Chapter 126: Altar Supremacy
127 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Thorian stood vigilant at the western outer gates, flanked by Forlune, Aqua, and Ventus, the final members of their team converged upon the designated rendezvous point.

“There they are at last,” Ventus remarked with a hint of impatience. “About time.”

Thorian turned to see Zogarth leading the remainder of their party: the kobold magi, Ifrit and Saxum; the kobold warriors, Caedar, Bellafor, Crimen, and Inly; as well as the elder goblins, and the formidable goblin champions.

“We've assembled quite the formidable force,” Forlune observed, eyeing their companions. “This team could storm any city and emerge victorious.”

Perched atop the ledge of the western gate, Thorian stretched his limbs before addressing the entire group. “Though Zogarth has briefed you on our mission, I'll reiterate. Tonight, our objective is to seize control of a new Territory Altar, akin to the one I claimed to establish this village. If all goes according to plan, Wolvendale will annex its first vassal state tonight.”

Oom, stroking his beard thoughtfully, interjected, “Such marvels exist? The world continues to surprise.”

Aqua, puzzled, queried, “But, my king, if our task is merely to claim this Altar, why mobilize such a formidable force?”

“The area surrounding a Territory Altar teems with mana, attracting powerful beasts and monsters as guardians,” Thorian explained. “We must be prepared for formidable opposition.”

Forlune, cracking his knuckles eagerly, added, “I’m hoping these monsters prove challenging. I'm in dire need of experience points.”

Shaking his head at Forlune’s belligerent enthusiasm, Thorian leaped down from the ledge and swung the gates wide open. “With that, let us depart.”

The group advanced through the nocturnal forest, with Thorian leading the way. He frequently glanced skyward, using the southern star as his celestial guide through the labyrinthine woods.

The other altar should be southwest of Locksley, about five kilometers from its walls, he thought to himself.

Relying on the southern star and the looming walls of Locksley as navigational aids, Thorian confidently guided his party through the dense forest.

Glancing back at his companions, Thorian’s mind momentarily conjured the image of Nox, the black kobold, playfully leaping from branch to branch alongside Aqua and Ventus. However, as soon as he blinked, the vision of Nox vanished.

It was with Nox that I discovered the Wolvendale territory altar. It's regrettable that he isn’t here to witness this second conquest, Thorian reflected, a tinge of nostalgia in his thoughts.

Brushing aside these musings, Thorian quickened his pace. The party’s remarkable speed allowed them to traverse several kilometers within minutes. Even the usual denizens of the forest steered clear, sensing the overwhelming strength of the group and knowing better than to challenge them.

“We’re nearing our destination,” Thorian announced, noting a vast cliffside stretching to their right. From his prior experiences, he knew the territory altar was close.

Abruptly, he halted. “Wait.”

At Thorian's signal, the entire group came to an immediate halt, perched high upon the tree branches, safely concealed from the prying eyes of any lurking monsters.

“Have we arrived, my lord?” Forlune inquired, his voice laced with curiosity.

Thorian, without uttering a word, motioned for the moon kobold to silence, while his gaze methodically swept the surrounding area. His attention fixed on the form of a colossal green beast brandishing a massive club.

“It’s an ogre,” Thorian stated, his eyes pinpointing other similar creatures in their vicinity. “And there are many of them here.”

“Ogres? Interesting,” Ventus mused. “Shall I go down and kill them all?”

“First, we locate the alpha. Then you may indulge,” Thorian replied. He ascended a few more branches, seeking a clearer vantage point. His search ended as he spotted his quarry.

A formidable, two-headed purple ogre slumbered atop a tree. Across from it, in a clearing, lay the territory altar, its demonic visage turned away.

Monsters seem to abhor that face. The gods must have designed it intentionally, Thorian thought.

Having located his target, Thorian descended to rejoin his team. “I’ve located the altar,” he announced, “along with the chief beast guarding it.”

Forlune, eagerly rotating his neck, declared, “Then what are we waiting for? Let the hunt begin.”

Conversely, Zogarth regarded Thorian with a grave expression. “My lord, what strategy do you propose?”

“We need to eliminate the twin-headed ogre first,” Thorian decided. “Since it's still asleep, it's wise to dispatch it before it awakens.”

Zogarth nodded in agreement. “A sound strategy, my lord. It minimizes the chance of any unforeseen complications.”

Ventus, nonchalantly, added, “Risk? I doubt it. A single one of my lightning arrows, and it's goodbye to the two-headed ogre.”

Thorian, eager to proceed, said, “Less discussion, more action. Let's complete this swiftly and claim the territory altar.”

Forlune, revealing a broad grin as he drew his sword, chimed in, “Perfect. I'll handle the big ogre. I need those experience points.”

With Thorian’s approval, they advanced stealthily towards the clearing where the twin-headed ogre slumbered. Moving with agility, they leaped from branch to branch until they were close to the ogre's resting spot.

