Arc 1 part 22
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the kingdom of Sinerns, in the capital city of Lelh, rain poured. Each drop was strong like a hammer, hitting the windows as if counting down the seconds until the clock reaches the next hour. Despite the somber mood of the people, the lights of the city's billboards, stores and restaurants glowed brightly, illuminating the streets and the people who walked the sidewalks.

In the upper class district where many nobles and high ranking officials, mansions lined the streets. At every corner, thermal-night vision security cameras scan every inch ready to alert the knights at the slightest sign of an intruder. Bordering each mansion were metal walls and gates made of Oricalcum, the strongest metal. Overhead spy helicopters flew patrolling the skies.

No one, monster or human, had or could ever infiltrate this district of wealthy people.

Among this exclusive group of extremely wealthy people who called this place home was the man who held the title of 'Marshal', the highest rank of military commander. The man signed one document after another on his tablet with his stylist.

The man was dressed from head to toe in the finest clothes made by the highest-caliber seam masters the guild could offer. The room he was in was exquisite, with any luxury and treat one could want. Yet the owner of this room didn't have the same mood.

"Fuck!" He, Marshal Tristan Bennett, whispered, pushing his green hair back as he leaned back, exhausted by the amount of work. "I really wasn't prepared for all this shit."

Even though all the documents, the reports from the knight commanders sent to help the various duchies in their defense, were so numerous Tristan knew what they had all said.

The majority are about the nightly undead disturbances.

The damages caused by the emission of negative mana, the costs incurred by priests from purifying entire city blocks that become haunted by Ghosts and Wraiths. The parts and organs harvested from skeletons, zombies, ghouls, slimes and their variants. The cost of using these remnants to enhance their equipment.

A few payment records from the Dukes to the knights and commanders. A word or two from the borders about the various monster kings and the movements of the monster kingdoms beyond the Boundary.

However that wasn't what he was interested in, not in the slightest.

In this world, on rare occasions in the churches of the great god Argos members of the clergy would receive what was known as a divine message. The words of a god spoken to a human to guide them in times of struggle.

Six months ago Archbishop Liara, the Oracle of the White Court, delivered a divine message: "On the day where the sun meets the moon, a god will rise to prevent his doom. Though the battle will be great indeed, his defeat will leave the land in need."

The kingdom began to prepare immediately. The church mobilized its soldiers, the Etherials coordinated with him, and the guilds joined forces. All in preparation for whatever happened, whatever God would be resurrected they would be killed. However on the day of an eclipse came and passed, no god came, and only when he started to feel that this had all been a haux-

"Fucking undead, always those bastards."

Strong warriors made of bones that swung their swords until their skulls were crushed. Mindless flesh bags who spread diseases through physical contact. Chaotic flesh eaters that mutilate their own bodies to destroy their opponents. All of these races made by Vile Gods rose from the ground day after day, killing countless more!

"Just go back to hell! Fucking pieces of shit."

"Awww, now that's no way for a noble little boy to speak." A crow, perched on the windowsill, admonished with a light but firm tone as though they were a teacher. "What would your parents think if they heard you speak those words, young man?"

Tristan closed his eyes. He didn't know if that was meant to be an actual scolding or a joke, either fit with this one, cute and friendly until she didn't want to be.

"Why are you here?" He asked the crow who perched itself on the pile of papers. "My hands are tied at the moment."

"Nothing is needed from you for now." the crow answered "I just wanted to tell you about the happenings among the kings. Or is that too much for you, Oh so great Lord Marshal Tristain?"

"Please, the stage is yours, Witch of Crows." Tristan acquiesced, desiring to know more about the select few monsters who held the title of 'King'. "What is the word on the grapevine?"

"The dragon fist king has been overthrown by another who managed what he couldn't in the mountains, the White Elder, Swiftshade and Blood Roar have passed on the title, and Night Fall, Dead Song, and Rainbow Scales have died and been succeeded." The crow reported "Regardless they have been busy stopping the overflow of undead from the mountains and lakes, or killing the monsters who try to invade their terf."

"In comparison to doing paperwork, what you said was the highest class of theater play." the green haired man said as he stretched his legs "So I guess you want to hear from me now?"

"Isn't that how a trade works? Or do you wish to treat me, a shy young maiden, like a simple gossip girl?"

"You basically are at this point." He thought but spoke of the most recent news amongst the upper crust "the king is still indecisive on who his successor is."

"Old news!"

"But the second prince claimed he had received a divine message."

"Nevermind! What's it about?"

"I didn't ask, but the third prince told me it was something about preventing "the victims of lust from becoming mothers to the dark young" or something like that." The Marshal explained looking for the documents he had signed. Picking one he showed it to the crow who read the request from a small group of knights to accompany the second prince. "I don't know what he's thinking but I don't care, I support the third prince."

"Don't lie," the crow commanded. "It doesn't suit you or me."

"I see." Tristan sighed, wishing to know what the vampire woman thought of the rumored divine message.

