Arc 1 part 28
11 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the beginning the world was pure.

There was no magic.

There were no monsters.

There were no monster’s dens or dungeons.

The world was ruled by the laws of science. The inhabitants, the Ancient Natives, were all one and the same. They made miracles of science and brought smiles to the faces of all.

Wars didn't happen.

No one starved.

No child yearned for a parent.

No one died.

It was a peaceful utopian world of endless scientific miracles.

With the arrival of a sun black as night that peace ended.

Seemingly overnight, strange ruins appeared, emanating an eldritch presence. The Ancient Natives didn't know what these ruins were but they knew that 'something' was in there and it was analyzing them.

In order to please this 'something' the native consecrated the ruins, offering weapons, and food to the 'something'. they held the first festivals offering songs and dances to the 'something' in front of the ruins.

In response to the offerings and worship of the Ancient Natives it roared.

From the ruins came a world-shattering roar that echoed across the stars, injecting unknown essences into the world. The period that followed was endlessly chaotic. The utopian, colorful, peaceful world became corrupted, perverted, and ruined.

The concept of 'Up' became 'Right', 'Water' became 'Yellow', 'Grass' became 'Hunger'.

The world was irreparably changed, injected with concepts that didn't exist before.

To adapt to such a world the ancient natives were subjected to a hellish modification. Their bodies were mutilated, the air was filled with their screams while the earth drank their blood. By the end, the ancient natives that survived were warped into horrific forms that mixed man, beast, and machine with no explanation.

They could only gaze upon what their world had become and wonder.

There were some who admired the colorless world.

New secrets were waiting to be discovered in this world. Looking was all they needed to do.

There were others who rejected the colorless world.

No world should look like this, colorless, full of pain and sin. This aberration is just hell.

There were a few that were indifferent to the colorless world.

They were alive, right? Better than dead, right? No discussion was needed.

These beliefs clash with each other. For eons the ancient natives argued, attempting to make others see the truth of their world. When words didn't work, action was taken and the first wars were waged.

Through the war, the discovery of a new form of energy was made, one that didn't follow the laws of any other energy. They researched this new 'magical energy' thoroughly, creating the first knights, mages and artificers who wielded mana.

Through mana and magic, empires were forged and strengthened. They created spells and weapons to kill other natives while basking in the power offered by these traits. The pure colorful world became a realm of debauchery where only those who could manipulate the energy born from unknown essences could rise and rule.

On the thousandth year since the scream the 'Pure Age' came to an end.

The ruins rumbled and shook on the day of the black sun, the Devil's Sun.

From the shadows of those long forgotten holy grounds, monsters so horrid that the sane became insane emerged. Guiding these beings that seemed to trample on the very laws of life, were gods who couldn't be looked on by mortals without causing their heads to explode. The gods with such a vile appearance that one could not look at them who thirsted only for destruction.

The most advanced scientific and magical society in the world's history on one end. Vile Gods leading armadas of Nightmares and Aberrations on the other end. The universe convulsed in pain at the ferocity of their clash.

However, the victory went to the Vile Gods in a one sided manner. The ancient natives spent their time fighting one another, spilling each other's blood, specializing their weapons against other ancient natives. Against godlike beings that required cooperation they failed due to deep seeded hatred. Unfortunately this sinful behavior left the once great empires in rubble at the hands of the ceaseless march of evil.

The races of the ancient natives were culled and twisted by the vile gods while the survivors fled the continent. Sailing on the turbulent seas, the surviving natives faced punishment after punishment, death, infection and mutated sea monsters being among the easiest to tolerate. However the punishments came to an end with the discovery of a new continent with its own inhabitants.

The ancient natives implored the continent's natives, warning them about the encroaching army of evil. Hearing these words, spoken in desperation, the continent's natives unified together hoping to protect themselves with the aid of the knowledge of the ancient natives.

The ancient natives and continent natives mixed their techniques and teachings in order to build defensive forts. Mages devised sealing methods that affected both the soul and the body. Knights taught warriors fighting techniques and the warriors developed new techniques. Commanders drafted battle plans and aided artisans in constructing walls.

They would not be defeated a second time.

Their efforts were tested when a Vile God and their followers tracked down the ancient natives to the new continent. The battle was fierce, and many lost their lives but the first Vile God's soul was sealed and its servants were slayed.

