Chapter 16.2: Bureaucracy Makes Me Want to Kill Things
42 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Brett got lost in his thoughts as they walked down the road for a little while. Eventually, Ravenous asked to see the dungeon report. “What are you feeling?”

Rubbing his chin, Brett considered what kind of mood he was in. “Uh, I don’t really want to have to think much. Something straightforward maybe? The archives kind of burned me out.”

Alan gave a rare smile. “I feel that. Nothing like a wave dungeon to work out some frustrations.”

“I like a puzzle dungeon to take my mind off things, personally.” Ravenous said with a suspiciously straight face. 

Alan snorted. “No one likes puzzle dungeons.”

“You got me,” She said, rolling her eyes. “Seriously though, they suck. Only crazy people like them.”

“And Irene.” Alan added.

“Yeah, crazy people.” Ravenous clarified. Flipping the guide stopped on a page. “Turn a little left here. There is a nice level 3 wave dungeon not too far from here.”

“You think I’m ready for level 3?” Brett asked, dubiously. “I barely finished level 2. I know you said survival dungeons are harder, but really?”

“Survival dungeons add 3 to 5 levels, but yeah. Abdiel’s Last Stand sounds like a good choice.” Ravenous said.

“Sure, okay.” Brett said, thinking. I guess that makes sense. I need as much power as I can get, so I don’t think I can turn away too many opportunities, if any. “Okay, what can you tell me about the place?”

 “The book says it’s got kobolds for the first several waves, then lizardmen. Not too many at once, with an escape at your back where you can bail at any time.” Ravenous said. “Seems like a good place to grind up some combat skills. I would be surprised if people haven’t been grinding it.”

“I bet they won't, the rewards are awful.” Alan said, peering at the book over Brett’s shoulder. “Newbies always overestimate money and rewards. The stuff you get now won’t last more than a few levels. Don’t get attached to anything.”

“Noted,” Brett said. They continued walking, chatting idly. Alan seemed to enjoy ragging on new adventurers and was a bit more talkative than his usual stoic self. It wasn’t too long before they all stood before a portal opening. 

Ravenous hopped off Brett’s shoulder to the ground next to Alan. “Well good luck. We’ll be waiting.”

Brett nodded. “Wait, I forgot to get weapons!”

I’m a fucking idiot. Brett patted his waist, finding only his gun and the dagger Alan had given him. I don’t really want to only have a dagger again. 

“You’ll be fine. They’ll only be around level 3 at the start.” Ravenous said.

“I’m not even level 1!” Brett said, feeling like he was repeating himself. Seeing the unworried looks the two of them were giving him, he tossed his hands in the air. “Whatever… I swear…”

Turning, Brett ducked into the dungeon, drawing the dagger. I can probably do this.

Welcome to Abdiel’s Last Stand, a level 3 dungeon. Objective: withstand as many waves as you can.

Nothing new, at least. Brett thought, a surprising amount of nerves making his hand shake slightly. C’mon, you can fight, and there’s a way out right there, Brett told himself, trying to calm down.

Dismissing the notification, he took in the surroundings. He was in the middle of a rough ring of rugged rocks, the portal shimmering behind him. In the corner of his vision floated a small number one where the timer had been in the other dungeons. 

Taking a step forward, Brett rolled the hilt of the dagger in his hand, trying to get more comfortable with it. Licking his lips, he was glad that he didn’t have to wait long, at least. Three kobolds emerged through gaps in the rocks. They were a little smaller than the goblins, if anything. Barely more than three feet tall, they had lizard heads and were covered with what looked like soft scales that flexed as they moved. 

As they approached, Brett checked behind him. There were no others, just the three. They held no weapons beyond the claws that tipped each finger. The rightmost one let out a hiss with a forked tongue as it grew near. Brett’s grip on the knife settled, and he bent his knees slightly into a ready stance. 

Expecting all the little beasts to jump at one, Brett waited until their feet left the ground and then uncoiled. Launching himself forward, he collided knife-first with the center monster before the ones from the side could close the gap. 

Ripping the dagger out of the first one’s chest, he half-turned and kicked out behind him with one foot as he slashed the dagger to the other side. Brett felt the thud as his boot connected. The one in front danced backward as the dagger got close to it. Moving to the side so he could view both of his opponents, Brett saw that his boot certainly connected with the first kobold. One of its arms was now held tightly against its body. But that didn’t slow it down. Just like all the other dungeon monsters, it didn’t appear to feel fear or pain much.

After the first quick encounter, Brett felt his mind clear, and all his doubts faded into the background. This just felt right. With a roar, he charged forward, towering over his two opponents. These wouldn’t be much of a challenge, but the later ones would be. Brett couldn’t wait.

8