The Virgin’s Fated – Chapter Thirteen
229 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wake up on the royal blue carpet with Eulalia and Leonita lying beside me. They slowly came two as they had a look of confusion on their faces. The two male soldiers lay beside each of them and were also beginning to go. They looked at my handmaiden’s, then at me, and turned a bright red.

 

“Forgive us, my Queen. We did not mean to…” one guard with gray hair said. He looked in his earlier forties but was fit for his age.

 

“My Queen?” Eulalia said in a worried tone.

 

“It’s fine, everyone… Don’t be so uptight. Nothing happened other than the supernatural, something I cannot explain. You know, your everyday occurrence in a fairytale castle. No big deal, right?” I said, trying to shrug off what just occurred.

 

“My Queen, please forgive us. We have defied your handmaidens!” a younger soldier with brunette hair said.

 

“Nope… Nope… No, you didn’t. I did not hear that, and I do not believe that!”

 

I sat up with Eulalia and Leonita. The two male soldiers stood at attention.

 

“Well, don’t just stand there. Help us up, please,” I asked, smiling best.

 

“Yes. My Queen. We will assist you at once!” the older soldier said in a firm voice.

 

They both assisted me both without trying to touch my body. Their attempt was awkward at best, but they managed. They were more graceful in helping Eulalia and Leonita.

 

“What are your names, if I may ask?” I said, looking at them.

 

The older one stood at attention and saluted me.

 

“I am Sergeant at Arms Diethard Roninheart!” the gray-haired man said.

 

The younger one stood at attention and saluted me as well.

 

“I am Sergeant Gottwald Von Haines!”

 

“Well, Diethard and Gottwald. It will please me greatly if you keep this between us,” I said, holding my arms to the side.

 

The two soldiers bowed to me. 

 

“As you wish, my Queen,” they replied as one.

Both appeared in top physical shape. The soldier’s physique shone through their impressive armor.

 

“Come on, you don’t have to be so formal,” I spouted out as I put my hands on my hips.

 

“My Queen, they must follow decorum. They have to address you with the utmost respect!” Leonita said.

 

“My Queen, there is no doubt that you and your sisters are indeed our beloved Fated Queens. We shall defend the hallways of this mighty castle with our lives!” Diethard said proudly.

 

“I-I am sure you will. Now, we should go on our way. If you feel inclined to do so. The two of you could protect us on our castle exploration,” I said.

 

“My Queen, is that wise with, um... your uniqueness?” Eulalia questioned.

 

“Well, I don’t want them to feel they did something wrong. But, I am sure none of us could have helped stop what happened even if we wanted to.”

 

“My Queen, if your aura had such a profound effect on us mere lowly soldiers. It will surely affect others. I fear those who seek influence can taste your immense power just by being in your presence. It leaks off you, and it is irresistible. Even with our magic-infused armor, we succumb to you,” Diethard explained.

 

“Yes, you are everything we expected you to be. We will inform the General at Arms that our armor needs to be fortified in your presence, my Queen,” Gottwald said.

 

“Hold on, I told you to keep this between us!” I said as I cradled my arms.

 

“Do not worry. Our warriors would never defy a command from you, my Queen,” Leonita said as she clasped my arm.

 

“Leonita is right. The soldiers of Sidra’s castle guards are among the finest and most honorable. Your secret is safe with them,” Eulalia said as she grasped my other arm.

 

“If you phrase it that way. Conceivably, should I add to my personal details at all times?” I questioned.

 

The two men kneel and bow their heads before me.

 

“Only lieutenants and above have the grace to guard our Queen,” Gottwald said with his head down.

 

“Under those circumstances, I’ll merely pronounce you both my Captains at Arms…,” I said.

With my handmaidens in my arms, I walked in front of them. I seized their hands in mine and placed our hands on each side of their shoulders.

 

“Now, rise, my faithful guardians. As Captains at Arms,” I said, looking down at them.

 

They looked at each other, confused.

