Chapter 2
106 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The gentle spring rain gracefully descended upon Qing Mao Mountain in the late hours of the night, accompanied by a subtle and refreshing breeze. The darkness was not all-encompassing; instead, dozens of tiny lights shimmered like a luminous band, casting their glow from the side of the mountain down to its foot. These radiant lights emanated from towering buildings, lanterns adorning shopfronts, and the gentle glow of street lamps. Nestled at the base of Qing Mao Mountain, Gu Yue Village brought a touch of human civilization to the vast and solitary landscape.

At the heart of Gu Yue Village stood a magnificent pavilion, where a grand ceremony was about to take place. The lights shone with an intensity that seemed to surpass their usual brilliance, exuding an aura of splendor and grandeur.

Clad in ceremonial white robes, the revered head of the Gu Yue clan knelt on the polished brownish-yellow floor, his sideburns touched with gray, bearing witness to the passage of time. With hands clasped together and eyes closed in reverence, he offered his heartfelt prayers to the ancestors, beseeching their blessings. His words echoed through the hallowed space: "Ancestors, shower us with your divine favor! May this sacred ceremony bring forth an abundance of gifted and talented young men to grace our families!"

Behind the clan head, a group of over ten individuals, all dressed in flowing white ceremonial garments, knelt in solemn unity. They too directed their prayers and respects towards a tall black case housing memorial tablets of the ancestors. Copper incense burned on both sides, releasing its fragrant tendrils into the air, filling the chamber with an aura of reverence and solemnity.

The head of the Gu Yue clan bowed low, touching his forehead to the floor in a sequence of three distinct thuds. The others followed suit, their movements synchronized and reverent. A solemn silence permeated the sacred temple as they paid homage to their lineage. Once the ritual was complete, they rose slowly, the weight of their obligations temporarily lifted. Within the tranquil corridors adjacent to the sacred temple, sighs of relief cascaded like whispers, gently dispersing the weight of solemnity that hung in the air. Conversations, like tendrils of sound, intertwined and filled the void.

"How swiftly the sands of time slip through our grasp! It feels as though the previous ceremony unfolded but yesterday—I can summon its memory with vivid clarity."

"Tomorrow heralds the advent of our esteemed annual grand ceremony. I wonder which exceptional individuals shall grace us with their presence this time?"

"Ah, let us beseech the fates for the emergence of gifted youths in our midst. It has been a protracted span of three decades since our illustrious Gu Yue clan last witnessed the ascent of a bona fide genius."

Amidst the fervor of discussion, a name reverberated through the halls, causing the buoyant atmosphere to momentarily quell. Bai Ning Bing—a name that carried the weight of both admiration and trepidation. He hailed from an adversary clan, possessing an extraordinary talent that propelled him to attain the exalted status of a third-rank Gu Master within a mere two years of cultivation. His prowess surpassed even the seasoned elders of his lineage, and it was widely foreseen that he would soon forge his path as an indomitable warrior or a stalwart pillar of the Bai Clan—there lingered no doubt about his inevitable achievements.

Yet, amid the buzzing anticipation, someone else interjected, their voice hushed but filled with hope. "Not all hope is lost for this year's youth participants either!"

"You speak the truth. Fang Zhi's lineage has produced a young prodigy this time," one elder remarked.

"Yes, indeed! This child possessed the ability to speak after a mere three months, to walk after four. At the tender age of five, he was reciting poetry—a truly exceptional intellect and talent! It is unfortunate that his parents passed away prematurely, leaving him to be raised by his uncle and aunt."

Stepping out of the ancestral temple, the Gu Yue clan head overheard the elders discussing the exceptional qualities of this young prodigy named Gu Yue Fang Yuan. Already, at such a tender age, Fang Yuan had displayed remarkable intelligence. The clan head understood that individuals blessed with photographic memory or strength beyond their age often possessed tremendous potential for cultivation—perhaps this child was of A grade caliber. A warm smile curled upon the clan head's lips as he cleared his throat, capturing the attention of the elders. "Dear elders, it is late now. Rest well tonight so that you may have ample energy for tomorrow's opening ceremony."

With a commanding tone, he cautioned against the use of deceit or conspiracies during the upcoming competition, emphasizing the importance of unity within the clan. The elders nodded in solemn agreement, their minds filled with contemplation, particularly regarding the immense potential of Fang Yuan, one of only two remaining descendants of his bloodline. Should someone secure his allegiance and bring him into their family, they would ensure a century of prosperity through proper care and training.

