Domirella: The Surreal Succubi – Chapter Forty
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My first training session with Toria and Tonia went as well as expected. They aren't soldiers but have the potential to defend themselves. If they can fend for themselves with self-defense training, all the better. I have to plan for every eventuality. No matter how small. Their eagerness to be of use is quite refreshing. I just hope they never see the horrors of war. I may not be able to prevent it, but I can lessen its effect on them. This first session wore them out. Luckily, Sissel and Nifu returned and are now watching over them. This has given me a chance to speak with Riona. I knock on the door, and it creaks open. Lythienne smiles and invites me inside. Riona sat on a bed similar to the one I awoke in. Looks like she wasn't being treated like a threat at this point. I greet Lythienne and enter. Riona looks away for some odd reason. Before I could ask a question, Lythienne began explaining what she had told her.

"So far, all she's said is one of the monsters you told us about attacked you while she was trying to escape. You killed it, saving her but were nearly killed. As for the kidnappings, the purpose is still unclear. She's provided a rough location of where our target might be," Lythienne said.

"I told you, that's all I know. I haven't seen these friends of yours," she whispered.

As I figured, she hadn't told them what really happened. I am trying to understand why at the moment. Still, I could ask her why later. "Can you tell me what ordained means?" I asked.

"They have chosen me to serve a higher power. To be the bride of a coming god...," Riona said.

"Hence the virgin requirement. What is this god you speak of?" I questioned.

"An all-powerful god that will bring heaven to this world...," she whispered.

Somehow, she doesn't believe the words she is saying anymore. I can see it in her mannerisms. If that's the case, this brainwashing requires some drug to convince its users to follow. That means most if not all, are being held against their will. She's probably going over everything they told her. I suspect parts of her memories may be tempered by using other drugs.

"What do you remember about how you became a templar?" I inquired.

"I... I... I can't remember that far back. Nothing before my time with the Templars comes to mind," she said.

"It's because you've been brainwashed. Your memories were either tampered with or erased. You don't owe them any obligation. Help us find our friends...," I whispered.

"Do you think she's in the right mind to help us? Can she be trusted?" Lythienne questioned.

"She can... when the Anathema hunted us, we were transported to another world. A breach world. If it wasn't for her, I would have died over there. But, instead, she dragged me to the exit point," I revealed.

"Then those people were...," she asked.

"Where from that world... I told those people how to get to Doctor Spencer before I...," I said.

'The force that came over me. Was it Firosa or something else?' I consumed an Anathema. Pretty sure that confirms I'm a monster now. The Fact that Riona is still with us is a miracle. I held my right hand up to Lythienne. Showing her the state of my arm and the new runes. I hadn't had time to ask Riona if she had these new ones, but her eyes said yes.

"You need to check yourself for these new runes. Even Searl and Jobrac. I don't know what's happening, but we'd better delve deeper into what a God-King is," I said with a severe tone. "For now, Riona is with us. We still need to be careful. One whiff of that drug might be harmful to her now. So, our first priority is to find out what this drug is," I added.

Lythienne nods in understanding. The Elf looks at Riona. "Do you know what this drug is?" she asked.

"No, I don't have any idea. It could be in the food or the water; we drink. The Templars never keep more than a dozen of us together. But I know there is a central training ground," Riona revealed. "As for the men. They... something's been done to the rank and file. It's almost like they are mindless. I never noticed until I met John...," Riona said.

"Sounds like the same as you, except they are far more gone. Maybe the damage is irreversible," I stated. "I want you to take Lythienne and me to the place. It's near here from what I understand," I said.

"Are you sure the three of us are enough?" Lythienne asked.

"We're bringing Sissel and Nifu, too," I replied.

"Okay... but it will be dangerous. So Templars heavily patrolled the camp," Riona said.

"Don't worry about that. We aren't going to engage. This is just a scouting mission," I said.

This may be different from our target location, but she should be near the region. With the scouting mission set, I left to prepare. Lythienne went to let the others know of our plans. I look at Riona. Her Dark Templar armor is going to stand out. She's going to need new armor for now. Until I help Searl restore the Dark Templars, anyone with us shouldn't be seen in it. Of course, he hadn't known this yet. I know what it means to be a part of something bigger than you. He had that taken away. It's the least I could do for him to help me.

"Come on, Riona. You need new armor," I said.

She looked at me and then down at herself. I waved her onwards. The market should have a good selection for her to choose from. She follows me down to the lobby. The bells of the front door ring just as we reach the bottom run. Lucianne and Cathy enter. There is a good rapport between those two. The first things I receive are hugs and kisses. Then, behind me, I hear a gasp.

"Do you not have any shame, John Thomas?" Riona said.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Wait, why are you out of your room???" Cathy snapped.

"Who is this red-haired bitch?" Riona countered.

"What did you call me?" Cathy shot back.

"Riona, this is Cathy Wells from my world and Miss Lucianne August. She owns a few Inns," I said.

"Why are they kissing you like whores?" Riona blurted.

