Domirella: The Surreal Succubi – Chapter One
521 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's the night shift again, which is how my life is going. I hate working at night. Even more, is the late night to the early morning shift. My eyes tiredly watch the road ahead of me. A paved rural highway like any other. A forest on one side and empty fields on the other. I also didn't enjoy driving at night. It's more than an inconvenience, but the situation required my compliance. So, I'm driving at midnight on my way to work with less than the ideal sleep requirement. 'Maybe taking this job at the plant was a mistake.' It's in the middle of nowhere and doesn't offer a work-from-home option. That wasn't the only downside. The closest proper town is two hours away in every direction. The nearest major city with a hospital is over four hours away. As such, in a severe emergency, only small emergency room centers or clinics were available. But as they say, I chose this job. Take it or leave it; that means the good and the terrible that goes with it.

Scientific research is my life, and I have worked hard to get where I am. As a man of science, this is my ideal job, and I'm damn good at it. Despite my years in the military, my name always came up at the top of any recommendation list. So here I am. After everything, I work at a premiere research facility in my chosen field. I'm doing that right now. What I didn't expect were the absurd hours. Even scientists need to sleep once in a while. I wasn't even a scientist or department head with a team or lead scientist working on a specific project.

It didn't help that I lived two hours away. There were no residences or apartments available in such a small rural town. It's the same for many of my colleagues working at the plant. Add to that; the miserable weather. It had been raging for the better part of a day with no signs of ending. The heavy rain meant I would be late again, as the roads were sleek with rainwater. 'Doctor Spencer will be agitated until I make it into work, tonight.' Mother always said I was too good for my own well-being. 'Should have said no to the Doctor.' Well, that's done now. Just have to work through this tonight, and I'll have a day off. It wasn't much, but it'll have to do. I brush my hand over my curly black hair. Being the only person ever at the job to sport a clean-cut mohawk definitely makes me stand out. If I wanted, I could grow my beard and look more like I did as an operator. 'Yeah, I'm a soldier or was. Those years are behind me, but I can't say I'm hardcore. I just did what I could to survive, and that's what I did. What can I say? I was good at it!'

A light from behind caught my eyes. I glance in the rearview mirror. Sparkling, hooded sky-blue eyes stare back at me. My angular eyebrows were slightly overgrown, and I looked like a nightmare. My long days were catching up with me. In the rearview mirror, I see the beginning stages of bags under my eyes and dark rings forming. The dark patches under my pale skin were definitely noticeable. 'Shit, I need more sleep.' I didn't look a day over twenty-five for a thirty-eight-year-old, but that's a blessing from my mother for her good looks, eyes, and youthful genes. Everything else I got from my father except for my intelligence. That came from Grandma and Mother. Not a day passed that they didn't treat me to every conceivable book.

"Almost there," I whispered as the car behind me drove past.

I turn the radio to the weather channel. "Today's forecast has heavy storms and hail all day and into tomorrow's evening. Be advised, traveling conditions will be severe across the county and beyond!" The weather lady said in a concerned feminine tone.

"Should have told me this before I left," I countered.

My thoughts quickly went to Minah Reese. I knew her from town—a young, beautiful green-eyed blonde southern belle. You could say she's the woman of my dreams. She fit everything a man could ever want. If I had the courage, she'd be my wife by now. Sadly, I didn't know the first thing about the opposite sex. That's my greatest weakness and greatest failure as a man. I can spout scientific equations or formulas and program complex algorithms, but talking to a girl is like a nightmare. No matter what, I always stumble over my words. Having my mother's looks didn't help enough to land a girlfriend. I took care of myself and could handle myself in a fight if it came to that. The military taught me a thing or two about self-defense.

Yet, with Minah, I'm even farther out of my element. She comes on air every night around, this time at the local station. Like me, she works nights at the radio station before heading to the local news station for an early morning forecast. I know this because we see each other at the cafe before work every night. The place wasn't unique, but I met her every night since I started at the plant. We talk enough to know each other professionally and cordially. I knew both her and her sister, Marie Reese. She's a science teacher at the local high school. I hardly see her; when I do, it is usually when she comes to the radio stations. Those were the things I enjoyed about Minah's radio station.

Every Friday and Wednesday, the station invites Marie to discuss science-related topics. She is the spitting image of her sister, but from what Minah tells me, I feel like I know her, too. I'd been looking forward to tonight as it's one of those special times when I can sit with them together. Marie, like me, is socially awkward, so it's mostly Minah keeping the conversation going. As for tonight, it's a Friday night, and I knew she was doing her two-hour show, 'The Science of Everything', with Minah and Amanda. I knew her even less. The few times I met Amanda, she seemed like a great person. Like Minah, she's a southern belle with brunette hair and hazel eyes.

"Emergency Broadcast!!! An unexpected flash system is moving over Pine Point! I repeat, an unexpected flash system is moving over Pine Point! Therefore, all commuters must take extreme caution!" the radio said, repeating.

A few seconds later, Minah comes on.

"Ok, the storms are taking a turn for the worse. This unexpected flash system looks to be serious. I hope no one is out there. If you are, I suggest getting inside. The reports I am getting say there is a possibility of hail or worse. If I get any more information, the listeners of this station will know as soon as I do. That's a promise. As for our regular scheduled programs, my producer tells me she doesn't foresee any interruptions. If you're inside and safe, I hope you will tune in later tonight with Marie, Amanda, and me. We have a good show for everyone ready for the weekend. Stay tuned!" Minah said her best radio talk show host voice.

I could tell she was concerned, but she kept up the act. Not once did her voice falter. The radio station is close to the plant. It's practically next door on the peak next to the one the plant sat on... Had I not had to turn back at the last minute, I'd already be at work. Instead, something out of place drew my attention ahead. An ominous orange tint lit the night sky. I'm tired, but not enough to hallucinate. 'This is impossible.' The sky looks like it's on fire. Now, I'm more than concerned. This anomalous effect began moving closer to me. Minah's voice came over the radio again.

"This is KEJX-8 Radio Station. We're declaring an emergency! An unknown phenomenon is engulfing the station! Anyone in the area, please..." the radio said before erupting into static.

A few seconds later, the radio went silent. My heart sank with worry and apprehension. That phenomenon just hit the area I'm in. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a blanket of flames engulfs my vehicle. That is unlike any fire I have ever seen. Its flames dance over my van. I instantly know something is wrong. The swirling flames linger around my vehicle, swirling like a raging tornado. I put my hand on the door handle, yet I felt no heat. Instead, I felt a deep ice cold in my veins. The flames seemed to push into the car. Thick black smoke came from the vents into the cabin before I thought what I knew was my end. Fear overwhelmed me at the realization of burning to death by flames as cold as ice or suffocating from smoke inhalation. I'm going to die either way. My gut told me opening the door was the fastest way to a gruesome and painful death.

"There's no way out...," I whisper, coughing from the smoke.

"Figures I meet my end like this...," I said.

If I could have at least told Minah how I felt. She would at least know I cared about her. That would have been enough for me. Instead, my head felt heavy, and my vision flickers in and out. Now it isn't easy to breathe from all the smoke. The flames were spreading inside now. A strange sensation of warmth and tingling sweeps over me. 'Was this what burning to death felt like?'  

7