Then the second god followed and was sealed, then the third and the fourth. Unlike before the forts stood strong when manned by the united ancient natives armed with Anti-divine weaponry. The vile gods who were once the bane of all existence fell one by one and from the victories mighty heroes were born.

The 'Child of Light' Argus, humanity's greatest swordsman.

The 'Successor of the First Wind' Audic, the first king of the Pixies.

The 'First librarian' Golia, the tiny genius of the Goliaths.

The 'First Student of the Seas' Helartha Bryberos, the prided princess of the elves.

The 'God of the Anvil' Dugris Rubyhide, the Dwarf whose craftsmanship reached the realm of gods.

The 'King of Shadows' Slangar, the first assassin.

The 'Conqueror of Inferno' Shiva, the first martial artist.

The 'Magician' Noratit, a beast whose magic allowed him to seal a Vile God by himself.

The 'Goddess of Creation' Sui Warian, an artificer who harnessed the magic of the stars in her creations.

These mighty heroes were grouped together and dubbed the 'Primordials'. To the natives and their descendants who watched them face death time and time again, they were the first true gods. Almighty beings of power that couldn't fall, not a single being could challenge them.

But one being did.

He was born in a ruin.

He escaped from that small ruin.

He was in pursuit of the Devil’s Sun.

He was unlike any other being.

He was a devil.

This devil toppled the long established hierarchy of the Vile Gods, killing the ruling Vile Gods and sealing their souls away. Every remaining Vile God bowed before him, and their servants fervently worshiped him.

He took the throne and gazed upon the world and felt disgusted.

He then let out a scream that echoed clearly in the farthest reaches of the world.

"Hear me you craven ants, all that is under the sky is the domain of Curce The Demon King! the God of Devils and ruler of the Vile Gods! Prepare yourselves, I will make this world mine!"

hearing this declaration the Primordials, their soldiers and followers prepared  but it was all useless.

Curce and his power proved mightier than anything seen before. His magic harnessed the concept of 'death', killing those he desired without a change for  his foes to resist. Forts that stood strong for millenia crumbled before his unified army. Pushing the Primordials' and their army to the brink of extinction.

All seemed lost but in a time of despair an unlikely drop of hope fell.

The day of the Devil sun.

The event that marked the arrival of the Vile Gods.

The event Curce chased for unknown reasons.

The event that, now, marked the end of the God of Devils.

Forged from metal from the deepest depths of a foreign realm, quenched in the cold depths of a void, the sword containing the radiant light of the pitch black sun was created.

For the first time the God of devils knew fear when his eyes met the sword wielded by Argus.

Meeting him in battle the two fought a final battle, one so destructive it sank a continent.

During this battle the God of Devils felt pain for the first time.

His knees met the ground for the first time when he was cut.

His back was soiled with dirt for the first time as the battle grew to a level that caused the world to scream in pain.

The force that won was the Primordials who scattered the Army of the God of Devils to the winds after his death.

Though one would think this was a victory and indeed it was, however this was a hollow victory.

The world was broken, almost collapsing at the slightest movement. Vile Gods of the God of Devils army still lingered in the world as did their monster followers. Monsters were bred by the corruption that spread across many islands and continents. On the new continent, ruins began to rise. The most important was the ascension of the Primordials, who could no longer exist on the world's surface, as heroic gods to maintain this broken world.

The 'Primordial Age' has come to an end and unveiled the 'Savage Age'.

The 'Savage Age' was a time of endless war. No one knew why not who threw the first attack but once humanity grew from a few hundred to a few ten thousand they began fighting among each other as fiercely as they fought the monsters. During this time kingdoms and empires rose with the sun and fell with the moon. The flames of war forged many men into heroes whose names were immortalized as Gods and many monsters into monster kings who were immortalized as Vile Gods.

So many died.

So many races wiped from the world, their names forgotten in the annals of time.

So much senseless violence for control of limited habitable land.

During these turbulent times, called by wishes of vengeance and hate of those who were scarred by the flames of war, the Devil's Sun returned and granted their wishes.

Within one of many ruins, now called ‘Dungeons’, a monster was born and escaped. In many aspects she was similar to Curce the God of Devils. Her power was beyond anyone else, her magic dominated death, and her eyes looked at a world that disgusted her to the depths of her core.

Her actions, however, were wholly different from him.

