15: residential district 2/2
163 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“We seek passage into Nereus Aquillion, under direct permission from the Town Overseer,” Hilde’s tone was soft and respectful as she bent her knees in a polite curtsy, her words allowing Altair to snap out of his reverie.

Altair was certain that the relief carved onto the doorway was layered in an illusion and now, he had clarified its nature a little more. It had surreptitiously drawn his attention, for that was the only explanation he could come up with for having missed the two Aura Masters towering before them. Considering that even he, an eight-year-old child who possessed no actionable magic had managed to break free from its influence he could tell that the intention of the artisan hadn’t been borne out of malice but that didn’t quite stem the mild annoyance he felt.

Though the thought that he could, perhaps, replicate that feat one day mollified the irritation he felt at his psyche being intruded upon.

He felt a light tap on his shoulder, prompting him to instinctively turn towards his left. Nocturne met his gaze, her tense expression conveying the unease she felt as her eyes flickered over to Hilde.

Altair couldn’t fault his sister for feeling intimidated, for in truth, he too had found himself a little shaken the moment his line of sight was confronted by the two guards. Clad in an unfamiliar armor style the likes of which Altair had never seen before, he couldn’t help but stare at them with wide-eyed curiosity as he took in its intricate design.

A fusion of enchanted metal and beast hide, the tenebrous armor seemed to naturally blend in with the long shadow cast by the doorway. The bespoke-fitting design was a sight to behold as the armor was perfectly adapted to the wearer’s dimensions. Dark, lustrous metal plates fit tightly into pockets of the obsidian black, scaly hide; two thick plates guarding the vitals in the chest and back regions while hexagonal plates stitched together in close proximity guarded regions that required a greater degree of flexibility, like the pelvic region. Metal bracers fit into a beast hide sleeve and similar protections were adopted for the shoulder, thigh and shin regions. A shadowy metal full-helm with a fogged purple crystal visor and sabatons that covered a metallic outline with beast hide concluded the impressive armor, but that was not all the surprises it had to offer.

A solitary incandescent arcane symbol had been inscribed into every metal plate, while a gemstone-shaped protrusion jutted out of the metal plate that guarded the chest; if Altair had to guess, he would bet that it was where the rune’s power-source was housed.

It didn’t take him long to catch on to Nocturne’s implication, though he found himself rather embarrassed at not having thought of it first.

Altair offered his sister a nod, before he moved to offer a curtsy in a mimicry of Hilde’s movements.

Before he could even manage to bend half way through though, a firm hand latched onto his shoulder, holding him in place.

Confused, Altair gazed upwards, only to see Hilde shaking her head; as if they were acting in breach of protocol.

Acquiescing to her silent instruction, Altair straightened his back.

“Acknowledged,” Two voices boomed out in unison, immediately drawing the twins' attention. Before either of them could even react, the Aura Masters adopted a two handed grip over the wickedly sharp, pointed halberds that seemed to be a matching pair.

Nocturne flinched while Altair found his muscles tensing up but… what happened in immediate succession was beyond either of their expectations.

The Aura Masters that clearly surpassed Hilde in combat ability and skill, individuals that Altair suspected were directly under the employ of the Five Elder Clans… knelt down on one knee, embedding the tip of their halberds in the soft earth beneath.

A rumbling sound echoed out, the earth beneath their feet trembling as a thin line appeared across the center of the doorway before it folded inwards, revealing the residential district of Nereus Aquillion.

Altair’s thoughts flashed rapidly as he tried to make sense of the situation. Healers were respected in Alecdorian society but they were also fairly compensated for their services— based on the knowledge he possessed, there was not the slightest indication that they were revered, not to the point where stronger Mages and Aura Masters would kneel before them.

In fact, it was Hilde that had come across as the respectful, if not reverent one. It was also Hilde that had stopped the twins from offering the town guards a curtsy. Altair had always suspected that Mother held considerable status, considering how meticulously their needs were met— how Hilde would personally travel outside Nereus Aquillion each time either Altair or Nocturne felt sick, how they were supplied with fresh, nutritious and lavish food every week without fail and how Mother never seemed worried about paying for any of it, but even then…

This was beyond his expectations.

‘How interesting,’ Altair thought to himself as the trio proceeded forward under Hilde’s lead, rather boldly walking in between the two kneeling Aura Masters that could dispatch them in the blink of an eye, if they had been inclined to.


Vorina Elewyn-Asher’s gaze shifted to the classroom door as Miss Prithiva walked over in response to the sharp knock.

Even Vorina had to admit that she was curious about the siblings. Perhaps a little anxious, as she found herself wondering if she would be able to accomplish the task her mother had set her out for. And perhaps slightly intimidated, for even a child in the Vortera Veilands would have heard a little of Clan Enferi’s prowess, let alone one as perceptive as Vorina.

And then Miss Prithiva gently swung open the door, before Vorina could fully compose her thoughts.

White hair that was as purer than winter’s first snowflake, untainted by the corruption of the world. A small smile resting on his visage, exuding a genial warmth and approachability. A clean, well-washed face, neat, unwrinkled clothes painted in colorful sunflower yellow and sky blue. But what stood out most to Vorina was those silver eyes, silver eyes that sparkled with a self-assured confidence and wisdom.

Eyes that were capable of gazing upon the world with suspicion as they scanned the room.

Vorina knew…

For those eyes, that gaze was akin to hers.

She had a feeling that class was about to get far more interesting.

10