 

“I beg your pardon and implore you, my Queen. Only the General at Arms can assign a rank of the caliber,” Diethard replied.

 

“Who are you going to listen to? The General at Arms or your Queen?” I said, smiling.

 

“Y-yes… Very well, my Queen,” the two said simultaneously.

 

“How will the General at Arms know of their promotion?” Eulalia questioned.

 

I looked at Eulalia and somehow identified how I would fortify their promotion.

 

“Diethard, Gottwald. Please rise,” I said in the unfamiliar voice again.

 

The feeling surged back into my womb as they stood mere inches from me. Eulalia and Leonita instinctively released my arms. I took Diethard’s cheeks in my hands and gently kissed him. The torrent of power flowed into him, and I could feel his strength grow with every second. When I pulled back, a bright green flame burned in his eyes.

 

“My Captain!” I whispered as his eyes locked with mine.

 

“Yes... Your Highness. I am your captain!” he whispered back.

____

My handmaidens continued on our explorations with our new company, Diethard and Gottwald. I felt better walking through this Castle with a bit of protection. Finally, our party came to a single red door leading to the outside. Diethard opened and held the door open. The rest of us walked out into what had to be the most impressive sight I had seen since arriving in this world. Before me, the picture I saw prompted me to gasp. I gawked at the illustrious and gorgeous greenhouse in front of me. It was of massive proportions I could only imagine in my dreams. It was so immense that birds flew around in the rafters of the glass roof high above our heads. The incredible structure wrapped around the entire tower of the Queen’s Keep. We stood on a three-way cobblestone pathway. The central path led deeper into the greenhouse.

 

There were a multitude of different and unfamiliar species of plants inside it. Some were so exotic they had to come from another world. Dozens of trees grew tall as if in the wild inside this magnificent garden of green. I could spot various species I knew from my world at first glance. Yet, others seem to come from the Jurassic age or older. The castle gardeners lined the paved cobblestone walkways with spectacular marble cover stones. Everywhere I looked was a scene from a fantasy movie.

 

There were even marvelous water fountains here and there. The sounds of running water and chirping birds filled the air. They even wasted no expense on the marble stone benches and tables. The whole place gave off the most relaxing vibe. I took Eulalia and Leonita’s hands and brought them to a marble stone bench in front of a large water fountain. Diethard and Gottwald took up their post on either side of the bench with their hands on their swords. A giant bear stood on two legs against what I could barely imagine was a gigantic wolf. The detail of both animals astonished me.

 

“Isn’t this beautiful?” I said as I smiled.

 

“It is my Queen. I spend a good portion of my time here with Eulalia,” Leonita said as she watched the birds dip in and out of the water.

 

White swans and ducks mingled in the respective groups as they swam around the large water fountain. It resembles a large pond more than a fountain. Waterfalls on all four sides poured into broad canals leading down the cent of the pathways to parts of the greenhouse I could not see. The new place felt like a massive zoo, but inside. The pleasant smell of all the different flowers filled me with joy. Sunlight from above sent rays of light through the diverse species of towering trees.

 

“I could sit here forever!” I said as Eulalia and Leonita smiled in unison.

 

“We could stay here with you forever too!” Leonita said.

 

“My Queen! On the morrow, we can show you around the orchards. They are on the opposite side of the Queen’s from where we are now,” Eulalia suggested with a smile.

 

“I would like that very much.”

 

I stood up with my handmaidens. Before returning to my quarters, we had to see as much of the Castle as possible. I need a good rest before dinner tonight.

 

The five of us walked down a long path that felt like we were in a jungle to a door. A beautiful and masterfully crafted arched glass door leads to the courtyard. Outside was a picture-perfect view. Lush and perfectly manicured green bushes and flowers line the walkway. It was a breathtaking sight. The shadow of the Queen’s Keep reminded me of where I was. For the first time, I got a good look at it. It reached higher than the rest of the massive Castle. In the distance, I saw an identical tower.

 

“How many keeps are there?” I asked as I peered at the distant tower.