She gathered the soulless constructs of the sealed Vile Gods and gave them souls. She formed settlements to house these monsters within the corrupted lands. She brought the lost and betrayed to her side, transforming them into intellegent human-like monsters. To help lead these new races of intelligent monsters she aided reputable and benevolent monster kings to rise to ascend to the realm of Vile Gods.

Under the Primordial’s noses, a faction had formed without their knowledge. A faction consisting of intelligent monster nations guided by Vile Gods forged in deadly life and death combat. At the head of this new faction was a mortal who had power surpassing that of most gods called the 'Goddess of Desires'.

What cemented her as the one who would oppose the Primordials once more was her achievement of a feat  of magic that even gods of other realms trembled at.

She could break souls.

She was capable of permanently ending the existence of anyone she chose.

No Revival.

No undead transformation.

No way to heal.

With this power she set out to complete her goal.

Her goal was complete dominance over the continent, to rid the land of those who could do harm to her children.

This power and goal made her a being that couldn't be ignored. Just like Curce, the Primordials attempted to kill her, heroic spirits, Gods and their strongest followers were lead by the War Goddess of Fire Shiva. However they were destroyed one-sidedly, their souls and the souls of their believers broken. The gods could only look on in horror as their greatest fighter, Shiva the head of the war gods, was destroyed without even landing a single hit.

In despair, they devised a plan.

Death magic wielded by the Goddess of Desires and the God of Devils was foreign and required foreign power to combat.

What if they got champions from a foreign world? Ones who were strong and empowered them further?

The Goddess of Desires didn't bear nearly as much power as the God of Devils but was more dangerous due to her trait. At that point even the oldest gods feared for their lives. If there was a chance they should take it.

Sui Warian, with her magic, reached out to another world and brought forth seven individuals. Hearing the Gods' plea the individuals accepted the request and brought their knowledge to this new world.

Vesna, champion of Argus.

Alino, champion of Slangar.

Domas champion of Audic.

Denous champion of Golia.

Andresh champion of Noratit.

Eshna champion of Sui Warian.

Dashenga champion of Dugris.

These were the names of the champions who abandoned their peaceful world to aid this destroyed one. Their knowledge proved invaluable, many spells, techniques and devices that never existed before were created. With their strength and intellect the weaker races fight against the stronger monsters came to a standstill. The war came to a standstill for a number of decades. On several occasions the champions came close, so very close but the Goddess of Desires fooled them, escaping with her forces intact while withering away at the champions’.

Until something happened.

Corrupted by dark desires of vengeance after betrayal, rejection and loss; Denous, Andresh, Eshna, and Dashenga, the Four Fallen Champions, betrayed humanity and joined the Goddess of Desires.

They told the goddess and her children of many secrets from their old world, magic and forging techniques the monsters used to bolster their forces. Taking these techniques and her own magic she created many perverse and horrific disciples.

Valkyries who wielded devastating physical might and masterful sword techniques.

Shinobi, masters of infiltration and unknown techniques that couldn't be replicated through magic or science.

The ‘Magical Girls’ were among the most terrifying of the goddess's disciples. Possessing indescribable beauty which charmed the hearts of many warriors while also being the greatest mystic masters.

Though the most horrific of her subordinates were the corrupted races given birth to by the Goddess of Desires herself after mating with the fallen champions.

With Denous she birthed the demonic Oni.

With Adresh she birthed the night-ruling Vampires.

With Eshna she birthed the chain-wielding Werewolves.

With Dashenga she birthed the battle-hungry Kijin.

The war grew fiercer as these forces took to the field. The machinery and magic of the followers of the Primordials seemed almost useless in the face of the monsters' power and the Goddesses' wit.

The three remaining champions, Vehsna, Alino, and Domas, and their power was the only reason the Primordials' forces weren't utterly destroyed, but the losses were immense. Seeing this devastation, many races, gods and demi-gods lost trust in the champions and the primordials. This group betrayed the Primordials and became Vile Gods of the Goddess of Desires faction.

Still the three remaining Champions didn't falter. Their will was firm enough to renew the gods' resolve. They worked together in a final last ditch attempt to destroy the Goddess of Desire; they risked everything, every soldier, knight, god and demi-god in a full frontal assault.

One singular chance at victory.

If they couldn't outsmart this goddess, they would outgun her no matter how many sacrifices it took!

