Chapter Five: The Job
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After confirming the paperwork Mrs. Sharon exchanges the briefcase I had for a nice leather sheath in order to more properly carry the dagger around.

I thank her and make my way through the long winding halls passing by various people, who keep out of my path whilst I made my way to James's little cubicle in the office space that makes up the Freelancer's Division.

I could never imagine working a desk job.

An older large, barrel-chested man with oily black hair turned around to face me from the many files on his desk, "Hey Mikey! Its good to see yah."

I give him a mock two finger salute in response.

James turns around to look at the clock on his wall just as the hour and minute hand struck 12:00.

"Punctual as per usual Mikey, and I am glad you are," James smooths back his hair and starts to dig through the scattered mess of files before pulling out a small file labeled 'Rosette'.

I frown at this, "Rosette? Like George and Anna Rosette?"

"That's right! I knee you'd catch on Mikey fast, and I am going to need to know if your on or not before I can give yah this. It is pretty confidential."

And they gave it to the most disorganized worker here, well I guess you can't lose secrets if you can't find them to begin with.

"That is wayyy to vague for me James, I am going to need to know pay before I consider some random  mystery job from a bunch of pompous, old money aristocrats."

James raises his head with a sly grin holding up ten fingers, "Ten,"

I raise my brow, "Ten thousand ain't much for such a high class case James."

He rolls his eyes, "Not ten thousand, ten million."

Holy shit.

"What the hell James, am I being sent to kill the President?"

"I can tell you it isn't killing somebody, but unless you accept I can't tell you anymore about this case Mikey."

I scratch my neck as I think about why people like Rosettes would need to outsource a problem to the Association, they don't really deal with Fleets, occult items, or anything to do with the Rifts; and if they did they have many private experts they could hire for a much cheaper price.

But I have to admit, I am a sucker for a good mystery.

I smile and hold out my hand, "We got a case James."

He jumps up with a jubilant smile, "That's my boy! Now we can get down to the nitty gritty, but not here, tomorrow at the Rosette's splace. They are going to want to meet you in private to discuss more sensitive details of this file."

I should have figured as much, wouldn't be the first time a client has wanted me to meet them at their home instead of my office.

"Also Mr. Lindemann wants to see you before you leave, says it's urgent."

I nod and give another mock salute to James as bid him goodbye and take the nearby elevator to meet the Director of Amalgam's branch of the Association.

He was a man I have only met twice before and our talks were short and brief.

Always straight to the point, it's the kinda thing I like.

The elevator door open to a more humble looking waiting room as I see a pretty brunette secretary sitting behind a fairly modest desk, in a fairly modest room.

She glaces up from her paper work pushing her glasses up, "Name?"

"Michael Bloom, miss,"

She grabs a clipboard trailing a pen above the paper, "Okay Mr. Bloom, please take a seat and let me notify Mr. Lindemann." She says picking up the landline next to her.

Sitting down take out my notepad looking at my schedule, jotting down the meet for tomorrow at the Rosette's estate.

"Mr. Bloom, you can head in now."

The door behind the secretary opens and I am ushered through into a giant in door courtyard and see a very tall man with salt and pepper hair and a fine red silk suit with a very sour expression resting on his face.

He motions to take a seat by his finely made desk that rests in the pavilion in the middle of the courtyard, and I noticed all the furnishings was very high class.

Hints of ivory, silk, and white gold outlined or accented the pitch black wood of everything man made here. Not to mention the outrageously bright and beautiful flowers that decorated this place.

I believe this is supposed to be a scare tactic of sorts used by the Director, the homey interior of the office that expands out to this enormous place full of wealth and natural beauty invokes a sense of awe and shows a large wealth disparity between you and the Director.

It's how I'd imagine a king would like to present himself.

I take a seat and hear his bassy and smooth voice ring out, "Mr. Bloom let me cut to the chase, this case that you've recently accepted is a very sensitive thing for this Association. Hence why I handed the files over to your case handler James Jones,"

Wait, how did he already know I accept the case? Files don't get pushed through til the following day.

The Director's lips faintly twitched into a light smirk before fading back to the same stone faced expression.

"Anyways Mr. Bloom I'd like you to know that the Association is standing behind you if you need any assistance, Freelancer or not we are willing to help."

Help? There will be a cold day in Hell before an Agent helps me.

That same smirk flashes across his faces once more as he stands holding out his hand.

"Do we have an understanding Mr. Bloom?"

I stand and shake his hand, "I believe we do Sir."

"Good," he hands me a gold coin about the size of my palm with a stork printed in both sides.

"Travel fees on the house Mr. Bloom."

I nod, thank him, and flip the coin in visioning where I want to be.

"Home,"

A golden cloud surrounds me as the coin explodes and I feel a rushing feel pass over me, seeing nothing but the shimmering gold around me.

Then I find myself standing in my living room.

I plop down on the couch and pull out the dagger from its sheath eying the blade, "So, tell me what did you mean by the body made you do it? Did you know Dr. Harris?"

The chime voice rings out once more in a sad and longing tone, "Its a long story."

I set the blade on the coffee table leaning forward, "Trust me, I got nothing but time."


Please let me know what you think in the comments below.

2