"Miss, please don't insult my friend here or me. I understand you may not be in your right mind, but name-calling is inappropriate," Lucianne stated.

"I'm sorry, Miss August, I'm not letting some new side bitches get in my way!" Cathy snapped.

.

It's bad... Cathy is getting angry again. There must be some effect on her behavior due to her new abilities. Usually, she's shy and timid, but now, she's grown bolder and more territorial. Her powers make her a tank in battle, even though she's never been in a fight once.

"What is a side bitch???" Riona asked.

"It's nothing. Just a saying from my world. Pay it no mind. Cathy... calm down. She's helping us now. No need to be overprotective, okay?" I said.

"You just keep picking up damsels in distress like they are falling from the sky. Who would have thought that I would have all this competition in another world," Cathy said. "Not to mention that gang of soldier gals. Where did they even come from?" she added.

"Hmmm... The twins came from an alternate version of our world. It's a long story...," I said.

"You don't have to speak for me, John Thomas. I'm no damsel by any means. I am a Templar. My combat skills speak for themselves," Riona said.

"Listen, miss thang... back off! He's mine!" Cathy snapped.

"Okay, let's settle down now. No need to fight each other," I said.

"If I wanted this man, I would have him! But the likes of you would not sway me!" Riona countered.

"No one's listening to me, are they?" I said with a heavy sigh.

"Cathy, come with me now. I don't believe this Templar plans to steal John from you or me," Lucianne said.

"Now you're being naive, Miss August," Cathy said.

"Listen, let's talk about this later. We have a lot of footwork to do. Get some rest for now. Be ready; tonight, we're scouting a location. I want everyone ready for anything, okay," I said.

My words finally got through to them. They calmed down a bit. So does Riona. Now that the three have let their guards down, we can move along with plans. With this settled, Riona and I continued on to find an armor smith.

____

Down the street from the Inn, I found an armor shop. Riona had already tried out several different sets of armor. So far, she wasn't satisfied with the selection. The shopkeeper mentioned a few other shops, but none had the selection he did. I could tell he wanted to keep our business. 'Maybe he will show us special sets meant for trusted clients.' I pull out a pouch full of gold serpents worth triple what he'd get for the most expensive piece. That got his attention. He kindly gestured for us to come to the back.

"Back here is where I keep custom sets for special customers. I think you might find something to your liking," he said.

"Thank you very much. Riona, feel free to look around," I said.

I waited near the private waiting room in the back as she browsed the available selection. Finally, she hovers over a set with a blue and white sky color. Riona pointed to this one, and the shopkeeper took it to the dressing room.

"You can wait here while your friend tests this set out. I'm sure she'll want your opinion," he said.

"Oh... sure," I said.

"I'll also throw in two sets of clothing. One for everyday wear and one more suited for a lady," he said.

"That's... very generous of you. Thank you again," I replied.

One of his assistants left the clothes for Riona. She looked at them and took them into the room. Now, all I have to do is wait. The Templar looked like the type that knew what she wanted. This shouldn't take too long. While I waited, my thoughts went back to my alternate sisters. In the heat of the moment, I concluded my dad had brought them to another world like ours. That theory really didn't fit the evidence. My father did disappear during the war. So did my older brother. He was ten years my senior and an army ranger. We didn't have any other siblings. They looked to be at least in their early twenties. A significant age gap. Our mom was sterile after the war.

The results of trauma from wounds she received. So, the likelihood of them being my actual kin is impossible. I should have probed more, but there wasn't time for that. The clanking of metal brought me out of my thoughts. Riona looked like a knight out of a fairy tale. The colors and design fit her appearance and personality. The blue and white armor with a silver cross on her chest and shoulders was stunning. A navy-blue shirt accented the sky-blue metal. The helmet also had royal blue feathers on the top, like a Roman legion. An air of radiance and chivalry came off her.

"Well, how is this?" she asked.

"Perfect...," I said.

"Good, I will try on these as well," she stated.

It wasn't long before she returned in black leather pants and a white elegant long-sleeved shirt with a black vest. Thigh-high navy blue leather boots gave her a noble presence. I gave my approval as she looked at the part. The last item was a sky blue and white formal gown that showed how beautiful she was. I got to see a side of her that I don't think she knew she had. It makes me wonder who she was before becoming a dark templar. She was around the same age as Cathy. 'Who was she? Did her family miss her? These are questions that need to be answered.' I would make a point of doing just that as soon as possible. My mind went to the mission tonight. We were as ready as we could be.

____

Moonlight shines down on the five of us. Riona was in front, with Lythienne close behind. I got the impression she didn't trust the Templar. Not yet, at the very least. That is understandable, considering neither of them has been able to undo the brainwashing the templars use. Now, it seems even the rank and file are subject to the same treatment. Searl reasoned this may be how so many fell to this rogue element. What we both agreed on is both Nald and Adelard weren't brainwashed. The full moons cast a significant bit of light. Making it almost look like a twilight dawn. These three simultaneous full moons happen once every month, giving each moon two cycles every month like clockwork. The night was still young, and we'd already traveled a long way. We left the horses a reasonable distance away so as not to give us away. The camp was coming into view. An aerial view of a hill from the south. Our vantage point overlooked the camp. There are watchtowers all around the surrounding hills except for a few. This area probably gets patrolled more than usual because of that. Several buildings were of interest. The little fort is well-defended. Some sort of mine was nearby. They looked like they were mining it. Up higher was another building. A mansion or castle. I counted at least one hundred and fifty templars. Maybe two hundred and fifty calculating patrols and travel parties.

