Chapter 128: Overreach
117 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Forlune POV

Perched atop the outer northern gate, Forlune gazed into the forest with a dazed expression. Dawn's first rays were just beginning to pierce the night's veil, casting a deep orange glow over the eerily silent woods. After his conversation with Thorian yesterday, sleep had been elusive, granting Forlune only a few restless hours before anxiety stirred him awake. He had wandered the village aimlessly, lost in thought, until he found himself sitting on the gate, awaiting the daybreak.

"You're up unusually early, Forlune," a familiar voice broke the silence. Forlune turned to see Aqua scaling the wall with ease, joining him atop the gate.

Forlune remained silent, his sigh the only response as he continued to stare at the forest.

"I take it the king spoke with you yesterday?" Aqua probed.

Still, Forlune offered no reply, his gaze fixed on the distant trees.

Aqua sighed, reading the unspoken words. "The talk didn't go well, I gather."

"I messed up," Forlune finally admitted, his voice barely above a whisper.

Hearing this confession from the general, Aqua exhaled deeply. "Yes, you certainly did. What were you thinking, speaking so freely in front of everyone? Those goblin elders were there too. If they witness us showing disrespect to our king, they'll follow suit."

"I'm aware," Forlune said, shaking his head. "He made that abundantly clear yesterday. It's just... adjusting to this new role is challenging. Remember, it wasn't long ago that I led our tribe."

"Yes, and remember, the elders were once leaders of their own tribes too," Aqua replied. "Zogarth was also the vice captain of his warband. Yet, they all serve under our king now."

Aqua's gaze then intensified, locking eyes with Forlune. "You seem to be missing a crucial point, Forlune. Despite their former high status, even greater than yours, you are now their general. They answer to you. And who do you think made that decision?"

"Our king," Forlune murmured, his voice tinged with dejection.

"Exactly," Aqua affirmed. "Consider why he chose you for this role. Why do you think you were appointed as general?"

Forlune faltered, his words trailing off. "I... I don't know."

Aqua sighed, his voice deepening with seriousness. "He trusts you, Forlune. He's observed you since we began our journey in this world. He saw how you led your race, unempowered compared to those like me who received stronger evolutions. He witnessed your struggles, your perseverance. Your relentless spirit and dedication didn't go unnoticed. That trust led to your appointment."

Forlune's mouth opened in surprise, then closed as he bit his lip, looking down. "Do you think he still trusts me?"

"That depends on your actions henceforth," Aqua responded with a shrug. "Words hold little weight; it's deeds that count. Fulfill your duties as one of the army's two generals. Act with the dignity befitting your rank. If you do so, I'm certain our lord will acknowledge it."

Forlune absorbed Aqua's counsel, then slowly nodded. "You're right. That's all I can do."

Aqua's smile broadened upon hearing Forlune's agreement. "Good. I'm eager to work alongside you, General."

Forlune's own smile began to form, but it was abruptly interrupted by a whooshing sound. Instantly alert, he leaped from his position just as an arrow struck the spot he had occupied moments before.

"Who's there?!" Forlune bellowed, eyes darting across the landscape in search of the assailant. Beside him, Aqua gripped his staff, poised to unleash a spell at the first sign of their attacker.

The forest, however, remained eerily quiet, betraying no hint of movement. Despite Forlune's vigilant scanning, the origin of the arrow remained a mystery.

After a tense few moments, Forlune cautiously approached the lodged arrow, extracting it from the ledge. To his surprise, he found a scroll wrapped tightly around its shaft.

* * *

Thorian's POV

Thorian awoke and began his daily routine, first using his fire manipulation abilities to dry his clothes, still damp from the previous day's wash. As he dressed, his mind replayed the conversation with Forlune, wondering if he had been overly harsh. No, he reassured himself, that discussion was necessary. Without setting clear expectations from the start, trouble is inevitable.

With a heavy sigh, Thorian stepped out of his house and made his way to his usual rendezvous point with Alacritas. Today, Locksley should be free of monsters, he thought, waiting patiently. Once that's done, the fortress system will unlock, and the abyss will open.

The thought of exploring the abyss excited him. It was a perfect opportunity for someone of his strength to gain the experience points needed for leveling up – a crucial step towards challenging the sanctuary and obtaining Amelia’s tear.

Lost in these thoughts, Thorian suddenly realized something odd. 'Alacritas is late. That's highly unusual.

This thought lingered as he continued to wait, but no one appeared. After thirty minutes, his intuition kicked in, signaling that something was definitely wrong.

Just what happened to him?

Thorian, deciding against waiting idly, began to walk around the village. It was pointless to stand still; perhaps he would encounter another member of the scouting party. As he approached the northern inner gate, he noticed Forlune and Aqua entering.

The sight of Forlune stirred a hint of awkwardness in Thorian, but he masked it well. His intention was to inquire about Alacritas, but as he approached, Forlune hurried towards him with a look of confusion. "My lord, something unusual has just occurred," Forlune reported.

Thorian's sense of foreboding intensified. "What happened?" he asked, bracing himself for the news.

Forlune quickly relayed the incident. "Aqua and I were on the outer gate when an arrow was shot at us."

Thorian's mind raced to the possibility of an ambush. "Is this the beginning of an attack?" he questioned, his body tensing for combat. The thought of an enemy daring to strike while he was present in the village ignited a fierce resolve within him.

Aqua interjected, "It didn't seem like an attack. There was a letter attached to the arrow, but we couldn't understand it. The language is unfamiliar to us."

"A letter?" Thorian's concern escalated. The coincidence of Alacritas's absence and this cryptic letter unsettled him deeply.

Forlune swiftly retrieved the letter from his pouch and handed it to Thorian. As Thorian unfolded it, his eyes widened in shock, and he gritted his teeth in anger.

"Your men have been captured. To see them alive again, come to the western gate of Locksley. Bring only three of your men," the letter read.

The urge to rip the letter apart surged through Thorian, but he restrained himself, clenching his fist instead before returning the letter to a puzzled Forlune.

"They've taken Alacritas and the entire scouting party I dispatched to Locksley," Thorian disclosed, his voice heavy with frustration and worry.

Forlune, clearly agitated, exclaimed, "How is that possible? Alacritas is formidable; mere humans couldn't possibly capture him!"

"We're not contending with mere humans," Thorian replied through clenched teeth. "This must be the work of the green lady. She's even stipulated that I come with only three men if I wish to see my men alive."

"My lord, this is undoubtedly a trap," Aqua cautioned.

"Do you think I'm unaware?" Thorian sighed, then turned to Forlune with a sly smile. "However, she has severely underestimated us by allowing me to bring three of my men."

Catching Thorian's confident smile, Forlune's eyes widened with resolve. "My lord, I will accompany you. No matter the number or strength of her forces, I will ensure their defeat."

Thorian nodded, a hint of pride in his voice. "I expect nothing less from my general. But let's not rush. We'll hold our daily meeting first to inform everyone of the situation before we act."

13