Chapter 13.2: Making a good deal
54 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun was on the way down, but only just barely when the trio stepped out into the road. If forced to guess, Brett would have said there were still several hours to sundown, but he still wasn't sure how time worked here. The stream of people walking past hadn't slowed one bit since this morning. It was just as busy as the few times Brett had to go into Dallas.

They stepped out into the bustling flow of the street, and Ravenous had to indicate directions to him by tapping and pointing. He appreciated the gesture, given that the alternative was her having to yell in his ear over the noise of the bustling city. Alan moved like a snake beside him, smoothly flowing between and around other people like they weren't even there.

Brett was a pretty large guy, but he didn't want to try pushing his way through the crowd. Judging by the average level of the mid twenties he saw floating around, it likely wouldn't have worked anyway. Eventually, a few blocks later, they cut over to a storefront. 

A little bell jingled as they closed the shop door behind them. Despite the light door, the city noise abruptly went from deafening to a dull, barely noticeable buzz. The bunny-eared clerk behind the desk looked up and met Brett's eyes. Ravenous spoke up first. "We would like to see Mr. Matins, please. We're old friends."

The clerk swallowed, nodded, and disappeared into the backroom. A few seconds later, she returned and motioned for the three of them to follow her. She led them up a flight of stairs into a cozy office, ushering them inside without following.

The office was dominated by a large, dark wood desk; behind the desk was a familiar rotund catlike merchant. Brett recognized him as the one that was leading the caravan. Upon seeing the group enter, the cat man's face broke into a wide grin. 

"Welcome, my friends! Where are Irene and Bernard? I didn't get to say goodbye after we got inside of the walls. Too busy with the inspectors." Mr. Matins said while leaning forward with a surprisingly deep and rumbling voice.

"Oh, I'm sure they are in the library. We left a day early to show our new friend a couple things." Ravenous said while gesturing at Brett. 

"Oh my, I'm so sorry, where are my manners?" Mr. Matins shook his head in a self-deprecating manner. "I'm Sully Matins, merchant and facilitator, but please call me Sully."

Brett nodded and grasped the cat's proffered hand. "Brett Cooper, it's a pleasure."

"Brett's actually why we are visiting today. He is relatively new and I figured we might be able to help make a connection. Brett has proven to be quite driven, and he comes from a higher tech world." Ravenous explained.

"I never hesitate to meet someone from the other side." Sully said with a grin, giving Brett a closer look. "Would you mind telling me a bit more about your side?"

"Uhh, sure?" Brett was a bit confused but didn't have any reason to not share. 

"Ah, I see that you aren't familiar with my business. There are many things that simply don't work on this side. Things that can't be built here, or things that we just don't know about yet." Sully leaned back in his chair and ran the back of his paw-hand thing over a pointed ear. "My business is connecting clients' requests with people who have useful othersides. If your world has something that's hard to acquire here, I can let you know and can compensate you if you bring it over when you next visit."

"It's a good way to make a nice payday without too much effort," Ravenous explained. "But its real benefit is the connections that you can make along the way. Also, Sully gives a good discount on other goods to his friends." 

Sully nodded. "I can help you find most things at cost. Saves a bit on the mark ups, but mostly it's just the convenience that most of my friends enjoy. And Ravenous is quite a good friend."

"My world has some treats that we can't make here easily. I always bring him a bag on my trips." Ravenous whispered slyly.

Brett just shrugged. "Sure, I don't mind sharing. What do you want to know about my world?"

With a grin hinting at a few pointed teeth, Sully started questioning. "Does your side have Walmart?"

Walmart again? Why?

Base Wisdom increased. 12 -> 13.

*** 

Brett left Sully's with two changes of nice-ish clothes and a set of leather armor. After everything, he was 10 coins lighter. According to Ravenous, that wasn't too steep of a price, but he would have to take her word for it. He really had no other frame of reference. 

The talks had gone on for a little while, but there was still some time in the afternoon. No one was really picking a direction, and before he knew it, Brett found himself walking down a more empty street with huge temples along each side. They were in as many styles as there were buildings. One looked Greek with fluted pillars. Another looked to a gothic cathedral, but without the familiar cross on it. Instead, it was an odd looping symbol that Brett was sure he had never seen before. 

At the end of the row, there were a few temples that were almost twice the size of the ones at the mouth. The last one looked a little like the empire state building.

"Where are we?" Brett asked in a half-whisper. He hadn't really meant to say it out loud, so he was slightly startled when Alan responded.

"This is the temple district." 

That Alan had answered rather than Ravenous got his attention. Looking around, Brett saw Ravenous, still on his shoulder, looking off into the distance. 

Alan continued. "Ravenous is a bit weird when it comes to the gods, but-" 

He didn’t finish his sentence before voices started speaking in Brett's head.

"Hello my child." 

"Who do you serve?"

"Where do you hail from?"

"KNEEL BEFORE YOU-"

At first, he thought he was going insane, but the voices continued. Brett grabbed his head, the pain driving him down. The voices continued increasing in number and volume without an apparent end. What the FUCK is going on? Suddenly every single one of them fell silent.

"Hello earthling."

7