13: Anticipation
239 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Altair Isadora-Braveheart felt a cool breeze caress his face as he once again found himself overlooking Nereus Aquillion from atop the familiar hill, much like the first time he had gotten to experience a panoramic view of the town. Though there was one, very tangible difference this time; for neither Altair nor Nocturne had come this far with intent to retreat back into the warmth of their cozy manor.

The twins’ small hands were firmly cocooned in Hilde’s adult ones as they stood before the stone steps carved into the face of the hill, an unbroken pathway gracefully tracing its downward sloping contour to make for what looked like a comfortable descent. Altair noticed that Hilde’s grip, while not tight enough to be uncomfortable, was firmly locked onto his small palm.

“Now children, hold onto my hands firmly,” Hilde instructed, her voice infused with a hint of steeliness to clarify the seriousness of the matter. “And save your excitement until we’re safely at the bottom. Especially you, Nocturne,” Hilde cautioned, though there was some playfulness to her tone this time around; which, given Nocturne’s utterly captivated expression as she gazed at Nereus Aquillion, wasn’t all that surprising.

On their last visit, the Dungeon Town had merely been a vista to admire from afar, a welcome change in the environment before they returned to their comfortable, if simple, lives. Nocturne was too contented with her daily life to dream of venturing into some unfamiliar, unknown town, too afraid of the consequences of asking for more when every wish she had ever yearned for from her hospital bed, a world away now, had been fulfilled.

But when Mother herself had brought up the topic, Nocturne would be lying if she claimed that her attention wasn’t piqued. Although Altair hadn’t assented to, or for that matter, even expressed interest in visiting Nereus Aquillion, Nocturne knew her brother well enough to understand that he wished to go; if only for the same reason why he so obsessively yearned for knowledge, why he sought out every book in Mother’s possession until there wasn’t a single volume that was left unread.

So when Mother informed them that the two of them would be going to the Dungeon Town for their studies without mother, Nocturne didn’t have it in her to refuse. Not for the sake of her mother, who knew better than her and had clearly come to a decision. Not for the sake of her brother, who had already done so much and sacrificed so much for her. If Isadora had given them an option, Nocturne would have likely refused; for no amount of enchanting landscapes and novel sights could possibly compare to the bond she shared with her Mother.

But now that the option had been taken away from her…

Nocturne realized that she was actually looking forward to going to school. And that realization made her feel… guilty. All she had wanted was to escape the confines of her hospital room on her own two feet, to live her life free of pain, of the constant sensation of impending doom that had accompanied her condition. Who she wanted to be in the future? Where she wanted to live? What a happy life meant to her?

All those were questions Nocturne never got to ask herself.

Could she, too, dream of having friends? Could Nocturne Isadora-Braveheart find her calling in this world, freeing herself from the heavy burden she had closeted away in the depths of her heart, unbeknownst to even her mother? Was there a future for her in the Vortera Veilands, in Alecdoria?

Nocturne didn’t know.

And humans generally held a tendency to treat the unknown with fear and caution.

Not her, though.

What she feared was certainty. The cold certainty of doctors when they told her that her condition was beyond any treatment mankind had to offer her. The cruel certainty of a fate set in stone.

What others, perhaps, saw as uncertainty, Nocturne saw as threads of limitless possibilities, intertwining and intermingling into endless permutations and combinations that each led to unique destinations.

Only after spending eight years in Alecdoria, upon laying her eyes upon the beautiful, ethereal spread that Nereus Aquillion was and finally, after being granted freedom by her mother did Nocturne understand what it felt like to live life without being constrained by the foreknowledge of a pre-ordained end. She saw no insurmountable wall obstructing her path nor the whims of fate corrupting her ambitions and subduing her desires.

Before her lay infinity.

And she was captivated by it.


Altair Isadora-Braveheart found himself rather vexed.

They were about half-way through the descent, their only accompaniment the dull thuds of the trio’s footfall impacting against the stone steps. Nocturne was too focused on marshaling one step after the next, intent on not losing her balance, while Hilde dedicated her attention to them and prepared for the possibility of exactly that happening.

That had given Altair plenty of time to think. And think he did.

He noticed the distinct lack of flora around the Tier 4 Magic Circle guarding Nereus Aquillion from outside threats, nothing of note besides a field of rich, vivid tall grass that stretched outwards, melding with small, rolling hills in the distance. There could naturally be a plethora of complex magical theories involved behind this phenomenon, but in Altair’s eyes it made sense to root out any interferences or hindrances to the Dungeon Town’s line of sight; especially when an enemy ambush could employ arcane magics that were likely beyond his imagination.

Of course, that still remained mere speculation; an observation and hypothesis Altair had drawn up to distance himself from the tumultuous emotions cycling through his heart.

Some part of him was perhaps a little ashamed that he would allow himself such an emotional response at the mere thought of going to school, magical or not. He had a greater purpose that he had to accomplish, one that did not allow him to get fazed at the very first step of the process.

Yet, Altair knew better than to deny his own emotions.

Ryan Kimura had experienced this emotional response before. The first day of attending his medical school, a privilege only offered to him because his excellent performance in the entrance test granted him a full scholarship. Or to be more exact, it was the first day of actual classes, after the inauguration had concluded.

He had shambled into class with an awkward smile on his face, taking a seat somewhere in the middle row— neither too ostentatious nor inconspicuous. He had exchanged a hastily mumbled greeting with a girl that sported striking raven black hair.

The class had taken place and nothing out of the ordinary had happened. Yet Ryan Kimura’s brain had encoded those memories with great importance, allowing Altair to draw upon them.

A little excited, as he stepped into a new world where he could gain access to cutting edge medical equipment and tutelage from distinguished professors. More than a little nervous, as he found himself amongst the wealthy and the extremely wealthy, for most students in his class had been able to afford the astronomical tuition. Anxious, of the fact that he had little to his name. Anxious as he wondered if he would be able to keep up with his talented classmates, who had probably received access to a much more stable schooling system than he had.

But most of all?

Hopeful.

Ryan Kimura had genuinely believed that he could make a difference.

“How annoying,” Altair mumbled under his breath as the same emotions Ryan Kimura had felt over a decade ago washed over him. Excited, at the prospect of seeing what this new world had to offer. Nervous, at the thought of events derailing and Nocturne possibly coming to harm. Anxious, for he knew himself to not be strong enough to protect her. And… hopeful of the possibility, the dream of becoming a Mage.

And just like that, before Altair even knew it, they had arrived at the bottom of the hill.

11