At the cost of many billions of lives and Slangar, Audic, Golia and Dugris falling into slumber, the remaining champions broke the Goddess of Desire's defenses. With their power the fallen champions fought till the bitter end, sealing Noratit and Su'Warian before confronting their former allies. Speaking words of infernal anger and twisted hatred the fallen champions battled their tearful companions who swelled their grief and fought for the future. At the end the champions fell, killed by their companions who were unable to be set free from their dark desires that consumed their souls.

Seeing this, the Goddess of Desires took to the front lines enraged at the loss of her champions. The battle was fierce and deadly, lasting for many months. The continent rumbled and shook with each attack launched; still, even with her body torn to shreds, even cut in half, the Goddess of Desires ensured the Champions had not a moment of rest until a critical moment came.

Ending the battle was an attack that dealt a grievous injury to the Goddess of Desires' immortal body.

Similarly the champions weren't in good shape either. Having been cursed, infected and poisoned in various ways the remaining champions had fallen into a deep slumber before they could deal the killing blow.

Though this was not the end, with the last inklings of power, The Goddess of Desire created several areas of toxic, inhospitable land that divided her lands from those controlled by the Primordials.

This act brought an end to the Savage Ages.

However, it is a known fact that the Goddess of Desires still rests, overseen by pureblood vampires and her closest disciples in one of the seven 'X' ranked dungeons, south of the boundary.

This was the general legend and history that most common folk are told by their parents and teachers about the time before the current Modern Age. However there are some rumors, hushed and secret among the select few of high leve church officials or underground criminals, that the Goddess of Desires' revival is near and her forces are gathering with the intent of hastening this revival. 

Like all his fellow, Dalton learned this same legend from his mentor after graduating. Even though he trusted his mentor, he did not believe everything that was told to him. There was a part of him that found it hard to believe anyone could make a weapon so powerful that it could slay millions of vile gods at once.

However he knew that many legends do have some inkling of truth to them.

"What was her name again?" asked a semi-translucent man. 

He was dressed amicably in black noble attire complimented by a cape that covered half of his body. He had a well-featured face that seemed about twenty years old with no facial hair and bright yellow eyes. Yet, despite the appearance of being your average handsome noble he was coated in a thin black mist and floated in the air on a small gathering of darkness.

The semi-translucent man scratched his head as he tried to remember the name that was on the tip of his tongue. "Mary? No, it starts with a 'K'. Ahhh-hmm?"

Hearing a loud explosion in the distance the man looked over his shoulder.

The area around the semi-translucent man was a large cathedral made of black earth. The cathedral was ornate, with several finely made decorations made of fine silk and vibrant crystals. Littering the area were large red scented candles that burned illuminating large murals with unknown inscriptions. 

Near these murals were windows that allowed one to see the outside. Outside the cathedral was filled with a thick cloud of white steam, created from rain perpetually falling on molten black earth. On occasion a bolt of lightning cut through the air and hit the ground causing cracks that spewed magma and volcanic ash. 

Thankfully, he was a Living Armor type astral undead, the man had nothing to fear from these pits of magma and ash.

From the magma pits large snakes made of molten magma and black rocks emerged with worms made of ash and soot. The Large Magma Snakes and Ash Worms leapt at the man who was distracted but the man looked back rapidly

“Rapid Response, Thousand Shadow Slashes, Striking Shadow Snakes.”

Activating Armor technique, Sword technique, and Throwing technique martial arts, the man’s right hand disappeared in a cloud of shadows that cut the magma monsters from every direction in rapid succession. While from that cloud tendrils made of shadows pierced the magma the magma slimes hiding within the magma pit causing loud screams to echo in the air.

When the dark cloud entered the sleeves and pant legs the man was holding a large pile of black crystal blobs and tubes.

“Monster organs hahahahaha!” he laughed, covering them in his shadows and storing them away. The manipulation of shadows and the ability to store items in those shadows was the main ability of this undead, which he used to kill the monsters without danger or need to boost his power. “Never thought that slime organs would look like that though.” 

The man returned to taking pictures of murals with unknown inscriptions and statues depicting eldritch horrors. Over his shoulder he asked “Dalton do you know her name?”

"Embrace of the Flame Spirits, Thousand Slashes!" the Spirit Sword: Dalton, a man dressed in light leather clothing, a green cloak and a skull mask yelled spiritedly.

He released several vibrant, green flame slashes from his single edged straight blade in his remaining left hand. 