Truthfully he didn't support the third prince himself, for all he was a political prodigy, he was only thirteen years old. However he, without a second of hesitation, would support his benefactor; Lady Daphne Lupton, the half-elf honorary baroness. If the third prince's political cunning and the honorary baronesses' wealth of wisdom were put to optimal use? The throne was easily within their grasp.

That is if the second prince's divine message didn't lead to something or the first prince were to do something.

"Don't forget about the potential suitors of the three princesses." The crow reminded the Marshal who sighed, his mind was read once again. "There are many people looking at the second and third princesses. I can only imagine that at the end of this the Duke that distinguished themselves the most might get one of their hands."

"I don't know about the third princess, she's only six and born from a bitchy concubine."

"Language young sir!"

"But the second princess is soon to be of a marriageable age." Tristan said forcefully while his purple eyes filled with anger. "However she has a stigma because of what you blood suckers did to the queen. I find it quite hard to believe anyone will marry her willingly."

"Despite that, it's interesting." the crow commented, changing the subject as it perched itself on his shoulder. "Perhaps there is a monster lurking within the red-light district's borders."

"Is that what you think?" Tristan answered as the fire in his chest subsided.

"Seems the most likely: easy prey, ample numbers due to an increase in homelessness, and it's not like the unattractive ones would be missed." Tristan raised an eyebrow. "Don't give me that look. You know I'm right."

There were a few races, such as goblins, orcs, and minotaurs that used women of other races as carriers for their children. There were also races like the Seqemtii and Anophid who possessed dark knowledge that allowed them to turn people into members of their own race.

He had been told of monster kings who could use magic and some subordinates of monster kings who could too.

"Perhaps a mimic-human? Or a powerful illusionist monster?" he wondered out loud before shaking his head. "They probably see that as cowardice."

"Well, whoever it is, We'll find them." the crow shrugged before looking in both directions. "In a few days someone will reach out to you for something. Word among the grapevine is that the Nosferatus have received a divine message."

Tristan watched as the crow left, regretting that he could no longer avoid the piles of paperwork.

XXXXX

Through the eyes of her tentacle-haired female body, which she had taken to calling 'Occultic Mother', Daji looked at her newest pet project.

The chimera, whom she named Kali, was slowly taking a step after nearly a hundred bowls of Ichor of Vihxortol.

The Ichor of Vihxortol, the blood of the Vile God of Tainted Blood, contains powerful transformative properties that can weaken curses. When applied to Kali, the ichor erodes the negative effects of the curse on the cuts, gradually diminishing their hold.

She raised a bandaged leg and carefully lowered it, hearing no cracks after several seconds. Repeating the process several times, the chimera's movements increased in smoothness and speed until she walked like a normal person.

"I'm better?" Kali whispered, her voice trembling as she ran her hands over her body before laughing maniacally. "I'M BETTER, I CAN FIGHT NOW! TIME TO EAT! EAT, EAT AND EAT UNTIL I'M STRONG! HAHAHAHAHA!"

"Yup she's broken." Daji sighed. Controlling the body of the female cult leader she slapped the chimera with a hand covered in magical energy infused with a trait. The slap pierced the resistance and dealt full damage to Kali and left a painful sting.

"what was that-"

"Alright, come back down to earth!" the puppet controller wasn't having it, she yelled commanding her junior. "Get that out of your thick skull, dumbass monster! You won't be eating anything right now!"

Tears welled in the chimera's pupilless eyes but she obeyed. Following her instincts she lay on her back while exposing her stomach and chest, a display of defeat and submission.

"Sit up." She scoffed unammused by this act as a tingle ran up her spine. Seeing the chimera sitting cross-legged and ready to listen, she asked a simple question "what could you have done to win?"

"Nothing." Kali stated

"Incorrect." Daji countered, smacking the black monster with a tentacle. "You have Wiseman don't you? It can read minds. You could've predicted each attack and thought of that thing."

"Really? Great wiseman, is that true?" Kali asked, calling on her trait who analyzed her memories.

"'Great' Wiseman?" Daji asked, a question mark floating above her head. "You evolved it?"

"That is a possibility master." The trait started robotically, while Daji listened in with her Wiseman trait. "I do believe we have done so before when fighting members of 'Cerberus' but your memories are too fragmented to provide any certainty."

"Fucking giants!" Kali cursed remembering those giant masses of earth and their brilliant mana before hissing in pain, her head pulsing. "My head."

"So you've improved it? Seriously?" Daji sighed in honest shock at this anomaly. "How could you have lost? Are you that weak?"

"I guess he was too strong?" Kali asked, confused. "He beat me because he was stronger, more magical energy, stronger magical energy."

"You're lying, you had at least six or seven times as much mana as that beast. Your mana was way more potent too!" Daji stated, her voice breaking. Was Kali really this dumb? She couldn't have just run head first into an opponent she didn't know, right? Right?

"That’s true, master." Great wiseman followed. "At least before you were hit by the roar."

"But I hit him with my Mystic flames!" Kali yelled, rising to her feet. "It did a whole lot of nothing! He roared and blew it away! What the hell could I do?"

"You have 'Transmogrify', right?"

"Transmogrify?"

"A transformation type trait, it allows you to mimic the properties of inanimate objects."

