Chapter 2: Flashback
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"As you can see here, we use this formula to calculate the centre of gravity and ensure the building's integrity." my superior, Penny informed me.

"We also account for heat expansion and weight theory using complex numbers," added Sheryl.

"Yes, I will do up the 3D designs and submit them for approval after running through the calculations," Eden replies confidently.

Deep into my fourth year at DEC Architects (Den's Engineering Construction Architects), I am finally seeing the fruits of my labour.

"With these plans, the town will be transformed and people's lives will get better." Eden hopes silently in his heart.

            "Let's go to the new Japanese ramen restaurant in town! It's my treat."

"Someone has grown up."

"I will order everything that they have on the menu"

"And I'll order lobster with mine, hehe."

Bright smiles and laughter fills the usually cold and silent room. Everyone has worked extremely hard to get to this point. Now only the construction stands between us and our dream.

Clutching my pocket notebook, I pen down my thoughts using a pencil I took from a store. My shoelaces seemingly became untied.

I flashed a look of disgust to my closest colleague before bending down to tie them. "I'll be over in a second" I shouted across the road.

My brown faux leather dress shoes are new and glossy. They exude a sharp confidence and a slight tint. I hastily adjust my black socks at the same time.

As I was bending down to tie my shoes, I could see a cobbler in the corner of my eye. The elderly gentleman is about fifty. And he seems down from what I can tell. With the sails on my shoes, I promptly walk up to him and strike up a conversation.

"Hope you're having a good day, Sir! I would like to have my shoes shined please."

The gentleman took one look at my shoes and stares blankly. Pointing to the pristine condition the shoes were in, the gentleman tried to speak but no words came out.

After pausing for a second, the gentleman repeated his practice lines: "Welcome and no problem, Sir, I will have your shoes shining like the sun in no time at all.".

"Since these are expensive shoes, I do expect the bill to be higher."

"Yes Sir, for your shoes, about seventy-five dollars seem appropriate"

"Okay that seems a bit rough, can you do better?"

"How about sixty-five?"

"Lower before I walk away."

"OK, fifty-five is my final price"

I furrow my eyebrows and hand over the money anyway. The gentleman never noticed my smile as he kept the money.

He took out his tools and got to work. I sit down on the elevated chair and glance into the sea of people around me.

            A school of conformed compatriots strolled by, and raucous laughter and poking ensues from within. Another group passed by, discussing technical and challenging work issues. In between them all were lone warriors who were bent on getting the best seats for their precious mealtime.

I shifted the shoe stand to the admittedly handsome customer and readied my shoe polish and cloth. I was not exactly sure why he chose to come to me but I cannot say no to easy money. Maybe I can find out his motivations later on, I thought to myself; all this while wearing a poker face.

Eden continues the conversation and went on about what he was doing and accomplishing for the next thirty minutes. He was completely oblivious to the lunchtime limit.

            The snaking queues at the cafeteria were lining all the way to the entrances of the eatery. Being the tallest one in the group, I have a bird's eye view of the entire topography. In this maze of people, I crane my neck and look ahead. I manage to spot two distinct seats which are apart.  It's the usual lunchtime crowd in a city center after all. I grimace and bit my lips but to no avail.

            Crows from afar croak at the dawn of midday, it is but a sobering reminder of the overflowing cities that we find ourselves in. In many cases, it is no one's fault while the situation remains precarious and fragile. After all, resources are limited. And the competition is intense.

After all that is said and done, we built upwards, towards ever-high skyscrapers that scrap the edge of the atmosphere. In other cities, we build on artificial land, towards ever-increasing levels of prosperity and progress.

            Eden rejoins the group.

"In the midst of all this rapid change is the average joe like you and me, ", I turned to a colleague and explained. "it is a privilege to see such rapid changes for the better. But at the same time the cost-of-living skyrockets as a result of a much better quality of life. A trade off that is. But money does not grow on trees. Therefore, tough sacrifices have to be made."

"I would say it is harder for people starting right at the bottom. After all, you cannot get around higher numbers. Unless…"

"Unless?"

"Oh, I don't know..." I cut my sentence short and turn my face to dodge his glance.

"Oh! There are empty seats there, let's go." I pointed as I usher my colleague towards the north.

0