“Steel body.”

Each arc came from different angles and directions and dug into the large being made of burning red and orange liquid armored in black rocks in the rough shape of armor wielding a black flaming sword, a Volcanic Knight.

Withstanding the martial art of sword technique with an armor technique martial art, the Volcanic Knight swung his sword, throwing fireballs with each swing,but the man was shielded by several silhouettes made entirely of blue fire holding red orbs.

"Damn it!" He screamed as he disappeared, no he was moving so fast that it merely seemed like he vanished. he appeared next to the Volcanic knight who blocked his sword swing, one after another Dalton appears around the knight but the knight dexterously parried every attack. Vanishing the two illuminated the room with their blades' sparks, while shock waves shook the cathedral. "Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!"

"Go!" Silhouettes made of water, steam, and ice holding blue orbs charged surrounding the knight who fought back violently. The infernal blade scorched the grounds of the cathedral, melting away the ice dome and water projectiles that kept him in place. 

"Nice ladies!" Dalton yelled as his eyes glowed vibrant green as he took a simple charging stance with his sword aimed at where a human's neck would be. "Mana Pulse (Lightning)! Surpass limits (Speed)! Sealed Sword (Ice) Release! Flash step! Lightning Burst Step! Iai Icy Burst!"

“Flow Reversal.” The knight whispered, activating a martial art.

Activating his traits and martial arts, Dalton's body let out a blinding burst of lightning while his sword extended, spreading a deathly chill. The man took a step sundering the floor beneath him, launching him with speed that shredded the air with a crisp sound. This sound was drowned out by the thundering explosion as the cathedral was split in two by sharp blade of win.

 The Volcanic Knight was left headless and covered in frost, then it  fell in two, cut from its left shoulder to its right hip, shattering into dozens of pieces without a single sound.

"Floor thirty boss has been defeated." an omnipresent voice announced as a large white door opened in space with an orange digital clock above it counting down from thirty minutes. "Please move to the next floor."

"Floors cleared! Magma Golem Slayed!" Dalton painted in relief while his arms and legs screamed in pain "Oh yeah! Fuck I really shouldn't have done that. Shit! Charlie horse! Charlie horse! ARRRRRAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH-!"

"Dalton! What's the name of that X-ranked adventurer? The one who slayed a resurrected Vile God of Darkness?" the semi-translucent man asked his master despite the sight of him coughing green blood while more green blood from his stomach area. 

"Rodger! Give the man a rest!" One of the silhouettes made of steam chastised the well dressed man while she and other water, steam and ice ghosts healed Dalton's body. "Can't you see he's in pain?"

"So?" Rodger asked with a shrug as he took out a camera and tossed it onto Dalton's chest. "He was fighting that thing for what? An hour? Two? That isn't a surprise, isn't it?"

Flow reversal, a sword technique martial art meant to counter a charging opponent’s sword swing by cutting their stomach or, more ideally, their wrist.

"Honestly I thought boss'd be more hurt." a fire ghost added bringing the black flaming longsword to her master's side. "After that? at level twenty three? you shouldn't have legs to begin with. I cut my first building at level thirty."

"See?" Rodger said, pointing at the fire ghost earning a dismissive sigh from the steam ghost.

"At this pace I'll get a trait like 'Strengthen Muscular Structure' or 'Lesser Resistance (Martial Arts)'." Dalton joked as he sheathed his sword and activated his 'Ring of Lesser Regeneration' slowly healing his body in conjunction with his tamed ghosts. "By Argus that hurt!"

Though his nickname from his days in the Tamers and Commerce guilds was 'Spirit Sword', that wasn't exactly true. He was not a Shaman, an Onmyoji or an Exorcist, who used magic to talk to ghosts or materialize them. His ability to tame lingering spirits, the lowest form of astral undead creatures, in other words, he was similar to a necromancer. However he wasn't one, not in his eyes.

He was able to see the lingering spirits of those who had died since he was a kid and from there he learned to make them into astral type undead; Elemental Ghosts, Living Armors and Cursed Weapons by tieing them to an object.

Despite this unique talent, he also was a talented sword user. However, due to his obsession with his taming ability and the loss of his dominant arm, his talent had eroded. It was only after he was released from jail seven years ago that he began training in sword technique in earnest.