“Forlune, as you wished,” Thorian whispered, watching the moon kobold position himself for the attack.

As Thorian observed Forlune preparing to strike, a sense of unease crept over him. Everything's been too smooth so far. Let's hope no last-minute surprises arise.

Amidst his concerns, Thorian watched as Forlune cloaked himself in a radiant red aura. His Tempest Strides emitted a shimmering blue light, and with the swiftness of a comet, he leapt from the branch.

Executing a graceful arc, Forlune's blade sliced cleanly between the two heads of the purple ogre. The creature's flesh and sinew yielded effortlessly under his powerful strike. With a ferocious war cry, Forlune cleaved the twin-headed ogre in two. The beast met its end without even a chance to utter a sound, felled by Forlune's swift blade.

My worries were unfounded. This was unexpectedly smooth, Thorian reflected, observing the scene.

Forlune stood amidst the ogre's blood and gore, unbothered, even amused, as he gazed at something invisible in the air.

“I’ve achieved it!” Forlune announced, turning to Thorian with triumph in his eyes. “I’m ready to evolve!”

However, their moment of victory was short-lived. Hearing the commotion and roars drawing nearer, Thorian quickly responded, “Hold off on evolving, Forlune. First, let's deal with these creatures.”

As a horde of green ogres charged towards them from every direction within the clearing, the group sprang into action without needing a command. The kobold warriors, rallying around Forlune, took up positions on the right flank. Simultaneously, Zogarth and the goblin champions swiftly moved to cover the left.

The battle erupted into chaos as Thorian and his team braced themselves against the oncoming onslaught.

In the thick of the fray, Zarjin, armed with his newly acquired skill, unleashed a lightning charge. He darted towards the oncoming ogres, his sword slashing through them with electric agility. Zogarth, wielding his mighty axe, cut a swathe through the horde, each blow delivering devastating force.

Meanwhile, the three elder spellcasters bestowed blessings upon their warrior counterparts, simultaneously cursing the ogres. Their spells caused disarray in the enemy ranks – some ogres slowed, others grew dizzy, and a few stopped in their tracks, overcome by nausea.

The elemental magi provided crucial support from the rear, launching a relentless barrage of spells. Any ogre daring to emerge from the underbrush or the trees was swiftly met with arcane retribution.

Observing his team's efficient execution of their roles, Thorian leapt from his perch into the central clearing. Confronted by a tide of green ogres wielding massive clubs, he readied himself for the onslaught.

Lord's Fury: Elemental Embodiment, Thorian activated his skill, raising his emberstrike cane like a sword. Completing his incantation with a sweeping horizontal motion, he declared, Greater Gale Slash.

With a resounding swoosh, the skill was unleashed. A vast wind slash, spanning half the clearing, surged towards the ogres. The force of the attack was instantaneous and lethal – smaller ogres were decapitated, while larger ones were bisected at the torso or abdomen. The scene transformed into a gruesome tableau of destruction, blood, and viscera, as every last ogre fell before Thorian's mighty spell.

Relieved to see the altar unscathed by his formidable spell, Thorian marveled at its resilience. ‘Indeed, a divine artifact. Even my most powerful spell is but a gentle breeze to it.’

Surveying the area, Thorian noted his companions had efficiently dealt with their respective adversaries. One by one, they converged around him, awaiting further instructions.

Thorian's gaze settled on Forlune. “Shall we proceed with your evolution now, or would you prefer to examine the altar first?” he inquired.

Forlune, pondering the significance of the moment, replied, “Let’s attend to the altar first, my lord. My evolution is a momentous decision; it can wait until after we've secured our objective.”

“Wise decision,” Thorian affirmed with a nod. He then directed his attention towards the demonic-faced altar. “Let’s proceed with our task.”

With purposeful strides, Thorian approached the altar, reaching out to place his hand on its ominous, demonic visage.

I, Thorian Steelblade, claim this territory by the divine right I have been given.

As Thorian touched the altar, his perception fragmented, akin to viewing reality through a broken window. Words and virtual screens flickered into existence before his eyes.

[System Error…]

The “System Error” message repeated, relentlessly flashing in front of Thorian’s vision, which was then overwhelmed by a chaotic fusion of black, red, and gold colors, coalescing into a prominent display.

[Create Dungeon… Become the dungeon boss!]

This "Dungeon Boss" prompt dominated Thorian's view, much like the previous experience with Wolvendale's inception. Below it, almost obscured, the familiar, smaller notification lingered.

[Create village… Become lord!]

Opting for the latter choice as before, Thorian watched as a torrent of system messages flooded his vision.

[System Error.]

[System Error.]

[Compatible host found.]

[System Recalibration.]

This is following a similar pattern to the last time, Thorian thought, a flicker of recognition crossing his mind.

But just as he exhaled a breath of relief, an unexpected notification shattered his expectations.

[Incompatibility Found]

[System Recalibration Denied]

Oh… Goddammit.

11