"That's Adelard...," Lythienne whispered.

Compared to me, she has better eyesight. Neither Nifu nor Sissel denied it. The brown horse was being ridden by a tall, clean-shaven brunette man. He appeared boxy because of the square shape of his face and jawline. The man's life has been filled with combat. He was a well-trained soldier who constantly honed his trade. I hadn't gotten a good enough look at him the first time. Now that I have, he is a formidable threat. The man was at least two or two and a half sizes bigger than me. Built like a tank or battleship. I would hate to face him and Nald at the same time. His weapon of choice is a long spear and, as a backup, a short sword like mine. Out of everyone here, he seems to be the strongest. My revolver gave me the advantage with range. If we had to act, he would need to go first.

"Isa and Rophalin are with him, too...," Lythienne said with a little more apprehension.

"We need to get in there and free them...," I said.

"That's going to be hard. Lady Rophalin has her own regiment, and so does Lady Isa. Both are elite units. It's more like Captain Adelard is with them," Riona said.

"Did you have an elite regiment under you?" I asked.

"No, I am still a lower officer. I have yet to be blessed by the giver...," she revealed.

"I assume this giver is this God they are trying to bring back?" I stated.

"Yes...," Riona said.

"Lythienne... this makes breaking the hold on them more complicated," I said.

"I know... who knows what spells or curses this god put on them to compel obedience," Lythienne said.

"What do we do?" Sissel questioned.

"You and Nifu search for a way in. use your animal form. I don't want you getting hurt," I said.

"Nifu showed me a thing or two. We'll be alright," Sissel said.

"No need to worry, master; I will keep Sissel safe for you," Nifu said.

"Be cautious... Some of these templars are like me. They are devoted to our god. Adelard is one of the most fanatic among us," Riona said.

They looked at her for a moment before turning to me. I gave the go-ahead, and they were off. Our targets went in the central building. This was looking more like a resource operation than a holding site. Our vampire noble wasn't going to be here. Then Lythienne said something.

"That's her!" she whispered.

I focused my binoculars on the location. Sure enough, the person in my sights fits the description. She wore an all-white dress and was barefoot. Even from here, I could tell she was beautiful and elegant. Isa and Rophalin were escorting her to a carriage now. Two other girls similar to the vampire were with them, too. Four more women were following them. I recognized them as disciples of the Church of the Three God Kings. I pass the binoculars to Riona.

"What do you think they are doing?" I asked.

"Taking them to be ordained. That would be my guess. The first step in becoming one of the few," Riona said.

"Let's follow them...," I said.

I take notes from Tonia and Toria. Communicating mental messages is still new, but I made an effort. I got a yes, master in my head. It wasn't like the voices of Helena or Firosa. Those are more like it coming from me than an outside force. It is unnerving to communicate like this. We make our way down to the fort. The plan is to follow far enough behind to ambush them. It's a good thing Searl and Jobrac are on standby in the area. The caravan left the fort with around fifty men, including Isa, Rophalin, and Adelard. There was a feeling that came over me. Something wasn't right at all. A jolt went through my right eye. 'This... they weren't real!' I can see right through them. As if they were images or projections. These can't be holograms? Can it? No, this must be illusion magic, but how??' Then, a thought came into my mind. 'This... is a trap!' we've been lured here. Somehow, my right eye could see past the fakes. This was getting old, between the pains from my left eye and this new affliction in my right. I can't have this happen whenever I'm in a risky situation.

"We need to retreat. These are illusions...," I whispered.

"What do you mean?" Lythienne asked.

"They're fake... they must know we're in the city nearby," I said.

"That's impossible...," Riona said. "Templars rarely employ mages of any kind. Our magic resistance provides a massive advantage over magic users," she revealed.

"That's true... Templars and Paladins have a high resistance to magic and outright immunity to some magic schools. This is why adventures and mercenaries employ both," Lythienne explained.

"That's disturbing... let's get out of here for now," I whispered.

The feeling in my right eye returned. A glow came from below. The ground is lit by a massive circle. 'A magic circle? Shit, this is trap magic!' Before I could get a warning off, a blinding light stuns my eyes, and my body becomes stiff. All the energy I have rapidly drained away. I fight with all my strength to stay up. Lythienne and Riona are out cold beside me. The sky lights up, revealing a unit of cavalry templars circling me with torches. 'Shit... this was a trap from the very beginning. I can't believe Rion would walk us right into a trap.' My eyes fog up, and I start to fade. The templar captain, Adelard, appears in front of me. I can only see his hazel eyes through his helmet. He takes one look at me, and everything goes black.

0