"That's what you get, kid." A fire ghost with a deep voice answered, "Too many strengthening traits acting at once can hurt the user, and you aren't the 'power' type, you're more of a speedy type."

"Give it a few more years." Rodger continued drawing from his experience as a former adventurer who mastered the 'Sword Technique' trait. "Once you get some 'body structure augmentation' traits at the advanced rank you'll be able to use them without pain."

"Wait, are you giving me encouragement?" Dalton asked in fake shock. "Who art thee? what hath thou done with my master, the great Lord Rodger?"

"Can you tell me the name of that adventurer you dumbass?" The living armor sighed with an annoyed expression.

"the 'Black Piper' Maign, leader of 'Darkness', the second 'X'-ranked adventure team." Dalton answered, remembering the living adventurer legend who was said to be as strong as the demi-gods of myth. "Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering if she-”Rodger started but was cut off by a ghost.

“He.” An ice ghost said while crossing his arms “Us elves are androgynous but it can't be that hard to tell he's a dude.”

 “-he really is as strong as demi-gods." Rodger continued as Dalton rose to his feet. "What do you think?"

"Some of it is likely true." Dalton hummed, recalling what he had heard of the Sinerns kingdom’s hero. "Back when you had a flesh body you could kick down mountains with just the shockwaves from your punches after all."

"I wasn't even trying with those." Rodger scoffed, displeased at the reminder of the strength he once had as a Goliath.

"And you were only 'A'-rank." Dalton followed, further annoying his adventurer mentor.

In accordance with the champion Alino's wishes when he created the first Adventurers guild, Adventurers and various non-human threats were organized in a letter-based ranking system.

All members who are newly joined, regardless of the strength they wield prior to joining, start at the 'E'-rank. If they survive, complete quests and prove themselves capable they can get promoted to the 'D'-rank after passing an exam. For Dalton this exam was a hunting mission that occurred less than a week before the undead began coming out of nowhere. 

This was the case with promotions to further ranks though there were some added requirements such as getting along with those of high-society that also affected one's promotion to further ranks.

At the top of the guild's ranking was the legendary rank 'X' a level only given to those who've slain a godlike entity, a 'Superior' or 'High' monster. Immortal entities said to rule the lands south of the boundary and sealed in the deepest of holy grounds.

"I heard that he's always the first to complete a quest." a water ghost said followed by an ice ghost "Yeah that's why he’s so hated among other adventurers."

"I heard something similar but I want to believe that he has a lover who's a master of 'love making techniques’." Dalton huffed, forcing down his jealousy of the nearly two-hundred year old man who had women crawling to be with him. "Top class prostitutes are so awesome."

Nodding Rodger laughed "Oh you bet! I heard they can literally massage you so well you become younger."

"Really? Damn. Makes you wonder who's the real wizard?" the masked man sighed looking into the distance longingly.

"OK, let's get away from that!" A fire ghost interjected forcibly slapping the two with a flaming tentacle. "So thirty floors in a matter of two weeks? That has to be a record."

"The fastest dungeon clearing was like a week." Dalton retorted in pain as his healing was completed. Walking over to the broken Volcanic Knight he began extracting black crystal tubes and tube fragments. "Besides, this dungeon is, like, C-Rank in terms of danger,now? Volcanic Kight’s have gone through six metamorphoses?"

"Seven." the deep voiced fire ghost answered.

"Thanks. Yeah, C-Rank." Dalton groaned. ”Seriously, how much negative mana was packed into that damned shockwave? Or was it just that mana was already present and that shockwave just loosened whatever barrier or seal prevented it from entering the dungeon.”

Currently Dalton, at the request of the leader of one of the many small settlements in the forests and mountains around the kingdom, was culling the population of monsters inside a dungeon that appeared nearby.

From what he had heard from the settlement's chief this dungeon had been around ‘E’ rank, just enough for the average farmer to survive in and hunt Goblins and Kobolds for meat. However a little over five months ago the dungeon, which was ‘themed’ after a forest, began emitting an intense amount of heat, turning the area around it into an area of constant fire and lava. Apparently situations like this, where dungeons changed ‘themes’ and danger ranks changed overnight after the negative energy explosion, were common among other small estranged settlements.

"I don't know." Rodger answered with a sigh "in all my experience I haven't seen anything like this. Dungeons rapidly gaining floors is one thing but to go from tenty floors to god knows how many floors made of magma? that practically unheard-of."

