My New Boss Chapter Eighteen
212 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sparky, my Holo Assistant, a luminescent blue silhouette, broke the silence with its chirpy alert. "Incoming call, Silly, incoming call!"

 

With a flick of my wrist, the holo-phone call was activated. Taylor's voice edged with urgency, filling the air. "Rin! Where are you? What  happened down there? What were those giant robots that flew out from the underground lab?"

 

I paused, the enormity of the recent events still sinking in. "That was me and the patients... I mean test subjects," I began, trying to find the right words. "Those colossal machines were VARUs, Valkyrie Assault and Reconnaissance Units."

 

Saylor, ever the inquisitive one, cut in. "What about the child?"

 

Explaining the child's situation felt like navigating a labyrinth. "That's... complicated, but I have the child," I replied, the simplicity of my words belying the complexity of what had transpired.

 

Saylor relayed their next move. "We're on our way to you. Mrs. Momota seems to know where you are."

 

"The sick lab personnel are safe now, in a secure medical center. Director Vance is handling the lab," she added, painting a picture of control amidst chaos.

 

"What about Director Helms and his men?" I asked, concern lacing my voice.

 

"They escaped through a secondary entrance, off the maps," Taylor informed.

 

A sense of unease washed over me. "Be careful. There was another colossal machine. It appeared right before our escape," I cautioned.

 

Saylor's voice turned grave. "We saw it too. It's gone for now, but there's more to discuss when we meet."

 

"Half an hour," Taylor said, ending the call.

 

As the call ended, Evie and the others arrived. Each donned a sleek, color-coded jumpsuit matching their VARU unit: Violet in pink 01, Evie in purple 02, Aubriana in yellow 03, and Annabelle in green 04. The suits, skintight and flattering, accentuated their curvaceous forms, a stark contrast to the rugged VARUs we had piloted. I was awe-struck at how the skintight suits adhered to their every curvy. It brought out and emphasized their voluptuous busts and round, bountiful bottoms.

 

The juxtaposition of their delicate Junoesque figures against the backdrop of mechanical might was striking. It was a reminder of the extraordinary circumstances we found ourselves in – a blend of human vulnerability and technological power.

 

Awaiting Saylor and Taylor's arrival, I pondered our next steps. The mystery of the child and the looming threat of the unidentified colossal machine loomed over us. The world was changing rapidly, and we were at the epicenter of that change. The responsibility weighed heavily, but with the support of my team, I felt a burgeoning sense of determination.

 

We were no longer just individuals; we were a unit bound by a shared experience that transcended the ordinary. As pilots of the VARUs, we had become custodians of a power that could shape the future.

 

The half-hour wait felt like an eternity, each passing moment filled with anticipation and apprehension. The arrival of Saylor and Taylor would not just be a reunion but the beginning of a new chapter in our extraordinary journey.

 

                                                                                                                     ____

Inside the facility, the air was charged with a sense of urgency. We gathered in a large briefing room, the walls lined with screens displaying data and images. Director Vance took the lead, outlining the situation at hand. The world was on the brink of a technological revolution, and the events at the underground lab were just the tip of the iceberg.

 

The meeting evolved into a strategy session, with Mrs. Momota and Mr. Schafer contributing insights from their respective fields. Each of them, a master in their own domain, wove their expertise into the conversation. The discussion touched on the implications of the technology we had encountered, the political and corporate intrigue surrounding it, and the potential threats from entities like Director Helms, a now-ousted employee of Horizon Industries.

 

I listened intently, absorbing every detail. Doctor Blair explained the child's role, the purpose of the VARUs, and the significance of the Psyhper fluid were all pieces of a broader puzzle. It became clear that our actions would not just shape the future of Horizon Industries but could alter the course of global events.

 

As the meeting concluded, a plan of action was formed. We were to be at the forefront of exploring and harnessing this new technology, balancing the fine line between advancement and ethical responsibility. The child, now a part of me, was central to this plan, a living key to unlocking possibilities we had yet to fully comprehend.

 

Stepping out of the briefing room, I felt a weight of destiny on my shoulders. The challenges ahead were immense, but so were the opportunities. I was no longer just a pilot or an employee; I was a pioneer on the frontier of a new world.

 

Leaving the briefing room,, the weight of our mission was noticeable. Mrs. Momota approached me, her gaze intense yet thoughtful. "Rin, the path ahead is uncharted, but your connection with the child... it's pivotal."

 

Director Vance, joining us, added with a stern tone, "We're stepping into a new world, Rin. Your experiences with the VARUs and the Psyhper fluid are invaluable. We'll get this facility staffed within the week."

 

I nodded, feeling the gravity of his words. "I understand. It's more than just technology; it's about finding a balance."

 

Mrs. Momota encouraged rest, acknowledging our efforts. "For now, get some rest. You and your team earned it," she said gently.

 

"I'm ready to move forward," I replied, determined.

 

Mr. Schafer, casually leaning against the doorway, reminded me, "Rin, the world's eyes are on us. We must set the standard."

 

Director Vance agreed, emphasizing Schafer's role. "His experience is vital for you," he noted.

 

Doctor Blair, ever calm, highlighted the uniqueness of my situation. "Your integration with the child is unprecedented, unlike anything even our test pilots have experienced."

 

Confused, I asked, "So, the child wasn't the first?"

 

Doctor Morishita joined the conversation. "No, each of our pilots is bonded with a child. Only those with high mana and a child can pilot the VARUs. Without those three criteria, it's impossible."

 

Miss Soliz, puzzled, inquired, "What's high mana?"

 

"It signifies witches. At least that is what we have learned," Doctor Morishita elaborated. "Our Occult researchers understand it better."

 

Miss Augustine and Miss Colton expressed disbelief. "I can't believe those things exist," Miss Augustine said. "Me either, this is unreal," added Miss Colton.

 

Doctor Blair hinted at a broader potential. "All of you might possess such potential," he suggested.

 

Puzzled, I asked, "What do you mean?"

 

Doctor Morishita revealed, "Before you arrived at the lab. We detected a spike in child activity. It suggests more children have appeared or been born. Creating a child's spirit isn't an exact science. They are, as the name spirit implies, ghosts. More precisely, ancient ghosts."

 

Doctor Blair added, "Director Eto left traits indicating compatibility with a child."

 

"We passed that information to Director Momota," Doctor Morishita said.

 

"Why 'child' or 'children'?" Miss Soliz inquired.

 

"It's a term for the spirits' intelligence," Doctor Blair clarified.

 

While walking through the corridors of the base, the hum of machinery and the soft glow of lights filled the space. I could feel the child's presence within me, a silent companion on this journey.

 

"We'll need to train, to understand the full capabilities of the VARUs," I said, looking towards the others. "And we must uncover the full extent of Helms's plans."

 

"Agreed," Taylor affirmed. "We're in this together."

 

Saylor, her expression determined, added, "This is just the beginning. We have a chance to change the course of history."

 

"Indeed we do. Mr. Nishimoto, we have a lot to do. However, our first priority is to locate Director Eto as soon as possible," Mrs. Momota said. "We will concentrate our efforts towards finding his whereabouts while we continue our search, Mr. Nishimoto," Mrs. Momota stated in a helpful tone, eager to assist in any way possible.

 

Following the team's dispersal to their respective tasks, I stood for a moment, absorbing the enormity of our situation. The future was uncertain, but one thing was clear: we were at the precipice of a new era, and our actions would shape its course.

4