"No, I have 'self-modification'."

"Oh? Even better!" She giggled, her annoyance leaving her tone as they approached a large docking port. "Finally we're here!"

Coming to rest at the docking port the skeletons disappeared and the two males joined the two females as they exited the boat.

"Stick close." the blue clothed body whispered to Kali as the group entered the large magical forest path. "Look at the place, fine, stray too far? You might get killed by one of the beasts."

The path was surrounded by towering trees that whispered secrets in the wind. Rainbows blossomed out of thin air, illuminating the path ahead. Magical creatures danced through the shimmering leaves, crawled through the bright blue dirt. Wildflower scents filled the air, luring them into an enchanted world.

It was beautiful! So beautiful! Filled with life and mana, Kali could feel it, like she was covered in lukewarm steam. Her eyes glowed in awe while her muscles eased, an inkling of a pupil coming into view as comfort entered her like a virus. It made her want to eat, compelled her to abandon all reason and be a beast, a monster.

"Do you like the place?" asked Daji through the blue and white clothed man as he strummed his instrument, casting a spell to ensure Kali's clarity of mind.

"Yes!" Kali said with childlike excitement. "It's so warm, I don't wanna leave!"

"Well it seems like my barrier is working." The puppeteer hummed "When you're a greater monster you'll be able to form a barrier like this one."

"Barrier?"

"Yes, or if you need a simplification: you are in my nest." The man whistled as he made several hand motions causing the branches to bend at several unnatural angles.

"Holy mother hugger!" Kali laughed "you're controlling it? A spell? A trait? What? Tell me!"

"Everything here is 'me'," the book-holding middle-aged man said. "Due to my mana entering the grounds, I can control anything created, cultivated or born within the barrier. This is the right of a 'Superior Monster'."

Kali nodded "What's a Superior monster?"

"A classification of a monster's evolutionary state." Great Wiseman answered before elaborating.

In contrast to humanoids, monsters grew and matured incrementally instead of linearly. They would fight, eat, and grow until they reached a 'wall', preventing further growth until they underwent a metamorphosis. Until they reach a wall again, the process would repeat continuously with increasingly dangerous opponents.

After a time the monsters would reach a state where they would be able to evolve into a new variant-race. Depending on how they developed and trained, a monster would become a specialized race like a 'Goblin General' or an 'Orc Mage' along with associated traits.

The evolutionary states of both monsters and traits go from 'Lesser' to 'Regular' or more commonly 'Advanced', to 'Greater', to 'Superior', to 'High' and finally 'Higher'.

"Well shit!" Kali gasped her eyes wide at Great Wiseman's words before her chest burned with ideas. The potential evolution of her race, becoming more monstrous and powerful after eating them alive! She felt her blood lust rise as she imagined herself towering over mountains and oceans with legions of children at her beck and call. "That is so awesome."

"Yup." The Occultic Mother body side, every time a monster or human finds out about the evolution system they have some form of delusion like that. Well to be fair before she knew the consequences she thought like that too. 

Turning on her heels, she began walking backwards. As Kali stared at the face, she became anxious. It lacked any emotions, pure seriousness like she was a predator ready to-

"That's right, everything that was said is perfectly factual." Daji said before Kali could finish her thoughts, angered at being degraded to a simple 'predator'. "But what isn't mentioned for one reason or another is that as one rises in 'Evolutionary Status', the closer one is to mana itself."

Kali let out a curious whimper. Closer to mana means more mana, right? That's a good thing. More mana means more trait and spell usage? Why did the entity make it sound so bad?

"No. No, it's not!" The book holding body yelled "The more mana you have the more time it takes to regenerate all your mana. Right now, you barely have one-tenth of the mana you need to activate a single first finger spell."

"It will take approximately two months for master's mana to fully regenerate at this rate." Great Wiseman added "Master, unless you acquire a trait that increases mana recovery, this will stay as is."

"To add to that." the blue and white clothed man interjected with a harsh tug of his instrument's strings. "The closer one is to mana the more likely one is to mix with the land itself, losing your will in the process."

All living things suffered this fate, even before they were returned to the earth at a person's 'True Death'. This phenomenon is commonly called 'Dementia' by humans, 'Price of the Forgeman' by dwarfs, and 'Curse of the Demon King' by elves. They're all different names for the same thing, when one's mind becomes weaker as they age. The 'names' of monsters existed because of this reason.

Kali stayed silent, she was in thought, a true, deep session of contemplation.

The puppeteer Daji allowed this to happen. All children needed that time to themselves, a time to contemplate the question of "What will I do with my future?" Though she did find it unnerving that she had to give such a weighty choice to a five-month-old monster. A baby in her eyes.

Still she wasn't going to let another tragedy happen, no matter how much she wanted someone to share her misery. A portion of herself existed within this chimera along with that rat asshole Ozimuth but also the hero. She needed to develop her mind as much as she needed to develop her power if only to overcome Ozimuth and that 'King'.

In no way could Daji afford to let Kali be like before now that she had confirmation of her suspicions. 

"Oh brother." She thought as her mind came to the realization. "I'm becoming a mother again!"

1