"And we cant do shit but cull the population in here so the don't spill out." sighed Dalton feeling a sense of helplessness

"Don't feel bad, kid." Rodger sighed as he put the crystalized tubes into the shadows beneath his clothing. Feeling his shadows grow heavier with crystalized monster organs, Rodger's eyes glow brightly. "Look on the bright side, we're gonna be rich when we get to towns and cities near Ulst! Rich I say!"

"Money hungry as always." A water ghost sighed while the other water aligned ghosts nodded.

"What was that?" The living armor yelled, summoning a large great sword with a red rectangular blade. "Say that again, you formless bitches! GO AHEAD! MAKE MY DAMN DAY!"

“Still doesn't make me feel good to not get rid of this place.” sighed Dalton, knowing that this was only a temporary relief for the people. "If only I could get 'Old Timer' here, he could do the 'dungeon suppression' ritual."

The "dungeon suppression ritual” is a specialized ritual performed by highly experienced and skilled spatial magic users who possess a deep understanding of dungeons and their power. The purpose of the ritual is to stave off or neutralize the negative after-effects of a dungeon after it has been completed so its resources can be collected.

It's common knowledge that dungeons appear in areas full of mana and grow stronger the more mana they absorb. All items, monsters and environments within the confines of a floor along with the number of floors are created through mysterious naturally occurring magic. However once the dungeon has been 'conquered', when the boss of the final floor has been defeated, the dungeon would dissolve into pure mana and explode violently, turning the land into an uninhabitable monster's den.

To avoid this disastrous outcome and ensure it poses as little of a threat to the surrounding settlements and population as possible the Mages guild sends special mages capable of this ritual. It involves a complex incantation the length of an entire encyclopedia, precise inscription of runes, and a deep understanding of the innate spatial energy of the dungeon. In exchange the dungeon can be preserved for a number of months or even a couple of years, turning it into a market hub for miners and mages while allotting time to evacuate citizens.

Sadly none of Dalton's ghosts, living armors or cursed weapons have this capability.

Dalton only saw one person, a man who called himself 'Old Timer', complete the ritual successfully. Sadly he was on an extended expedition to the unexplored ‘Dark Continent’.

"Well we can't do much, ultimately this is a charity job." A water ghost sighed pointing at the gate "All we can do is kill all the monsters till we get to the mid boss then retreat."

"Yeah let's get more organs!" Rodger screamed in delight.

"That sounds so very, very wrong!" sighed Dalton as he walked into the rectangular door with his allies and his new infernal sword.

Meanwhile, Kali, who was told the mythological tales and historical events of this world, stopped walking and practicing her traits. Looking back at her spirit companions which had grown considerably fewer in the past hours? Days? Yes, two days. She spent these last two days searching for the 'merchant' while avoiding monsters with her clones.

"How in the hell?" Kali asked, her voice louder than needed. If someone could see her face under the mass of oily skin that covered all but her arms it would be a mix of shock and slight anger.

During times of rest she was told various stories by the lingering spirits who were quickly dwindling in number. Hearing the mythology as told by the humans and monsters passed down from their ancestors she felt her heart flutter in wonder at the tales. Envisioning such titanic battles that crumbled the skies and parted the seas made her feel hot with excitement.

She wants to become that powerful!

She wanted to be a cool champion!

No, she wanted to be one of those legendary 'Beast Kings' who ruled over kingdoms of monster kings and made new races.

Though once she got over the wonder of the stories, she began to think about them and the events of the past.

Were there really other worlds?

If so, what were they like?

What was that 'something'?

Was it from another world?

What is the Devil's Sun?

What was its connection to dungeons?

What even were the dungeons?

Could there be more otherworldly visitors hiding in the kingdom?

If so, how powerful were they?

These questions entered her mind as she replayed the tales in her head as she looked at the spirits.

"So, you're telling me that humans have all the inventions and technology of these otherworldly visitors or what not and haven't taken over the world?" Kali asked, voicing her real thoughts.

Among all the stories she had heard, the ones about warriors and weapons from the champions' world stood out most to her. They told of constructs; suits of armor capable of flying and transforming to fire spells with no incantation, vehicles capable of flying through the air with weapons capable of firing laser beams in the hundreds of thousands for dozens of minutes, and air crafts that exist at heights that no monsters could reach that could be contacted for anything from scanning mana to finding directions.

