Chapter 19
198 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In this world, there exists a thing called Sigil.

To make the long explanation short, Sigil is basically a superpower that you can get immediately upon joining Darwin's game. No drawbacks or exchanges, the game will just give it to you without asking for anything.

Well, given the true nature of the game itself, which is a death game where Players have to kill each other to level up, that is no surprising fact.

But, despite how generous the game is, there's one catch to it... the Sigil that will be given to you is pretty randomized. It can range from a shitty one or probably the most basic ability where it's even questionable if it's a superpower in the first place, to the most outright broken ability.

Now one can understand why am i not so hot about getting my Sigil since, given how unlucky I am most of the time, the chance of me getting a pretty useless ability is high.

Overall, all I could do is pray. Pray that I could get a useful one at least. No matter how tiny it is, as long as it can be used for combat, I'll be happy for it already.

Though, no matter how excited I am when it comes to the topic of joining the game and finally getting my first superpower, I decided to just postpone it for a day.

Well, I gotta prepare myself first, don't I?

In the first place, there's no need for me to rush things out.

But of course, I know that I can't slack off too much given how the future of this world turned out to be. An apocalyptic mess.

But I have enough time.

In the manga, before that future came to be, the world itself is already in chaos. Even the Players are not hiding anymore and Sigil is already known to the most of Public already.

But right now, after doing some simple internet research, the cases of weird things happening within the city are still, pretty minimal. Hinting that there's no need for me to worry about such a future yet.

Though there are already sightings of weird "artistic" square carvings that are shaped like a person on some random spot within the city.

Meaning, Player killings are already going on.

Though on the topic of how far I am on the Canon already, well, at the very least I'm not that deep. Heck, there's even a chance that the Canon itself has yet to start, given that Darwin's game is already pretty well known to the public before the MC of this world even joined the game.

Actually, speaking of joining the game, if my memory serves me right, once a new Player joined, their presence will be announced to other Players. The type of Player and how many will be notified is quite unknown, but I am sure that the chance of that happening to me as well is pretty high.

There's also this fact that my personal information, to some extent, will be revealed as well. Like how your name will be your username and your displayed avatar is literally your face.

Normally, this would be fine and I would hardly bat an eye. In the first place, that's how most companies these days work. But Darwin's game is not a normal game. In this kind of environment, making my information public is literally the last thing I would want.

Hence, why I did some preparation in the first place.

Actually... there's not much to my plan really. All I planned to do is just to wear a costume before joining the game so my avatar will not be my face. But of course, this is not foolproof, the game might ignore it and reveal my face anyway after I join.

Well, there's not much I can do. In the first place, I don't have that much information regarding how the avatar and naming were being processed by the game.

But still, at least I'll do whatever I can do.

And that I did that's why I spent a day going around the city, buying costumes at cosplay shops and other stuff that I deemed useful. Not only that but I did some scouting for some good places as well. Good places that I can probably use for some future "activities".

Now to explain my overall drip, well... just imagine a modernized Plague Doctor in a tactical combat suit. Honestly, it's the only thing I could find that could cover my entire face without making me look like a bank robber.

In any case, another day has already passed since then, and the moment when I'll join the game has finally arrived.

As planned, I am currently in the comfort of my own room, wearing a sick costume that covers my whole body and face, while staring at my phone that displays the home page of Darwin's game.

Ready to click the big red button that displays the word JOIN anytime now.

Might I mention that I blocked my windows and doors as well cause I remember that upon joining, the MC of this world passed out. Well, I do remember as well that the game won't start immediately upon joining and there's probably a couple of hours before that but... it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

If I really do pass out, I will be leaving myself unguarded. Just imagine the fuckery that might happen while that is happening.

In any case, moments later, after making sure that everything is already on set and that I missed nothing... I finally pressed the [JOIN] button.

Then...

*Swooosh!*

"Ack!"

My body made a surprised gesture as all of a sudden, a big black snake peeked outside the screen of my phone, and before I could even react, it was already biting my neck.

Well, I am already prepared for it cause I know that this will happen. But I just can't help but still be surprised due to how sudden it is.

Thankfully though, I felt no pain from the bite and everything happened only for an instant.

But, after that snake biting, as I expected, I started feeling light-headed all of a sudden. Hinting that, I am about to pass out.

Well, I am already sitting on the bed so I don't have to worry about falling face-first on the floor. That's why I didn't fight the feeling, and just gave in to it. There's nothing I could do to fight it anyway even if I want to.

I just laid back on the bed, watching myself sink into the pit of darkness bit by bit while letting the magic itself do its job.

The fact that a gift was already being prepared and will be served to me once I open my eyes again unknowingly puts a smile on my face. Can't help myself but be happy for the upcoming change.

Now whether that change is for the better side or worse side...

Well, at this point, all I could do is just hope that the god of this world smiles upon me and gives me something that I can actually use.

But I am aware that being picky is nothing but a luxury I don't have.

It's just as the saying goes... beggars can't be choosers.

_______________________________________________

AN: I already have a sigil in mind but, feel free to suggest me your ideas as well. I might use it instead if I think that it's much better.

 

I also created my own Pat-reon. Come join if you want to read the advanced chapters I already made.

 

www.Pat-reon.com/Socksniffer

8