

“What’s the play, Thor?” Rhonda said.

 

“Distractions are our best bet to sneak in. I can get in with that. However, I’m more worried about those things,” I said, pointing to the monsters.

 

“Those again, huh? The fifty cal and m-two-four-nine can handle those. Grace can take the fifty. We’ll lay down suppressing fire when the shit hits the fan,” Rhonda said. 

 

“Okay. What distractions and what type are we talking about?” Grace asked.

 

“Flares… to the north, south, and west,” I explained.

 

“We’re to the north, Thomas,” Kathy said.

 

“If this bad guy is smart, he’ll know Thomas is coming from the north. That’s why he’s attacking from the south or west. The east is where we’ll be,” Rhonda explained. “Right, big guy?” she added.

 

“You hit it right on the nail. Rhonda and I will set the decoys. Kathy, unpack that drone and get it in the air. Get us a bird’s-eye view of the inside in the meantime,” I said. 

 

With our plan set, Rhonda and I gathered the needed supplies. Moments later, we head off. I packed a couple of explosives in case more firepower was necessary and slid the enormous sword between my back and backpack. I wasn’t leaving this place intact. It’s too close to the town, about one hundred and twenty miles away. We made our way quietly about one kilometer away from the camp. Rhonda picked the perfect spot to set up the first decoys. Rhonda kept her eyes and ears open as I worked. It took some time, but we did it right. Now, we slowly made the rotation to the west. Some monsters came really close but didn’t sense us. ‘They must rely heavily on sight. Meaning sound could be a weakness.’ A plan comes to mind. For the next set of decoys, I’ll add a little extra.

 

Time passes quickly, and we find ourselves at the second location two hours later. Another fifteen minutes passed, and the second set of traps was ready to move on. Now that the explosives are in place, it’s time to move to the southmost position. From there, Rhonda will make her way to the west, where she’ll link up three kilometers from the decoy location. Time flies by fast, but we make good time. I set the last of the traps and gave Rhonda the all-set signal. She crawls next to me. Her body is right up next to mine. This moment is the first time I’ve come this close to her. I could smell her scent. It’s sweet like strawberries. Her scent is pleasant, like Aphanea’s. The events of tonight granted me the fortune to see her move through the night in the moonlight. I don’t know why my mind is in the gutter, but it puts me in the perfect position to see her plump derriere many times. My thoughts for Rhonda and Aphanea threatened to cloud my mind, so I compartmentalized those thoughts. I realized her presence aroused me, but it wasn’t just her. I felt the same feelings in the presence of Grace and Kathy. My body responded at the thought of all four of them. The bulge in my pants causes me to sweat. I refocus my attention on the mission.

 

“You sure you want to go it alone?” Rhonda whispered.

 

“I’m not putting you in danger. Not unless there’s no option. You’re Orkan’s little girl. You’re grown up, but I will hate myself if you get hurt or worse,” I whispered.

 

“Damn it, Thomas! I’m a grown woman. You don’t need to protect me. Someone has to watch your back…,” she said.

 

I put my hand on her head, pulling her closer to me. Her face is inches from mine. The moonlight reflects off her ocean blue eyes.

 

“Rhonda, we can beat the odds with modern tactics. I can get in and out with Aphanea. That will allow you to scoop us up as we escape. That’s where I need you. Otherwise, this really will be a one-way trip for me,” I whispered.

 

“Listen, you giant fool… you better not die for this woman. I can’t see why you can’t see what you have right in front of you,” she whispered.

I’ve never heard her speak like that. Rhonda is a tough girl. She never shows weakness. ‘What did she mean right in front of me?’ She looks at me with eyes full of emotion. Her lips are right there, so close I can smell her breath. It’s intoxicating, and I take in her scent. I wanted to ask her what she meant. Before I could ask, she kissed me on the cheek. Her action sent a thunder of emotions through my body. My body went primal, and I didn’t hesitate for a second. I pull her in closer, wrapping my arms around her tightly. I hold her for a fleeting moment as I look into her eyes before gently kissing her. Her body goes motionless from my touch. That didn’t last long. A moment later, she embraces me as I kiss her with a passion I did not know I had. It didn’t matter to me that this kiss was out of character for her. All I felt at that moment was her lips. We hold each other for what feels like hours, but she pulls back first. Her eyes tell me she knows we have a job to finish. After that, she was sneaking off like a silent predator. All there was to do now was wait. My thoughts linger on Rhonda. I know I will have to clarify how I feel about her later.

5