For elite military squad personnel to use or to defend themselves from distant monster kingdoms, most kingdoms duplicated all of these tools and more.

With these tools, which exceed any technology monsters possess, and the great diversity among the followers of the Primordials, Kali believed they could kill all monsters, or at least all monsters within their territory.

With a little more thought Kali came to her answer, one so obvious she felt dumb.

"Great Wiseman." Kali called summoning her 'second brain' but paused as she worded her thoughts as best she could. "is it possible, based on how monsters control mana and knowing the humans of Marzh village don't eat mana laced plants, that humans can't survive in areas of dense mana?"

The 'Sorcery' trait taught Kali to cycle mana through her body, through her organs, muscles, skin, blood, and bones, evenly and all at once when practicing mana control. However when reading a book about mana control, it instructed her to cycle mana through a 'Mystic Medium' while under supervision when practicing due to the risk of 'possible organ failure from mana poisoning'.

What if there was enough mana in an area to cause this 'Mana Poisoning' without needing to control it? Undead monsters who possess the living, called Poltergeists, kill their prey like this.

Additionally, Kali forgot about dungeons, unnatural environments, strong monsters, and Monster Kings when considering the reasons the Primordials' followers hadn't killed all monsters.

"Yes, Master." Great Wiseman answered after a brief calculation, "it is highly likely that areas of dense mana are toxic to non-monsters based on what we know."

Hearing this Kali sighed. She now understood why the people of the 'Savage Age' waged constant war on each other over land. "This world is harsh."

"Yes, Master." Great Wiseman agreed.

"Well, not my problem." Kali shrugged, pushing her sympathy for the ancestors of many monster races and the innocent creatures of the present down and returning to walking.

She and her clones traveled up a large sand dune on a small road made of fleshy roots. Thanks to 'Root Creation' she was able to construct a crude, but functional, inclined surface over the fragile dunes' surface, allowing her and her clones carrying weapons to walk uninhibited. This was her way of training in the trait's use before using it in combat.

Reaching the top of the sand dune Kali spotted a small hut.

"Merchant?" she asked, noticing the green circle around the hut. Creating a bridge out of flesh roots, Kali and her clones entered the green circle without any problems.

"You have entered the Safe Zone. Enjoy your purchase."

"Looks like I was right." Kali hummed looking over the hut, tent, in the center of the safe zone.

The merchant's tent was a small, makeshift structure made of colorful fabric and simple poles. Around the structure were several pots decorated with crystals and stones, releasing a strong, but fragrant flower smell.

"Are all merchant huts like this?" Kali wondered looking at her clones which held various pieces of armor, weapons and the staffs of the desert zombie casters. "I hope this is enough."

Walking into the hut, the chimera gazed at the items on display inside.

She was surprised by the size of the tent inside and the warm, inviting atmosphere accompanying vibrant patterns and banners hanging overhead. However that was overtaken by the variety of items for sale on its shelves. Light yellow metal armor adorned with clear glass shards and swords that looked old but strong. Some of the potions had peculiar colors, orbs with glistening surfaces, and magic scrolls stamped with unknown seals.

Sitting behind a small table was a man. The merchant was a tall, slender man with a wise, weathered face. His clothes were adorned with intricate embroidery and he wore a large necklace with a strange stone nestled in it. He exuded an aura of calmness and knowledge, his deep eyes reflecting an enigmatic nature.

"Ahahaha!" He laughed seeing Kali as she and her clones entered the hut. "Quite the odd one ain' yeh'? what are you in for?"

XXXXX

Monster explanation 

Volcanic Knight- one of many monsters with the 'Knight' title. Just like other 'Knight'/ 'Warrior' monsters it possessed some form of intelligence being able to strategize, adapt and use martial arts. Sometimes they wield unique weapons and armor that can be acquired by adventurers after their defeat.

Large Magma Snakes-A variant of Large Snakes that are made from magma. Though they lack the deadly poison most snake monsters have they are made from molten magma and can spit small jets of that magma to dissolve anyone with that magma.

Ash Worms-A variant of Large Worms that are made of ash and soot. Though they aren't able to burrow underground and lack the jaws of worm monsters the ash and soot that make up their is highly toxic and can kill if not treated properly.

Magma Slime- A variant of slime made of molten magma that is extremely slow but frighteningly large for a slime.

1