Chapter 124: Quarry Query
116 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Skill Fusion Complete
Lightning Skills List
Chain Lightning Unleashes a bolt of electricity that arcs to multiple targets, with reduced power on each subsequent arc. Ideal for damaging groups of enemies.
Lightning Strike Summons a massive lightning bolt onto a single target, dealing high damage. Best used against individual, high-value enemies.
Lightning Orb Creates a mobile orb that emits lightning bolts at nearby enemies, offering sustained area damage. Effective for area control.

Thorian pondered deeply as he perused the array of skills before him. Each of these skills holds considerable merit, he mused. The first, potent in dealing area damage, yet his formidable firestorm combo already served him well against multiple adversaries. The third, undoubtedly effective in the throes of war, seemed excessive for skirmishes or duels.

Thus, by a process of elimination, Thorian's choice gravitated towards the second skill. It promised an unparalleled surge in power, a tantalizing prospect he found impossible to resist. Moreover, its versatility shone above the rest, adaptable to a myriad of situations.

Congratulations, you have acquired the skill: "Lightning Strike."

Thorian contemplated the newly gained ability, his mind racing with possibilities. "A trial in battle will be the true test of this skill," he thought, his anticipation growing. The skill's resemblance to Lightning Arrow suggested a comparable level of potency, a thrilling notion.

With "Lightning Strike" now at his command, Thorian's confidence soared. His arsenal of skills, vast and diverse, prepared him for any conceivable challenge. In his heart, he knew there were few situations he couldn't master with the right skill at his disposal.

After skillfully melding his abilities, Thorian turned to Fizzlegrin. "With my ascension to D-rank, what shifts can I expect?" he inquired.

Fizzlegrin, momentarily lost in thought, jolted back to reality. "Ah, that's right," he exclaimed, smacking his forehead. "You've now unlocked access to D-rank quests. Beyond the daily tasks, you'll find a broader range of quests at your disposal."

Leading the way, Thorian gestured towards the outer chamber. "Let's examine the available quests on the bulletin board," he suggested.

Arriving at the board, Fizzlegrin presented three scrolls to Thorian. "Here, this quest focuses on elemental mana control, this one on enhancing body mana, and the last involves collecting magical herbs for the alchemists. Once their initial stock depletes, they'll need fresh supplies," he explained.

Thorian stroked his chin thoughtfully. "So, the Alchemist's Lab collaborates with the Magus Guild? Fascinating."

"Not solely with us, my lord," Fizzlegrin clarified, shaking his head. "They also partner with the Priest Guild, although the materials each guild provides differ."

"Ah, that makes sense," Thorian nodded in understanding.

As Fizzlegrin registered the new quests, Thorian opened his Journal, eager to delve into the details of his latest challenges.

Show Magus Journal.

Magus Journal
Elemental Mana Control Rank D
Bodily Mana Enhancement Rank D
Magical Herb Gathering Rank D

As Thorian perused the quests, he paused, turning to address Fizzlegrin. "The final quest is straightforward, but do the others require completion in specific locations, or can I practice as I find suitable?"

Fizzlegrin responded with a chuckle, "You're free to complete them wherever you see fit, my lord, as long as you meet the requirements."

Thorian cracked a smile, a sense of relief evident. "That simplifies things considerably. Well, I must depart now. There are other matters demanding my attention."

"May fortune favor you, my lord," Fizzlegrin replied with a nod.

Leaving the guild, Thorian paused to take in the scene before him. The twin suns dipped low in the western sky, casting long shadows and bathing the village in the golden hues of late afternoon. Around him, the kobolds and goblins, once disparate tribes, now intermingled freely, embracing this village as their new home. The air was filled with the sounds of their industry and fellowship: the light-hearted banter of adults and the carefree laughter of children playing without heed to race or origin.

Observing this harmonious blend of cultures, Thorian felt a warmth spreading through his heart. Time is indeed the greatest architect of culture and unity, he mused silently, Had we pursued our past path of aggressive expansion, these tribes might have remained isolated in their cliques, forever apart. This unity, this coherent community we witness now, would have remained but a fleeting dream.

Content with this reflection, Thorian exhaled a deep, satisfied sigh. His gaze then hardened, reminded of the tasks still awaiting him. With a renewed sense of purpose, he strode towards the Village Hall where Forlune, his advisor, awaited. The work of leadership never truly ended, but moments like these made it all worthwhile.

"My king, regarding the rock procurement, I've identified potential quarry sites near the Verdant Labyrinth," Forlune reported, sipping water handed to him by Melina. "However, transporting the rocks poses a challenge due to the limited capacity of manual labor."

Thorian, pondering the dilemma, mused aloud. "Normally, such an operation would require specialized equipment and sizable carts for transportation."

Forlune, setting down his empty cup, inquired, "Carts? What are those?"

Thorian explained, "Consider them large containers mounted on beasts, like direwolves, for transport. Yet, the lack of proper roads to the excavation sites presents a problem. Cart wheels would continually get stuck."

As he spoke, Thorian visualized the logistical hurdles, considering solutions to bridge the gap between the rocky outcrops and their village.

Forlune's confusion over Thorian's references was palpable. "These 'wheels' you speak of are foreign to me," he admitted with a sigh.

Thorian, understanding the need for a practical demonstration, gestured for Forlune's empty cup. "Hand me your cup, and I'll illustrate."

Though puzzled, Forlune complied, watching as Thorian inverted the cup on the table. With a gentle push, the cup rolled smoothly across the surface. "This is akin to a wheel," Thorian explained, guiding the cup with his right hand. "Notice its effortless glide over a flat surface." He then placed his left fist atop the rolling cup, symbolizing a laden cart. "Envision my left hand as a cart, heavily loaded. The wheel still navigates the flat surface with ease."

Forlune's eyes brightened with understanding. "So, with wheels, we can transport far more than we can by hand. It's a more efficient method."

"Correct," Thorian acknowledged, but then he introduced a complication. He set his left fist directly on the table, obstructing the cup's path. The cup halted against the obstacle. "Imagine this fist as a rock or a fallen tree. Such obstructions impede the wheel's movement, necessitating detours."

Forlune's brow furrowed. "Wouldn't that slow us down considerably? At that point, it would be better to just carry the rocks by hand since we can jump over the obstacles."

"Indeed, obstacles would slow us down," Thorian concurred. He removed his hand, clearing the cup's path. "That's precisely why we need clear roads for the carts. A path free of rocks, logs, grass, and roots is essential. Any of these can trap a wheel."

“But the forest is ever-changing, my king,” Forlune said, his eyebrows knitting together in concern. “Goblins may sabotage our efforts, trees might topple, mushroom traps could spring up unexpectedly. Such events are common in the forest.”

“That is a mere maintenance cost,” Thorian replied, his voice steady and confident. “Consider this: once we clear the initial path to the site, yes, problems may arise, but they will be isolated incidents along the road. We can manage these as long as we maintain the path regularly. Before a pack of direwolves is dispatched to transport rocks to the village, we'll send a scouting party to assess the road's condition. Should they encounter any obstacles, they can swiftly resolve them before the direwolves arrive.”

As Thorian elaborated, understanding dawned on Forlune's face. “I see your wisdom now, my king. With consistent upkeep of the road, we should encounter no significant troubles. And should monsters attempt an ambush, our men are more than capable of handling them.” He paused, a new thought surfacing. “But the carts—how shall we construct them? If such things are unheard of, their creation poses a challenge.”

Thorian shook his head, a slight smile playing on his lips, his thoughts turning to a certain crafty old goblin. “Do not even worry about that,” he said, dismissively. “I have the perfect person for the job.”

14