Prologue
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            I yawn aloud, looking at the space between the door and panel; mulling over the assignment I must face in the day ahead.  Meanwhile, everyone on the train is staring at their phones. There is some yawning back too.

Fresh like a doughnut out of the oven this summer morning, Eden walks in. As the sunlight pierces the clouds like a spear and gently lands on the train floor, a plethora of people start to fill the space.

Walking in with earphones on, a lady steps in.  With shades, a brand hand-carry and a bubble tea takeaway, she glances around quickly.

I try to figure out which bubble tea brewery she is a customer of. The takeaway bag has a zebra logo on it. She notices me as soon as I glimpse at her bubble tea. I straighten up, look forward and pretend to use my smartphone.

I was boiling before stepping into the cooled air of the transport, it is really an engineering marvel.

Looking up, it is an unfamiliar train. The public transport company must have upgraded their technology, I grin silently to myself.

As cool as a flamingo, Eden glances away. Noticing the other passengers and the beautiful scenery of the dark tunnel we are passing through.  

 

            Within the darkness, there is no abyss. only dim lights. Countable, what seemed like went on forever, adorned the walls and ceilings.

This artificial living environment exists in a universe of its own. Commuters use the system without much thought or financial pain. It is a seamlessly interwoven organism in its very own right. Carefully calibrated blinking lights illuminate the pathway towards the world. There, lights are abundant, and the air is even crispier than inside these cosy cabins.

Squinting at the new board on the train, I suddenly come to realise this is for tourists. I could not help but pout, this is a necessary "evil" after all.

While pretending to browse my phone, I stumble upon a new short film announcement by my favourite director. From the app, it is slated to release roughly five weeks from now. I cannot wait! Ken shook with excitement, temporarily forgetting about the upcoming assignment.

Eden leans on the side door handle, takes a deep breath and exhales, creating an uneven shape of condensation on the train door.  

 

            He feels his neatly pressed maroon shirt and straightens his collar.

Eden knew deep within; the time has come. He stretches into his pocket and fishes out a black smartphone, his trusty spare.

Checking the order of events is in order, he looks at his calendar for the fifth time today. Eden reloads to the homepage and taps on the email icon. The draft is ready.

I tiptoe to clench the overhanging handlebar as I take a glimpse at my smartwatch. Breakfast is close.

Staring at her reflection in the glass, I notice Ken once again. He is letting out the brightest smile I have seen from anyone this week.

I could not help but smile back. Meanwhile, Ken is engrossed in his app.

 

            A techno-ripple chime rings the cabin awake. Ken looks over to Eden, who swiftly silences his phone. Beads of sweat drip down from his forehead as he taps accept.

"Mr Eden, your bouquet is ready at the venue, Sir. As a gentle reminder, the location can only be held for eight hours from the allocated time. Thank you for trusting our service and we wish you a wonderful day ahead."

With his laptop briefcase on the other hand and his trusty black smartphone; Eden nods yes.

He ends the call on the spot.

Later, he stares at the call record blankly. 

            

            "Next stop Pineberry station." The soothing voice reverberates throughout the cabins.

Eden looks at the email to check everything is in place. It is ready.

With gusto, he presses down hard on send.

Ken perks up from the overhead announcement. It is his stop. He gradually recalibrates to the present moment and sterns himself for the important day ahead. 

He massages his collar and flattens his tie. The train doors flush open and a wave of searing heat flows through. Ken strides into a familiar station and briskly makes his way towards an unknown destination.

 

Tapping around my watch, I send a message with an emoji to my closest male friend, who also happens to be my crush. It seems finicky from the outside. Despite that, it handled the task with ease.

The crisp cool air meets the summer breeze; bringing it rapidly towards room temperature. From my point-of-view, opposite the train is a basil Korean social app being advertised.

Eden observes the scenery afar. It is a beautiful sight today.

 

            The train doors close off the sweltering heat wave.

I see Ken's silhouette grow smaller with each second.

Without even a glimpse of the signboards, Ken saunters forward towards his office.

He wanted to be early.

Checking his smartphone, Eden starts to estimate the timings.

0