As the spring rain whispered its melodies outside, the clan head strolled lightly towards the window. Drawing in a deep breath of the invigorating mountain air, he marveled at its refreshing quality. From the vantage point of the third-floor garret, he beheld a captivating sight—a panorama that encompassed half of Gu Yue Village. Even at this late hour, most homes remained illuminated, their lights shining brightly—an unusual occurrence for this time of day.

Tomorrow would mark the beginning of the awakening ceremony, an event that held sway over the interests and aspirations of all. An air of excited anticipation blended within the undercurrent of tension, making it difficult for many to find restful sleep. Contemplating the significance of the ceremony, the clan head whispered to himself, "This is our hope for a better future."

Meanwhile, in the quiet solitude of his room, Fang Yuan stood by the window, his gaze as frigid and abyssal as the nocturnal sky. The gentle rain cascaded upon him, delicately caressing his outstretched sleeves. His mind wandered back to the cataclysmic clash that unfolded within the heavenly court—an intricate battle orchestrated by the Primordial Origin Immortal Venerable to ensnare him. The Star Constellation Venerable had sought to suppress his Spring Autumn Cicada, but Fang Yuan's timely improvement to the ninth rank allowed him to slip away. The adversaries had meticulously prepared for this encounter—the Giant Sun Venerable had manipulated his fortune, leaving him bereft of any escape route, while the Spectral Demon Venerable relentlessly tore apart his soul. Fang Yuan had underestimated the perils posed by the Sovereign Immortal Aperture, the true magnitude of their conspiracy gradually unveiling itself. In his activation of the Spring and Autumn Cicada, he had invoked the Heaven Concealment Gu, veiling his rebirth from the prying eyes of the heaven—a clandestine feat known solely to him within the vast expanse of the Gu world.

However, Fang Yuan consciously set aside these tumultuous thoughts, realizing that the upcoming Awakening Ceremony awaited him on the morrow. As a mortal without the benefit of an Awakened Aperture, he recognized the futility of ruminating on enemies who currently surpassed his level of cultivation and expertise. The clash within the heavenly court had tested his mettle and revealed the gaps in his abilities, but now he needed to shift his focus towards the present, where his mortal self held sway.

In that moment, the door to his room creaked open, revealing a young teenager who entered with cautious steps. It was Fang Zheng, his younger twin brother, bearing a resemblance to Fang Yuan and standing slightly shorter. Fang Yuan's expression remained impassive as he regarded his sibling.

"Brother, why are you standing in the rain ?" Fang Zheng questioned, his voice gentle with concern.

Fang Yuan turned his gaze towards his brother, his cold eyes piercing into Fang Zheng's being. He uttered a few words, devoid of warmth, "Oh, my dear little brother."

Fang Zheng, accustomed to his brother's stoic demeanor, lowered his head and shifted uncomfortably, adopting his usual submissive stance.

"Brother," Fang Zheng murmured softly, breaking the stillness of the room. "I noticed your window was open, so I came to close it. It's late, and tomorrow is the Awakening Ceremony. If Uncle and Aunt found out, they would worry.

Fang Zheng was no stranger to his brother's cold demeanor; it had been a constant in their relationship since their early childhood. With a fleeting glance from Fang Yuan, he simply replied, "You may leave."

Fang Zheng's heart trembled at the icy response, well-acquainted with his brother's distant nature. Since childhood, Fang Yuan had always exuded an air of aloofness. A brief, apprehensive glance at Fang Yuan was enough to stifle Fang Zheng's words, as his brother's penetrating gaze seemed to unravel the depths of his very being. In the presence of that gaze, Fang Zheng felt utterly vulnerable, as if all his innermost secrets had been laid bare, leaving him exposed like a naked soul in the midst of a wintry, snow-covered landscape.

"Then, I'll see you tomorrow," Fang Zheng managed to utter, his voice tinged with apprehension. Without daring to say anything more, he slowly closed the door behind him and departed, leaving Fang Yuan to his solitude. The rain continued to fall, its pitter-patter sound creating a somber backdrop to Fang Yuan's contemplation.

As the night deepened, the village sank into slumber, unaware of the intricate web of destiny weaving its threads in the shadows. The awakening ceremony awaited the dawn, a momentous event that would shape the lives of those involved and set the stage for the future.

4