 

“Five, my Queen. One at each corner of the Castle, with the principal tower in the middle. Out of the five, it’s the largest and tallest. They say it reaches to the heavens, my Queen,” Eulalia explained.

 

“Oh, my… A tower taller than the one I found myself in?”

 

“Yes, your quarters are on the far side overlooking the city,” Leonita said.

 

“Wait, hold on a minute. My quarters are not in the other hallway! How can I have a view of the city?” I said, confused.

 

“You understand now, my Queen,” Leonita said.

 

“But-But… How?” I blurted as we walked down the cobblestone path.

 

“That is because all the rooms in the Queen’s Keep have a view. They are magic windows that lead to the city outside. The position of each room is different, and the builders have physically placed them there in various locations. So every night at midnight, your room‘s position will change. But only from the outside. Internally, it will be in the same spot,” Leonita explained.

 

“Additionally, my Queen. Those observing you from the outside would never know of your precise locations. The castle wizards can also move your room if you desire it,” Eulalia said with a smile.

 

“Wow, amazing. I did not think such a feat was possible.”

 

“My Queen, if I may. When the combat or raid floors are active. The stairwell will become distorted to outsiders. They will constantly move and exit to random parts of the Castle. Intruders will become confused, allowing our defenses to slay or capture them. Each zone of the Castle will rearrange itself every hour and trap intruders. As you would expect, my Queen. We will take you and your counterparts to the most secure place in the Castle. The throne room,” Diethard explained from behind.

 

“Well, that is reassuring, if not confusing,” I said as we continued.

 

I sighed and looked out into the garden. The garden was enormous against the inner space between the Queen's Keep and the rest of the castle. From the uppermost floor, I still needed to see the massive glass structure covering the garden and greenhouse. There were dozens of smaller buildings and large cottages inside. They looked more like manor houses than cottages, but they resembled the latter. ‘Is it a mixture of the two?’ The inside was big enough for several small lakes and several ponds. It was like a small city district inside.

 

We followed the path, and as I observed the surrounding area, I noticed a leak of other people. A place as gorgeous as the greenhouse and garden should be more lively than this. Even with everyone being on high alert. Undoubtedly, there are people around here somewhere, right?

 

"Where is everyone?" I asked as we walked through the numerous cottages.

 

"Only the servants of the Queens have permission inside the virgin sanctuary. And those of the administrators," Leontia explained.

 

"Administrators?" I asked curiously.

 

"The Regency, Viceroy, and Chancellor. They serve as the mentors and consuls to their respective Queen," Eulalia whispered.

 

"You mean Lady Constance and her sisters?" I questioned as we approached a gigantic wall with a massive-looking metal barred arched gate.

 

"You are correct, my Queen," Eulalia said as she squeezed my arm.

 

"Well, who takes care of this place?" I questioned again.

 

"You, now that you are here. You can assign Anyone you wish to live here. Whoever you choose, the kingdom of Sidra will grant them and their families permission to live inside these walls," Leontia said.

 

"I guess I better hire people immediately," I said as we approached the large metal barred arched gate. 

 

The arched gate was flanked by two more soldiers in attention. Long pikes were in the hands of the two men. Behind each of them was an armored door. As opposed to an entryway, it looked more like a heavily armored barred door. The gate resembled the security gate you would see in a maximum-security prison, except for the size.

 

"What is this gate for?" I asked as Diethard and Gottwald approached each of the soldiers.

 

"It's the south entry into the sanctuary. In case of an attack, our knights gather in this area to defend the Fate Queens. There are only two entrances. This gate and the north gate," Leontia said.

 

"No one has ever breached the castle walls before. There have been many attempts, but none have made it as far as the Virgin's Sanctuary," Eulalia said.

 

"That's pleasant to know," I said as I nodded.

 

The two soldiers, Diethard and Gottwald, approached, saluted them, and went into doors behind them. A moment later, loud metal clunking and chains moving against metal reverberated through the area. Once fully open, our escorts guided us through the arched gateway.

1